These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] Attack Cruisers

First post First post
Author
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#301 - 2012-09-20 00:35:17 UTC
Ashera Yune wrote:
The fact that its better to shield tank the thorax than it is to armor proves that the gallente armor blaster philosophy is broken.

The shield talos is one of the best blaster ships in the game. Fast, mobile, and does lots of damage.

While the failtastic active armor tanking Hyperion is rare used compared to the megathron and its variants.

The Hype has 5 mid slots and is surprisingly fast and agile for a battleship. You should check that bad boy out shield tanked! It totally dominates the Tempest at the BS-playing-as-a-BC role. The Mach cheats. P

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Garr Earthbender
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#302 - 2012-09-20 01:26:34 UTC
Hmm.. You think the 800mm plate would allow the T1 logi enough time to lock it and rep it a little bit? Don't get me wrong, I really wanna fit a 1600 on my omen. However, if an 800 and T1 logi works together then I'm good with that.

-Scissors is overpowered, rock is fine. -Paper

OT Smithers
Did he say Jump
Dock Workers
#303 - 2012-09-20 01:52:24 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
OT Smithers wrote:
On first glance the Caracal changes looked a bit flacid. Where other already exceptional cruisers become still more epic, the Caldari joke boat would only become useable.

After reading the proposed missile changes I see now that this initial impression was in error. The Caracal will end up worse off than it is today -- a cruiser pushing the DPS of a T1 frigate.

The Caracal's DPS is gone into earlier in the thread. It's able to fit a 3 BCU setup with HML, MWD, and LSE and come away with a very reasonable tank and copious amounts of ewar. Furthermore, its DPS difference is pretty minor. You're making a big deal about nothing.

IMO the Caracal and the Thorax are THE standouts of this boost, the Stabber is coming out alright, and the Omen is a steaming pile of **** in practical PVP.

-Liang

Get serious :)

Almost no one is using the Caracal today, and for bloody good reason. Now they are talking a 20% damage nerf plus the addition of added damage reduction in the form of TD's.

You have a mediocre tank, DPS half that of an AF, no neut, two small drones, and it's not even particularly fast.... What exactly are you gonna kill with it?

Again, people aren't using it NOW. Why in God's name would they use it when every other cruiser and frigate in the game just got significantly better while this ship got nerfed?

Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#304 - 2012-09-20 03:09:12 UTC
OT Smithers wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
OT Smithers wrote:
On first glance the Caracal changes looked a bit flacid. Where other already exceptional cruisers become still more epic, the Caldari joke boat would only become useable.

After reading the proposed missile changes I see now that this initial impression was in error. The Caracal will end up worse off than it is today -- a cruiser pushing the DPS of a T1 frigate.

The Caracal's DPS is gone into earlier in the thread. It's able to fit a 3 BCU setup with HML, MWD, and LSE and come away with a very reasonable tank and copious amounts of ewar. Furthermore, its DPS difference is pretty minor. You're making a big deal about nothing.

IMO the Caracal and the Thorax are THE standouts of this boost, the Stabber is coming out alright, and the Omen is a steaming pile of **** in practical PVP.

-Liang

Almost no one is using the Caracal today, and for bloody good reason. Now they are talking a 20% damage nerf plus the addition of added damage reduction in the form of TD's.

You have a mediocre tank, DPS half that of an AF, no neut, two small drones, and it's not even particularly fast.... What exactly are you gonna kill with it?

Again, people aren't using it NOW. Why in God's name would they use it when every other cruiser and frigate in the game just got significantly better while this ship got nerfed?

T1 cruisers, including the Caracal, are used in FacWar all of the time. This is a nice buff to it.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#305 - 2012-09-20 04:18:32 UTC
I vote we change the stabber to a class of "War Frigate" or "Battle Frigate" - a stepping hull to the Vaga the real Cruiser hull... it seems to fit that role more than the current cruiser hull role.

On a serious note - 4/4 fit HS would be nice, 15/15 drone bay... that would be a nice thought.
Sycotic Deninard
Basgerin Pirate
#306 - 2012-09-20 04:24:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Sycotic Deninard
Interesting changes for the Caracal. On one hand it looks like its getting a much needed buff but on the other hand it looks like Heavy Missiles are getting nerfed. I guess we will have to see how the weapon platform pans out to see if this ship is going to be viable or not. Im not going to hold my breath as many in the game want to see missile boats dissapear completely including the devs.

