These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

50 + fittings

First post
Author
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#21 - 2011-10-12 01:49:43 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Strangly enough only really smal percentage of players who actually use "save" fitting window use more then 50 setups.. its like less then two percent..

So i suggest you delete or your eft warrioring setups and you are down to 5 viable fits for your daily use.


definately not an eft warrior but i save my fits of the ships i fly + fits of ships i am looking to or actually am training into so i can compare as well as get instant reminders to what prereq skill to train to 5 next. That said as a 3-4 month old character im already pushing 42 fittings. I dont really want to have to say, delete my mission cruiser fits or my salvager destroyer fits just so i can get my loki fit + a guide or 2 once i am ready for that training
Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#22 - 2011-10-12 01:52:34 UTC
**** server side bullshit, give me unlimited local you bastards.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

cyclobs
Loud Curse Enterprises
#23 - 2011-10-12 01:59:41 UTC
+1

Bring back locally stored fittings
zzzczyzoznzoz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#24 - 2011-10-12 22:28:29 UTC
bumping bk to top so a dev can answer will we ever get 50 + fittings bk
Xuse Senna
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#25 - 2011-10-12 22:41:08 UTC
Yeah.... I need more.... Only been playing 2 or 3 months and I have no space xD

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7501/mindgamesceptionfinaldr.jpg

non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#26 - 2011-10-13 00:22:16 UTC
Oh darn...
When I first saw this topic, I thought it was fittings for people who are 50 and over.
Zleon Leigh
#27 - 2011-10-13 03:07:42 UTC
+1 to OP

limit of 50 hampers me greatly - as a new player friends gave me fits as guidance for future play. I can't even begin to keep all the examples/counter-examples that they gave me., but i think 100 would be about right

Incarna - Newest business example of mismanaged capital. CCP - Continuing to gank independent PI producers every day

PvP's latest  incentive program ** Unified Inventory **  'Cause you gotta kill something after trying to use it

Cynter DeVries
Spheroidal Projections
#28 - 2011-10-13 04:14:37 UTC
Zleon Leigh wrote:
+1 to OP

limit of 50 hampers me greatly - as a new player friends gave me fits as guidance for future play. I can't even begin to keep all the examples/counter-examples that they gave me., but i think 100 would be about right

No, not that...

Kytayn wrote:
It doesn't really matter if you keep the limit at 50 on the server (personally I had more than 150 fittings of all sorts). When CCP announced the feature for server-side fittings, they mentioned that your remaining fittings would be stored off to an export file and so still accessible. And so they were.

The trouble is, to use any of those fittings, you have to pick one of your current fittings to delete, then pull up the XML and uncheck the ninety nine items you don't want to import.

It shouldn't work that way. In the UI, let me have three sets: Corp, Personal, and Local. Local would be an unlimited store, but I could browse it the same way I can browse Personal or Corporate fittings. No deleting, no file management, no import. They'd just be loaded from my local directory.

When I read that CCP were imposing this restriction, I thought this was what they'd do. I was disappointed.

This.

Cynter's Law of feature suggestion: Thou shalt not suggest NPCs do something players could do instead.

Kytayn
Kronos TEchnologies
#29 - 2011-10-13 16:46:12 UTC
Cynter DeVries wrote:
Zleon Leigh wrote:
+1 to OP

limit of 50 hampers me greatly - as a new player friends gave me fits as guidance for future play. I can't even begin to keep all the examples/counter-examples that they gave me., but i think 100 would be about right

No, not that...

Kytayn wrote:
It doesn't really matter if you keep the limit at 50 on the server (personally I had more than 150 fittings of all sorts). When CCP announced the feature for server-side fittings, they mentioned that your remaining fittings would be stored off to an export file and so still accessible. And so they were.

The trouble is, to use any of those fittings, you have to pick one of your current fittings to delete, then pull up the XML and uncheck the ninety nine items you don't want to import.

It shouldn't work that way. In the UI, let me have three sets: Corp, Personal, and Local. Local would be an unlimited store, but I could browse it the same way I can browse Personal or Corporate fittings. No deleting, no file management, no import. They'd just be loaded from my local directory.

When I read that CCP were imposing this restriction, I thought this was what they'd do. I was disappointed.

This.


It occurs to me, although the devs never communicated this, that a reason for the change in the first place was to eliminate the upload-push-download that occurs when someone shares a fitting by link in the chat window. Now it's just a link to an item in the DB.

If CCP were to make the UI work as I described earlier, the simple fix would be to make "Local" fittings unavailable for drag-and-drop linking in chat or mail.

Be careful in Pulsar systems, you might get Pod Flu.

(Bio for YouTube reading)

Zleon Leigh
#30 - 2011-10-13 21:57:22 UTC
^^ This - much better.

@Cynter & Kytayn- thanks for the additional illumination

Incarna - Newest business example of mismanaged capital. CCP - Continuing to gank independent PI producers every day

PvP's latest  incentive program ** Unified Inventory **  'Cause you gotta kill something after trying to use it

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2011-10-13 23:31:57 UTC
I support CCP selling extra fitting slots for AUR.

(And yes, I'm being serious.)
BLACK-STAR
#32 - 2011-10-14 00:09:26 UTC
No.... will not bend over for additional slots for AUR. that's ridiculous.

