These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Maintenance and malfunctions

Author
GTN
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel
#1 - 2012-09-06 17:58:40 UTC
Ships are getting older and older, and more and more maintenance is required to keep them running (especially minmatar ones).
Materials are deteriorating and expensive parts of the ships are breaking down under mechanical stress and fatigue.
So my idea is to introduce a damaging effect on ships and modules depending on use and aging.
If a ship isn't repaired in time, it may malfunction, eg. the warp drive may warp slower, the capacitor may regenerate slower, some module slots may not work, and so on.
Repairs would cost minerals, or repair kits eg. Amarr Electrical Replacement Parts.
Capitals are already made of capital parts, so it's not needed to introduce new items.
Supers can't dock, so make the capital assembly array (or capital maintenance array) able to "remanufacture" them requiring a blueprint (copies would be destroyed in the process, so a large business/isk sink opens here).
Maybe introduce a new insurance (available only when assembling a ship) that makes repairs free for some time in npc controlled stations.
It would make living in a wormhole harder for sub-cap ships, maybe make t3s maintenance-free.
Repackaging a ship keeps it from aging, but rigs are lost :-D
leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-09-06 18:41:23 UTC
any time a ship is docked for any amount of time or is near/in a maintenance bay, "they" are doing repairs/replacements on your ship. the crew you have are dedicated to keeping everything running and making sure anything that isn't running is replaced or repaired ASAP.
GTN
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel
#3 - 2012-09-06 19:23:28 UTC
leviticus ander wrote:
any time a ship is docked for any amount of time or is near/in a maintenance bay, "they" are doing repairs/replacements on your ship. the crew you have are dedicated to keeping everything running and making sure anything that isn't running is replaced or repaired ASAP.

I already knew that.
But I'm talking about more important repairs, those that your crew can't fix on their own.
Eg. if your armor/structure gets damaged, your crew can't fix it.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#4 - 2012-09-06 22:42:05 UTC
Gameplay > realism.

What you're suggesting might make for more realism, but it doesn't improve gameplay. It's not fun to have your ship suddenly become less effective in combat because you ticked over enough seconds since you remembered to hit the "fix my ship" button. It's not fun to have that happen to you and it's not even fun to have that happen to an opponent, which could rob you of a really good fight. It adds nothing of value, just a lot of headaches.
Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-09-07 02:36:46 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Gameplay > realism.

What you're suggesting might make for more realism, but it doesn't improve gameplay. It's not fun to have your ship suddenly become less effective in combat because you ticked over enough seconds since you remembered to hit the "fix my ship" button. It's not fun to have that happen to you and it's not even fun to have that happen to an opponent, which could rob you of a really good fight. It adds nothing of value, just a lot of headaches.

Its also not fun to have to push the "institute Draconian leadership policies on crew to enforce better work ethics" or the "beatings will continue until moral improves" button to make them work harder.

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#6 - 2012-09-07 02:53:33 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Gameplay > realism.

This, mostly. Another example is the fact that real space objects orbit something...stars, planets, moons, roids, the whole nine. Eve doesn't have the same celestial orbit mechanics (things tumble and rotate on their own axis', but don't orbit relative to each other), but adding that sort of mechanic would be a technical nightmare I'm sure. Also, wormholes don't behave in Eve like we're sure they do in reality.

I could go on...but, that's just no fun. Big smile

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-09-07 03:30:04 UTC
I sense hidden pi/rock/items from missions farmer wants to push more of his goods thread.

Just assume auto repair on redocks and drink that cool aid.

Other MMO's do this repair gear crap because its one of the few money sinks they have. It adds no realism, jsut alot of annoyance. And basically a money sink since theortically in many of the other games out there you never need to buy a damn thing gear wise. Lots of other games, items drops work just fine for me. So my only money loss back to the game was repairs and status fixes from in town healers after lots of beat downs/deaths.

Eve doesn't need this, it has its own money sinks. Like ship and mod replacement on kills, ammo costs (many games ranged dps is free). fact t2 mods don't drop from rats, etc...
GTN
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel
#8 - 2012-09-08 09:31:32 UTC  |  Edited by: GTN
Zan Shiro wrote:
Eve doesn't need this, it has its own money sinks. Like ship and mod replacement on kills, ammo costs (many games ranged dps is free). fact t2 mods don't drop from rats, etc...

LOL!!!
Destroying a ship is far from an isk sink!! It actually creates money through insurance.
Ammo is a material sink (except t1 crystals), and the money to buy the ammo isn't destroyed, it's given to another player who sells it to you.
Exception is faction stuff bought from LP stores, but not many people fly faction ships anyway... and because of insurance, it's a very small isk sink.

Sobaan Tali wrote:

This, mostly. Another example is the fact that real space objects orbit something...stars, planets, moons, roids, the whole nine. Eve doesn't have the same celestial orbit mechanics (things tumble and rotate on their own axis', but don't orbit relative to each other), but adding that sort of mechanic would be a technical nightmare I'm sure. Also, wormholes don't behave in Eve like we're sure they do in reality.

Go into planetary view and you will see the customs office orbiting the planet.
Have you actually been in a wormhole to tell us they don't work like in eve?

mxzf wrote:
It's not fun to have that happen to you and it's not even fun to have that happen to an opponent, which could rob you of a really good fight. It adds nothing of value, just a lot of headaches.

Fair fights don't exist and never will. Gameplay... lol... Do you remember what PI looked like at the beginning? click click click click click
GTN
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel
#9 - 2012-09-09 12:24:05 UTC
bump
Kitt JT
True North.
#10 - 2012-09-09 17:11:51 UTC
This is dumb. Please don't bump again.
GTN
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel