These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Possible future of ship paints.

Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#21 - 2012-09-10 18:21:15 UTC
Grey Azorria wrote:
Reidar Oskald wrote:
A simple 'Customise' button with sliders for different colours would suffice on each ship, remember those older games where they had a main colour and 2 highlight colours? Same idea, really. That way, you can buy any ship, and then customise its colours. When you sell it, it could go back to a set 'standard' colour, or go coloured. 30 seconds later, you can have it re-customised again for yourself.

Would ruin the art direction, not to mention shaders are a lot more complex than mere colours. From a discusion on ship customisation in the CSM minutes.

CCP Mannbjörn wrote:
it's not just the color that you have to worry
about, but the material (and how it interacts with the lighting). There are just too many knobs that you
would have to fiddle with.

Personally I like the route CCP is going down, ie. several pre-defined skins, and creating different versions of each ship (from what little I know of the render engine, this is by far the easiest option). Remember, this is the earliest incarnation, distribution / creation and the market interface are completely unknown at this point.

Well, at least as the OP and I mentioned, if it stays like this they will hopefully at least incorporate extra divisions underneath the base model in the market listings.

I pretty happy that they are beginning to show up on the test server. Hopefully there will be many other ships to be released with these options at the same time.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2012-09-10 19:45:58 UTC
Are these the models for the different catalysts?

There are like 7 or 8 different Catalysts that have come out over the years. You can view them under the regular Destroyer Market tab on TQ. Just un-click the box at the bottom that says "Only Show Available"

FC, what do?

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#23 - 2012-09-10 19:55:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Roll Sizzle Beef
highonpop wrote:
Are these the models for the different catalysts?

There are like 7 or 8 different Catalysts that have come out over the years. You can view them under the regular Destroyer Market tab on TQ. Just un-click the box at the bottom that says "Only Show Available"

They are the skins for the newly listed catalysts yes.
They have not come out over the years, they are been seen only recently, and have only been on TQ since I believe the last inferno patch.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#24 - 2012-09-10 20:03:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
I'm going to be like a fat kid in a butter shop. Yay Innerzone! Big smile

oops... they are on TQ!

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#25 - 2012-09-10 20:09:19 UTC
I would love it if CCP made a custom ship painter that you could use in CQ (and out of) that would allow you to make a custom skin that you could submit to CCP for approval.

Really, I just want to paint ships for hours on end, that last bit was just to make it have a point beyond my little dreams.
Paul Oliver
Doomheim
#26 - 2012-09-10 20:09:23 UTC
Can't wait till I can fly a yellow Dominix and call it "Yellow Submarine".
Its good to be [Gallente](http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1209/QEQlJ.jpg).
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#27 - 2012-09-10 20:49:24 UTC
I would like to see the other manufacturers give their respective ships a little bump... anything by interbus should have a bump to cargo hold, for example. Maybe Innerzone gets a small ore hold... Intaki gets a spare drone... etc...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#28 - 2012-09-10 20:56:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Gogela wrote:
I would like to see the other manufacturers give their respective ships a little bump... anything by interbus should have a bump to cargo hold, for example. Maybe Innerzone gets a small ore hold... Intaki gets a spare drone... etc...

I quite agree, but if there is going to be any connection to the NEX store they will have to avoid giving them any tweaks or advantages in an effort to keep them cosmetic variations only.

It is quite possible they have chosen to not involve the NEX store at all.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Paul Oliver
Doomheim
#29 - 2012-09-10 21:06:41 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I really hope so, I don't want to spend rl money on "aurum" just to make my ship a nice color then have it ganked.
Its good to be [Gallente](http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1209/QEQlJ.jpg).
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#30 - 2012-09-10 21:07:40 UTC
All I want for xmass is my black crane back Cry
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#31 - 2012-09-10 21:10:23 UTC
Cage Man wrote:
All I want for xmass is my black crane back Cry

I miss the extra thrusters too.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#32 - 2012-09-10 21:13:03 UTC
Paul Oliver wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
I really hope so, I don't want to spend rl money on "aurum" just to make my ship a nice color then have it ganked.