Unlimited because we can store unlimited browser bookmarks locally to our hdd. A Few hundred server-side fittings would be nice, because this isn't a _space_ issue, their tiny files stored like our notes, like origin bookmarks.

would be very lame if ccp forced us to pay AUR for something so basic.
zzzczyzoznzoz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#33 - 2011-10-14 15:58:45 UTC
hey devs / team bff are we going to get 50+ fittings

no i dont want to have to buy extra with aur

we used to have unlimited fittings for free so bring it back

say no to aur for anything apart from space barbie
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#34 - 2011-10-14 16:14:18 UTC
Yo peeps - the devs have already answered this. Nobody uses their max fittings - its an extremely low percentage of players. There is a noisy few on the forums that blow this issue out of proportion, like most forum complaints, but CCP has already stated there isn't a pressing reason to "fix" this since effectively most players dont even use the fittings they have.

A lot of experienced PvP-ers refit their ships manually from memory, since they're making adjustments based on immediate fleet needs or an adapting enemy anyways. Using cookie-cutter ship fittings is mostly only helpful if you're fitting a stack of ships and need to save time.

Unless you can convince another 200,000 players to start pushing their saved fittings to the max, this isn't going to have time spent on it any time soon.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Barakkus
#35 - 2011-10-14 16:54:15 UTC
Yes plz, thnx.

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

CCP Tuxford
C C P
C C P Alliance
#36 - 2011-10-14 22:22:14 UTC
It makes me sort of glad that some of you at least are using this feature up to that point that 50 fittings are not enough Smile

The limit that was picked was fairly arbitrary but not the reason for having a limit was not. The fittings are stored on the DB and need to be fetched from there and moved to the client. For exactly how many we can have we have to consider two things. How big is the table actually going to get and network traffic. In addition to that we are doing some fairly poor job at loading them up (tallying up required skills for all fitted types and seeing if you meet the requirements). That however if fairly easily fixed.

The network traffic is the one that concerns me most especially as we have to consider that you can have a long description on these. So I'll ask you this simple question is there anyone that actually uses the description?

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/CCP%20Tuxford/StatusUpdates

zzzczyzoznzoz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#37 - 2011-10-14 22:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: zzzczyzoznzoz
wow a dev replyed i really didnt expect that

nice 1 ccp tuxford Big smile

CCP Tuxford wrote:
It makes me sort of glad that some of you at least are using this feature up to that point that 50 fittings are not enough Smile

The limit that was picked was fairly arbitrary but not the reason for having a limit was not. The fittings are stored on the DB and need to be fetched from there and moved to the client. For exactly how many we can have we have to consider two things. How big is the table actually going to get and network traffic. In addition to that we are doing some fairly poor job at loading them up (tallying up required skills for all fitted types and seeing if you meet the requirements). That however if fairly easily fixed.

The network traffic is the one that concerns me most especially as we have to consider that you can have a long description on these. So I'll ask you this simple question is there anyone that actually uses the description?



yes to a extent eg

ratting
2x neut
frig killer
that kind of thing

so how about this for a compromise


Kytayn wrote:
It doesn't really matter if you keep the limit at 50 on the server (personally I had more than 150 fittings of all sorts). When CCP announced the feature for server-side fittings, they mentioned that your remaining fittings would be stored off to an export file and so still accessible. And so they were.

The trouble is, to use any of those fittings, you have to pick one of your current fittings to delete, then pull up the XML and uncheck the ninety nine items you don't want to import.

It shouldn't work that way. In the UI, let me have three sets: Corp, Personal, and Local. Local would be an unlimited store, but I could browse it the same way I can browse Personal or Corporate fittings. No deleting, no file management, no import. They'd just be loaded from my local directory.

When I read that CCP were imposing this restriction, I thought this was what they'd do. I was disappointed.
CCP Tuxford
C C P
C C P Alliance
#38 - 2011-10-14 22:45:37 UTC
zzzczyzoznzoz wrote:


It shouldn't work that way. In the UI, let me have three sets: Corp, Personal, and Local. Local would be an unlimited store, but I could browse it the same way I can browse Personal or Corporate fittings. No deleting, no file management, no import. They'd just be loaded from my local directory.


It's funny that the first implementation of the feature had exactly these three things. In the end we deemed it just overly complicated to have personal fittings stored on your HDD and personal fittings stored on the server DB so we decided that corp fittings would be stored on the server and personal fittings on the HDD.

I personally don't mind having these three things especially if the complexity can be hidden. For example save the first 50 to the DB but after that explain to the user that the rest will be saved locally.

At this point the easiest solution is probably to simply raise the amount of fittings you can save Smile


https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/CCP%20Tuxford/StatusUpdates

T'KNaath
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#39 - 2011-10-14 22:50:25 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Yo peeps - the devs have already answered this. Nobody uses their max fittings - its an extremely low percentage of players. There is a noisy few on the forums that blow this issue out of proportion, like most forum complaints, but CCP has already stated there isn't a pressing reason to "fix" this since effectively most players dont even use the fittings they have.

A lot of experienced PvP-ers refit their ships manually from memory, since they're making adjustments based on immediate fleet needs or an adapting enemy anyways. Using cookie-cutter ship fittings is mostly only helpful if you're fitting a stack of ships and need to save time.

Unless you can convince another 200,000 players to start pushing their saved fittings to the max, this isn't going to have time spent on it any time soon.


I use my 50. And my alts 50... as I have a lot of setups I like to use from time to time in different situations. The more common ones I use tho are in my head and I adapt them as I need, but still 50 Is defiantly not enough. I doubt it can be that small of a percentage. As most people I know also have the same issue.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#40 - 2011-10-14 23:04:14 UTC
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=185427#post185427
Quote:
50 fittings:

- keep the limit if you like but add an "external fittings" folder
- third party tools may dump fittings there, those are not stored on the server
- client notices updates automatically, no new ui required

problem solved :)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value