These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship role rework - ship descriptions?

Author
Tamonash en Welle
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-09-08 10:26:44 UTC
Hi.

I understand you plan to rework ship roles and specifications?

How about taking a look at the ship descriptions too as they are, in many cases, hugely misleading or does not state at all what the ship excels at. For a new player these descriptions are hugely misleading, not only in deciding what ship to pick, but also because some ships are stated to have roles that you afterwards realize does not exist game mechanic wise.

Thank you.
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-09-08 15:25:31 UTC
Bump of truth.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Jace Errata
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-09-08 16:52:45 UTC
Yeah, this could use some work. Example from a thread in the Test Server Feedback forum, regarding the Lachesis' description:

Jace Errata wrote:
I just want to note that the description says Roden ships usually have weaker EWAR systems compared to their competitors...yet this is apparently one of the best EWAR ships the Gallente have to offer. Seems a bit contradictory is all I'm saying.

tweeten

One day they woke me up so I could live forever

It's such a shame the same will never happen to you

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#4 - 2012-09-08 17:06:38 UTC
Agreed. Flavor text needs a lookin at.
tankus2
HeartVenom Inc.
#5 - 2012-09-08 18:15:55 UTC
here's hoping that when all of the ships get re-worked they'll also keep fixing the flavor text with them

Where the science gets done

kerradeph
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-09-08 18:39:55 UTC  |  Edited by: kerradeph
Tamonash en Welle wrote:
Hi.

I understand you plan to rework ship roles and specifications?

How about taking a look at the ship descriptions too as they are, in many cases, hugely misleading or does not state at all what the ship excels at. For a new player these descriptions are hugely misleading, not only in deciding what ship to pick, but also because some ships are stated to have roles that you afterwards realize does not exist game mechanic wise.

Thank you.

I'm guessing you just got into marauders? :P
EDIT: but seriously, the flavortext needs to be changed on those, or they need to be buffed to be more fitting to the description.
Tamonash en Welle
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-09-08 20:07:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Tamonash en Welle
For one, I was looking at the Vexor:
Vexor description wrote:
The Vexor is a strong combat ship that is also geared to operate in a variety of other roles. The Vexor is especially useful for surveying in potentially hostile sectors as it can stay on duty for a very long time before having to return to base. Furthermore, it is well capable of defending itself against even concentrated attacks.

What kind of role is "surveying in potentially hostile sectors" and what does that have to do with a bonus to drones. Heck, there is nothing in the description at all about what the Vexor is actually good at.

Another example is the Atron:
Atron description wrote:
The Atron is a hard nugget with an advanced power conduit system, but little space for cargo. Although it is a good harvester when it comes to mining, its main ability is as a combat vessel.

A good harvester? It has puny cargo capacity and no skill bonus at all to mining. Instead it got this:
Atron description wrote:
Role bonus: 80% reduction in Propulsion Jamming systems activation cost.
Uh, seems like its primary role is intercepting ships or something. This is not mentioned in the ship description at all.

Seriously, I have to read the skill level and role bonus alone and ignore the descriptions or I would not know at all what the primary function of certain ships are. If the descriptions were in order it should not be necessary to read the bonus to know what function the ship is good at.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#8 - 2012-09-08 21:08:53 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
A lot of those descriptions are legacy stuff from the "olden days" that carry very little weight on what the ship can and cannot do. The term "flavor text" that tankus2 used is a good way to see it.

And some things like that "role bonus" on the Atron were tacked on only just recently.

My personal favorite is the description for the Moros. A few expansions back, the Moros had a dedicated bonus for drones. Its description even mentioned the drones as a primary means of point defense. When drones were removed for all dreds they had to modify the Moros description. It... just... doesn't sound quite right anymore.Lol

edit: also... I completely agree about the Roden thing. Their description commonly says they have "weaker electronics systems" and "favor missiles"... yet they have two very powerful Ewar type ships (the Phobos and Lachesis) and only the Lachesis and Enyo can equip missiles... which quite a few people don't because both ships are still better using turrets.
Joelleaveek
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-09-08 21:57:02 UTC
Hopefully there is a plan in redo all descriptions into a standardized format. For example, the "tier 3" battlecruisers have a standardized format, they also applied this format to the rebalanced barges.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2012-09-08 22:21:19 UTC
A lot of the descriptions are really lol

Like the Phantasm one... Its just plain wrong.. If you go by that you would think the Phantasm was the most beastly cruiser on the market.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Jace Errata
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-09-08 22:54:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jace Errata
Tamonash, you mentioned the Atron not having a mining boost (not screwing around with quotes right now). That does need to be changed, but it is somewhat forgivable: the Atron used to be the Gallente mining frigate until very recently (the same patch that changed the mining barges IIRC). I wouldn't be surprised if the Bantam, [equivalent Minmatar frigate], and [equivalent Amarr frigate] also reference their old roles.

Edit: apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about. Oops Oops

tweeten

One day they woke me up so I could live forever

It's such a shame the same will never happen to you

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#12 - 2012-09-09 00:13:52 UTC
Jace Errata wrote:
the Atron used to be the Gallente mining frigate until very recently

Actually... that's the Navitas. But back in the days of old, the Atron WAS used to mine.
Kuehnelt
Devoid Privateering
#13 - 2012-09-09 01:15:05 UTC
I'd like to point out that the Executioner's flavor text, which had always been false, is now true.
Tamonash en Welle
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-09-10 10:49:12 UTC
I see, apparently it is a widespread phenomena. Must be a general oversight not to look a ship descriptions when messing with their stats and abilities.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-09-10 11:10:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
I have to say that I have also been noticing that the ship descriptions need an update too. When I saw the mining barges and tier 3 BC's with their new ship descriptions I thought the rest were going to get an update, and they probably are.

I think it would be very valuable and wouldn't take too long. I remember, just like many others, the ship descriptions were a massive part of ship choice when we were n00bs. They gave us an idea of what the ship was capapble of even though most of them a very misleading. Back then we didn't understand ship bonuses and fittings that well and we took ship descriptions as gospel. So just for the sake of the NPE, update the ship descriptions please
Uris Vitgar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-09-10 12:29:58 UTC
The daredevil description is my favourite. "it eschews offensive capabilities in favor of greater defensive potential and stronger armor plating. A tough nut to crack"- this of the biggest frigate-sized DPS in the entire game
Jafit
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-09-10 13:16:45 UTC
"Designed as much to look like a killing machine as to be one, the Ferox will strike fear into the heart of anyone unlucky enough to get caught in its crosshairs. With the potential for sizable armament as well as tremendous electronic warfare capability, this versatile gunboat is at home in a great number of scenarios." Ferox Lol

"The Thorax-class cruiser is the latest combat ship commissioned by the Federation. While the Thorax is a very effective ship at any range, typical of modern Gallente design philosophy it is most effective when working at extreme close range where its blasters and hordes of combat drones tear through even the toughest of enemies." - Drone Capacity 50 m3
Probably written when the Thorax could launch 8 heavy drones.

"The Moa was designed as an all-out combat ship, and its heavy armament allows the Moa to tackle almost anything that floats in space. In contrast to its nemesis the Thorax, the Moa is most effective at long range where its railguns and missile batteries can rain death upon foes." - Anything that floats in space. And also 'tackle', from long range. Roll
Kitt JT
True North.
#18 - 2012-09-10 15:57:42 UTC
CCP is going to have to go through just about eveything and fix it after they're done. They're probably waiting until they've balanced everything to do it though.

That in mind, it would be a huge task to do it all. But if they just did it as they fixed the ships... it would take what, an hour max for each ship?