These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

A dev blog I'd like to see; "Whatever happened to..."

First post
Author
Ugleb
Jotunn Risi
#1 - 2011-10-15 08:45:33 UTC
I think that CCP have been doing better at communicating in the last few weeks, but there is a dev blog I'd like to see in the interests of openness. What happened to those features we thought we would have by now? Are they still in development and why haven't we seen them yet?

Off the top of my head:

* Establishments - is the core of the delay technical (performance), design (not finished/could be better) or both? For all the nay sayers there are alot of players out there who were hoping to see an interesting evolution of EVE from this finally materialise.

* New background nebulae (at fanfest these were talked about as being close to ready and were expected months ago)

* Ship skins/corporation logo's on ships (again at fanfest these appeared to be well along in development)

* Planetary Interaction (wasn't there supposed to have been another update to PI by now? I recall a dev team being allocated to it for the two release cycles after Tyrannis, and an extensive round table at fanfest. I make those cycles Incursion and Incarna, but there was no PI in Incarna or the Winter expansion list)

* Tech 3 frigates (2009 fanfest talked about them as something that was going to be released 'within 6 months', then they were never heard of again)

* Planetary ring and comet mining have been talked about a few times but admittedly never in 'near future' terms.

* Player based contraband system - this was touted at fanfest as being the meat of EVE/Incarna interaction with booster trade going on in establishments. Players as both smugglers and customs officials. Obviously establishments are delayed, but where is this at? Still on the drawing board or in development?

And if you are wondering, yes I have been a regular fanfest attendee over the years and yes I was listening. ;)

While its good to hear what CCP is currently working on, it would also be appeciated to know what happened to all this other stuff we were told about over the past year and beyond.

http://uglebsjournal.wordpress.com/

The Jotunn Risi are now recruiting, Brutor ancestry required in order to best represent the Brutor interest.  Join channel JORIS to learn more!

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#2 - 2011-10-15 09:11:57 UTC
Pushed back there where more background issues with CQ than originally found.

Logos on hiatus, Skins are part of the ship revamps any ship thats been revamped so far qualify for the new skins
Sale of skins had a snag of NEx creating or using items.

New nebula is dependent on third party shipment it will be done when its done.

PI is brushing up for dust its comming soon

Tech 3 frigates on the wish list last time mentioned.

Redoing asteriods still on 'dream list'

Player contraband still on haiatus.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

DarkAegix
Acetech Systems
#3 - 2011-10-15 09:43:11 UTC
Establishments - Were going to be this expansion, but delayed because now CCP want more FiS stuff. They may return Summer 2012.

Nebulae - Were planned for Winter. May be delayed...?

Corp logos - Soon(TM). However, a devblog next week will introduce a new feature. Corp logos fit "feature" perfectly, while 0.0 balance, ship balance, etc do not.

PI - Last time I checked Sisi there was a "Dust view". It didn't work, but the button was there. Look closely at Dust 514's PRs, and you may learn further.

T3 frigs - Soon(TM)

Comet mining/etc - According to very recent CSM summit notes, these are on the We-Would-Like-This-In-The-Future(TM) list. Translation: Wait several years.

Contraband - Was going to be looked at this Winter. Since CCP's redirection and delay of establishments, I'm not so sure.

CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2011-10-15 09:43:53 UTC
Hello Ugleb,

As far as I know, at least one of the things you mention is going to be covered in the upcoming dev blogs, so please stay tuned. I can't promise any exact dates for its release at this point, though.

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Vak'ran
TUIG Inc.
#5 - 2011-10-15 09:59:00 UTC
Apart from the OP's drawing-board stuff - which was mentioned but in most cases a date was never indicated (a.k.a.: don't worry lads, soon(tm)) - how'bout some info on stuff that has actually been pulled in the past. In this past before lessons were learned about communication. Storefronts come to mind.

Vak'Ran is your local unofficial non-dedicated part-time advocate of reading comprehension and proliferation of intelligence on the EVE Online Forums, offering advise and corrections of dubious quality since 2008.

Chaos Incarnate
Faceless Logistics
#6 - 2011-10-15 09:59:57 UTC
There were a couple changes to PI on Sisi the last time it was up with the TiDi/new font/cyno effect build, i imagine there might be a devblog about it soonish as part of the whole winter expansion thing.
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-10-15 10:02:00 UTC
Chaos Incarnate wrote:
There were a couple changes to PI on Sisi the last time it was up with the TiDi/new font/cyno effect build, i imagine there might be a devblog about it soonish as part of the whole winter expansion thing.

