These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Scammers

First post
Author
EglantinFinfleur
Ecpyrosis
#21 - 2012-09-19 01:20:54 UTC  |  Edited by: EglantinFinfleur
Scammers don't take advantage of stupidity. They take advantage of the fact that gamers actually believe that EvE is a game, that is, an activity that brings people together for the enjoyment of all, in a collective effort to have fun and a good time together.

Little do they know that CCP discovered that online sociopathy and masochism is a bountiful niche.

That wouldn't be as big of a problem if you could actually enact revenge against the scammers, but it's absolutely impossible since scammers use throwaway or never-undocking alts, and you cannot know which characters belong to the same player, if you'd ever wish to take action against other characters controlled by him.

This is why scamming can be considered as the epitome and most sweet pvp in EvE. It's absolutely void of consequences and takes zero effort except copypasting in local. You can also ridicule the victims, pretend they're utterly dumb and you're doing New Eden a social darwinism service by getting rid of those people, who are in fact standard gamers who naively believe that EvE is a game.

When it's fact it's a frustration and sociopathy based social network platform for sadists, masochists and sci-fi fiends waiting for a better universe that actually behaves like a game.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Remember, this sort of scam fails 100% of the time when you take 5 seconds to read the contract.

Caveat emptor.

That sort of stuff belongs IRL, where you double-check contracts to make sure you're not being played. It has no place in an online game, which is supposed to help you unwind, where everybody should have fun and in which you should assess, as a game designer, the fact that people who don't know each other will willingly take advantage of random strangers in the most vicious ways. And though EvE is supposed to be a cold harsh universe, it could be in ways that make it fun (RPG) and not an experience in paranoia.
Also, I don't see where's the cold harsh universe for the individual that uses permadocked alts to copypaste scams in local. He never faces retribution, ever.

In a game where you roleplay a pod pilot who can single-handedly control a spacecraft and access all kinds of information through automation, the scams as of now are just blatant bad game design pandering to sadists and masochists. You'd think that in New Eden, software would double-check everything in the contract so the pod pilot isn't scammed.

Now, if there were skills to actually create false contracts or other sorts of scams, and a way to get back at the scammer, that's what I'd call great game design.

However, why bother creating something coherent when players are dumb enough to enjoy using a game not as a game, but as an online S&M experience?
Space Therapist
Better Days Ahead
#22 - 2012-09-19 01:24:32 UTC
Shadow Ripper wrote:
Space Therapist wrote:
seeing how scammers have to work for their isk ....just as any others in eve and chatting with many of them

what chat? they just link a contract and hope some sucker clicks it

well contact scams aside...I do talk a lot with scammers.

See my bio for rates and services.

Pix Severus
Empty You
#23 - 2012-09-19 01:27:11 UTC
Every contract is a scam, even the legit ones.

Use the market.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

ErrorRon
Turbo-Encabulator LLC
#24 - 2012-09-19 01:45:34 UTC
1/10
:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtItWL6GfSM CCP Gargant -  Dev of my heart.

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#25 - 2012-09-19 03:57:29 UTC
Space Therapist wrote:
Shadow Ripper wrote:
Space Therapist wrote:
seeing how scammers have to work for their isk ....just as any others in eve and chatting with many of them

what chat? they just link a contract and hope some sucker clicks it

well contact scams aside...I do talk a lot with scammers.

haha me too.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#26 - 2012-09-19 03:59:03 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:

Use the market.

But my booster addiction ~

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Ghazu
#27 - 2012-09-19 05:30:33 UTC
Stop gawking like a lost tourist.

http://www.minerbumping.com/ lol what the christ https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2299984#post2299984

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#28 - 2012-09-19 05:43:10 UTC
It does seem silly that Concord allow people to scam so blatantly in local. It's not like they're good scams and I can't imagine it's all that profitable for the scammers either. On the other hand, it does add life to Jita local to give it that third world street market appeal... you know the kind of place where they beg tourists to buy their fake Rolex watches or some souvenir junk. Maybe India or somewhere like that.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2012-09-19 05:54:33 UTC
EglantinFinfleur wrote:
That sort of stuff belongs IRL, where you double-check contracts to make sure you're not being played. It has no place in an online game, which is supposed to help you unwind, where everybody should have fun and in which you should assess, as a game designer, the fact that people who don't know each other will willingly take advantage of random strangers in the most vicious ways. And though EvE is supposed to be a cold harsh universe, it could be in ways that make it fun (RPG) and not an experience in paranoia.

right, games are 100% supposed to always be about "unwinding", Chess is a game, a game that is 90% of the time frustrating and taken way too seriosuly, same with football, soccer, and hell, any game out there that is competitive is rarely played for NOTHING but fun.

