These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Mining going very slow.

Author
Harrison Deep
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-09-15 06:49:55 UTC
I'm in the tutorial and need to deliver 999 x Veldspar to my agent. It's going REALLY slow mining. I've made a bunch of trips to the station in my small ship, (the first one) and only have about 80 now.

What am I missing? Am I being prompted to get a barge for this mission?

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-09-15 06:57:31 UTC
i have wired you the 15,000 (fifteen thousand) isk necessary to just buy the veldspar at the nearest station and just haul it into the mission's hangar

may you never learn how to mine
Harrison Deep
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-09-15 07:01:33 UTC
Thank you!

So mining probably isn't the best way to make a living?
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2012-09-15 07:01:59 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
may you never learn how to mine

Lol A thousand times this.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#5 - 2012-09-15 07:11:22 UTC
Harrison Deep wrote:
I'm in the tutorial and need to deliver 999 x Veldspar to my agent. It's going REALLY slow mining. I've made a bunch of trips to the station in my small ship, (the first one) and only have about 80 now.

I'm a bit worried that you've missed something here. 999 units of Veldspar is less than 100m3 of cargo space. Each cycle of an unbonused Miner I will retrieve 40m3 of ore, which is 400 units of Veldspar. That mission requires at most two trips to the asteroid.

Although you should avoid mining at all costs, you really do need to make sure you read the mission description and pay attention to numbers.

In addition, it's important to understand that the mining missions require you to mine ore from a specific location. It's no use mining Veldspar from system belts all day: you need to mine the ore from the Veldspar rock in the mission site. The site is guarded by rogue drones or a pirate which need to be blown up. Until you do that, the mission can not be completed.
Theangryhobo
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-09-15 07:28:09 UTC
Please don't ever pick up mining. There's too many of us as is, how will I ever make isk with all this competition....

Oraac Ensor
#7 - 2012-09-15 09:30:55 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Harrison Deep wrote:

I'm a bit worried that you've missed something here. 999 units of Veldspar is less than 100m3 of cargo space. Each cycle of an unbonused Miner I will retrieve 40m3 of ore, which is 400 units of Veldspar. That mission requires at most two trips to the asteroid.

^^^This.

In fact, Mara is being over-cautious. Your Velator's cargohold is 135m3, so it will hold 1350 units of Veldspar and the mission needs only one trip unless your hold is already filled with other stuff.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-09-15 10:31:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Make sure you're mining from the location the agent gave you, not a regular asteroid belt. The agent gives you a bookmark to a site with a single veldspar asteroid.

You should be able to get enough Veld in a single trip for that mission and the two that follow.
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#9 - 2012-09-15 17:55:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Nerath Naaris
Indeed some tutorial missions require you to mine the amount in the correct place; only after the correct amount has been mined there will your journal update. Other tutorial missions will just ask you to deliver a certain amount of rock to the agent (Omber or Pyrowhatever it was, I believe), where you are free (and wise) to acquire it from the market.

The same works, I think, with the tutorial missions where you have to deliver some stuff built from a blueprint.

Oh yes, and avoid mining....Cool

Edit:

Harrison Deep wrote:

No, the money´s bad and you are at the very bottom of the Eve-foodchain.

Edit 2: Also, miners are known to snap the necks of babies.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#10 - 2012-09-15 18:00:55 UTC
Quote:

It's really not bad. It's just that the act of mining is considered pretty boring by most of the community, so it's a "bad way to make a living" in the sense that we'd rather cut our genitalia off with a rusty spoon than do it for any length of time.
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-09-15 18:32:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicolo da'Vicenza
Harrison Deep wrote:
Thank you!

Mining has an allure to new players because it's relatively easy to skill into, has guaranteed payout and isn't that hard. On the other hand it has an average/below average paygrade, isn't challenging and has no real options of hitting that big gold motherlode. The challenges facing a 7 year old mining player are the same he was dealing with 2 weeks after subscribing. It is like the burger flipping job at McDonalds. You don't want to get too deeply into a burger flipping career
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-09-15 19:29:01 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
Harrison Deep wrote:
Thank you!

Mining has an allure to new players because it's relatively easy to skill into, has guaranteed payout and isn't that hard. On the other hand it has an average/below average paygrade, isn't challenging and has no real options of hitting that big gold motherlode. The challenges facing a 7 year old mining player are the same he was dealing with 2 weeks after subscribing. It is like the burger flipping job at McDonalds. You don't want to get too deeply into a burger flipping career

Chribba did fine Blink

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-09-17 03:38:24 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
Harrison Deep wrote:
Thank you!

Chribba did fine Blink

Chribba probably makes far more isk on his reputation as a neutral 3rd party than he does mining.
Keno Skir
#14 - 2012-09-17 07:23:29 UTC
Theangryhobo wrote:
how will I ever make isk

You won't, because you are a miner :)
Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-09-17 07:50:20 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
Harrison Deep wrote:
Thank you!

Chribba did fine Blink
Teh powah of Veldspar!!

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#16 - 2012-09-17 11:34:14 UTC
Harrison Deep wrote:

What am I missing? Am I being prompted to get a barge for this mission?

A T2 Miner sucks in 60 m3 ore per minute. 60 m3 of Veldspar is the same as 600 units of Veldspar, so you should be able to suck in the needed ore in 2.5 minute even using a single T1 Miner (400 Veldspar/minute).

So if you only have 80 Veldspar after a long time of roid-sucking, you must be doing something very wrong.
Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-09-17 13:46:23 UTC
Harrison Deep wrote:
Thank you!

Harrison my alt can do mining.

He only started doing it after he had made his fortunes doing several other activities and only after he had maxed all of his mining skills.

Mission running may get repetitive but out of all the activities it grows your standings while you grow your standings with skills.

If you want to mine winter is coming along with this little puppy:

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=72890

If you want to focus on mining. Go to your belt with your mining frigate(you dont have one if your amar) Start mining ore jet a can, fill the can with ore, then come back and retrieve it in a ship with a much larger cargo hold. Dont forget to Bookmark the can so you can warp right to it pick it up and leave.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#18 - 2012-09-17 17:57:40 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:

Confirmed Bear

As much of a pain as it is, and no matter how much some people hate it; it's still necessary to have miners in the game (lest we want to just shoot each other with noobships all day)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#19 - 2012-09-17 19:33:52 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Nerath Naaris wrote:

Confirmed Bear

As much of a pain as it is, and no matter how much some people hate it; it's still necessary to have miners in the game (lest we want to just shoot each other with noobships all day)

^

That, people always complain about miners...yet they forget it's those same miners that mine the minerals that build their ships/ammo/modules they use to blow other people up with.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Shinichi Chiaki
#20 - 2012-09-19 00:27:39 UTC
Cool
Harrison Deep wrote:
Thank you!

Mining is very time-consuming. It's like working for K-Mart as a checkout chick for $9.00 an hour 3 hours a week.

I have sat at my computer for 8-10 hours a day just mining in a noob ship Navitas for one month and 18 days.

I have accumulated in total 260mill ISK. That amounts to small change in Eve.

So it is a very boring, dull, mind-numbing, stupid, foolish and inferior way to earn ISK.

Veni, Vidi, Nemo Vidit Me

12Next page