A person that does'nt use his intelligence is no better than an animal that does'nt have any and thus are steaks on the table by choice and consent.

Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#307 - 2012-09-20 04:59:52 UTC
OT Smithers wrote:

Almost no one is using the HML Caracal today, and for bloody good reason. Now they are talking a 20% damage nerf plus the addition of added damage reduction in the form of TD's...

Fixed that for you. The Caracal is the supreme anti-frigate cruiser platform only challenged by the RF Stabber .. if some tweaks are made, in particular to HAM fittings, the Caracal of tomorrow will indeed be a wolf among sheep and will have unsurpassed flexibility (RoF bonus description).

TD spam has been on the increase for some time, especially in low-sec/FW, and missile user will need to compensate for that .. but we gun toting maniacs have been living with TDs since birth and are still around and still flying our gunships.

That said: Suggested TD changes will hurt solo/small-gang to no end so something has to be done to soften the blow. Not sure when/what the eWar revision is but in the meantime I think that giving TDs the ECM treatment (reduce mod effect, increase hull bonus) is the only way to make it work as is .. the spam will be horrendous and the cries for help will equal that of 'becauseoffalcon' as combat becomes boring to the extreme with winning hulls all having minimum of 4 mids (prop, tackle, TD Big smile)
Michael Harari
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#308 - 2012-09-20 05:08:43 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:

That said: Suggested TD changes will hurt solo/small-gang to no end so something has to be done to soften the blow. Not sure when/what the eWar revision is but in the meantime I think that giving TDs the ECM treatment (reduce mod effect, increase hull bonus) is the only way to make it work as is .. the spam will be horrendous and the cries for help will equal that of 'becauseoffalcon' as combat becomes boring to the extreme with winning hulls all having minimum of 4 mids (prop, tackle, TD Big smile)

I had a roam through FW space yesterday in my retribution, and the only things I found to fight me were sentinels, cynabals and swarms of TD firetails.
Soon Shin
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#309 - 2012-09-20 05:58:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Soon Shin
The thorax needs more powergrid, other wise people will just say **** it and shield tank it.

The omen is the odd ship out of them all because it is stuck with slow armor tanking. Attack ships are supposed to be fast and mobile ships, the omen goes against this philosophy since it is pigeonholed into armor tanking.

The stabber should have 5 turrets and a 25 m3 drone bay, remove one or both missile slots.

The caracal should have a 25 m3 drone bay. Reduce the mass on the caracal as well, I don't see why it should be heavier than gallente ship.
Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#310 - 2012-09-20 06:57:58 UTC
OT Smithers wrote:

Naw. they are totally serious. The Crapacal is gonna be a long distance BEAST! According to these forums you just need to pair it up with a rapier and an Arazu to keep your target in place. 'Course why you wouldn't bring an Oracle or Naga in that situation is beyond me. But apparently the Crapacal will be awesome in that situation. EvE-Forums told me so.

Soon Shin wrote:
The caracal should have a 25 m3 drone bay. Reduce the mass on the caracal as well, I don't see why it should be heavier than gallente ship.
Cuz every ship should have a full flight of drones. Especially Caldari!
Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
#311 - 2012-09-20 07:17:10 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:

[roleplaying]
As a Gallente I find it offensive to give them filthy Caldari more dronesTwisted
[/roleplaying]

Seriously no, we will have too many ships with small drone bays ( usually used for ECM I fear ). Drones everywhere. Besides it's a missile boat, it doesn't need drones to hit smaller targets like gun boats.

More mass == smaller boost to speed when using AB or MWD.

You can't expect Caldari missile boats to be nearly as fast as Gallente when you can spew missiles from afar while we need to get very close to do anything meaningful in most cases.
Alara IonStorm
#312 - 2012-09-20 07:36:44 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:

The omen is the odd ship out of them all because it is stuck with slow armor tanking. Attack ships are supposed to be fast and mobile ships, the omen goes against this philosophy since it is pigeonholed into armor tanking.