EvE's sandbox means that competition in this game is higher then most any other MMO, and because you cant just casually rank your character to max level with epic-loot-purples like in WoW, instead having to actually play and crush OTHERS to get ahead, yeah, there wont be much "casual relax, happy fun time" in eve.

i apologize if im incoherent, i just had dental work after an 18 hour shift at work and i am spacing the hell out.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2012-09-19 07:45:50 UTC
well lets be honest here. What happened was
contract was
- you pay 350 mil
- you get plex
-you also pay plex

it SHOULD have failed unless he had a plex in his hanger to start, but it doesn't. the game takes your isk, gives you a plex then takes it right back. when in reality it shouldn't, yea it is an old scam but it is confusing to newer players and tbh it's stupid.
I am all for scams, but it might as well be considered a bug in the contract system that never got fixed.
smokess
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-09-19 08:02:06 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
It does seem silly that Concord allow people to scam so blatantly in local. It's not like they're good scams and I can't imagine it's all that profitable for the scammers either. On the other hand, it does add life to Jita local to give it that third world street market appeal... you know the kind of place where they beg tourists to buy their fake Rolex watches or some souvenir junk. Maybe India or somewhere like that.

Why? Concord provide consequences for criminal actions according to very strict rules. The lore states they never deviate from them. I can fully see why they would not interfer with local given that commercial interaction is not their remit.

'They' probably take the stance, as should most people I think, that you are responsible for your own failings in game. Read the contract before you click accept (it takes 10 seconds of your time) and you will never be scammed.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2012-09-19 08:04:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Herping yourDerp wrote:
well lets be honest here. What happened was
contract was
- you pay 350 mil
- you get plex
-you also pay plex

it SHOULD have failed unless he had a plex in his hanger to start, but it doesn't. the game takes your isk, gives you a plex then takes it right back. when in reality it shouldn't, yea it is an old scam but it is confusing to newer players and tbh it's stupid.
I am all for scams, but it might as well be considered a bug in the contract system that never got fixed.

Interesting. I though it only works "against" people who buy several plex at once (and thus have that plex they are supposed to pay accordingly to the contract). But it's not like EVE doesn't check if you have requested items when contract is accepted, so if it indeed works this way, it's strange and smells like intended (if lame) design.

Still, reading your contract works fine.
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#33 - 2012-09-19 11:25:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
For every repetitive copypasta in local in Jita CONCORD should take tax in logarythmic order, from 1M to the infinity.

Or taxation of local chat channel use based on amount of people in system. That should be enough.
Vojk
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2012-09-19 11:47:32 UTC
Shadow Ripper wrote:

pricks

MAI NOT REAL MONAIEZ D:

MAI SPAECSHIPZ D:

Relax brother. They're having fun, I suggest you do the same.
Zeran Kariashi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-09-19 11:51:16 UTC
I fail to see a problem here. Read the contract...simple as that, or simply don't use contracts period if you're really paranoid. With exception of contraband or large scale shipping there are few things you really need to bother with contracts anyway, just use the market for everything else.

99.99999999997% of people playing Eve know it's reputation for scamming, ganking, and all-round douchebaggery before they even get started, and anyone that forgets that suffers their due fate.

That said, I actually find Eve to be one of the most relaxing games I've ever played, because there's no rush to top, no overarching story-based goal that goads you onward, real-time constant training removes the need to sweat over any downtime or worry about wasting game time since your character is chugging right on along whether you play or not. You do what you want to do, at the pace you want to do it. Nothing more, nothing less. There's very few games that can genuinely claim the same. You take a little bit of precaution and minimize your risks and can have a very enjoyable experience.
flakeys
Doomheim
#36 - 2012-09-19 12:04:29 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:

Use the market.

Hello margin trade Blink

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#37 - 2012-09-19 12:11:05 UTC
Remember, this sort of scam fails 100% of the time when you take 5 seconds to read the contract.

Caveat emptor.

tbh if CCP just banned the spambots right away there would be much less spam and actual scams with effort.

The problem is more the constant spam than the actual scam. Just taking a look at how many bots there are in Jita makes you realize that the scam is not the problem but the spam.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#38 - 2012-09-19 12:42:13 UTC
Spam spAm SpAm sPaM spAM SpaM spam.

More spam.

Spam with eggs, spam with ham,
spam with bread, spam with spam.

^Jita local.

Tax the bastards.
flakeys
Doomheim
#39 - 2012-09-19 12:45:44 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
Chribba wrote:

Caveat emptor.

tbh if CCP just banned the spambots right away there would be much less spam and actual scams with effort.

The problem is more the constant spam than the actual scam. Just taking a look at how many bots there are in Jita makes you realize that the scam is not the problem but the spam.

/c

I know someone - might be you chribba- had a graph a few years back showing how often specific people spammed their scams/contract on a daily and hourly base in jita showing they could only have been automated spams.Wondering if CCP even gave that thread a look ...

For myself i never even look at jita local , even when i'm trading there i got it shut down it's 99 % crap/scam anywayz.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Robert De'Arneth
#40 - 2012-09-19 12:49:08 UTC
Our CEO just got scammed on the Faction mod scam, lost 800 mil. A few things he did not do, come here and cry, come to corp and cry, come to TS and cry. He took the razzing he was given in corp, and went back to making ISK. The reason he did not do those things was pretty simple, it was not the scammers fault, it was his. Big smile

There are many games that will hold your hand and allow you to dance and sing in circles with your freinds, EVE is not one of them.

I'm a nerd, you can check my stats!! Skilling Int/Mem at 45 sp per minute is how I mack!     I'm like a lapdog, all bark no bite.