I think for most spending rl money on "aurum" is a last resort for those who are extremely ISK poor.

Metal Icarus
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#33 - 2012-09-10 21:37:22 UTC
non-canon ship skins? wtf? According to the sandbox, all sov holding alliances are canon. (emphasis on sov holding)

I say that much like a the alliance label, alliances should be able to have their own ship colors. As far as manufacturers, sure let highsec be able to enjoy manufacturer specific colors.

Alliances should submit their colors to CCP and CCP would approve them. When you build a ship you should be asked what color scheme? Stock or alliance colors would be your choices in null. In highsec you get the manufactuers depending on what station you are at and your standings (npcs wouldn't just let ANYONE show off their colors)

Not this "lets-flood-the-market" bull crap. Srs, who thought that flooding the market was a good idea should be.... well, told it wasn't good idea.

Evei Shard
Shard Industries
#34 - 2012-09-10 22:00:08 UTC
It might be that corp logos on ships is already in the works.

I've noticed on the ships currently that the racial logo on each ship, or, in the cast of T2's, the manufacturers logo, is a different texture layer than the body of the ship. The logos are much sharper in detail than the ship hull they are on.
This would indicate that there may be a separate texture map for those specific locations. A UV map could allow all of the logos on a ship to be just one small texture, which would be a small file size.

Profit favors the prepared

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#35 - 2012-09-10 22:10:51 UTC
Evei Shard wrote:
It might be that corp logos on ships is already in the works.

I've noticed on the ships currently that the racial logo on each ship, or, in the cast of T2's, the manufacturers logo, is a different texture layer than the body of the ship. The logos are much sharper in detail than the ship hull they are on.
This would indicate that there may be a separate texture map for those specific locations. A UV map could allow all of the logos on a ship to be just one small texture, which would be a small file size.

Yes, V3ed ships are using the new logo system.
Joelleaveek
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-09-10 22:11:02 UTC
I really dislike this. It seems like an easy mode work around to actual ship skinning. So if these are going to be "faction" variants on the info sheet, what about ships that have faction variants already? Since (for example) a "Serpentis Megatharon" already exists in the form of a Vindicator.

I think it would be much much better if you just buy a "paint scheme" or something and then apply it to a ship like you would a rig. I really really want complete customization but i know that will never happen (flesh colored Iterons anyone?).
Senarrius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#37 - 2012-09-10 22:22:03 UTC
I really like the idea.

Maybe only allowing the skin to affect all your given ships, bar faction ones.

They could also make it part of the ingame market, and limit it in a similar way to Attribute remaps, as to not allow people to go too wild too much. In the same way they handled character customization.

I can just imagine how imposing I can make my Abaddon look Cool
Soi Mala
Whacky Waving Inflatable Flailing Arm Tubemen
#38 - 2012-09-10 22:44:34 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#39 - 2012-09-10 23:39:12 UTC
Joelleaveek wrote:
I really dislike this. It seems like an easy mode work around to actual ship skinning. So if these are going to be "faction" variants on the info sheet, what about ships that have faction variants already? Since (for example) a "Serpentis Megatharon" already exists in the form of a Vindicator.

I think it would be much much better if you just buy a "paint scheme" or something and then apply it to a ship like you would a rig. I really really want complete customization but i know that will never happen (flesh colored Iterons anyone?).

Yes, that's another problem with this lazy approach. They could get around this by actually giving pirate ships a custom model such as the Mach or Nightmare.
Grey Azorria
Federation Industries
#40 - 2012-09-10 23:49:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Grey Azorria
Joelleaveek wrote:

All the factions so far are currently not used in game for any player ships (barring a few special edition iteron IVs), or AFAIK any NPC ships.

Thus the lack of CreoDron, Roden, Duvolle Labs, Navy and Serpentis.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sometimes when I post, I look at my sig and wish that I'd follow my own god damned advice.

Previous page123Next page