It should be pigeonholed into Armor Tanking, the real question is why as an Armor Ship its strength is lacking then fix that instead of cramming shield extenders on it.

I am gonna bet no one will be saying fix the new Moa you are pigeonholing it into shields, it is supposed to be a heavy combat cruiser. An Armor Attack Cruiser should have good speed but a bit less then Shield to utilize the combination of good speed and small sig.
Soon Shin wrote:

The stabber should have 5 turrets and a 25 m3 drone bay, remove one or both missile slots.

Amen.

The caracal should have a 25 m3 drone bay. Reduce the mass on the caracal as well, I don't see why it should be heavier than gallente ship.[/quote]
20m3 would be nice for a HAM version and missions.

I think it should go:

Gal: 50m3
Amr: 40m3
Min: 30m3
Cal: 20m3

For attack Cruisers.

Honestly I would push it a bit further for the Thorax. 75m3 Drone Bay + 50 Bandwidth.
Vladimir Norkoff wrote:
Cuz every ship should have a full flight of drones. Especially Caldari!

Around a full flight sure once you get into Cruiser territory. Their Drone Bays on Combat Ships should be in the area of magnitude of the Tier 1 and 2 Battlecruisers who use the same size weapons.
Sigras
Conglomo
#313 - 2012-09-20 07:49:35 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
CCP Fozzie,
Can you look at the following T2 charges for winter too
Hail -50% Range 0.7x tracking
Void -25% range 0.75x tracking
Conflagration -50% range 0.7x tracking
These are all close range charges and they all have a penalty to tracking as well as range, any chance the tracking penalty could be adjusted to a tracking bonus?

no please; there should be a reason to use the navy ammo over the T2.

T2 adds additional damage at the cost of tracking, faction ammo adds less damage and doesnt take away from your tracking . . . problem?
Sigras
Conglomo
#314 - 2012-09-20 07:53:52 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:
Reduce the mass on the caracal as well, I don't see why it should be heavier than gallente ship.

blaster optimal = 3.6 km
heavy missile optimal = 63 km
Caracal = Range bonus

questions?
Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
#315 - 2012-09-20 08:11:53 UTC
Sigras wrote:

questions?

Yes, one.
What is your favourite colour?
Iyica de Tylmarand
Doomheim
#316 - 2012-09-20 08:53:00 UTC
The will the bonus changes flow through to HACs? I.e. will the Deimos get a tracking bonus and will the Vagabond get two fall off bonuses? Or will HACs be dealt with in a seperate patch?

Also, if the missile changes are implemented, HML caracals I feel will be left behind. Yes additional BCUs will make up for the damage nerf of HMs, but that just means it stays roughly the same while all the other t1 cruisers get buffed. Frig killing Rapid Light Caracals on the other hand will see significantly more use.
Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#317 - 2012-09-20 08:55:46 UTC
Iyica de Tylmarand wrote:
The will the bonus changes flow through to HACs? I.e. will the Deimos get a tracking bonus and will the Vagabond get two fall off bonuses? Or will HACs be dealt with in a seperate patch?

Also, if the missile changes are implemented, HML caracals I feel will be left behind. Yes additional BCUs will make up for the damage nerf of HMs, but that just means it stays roughly the same while all the other t1 cruisers get buffed. Frig killing Rapid Light Caracals on the other hand will see significantly more use.

How will the Caracal fall behind? HMLs are still good compared to other long range weapon systems.

It is unrealistic to expect HMLs to compete with close range weapon systems at close ranges.
Sigras
Conglomo
#318 - 2012-09-20 09:08:58 UTC
Tomcio FromFarAway wrote:
Sigras wrote:

questions?

Yes, one.

blue . . .

wait i mean yellooOOOOoooooooo . . .
Alara IonStorm
#319 - 2012-09-20 09:21:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Sigras wrote:
Sigras wrote:

questions?

Yes, one.

blue . . .

You should really wait until they are finished rebalancing colours to decide this.
Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
#320 - 2012-09-20 09:22:41 UTC
Sigras wrote:
Sigras wrote:

questions?

Yes, one.

blue . . .

Damn.

I was about to ask about air speed velocity of unladen swallow next.
Maybe next time.