The only change I saw was the addition of a sort of Planetary TCU, which was clearly for Dust.
Sarmatiko
#8 - 2011-10-15 10:06:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
Ugleb wrote:
* Ship skins/corporation logo's on ships (again at fanfest these appeared to be well along in development)

Right now in testing for all gellente ships. All ship models (from newbie ship to capitals) have now second mesh with placeholders for corp/alliance logos. So I think we will hear about this feature in nearest blogs.
Sarmatiko
#9 - 2011-10-15 10:06:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
del doublepost
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-10-15 10:07:23 UTC
you forgot about the emerald dream expansion
Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#11 - 2011-10-15 10:11:18 UTC
They have yet to prove that they have learned how to communicate, what you are seeing and erroneously interpreting as "lesson learned" is the usual pre-expansion/patch flood of blogs.

My guess as to why they suddenly shifted focus back to Eve proper, is that their IT guys asked for more storage space for the back-log .... Smile
Chaos Incarnate
Faceless Logistics
#12 - 2011-10-15 10:16:30 UTC
Jada Maroo wrote:
Chaos Incarnate wrote:

The only change I saw was the addition of a sort of Planetary TCU, which was clearly for Dust.

There was a new DUST view and a new command center thing that you couldn't place, but there was also new flying in space stuff I imagine they'll be writing about.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#13 - 2011-10-15 10:33:27 UTC
Soon™

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Ugleb
Jotunn Risi
#14 - 2011-10-15 12:39:05 UTC
Hirana Yoshida wrote:
They have yet to prove that they have learned how to communicate, what you are seeing and erroneously interpreting as "lesson learned" is the usual pre-expansion/patch flood of blogs.

My guess as to why they suddenly shifted focus back to Eve proper, is that their IT guys asked for more storage space for the back-log .... Smile

I said that they have been showing improvement lately, not that I think they've magically fixed everything with their bad habits. Better than terrible doesn't mean great, its a relative statement. ;)

On PI yes I realise that it is going to tie into Dust and I expect to see some changes as Dust gets closer, my question is why we haven't seen anything in Incarna when there was meant to be a dev team dedicated to it for that release cycle.

Vak'ran wrote:
Apart from the OP's drawing-board stuff - which was mentioned but in most cases a date was never indicated (a.k.a.: don't worry lads, soon(tm)) - how'bout some info on stuff that has actually been pulled in the past. In this past before lessons were learned about communication. Storefronts come to mind.

Pretty much my point, most of what I listed was supposedly in active development and was meant to be pretty much out by now from what was said at fanfest back in March.

Storefronts though will be delayed along with establishments, as they are a multiplayer environment and well, an 'establishment'. But I'd still like CCP to explain to us what actually went wrong with establishments as it was meant to be the flagship content of 2011. As it is we're probably looking at an extra year of development.

http://uglebsjournal.wordpress.com/

The Jotunn Risi are now recruiting, Brutor ancestry required in order to best represent the Brutor interest.  Join channel JORIS to learn more!

Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#15 - 2011-10-15 13:02:19 UTC
Tornado.
Zendoren
Aktaeon Industries
#16 - 2011-10-15 13:05:47 UTC
Ravcharas wrote:
Tornado.

❒ Single ❒ Taken ✔ Playing EVE Online

CCP Guard > Where's the shoot button on this thing?

CCP Space Cadet > What's this "offline guns" button do?

Jack bubu
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2011-10-15 13:07:25 UTC
Chaos Incarnate wrote:
Jada Maroo wrote:
Chaos Incarnate wrote:

There was a new DUST view and a new command center thing that you couldn't place, but there was also new flying in space stuff I imagine they'll be writing about.

Orbital customs offices also had to be built with materials and where in fact destructable in nullsec

mkint
#18 - 2011-10-15 15:33:48 UTC
I like how they are adding a griefing engine to PI... if something is horribly designed and un-fun, do everything you can to make it even less fun.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2011-10-15 15:51:16 UTC
Jack bubu wrote:
Chaos Incarnate wrote:
Jada Maroo wrote:
Chaos Incarnate wrote:

Orbital customs offices also had to be built with materials and where in fact destructable in nullsec

Hopefully that won't make it in. Why not just have a ship that receives the launches? That gives us a new ship and is something destructable but isn't sitting there like a duck for everyone to take pot shots at all day. Ships > structures any day.
Tobias Sjodin
Apocalyptic Theorem
#20 - 2011-10-15 15:54:39 UTC
It's all a part of the old CCP policy to talk but not do.

Ronald Reagan: I do not like Sweden, they support communism. Minister: Sir, but Sweden are anti-communist, Sir.  Ronald Reagan: I do not care what kind of communists they are.

123Next page