These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why Ninja Salvaging should be considered an exploit

Author
Doddy
Excidium.
#201 - 2012-09-14 15:19:13 UTC
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Verone wrote:
If you don't like someone taking your stuff, be prepared to do something about it.

Problem is that they are so risk-averse that if there's more than one character from same corp they don't do it because it's possible that they just can't press that iWin button.

It really is cute how all the masterful super-pew dudes assume that people don't "do something about it" because they're afraid. Quite simply, I don't care. Period. You want it? Rock on. Belly-button lint it more appealing than someone dropping into a mission to try griefing. It has zero effect on my day.

But you guys just don't get it. :) I think that's cute.

It could be the guys forum poasting that implies it....

You are right of course the majority of missioners ignore ninjas completely as they couldn't care less.
Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#202 - 2012-09-14 15:23:58 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:
Unless you want to bring an orca into a mission.

I don't probably because I'm that mission runner...

But if you gankers don't know how to use tools CCP gave you... Well, that's not my problem.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#203 - 2012-09-14 15:38:09 UTC
Here is your solution OP:

I don't always mission,
but when I do...
I fly a mission Drake.

100mil isk KM vs. 4bil isk KM, pretty self explanatory.

It is called forgetting about salvage and other horseshit, and blitz for LP with Sec Connections V and Negotiation V.

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Doddy
Excidium.
#204 - 2012-09-14 15:50:33 UTC
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Unless you want to bring an orca into a mission.

I don't probably because I'm that mission runner...

But if you gankers don't know how to use tools CCP gave you... Well, that's not my problem.

You know Orcas can't go into many missions right? And that even when they can slow boating an orca over tens of kilometres of deadspace between rooms is no-ones idea of time well spent? Or that the target can just warp off when you swap ships anyway if they bothered to align?
Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#205 - 2012-09-14 15:58:09 UTC
Doddy wrote:
You know Orcas can't go into many missions right? And that even when they can slow boating an orca over tens of kilometres of deadspace between rooms is no-ones idea of time well spent? Or that the target can just warp off when you swap ships anyway if they bothered to align?

You forgot most important one!

You can't swap ships from Orca's SMB if you are targeted by player or NPC.

But you have good points there. Although there's still a lot of missions without any gates (The Blockade anyone?).
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#206 - 2012-09-14 16:01:38 UTC
Luke Visteen wrote:
use d-scan (set to 2,5AU). when you see combat probes just warp away for 2 minutes.

I can lock most any battleship at 4 AU and most BCs.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#207 - 2012-09-14 16:07:43 UTC
KnowUsByTheDead wrote:
Here is your solution OP:

I don't always mission,
but when I do...
I fly a mission Drake.

100mil isk KM vs. 4bil isk KM, pretty self explanatory.

It is called forgetting about salvage and other horseshit, and blitz for LP with Sec Connections V and Negotiation V.

Blitzing with Drake... Can not compute...
Weiland Taur
The Icarus Expedition
Solyaris Chtonium
#208 - 2012-09-16 15:03:30 UTC

Everything else aside, the OP does highlight a good point in that the seperation between the wreck and the loot contained is just odd. Salvage is valuable. One of the reasons for missioning in certain regions is the potential salvage either for sale or for use. CCP has yet to make a logical explanation as to why the thing contained within the ship is property but the remains of the ship are not.

That having been said, ninja salvagers are so easy to avoid that one makes oneself open to many comments for complaining about them instead of simply highlighting another CCP decision that seems to lack any sort of common sense.
7'62 SKS
Doomheim
#209 - 2012-09-16 15:39:04 UTC  |  Edited by: 7'62 SKS
CCP looked down at the situation, and it was not good, and so CCP created the Noctis to keep the mission runner company and the ninjas at bay. It had massive tractor beam range and salvage bonus and when properly used infuriated and frustrated the ninjas, especially since ninjas could not really use the Noctis due to strange game mechanics involving color and abandonment and other things that make no sense. And CCP saw that this was good and the carebears mostly stopped whining.

And then you came along.

Those who are taking this "salvage is technically loot" argument to heart... Please explain to me why a tractor beam works on "blue" wrecks but not on "yellow" wrecks. Are they not both made of metal? Stop trying to make realism arguments for overturning working game mechanics.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#210 - 2012-09-16 15:47:58 UTC
Weiland Taur wrote:
Everything else aside, the OP does highlight a good point in that the seperation between the wreck and the loot contained is just odd. Salvage is valuable. One of the reasons for missioning in certain regions is the potential salvage either for sale or for use. CCP has yet to make a logical explanation as to why the thing contained within the ship is property but the remains of the ship are not.
They've made a logical explanation ever since it was introduced: salvaging is its own profession, not a way for mission-runners to further pad their wallets.

That's why salvage is the reward you get for salvaging, and not something you get for running missions. That's also why ninja salvagers aren't stealing anything: because they're just getting their own rewards for their own efforts, not taking or denying you yours.

Their decision makes all the sense in the world — it's the complaint that you don't earn stuff for something you never did that is completely pants-on-head-[exceptional-individual].