These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

The grammar **** and other low priority fixes thread

First post
Author
Raptros
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#21 - 2012-09-15 14:52:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Raptros
Raptros
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#22 - 2012-09-15 14:54:51 UTC
Vojk wrote:
Doddy wrote:
Vojk wrote:
Raptros wrote:
Whenever my name is in wallet transactions and stuff like that it says Raptros's instead of Raptros'

Apostrophes are added to singular nouns followed by an s if they end in s, or indeed any other letter.

Plural nouns are the ones that get the apostrophe alone afterwards.

Because there is only one Raptros - Raptros's is correct. However, should Raptros be the plural representing more than one Raptro, then Raptros' would be correct.

Dig?

Now you have ruined it for him :)

I apologise profusely, and without reservation.

Nevermind. I just thought it looked weird.

But this:

"If the singular possessive is difficult or awkward to pronounce with an added sibilant, do not add an extra s; these exceptions are supported by The Guardian, Yahoo! Style Guide, The American Heritage Book of English Usage Such sources permit possessive singulars like these: Socrates' later suggestion; or Achilles' heel if that is how the pronunciation is intended."

But I don't see how CCP would program this for player names.
mkint
#23 - 2012-09-15 14:55:17 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:
adopt wrote:
How about CCP spells "Armour" and "Defence" correctly as well?

You're just spelling stuff like french people.

Nah, the French spellings for those are 'please don't shoot' and putting up white flags.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Skorpynekomimi
#24 - 2012-09-15 14:58:50 UTC
IMO, you SHOULD send bug reports for typos and spelling errors and suchlike. CCP doesn't have the time to spot every single last one everywhere.
You obviously DO have the time to spot them, so report them to those who can fix them.

Economic PVP

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#25 - 2012-09-15 16:06:58 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
adopt wrote:
How about CCP spells "Armour" and "Defence" correctly as well?

We're standardized on US English spelling. As a Brit that makes me immensely sad, but that's our policy and it'll continue to be that way for the foreseeable future Smile

I thought Armour was the younger of the two words and Defence according to dictionary britanica.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Paul Oliver
Doomheim
#26 - 2012-09-15 16:12:20 UTC
Well hek being a yankee and such I'd be mighty happy with an in game option to convert kilometres into miles, yes sir. P
Its good to be [Gallente](http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1209/QEQlJ.jpg).
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-09-15 16:23:19 UTC
I propose CCP changes spelling to ebonics

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Paul Oliver
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-09-15 16:43:15 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
I propose CCP changes spelling to ebonics
Yo ah would gladly support yo' idea in any way dat ah can sho 'nuff!
Its good to be [Gallente](http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1209/QEQlJ.jpg).
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#29 - 2012-09-15 17:33:19 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Saede Riordan wrote:
Anytime you see things like this, you should file a bug report. CCP have said numerous times that they're not gods, they do miss things sometimes, and having stuff pointed out is the first step in fixing it.

This. We fix stacks of typos every release, it just doesn't get noted in the patchnotes because there's so many of them and most people don't really care that we removed an apostrophe.

When a bug report is filed - when do we know that it was fixed? I've seen "attached" as one state, but for the many, many bug reports that I have filed I've never seen "closed" or "resolved" or even simply "FIXED FINALLY!"

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#30 - 2012-09-15 17:49:22 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Saede Riordan wrote:
Anytime you see things like this, you should file a bug report. CCP have said numerous times that they're not gods, they do miss things sometimes, and having stuff pointed out is the first step in fixing it.

This. We fix stacks of typos every release, it just doesn't get noted in the patchnotes because there's so many of them and most people don't really care that we removed an apostrophe.

When a bug report is filed - when do we know that it was fixed? I've seen "attached" as one state, but for the many, many bug reports that I have filed I've never seen "closed" or "resolved" or even simply "FIXED FINALLY!"

Normally "Fixed in "release name""

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#31 - 2012-09-15 17:52:29 UTC  |  Edited by: KIller Wabbit
I guess my reports aren't high in the queue, but when you have thousands...

Which brings up an question - what is the bug back log? We harp on the petition backlog all the time - which matters to us individually, but what are the stats that really matter to being able to play the game dependably for everyone?
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#32 - 2012-09-15 18:03:06 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:
I guess my reports aren't high in the queue, but when you have thousands...

Which brings up an question - what is the bug back log? We harp on the petition backlog all the time - which matters to us individually, but what are the stats that really matter to being able to play the game dependably for everyone?

As long as you get a "attached to defect" reply you are good I got a fixed in Helene one sitting in my bug report listSmile.
If you have a bug report that the Bug hunters cant replicate then they will close it saying so and then you have to work with them to clean up your bug report so they can replicate it.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#33 - 2012-09-16 11:22:34 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

And noting all corrected typos and grammar in the patchnotes would probably add a few new ones ;)

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Previous page12