These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

T2 mods no better than their meta 4 counterpart.

Author
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-09-08 21:08:13 UTC
Why are some of the mods like this?
I understand the difference in weapons (you put the party ammo in and watch the target explode in joy), but some like shield power relays have no difference in their meta 4 t2 parts.

Why?

Also post any other mods that have no difference between their meta and t2 variant.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#2 - 2012-09-08 21:33:44 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:
I understand the difference in weapons (you put the party ammo in and watch the target explode in joy), but some like shield power relays have no difference in their meta 4 t2 parts.

Why?

Also post any other mods that have no difference between their meta and t2 variant.

You can manufacture T2, you cant manufacture meta4. T2 will be as good as a meta4 in pretty much every situation but almost always use more fitting (few expections). However they are dependably priced and always available... named items are not.
Bommel McMurdoc
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-09-08 21:48:09 UTC
yeah, I've always interpreted Tech 2 as being better than it's tech 1 counterparts of all types. However, i can understand the stuff like Gist x-type, phit B-type, and so on, pirates also have evil tinkerer's heh. But I never really understood why meta 4's are equal to tech 2's except by fittings requirements.

Meta 4's are nice in a pinch when you have fitting issues, tech 2 is also nice as you can manufacture it if you ever lose the module.

would be very interesting if we could be able to tinker with tech 1's and make them into one of those meta 2-4 types. Heck it would be even more interesting if you could tinker with tech 2 items to benefit your fits, with repercussions of course. who knows, a future expansion near you that gives you a skill to tinker, jerry-rig, duct tape? level 1 tinkering ... 10% decrease in module becoming useless after tinkering with said module?
Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-09-08 22:55:12 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:

Why?

Using a fantasy game analogy, T2 is the crafted magical sword: you can make it whenever you want, you can farm materials for it, and it's always there for you.

Meta 4 is the magical sword that you MIGHT happen to find after slaying the evil dragon. It's much harder to come by than the crafted item.

In EvE, the crafted item (T2) is equal to the chance-based find (Meta 4), or in some cases it's clearly superior (turrets, for instance, because of the specific skill bonuses and T2 ammo), so the easiest item to come by usually performs better and is cheaper than the special find.

It's the opposite in most MMORPGs and I'm quite cool with that.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#5 - 2012-09-08 23:06:31 UTC
Marcus Gideon
Triglavian Assembly
#6 - 2012-09-08 23:34:11 UTC
Meta gear doesn't require extra training to use, so most rookies can fit them with no problem.

Until they changed the drop rates, meta gear was more rare, and thus more expensive. The lack of training also contributed to higher prices.

T2 mods are more readily available, and thus usually cheaper, provided you have the skill to use them.

Also, for some modules, the skills have a greater impact on T2 mods. So the base stats may be similar, but the extra training you dedicated could pay off in the end.
Last Wolf
Umbra Wing
#7 - 2012-09-09 03:37:01 UTC
I remember paying 15 mill a pop for arblest launchers.... now they are sometimes cheaper
than tech 1!

That awkward moment at the Gentlemen's Club when you see your sister on the stage....and you're not sure where to put the money....

Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#8 - 2012-09-09 09:31:41 UTC
Last Wolf wrote:
I remember paying 15 mill a pop for arblest launchers.... now they are sometimes cheaper
than tech 1!

I remember paying 25mil for a t2 invuln.
Nihil Nobilitae
The Scarlet Storm
#9 - 2012-09-09 09:35:57 UTC
Meta 4 is usually several times more expensive then their T2 counterparts if they are equal so it's pretty well balanced out. There's a near infinite supply of T2 while Meta 4 is limited edition. You use it if you can't use T2, either because of bad fitting skills or because you lack the recuired skills for the T2 module. They help newbies catch up to the rest.
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#10 - 2012-09-09 09:37:55 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:

Why?

Its normal for EVE. Meta4 ECM or target painter is better than T2 but keep in mind meta 4 is loot, while T2 is player produced.
Matarella
Incognito Mode
Brotherhood of Spacers
#11 - 2012-09-09 10:26:45 UTC
Nihil Nobilitae wrote:
Meta 4 is usually several times more expensive then their T2 counterparts if they are equal so it's pretty well balanced out. There's a near infinite supply of T2 while Meta 4 is limited edition. You use it if you can't use T2, either because of bad fitting skills or because you lack the recuired skills for the T2 module. They help newbies catch up to the rest.

does not always have to be bad fitting skills. I got a few fits that need meta 4 modules to fit else I got to little PG or CPU. and all my fitting skills are maxed out...

Meta 4 gives low skilled players to use items just as good as tech 2
Meta 4 gives for more complex fittings
Meta 4 is generally more expensive becouse of the 2 things above.
Mutant Caldari
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-09-09 14:40:24 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
Last Wolf wrote:
than tech 1!

I remember paying 25mil for a t2 invuln.

And 5 mil for each Hammerhead II. Lol
Aluka 7th
#13 - 2012-09-09 18:05:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Aluka 7th
Some items are better in T2 versions like guns, because they get specialization skill to boost damage and also allwo use of T2 ammo which increases dps. Same is true for drones, damage mods, tr.comp, enhancer, smart bombs - all better in T2 version.

Then some items are better depending on your tactics like mwd.
T2 has lower cap. penalty but uses more cap to run, so for perma run high meta is better but for sporadic burst T2 is better.

And then for items like EWAR (ecm,eccm,tr.destr. nos/neut, painter..) there is no benefit of T2 except better availability and thus lower price.
Nazowa
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-09-10 08:32:06 UTC
Not directly on topic but I wish CCP takes a look at Meta drop rates. Majority of Meta4's I get directly go to refine now.