These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Name Changing

First post
Author
Paulize Dn'Injer
#81 - 2011-09-24 06:01:16 UTC
Sapphire Fangborn wrote:
I don't mind name changes, though I agree that there would be pros and cons in the absence of name history depending on how much control players wish they could have.

I think that having name changes should be possible, and that name change history should be optional during the name change process. After all, not everyone is running away from other people/harassment/their pasts.

Currently, I imagine that criminally inclined players can have many untainted accounts, plus have the option to purchase untainted yet well-trained characters, thereby having ways to do their worst under fresh personas. If this is what goes on, playing under an untraceable, new identity is already a part of Eve.

The idea of putting name changes on a very long timer is okay.

With the way Eve works, I don't think there is a way to stop players who want to be underhanded. This is the universe of celebrity justice with no jails. As a fairly new player, I try to figure things out and have fun, and don't truly trust anyone since they all might turn into sharks. It's quite an unusual experience.The fact that criminal type players would probably take to name changes like ducks to water can either be seen as increasing the amount of challenge in the game, or as a nightmare depending on one's opinion.

In Eve Online, safety is a myth. Blink In other MMOs I could feel secure, but not in this one. Eve Online is meant to be hazardous, so I don't support making it too warm and fuzzy. I came because of Incarna adverts, and because it's dangerous here.

Figuring out past character history would make more sense in my opinion, if it was because of applying a new "private investigation" skillset, and if it was pricey to do. That would make more sense, rather than making character history an easybutton.

Cheers,

Sapph Cool

Thank you for your rational and well-thought post amidst all the chaos
Xenial Jesse Taalo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2011-09-24 15:47:40 UTC
There's a nice idea; not only make it possible, but incorporate it into gameplay. Private investigation is one suggestion but people could think up others as well. So that your new name is your new name, you do indeed get the relief of being a new "person". However people can still look up your history with the appropriate services/skills/ISK.

You could also consider a feature that allows the name-changee to decide how difficult it would be for others to unveil his/her history, with a fixed limit so that it isn't possible to make it impossible - only a stronger deterrant. You can really play with this; even involving Concord agents or some such thing.

This extends to the idea of making it impossible for other players to reach that history at all without the changee's permission. This simply means that when a player with a changed name is entering some high-value situation, the other parties can simply give him the choice: reveal your past identities or leave. More shenanigans can then ensue.

Or combine both of those ideas.

I like it.

This requires that all characters do at least have something accessible by all, that reveals simply *if* their name was ever changed.

I do believe history should never be truly impossible to view.
And I believe people who petition for a change for reasons of semantics should be free of all this and simply get a straightforward change, as things are currently.

I support this old idea even more now because it is something very important to many people, and can be incorporated into the game in quite a good, role-playing way. It would be a win win.
Paulize Dn'Injer
#83 - 2011-09-25 03:45:32 UTC
Ehehe, I forgot to add the "Private Investigation" concept to the "Debated Features" Section, but it's updated now!

So... how about a rant: Only two CSM members have posted in this threadnaught. Both were post-and-runs and showed no attempt at understanding the topic either. Clearly, vote Paulize Dn'Injer for CSM! (Well, maybe not seriously)
evilphoenix
Horde Vanguard.
Pandemic Horde
#84 - 2011-09-26 13:26:53 UTC
Paulize Dn'Injer wrote:
Ehehe, I forgot to add the "Private Investigation" concept to the "Debated Features" Section, but it's updated now!

So... how about a rant: Only two CSM members have posted in this threadnaught. Both were post-and-runs and showed no attempt at understanding the topic either. Clearly, vote Paulize Dn'Injer for CSM! (Well, maybe not seriously)

I would like to at least see some constructive feedback from them not 'No I can't make fun of people if they can change thier name.' or 'Already tried, don't want to try again because I'm lazy and in it for the free trip' I know there will be those for and against, I would, however, like to see an attempt being made.
Andrea Griffin
#85 - 2011-09-27 18:24:03 UTC
A name change should come as part of transferring the ownership of a character.
Paulize Dn'Injer
#86 - 2011-10-04 01:42:23 UTC
Bump
Jagga Spikes
Spikes Chop Shop
#87 - 2011-10-04 09:46:25 UTC
Andrea Griffin wrote:

what your are saying is, if i want to change name of my character i would have to transfer said character to another account i own? well, i could live with that.

but, why not cut on complexity and simply make name changing a separate service?
Dielax
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2011-10-05 01:06:15 UTC
I hate my name. I therefore would love the option to change it.

I also agree on one time change and something stating it was changed in the players bio or whatever.

Not trying to hide anything, I'm a nobody. However it bothers me only having one name.

I want a last name! Or want to be able to change this crappy name for one of my other chars on this account.

$10 - $20 - $30 I don't care I will pay it.

I tried bringing myself to starting a new toon, but that lasted all of 1 day realizing how long it would be useless for.
Paulize Dn'Injer
#89 - 2011-10-06 03:40:35 UTC
Andrea Griffin wrote:
Hmm, or (as opposed to Jagga's interpretation -- which is sound) are you implying that in conjunction with the establishment of a name changing system Character Transfers would be entitled to a free name change? If not, it would just be a circuitous means to Name Changing -- but without all the safety features -- as Jagga wrote:
Jagga Spikes wrote:
what your are saying is, if i want to change name of my character i would have to transfer said character to another account i own? well, i could live with that.

but, why not cut on complexity and simply make name changing a separate service?
...Yeah, I guess it does kinda work for me either way too
Paulize Dn'Injer
#90 - 2011-10-06 03:58:18 UTC
Dielax wrote:
I hate my name. I therefore would love the option to change it.

I also agree on one time change and something stating it was changed in the players bio or whatever.

Not trying to hide anything, I'm a nobody. However it bothers me only having one name.

I want a last name! Or want to be able to change this crappy name for one of my other chars on this account.

$10 - $20 - $30 I don't care I will pay it.

I tried bringing myself to starting a new toon, but that lasted all of 1 day realizing how long it would be useless for.

I feel that you've encapsulated the views of a great many people with your post: the frustration, the dismal alternatives -- the fiscal desperation!

Also, why stop at last name? I think someone posted that you can now have middle names too!

CCP Hellmar wrote:
...our virtual goods strategy for EVE Online will remain limited in scope and focus on vanity items... our plans for virtual goods are intended to make your playing experience better ...from a strategic perspective, we had to take these first steps because monthly subscriptions are increasingly becoming a thing of the past

T-h-a-t i-s r-i-g-h-t h-e-r-e.
Lynn Deniera
State War Academy
Caldari State
#91 - 2011-10-06 14:19:50 UTC
Yes. A million upvotes!

I'd love to be able to change names.
Paulize Dn'Injer
#92 - 2011-10-12 00:50:31 UTC
Lynn Deniera wrote:
Yes. A million upvotes!

I'd love to be able to change names.

Thanks! Don't forget to spread the word, get your corp involved, check in and post regularly!

There are many little things that anyone can do to help support our cause -- the key is remaining active
Wysong
Monoptix
#93 - 2011-10-14 20:30:54 UTC
Supported.

While I agree that a name change history would be nice - the fact of the matter is that people change over time, and names that might have sounded like a good idea no longer do after 2-3 years.

With a reasonable cost, it's a valuable service that will more than cover it's own expenses.
T' Elk
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#94 - 2011-10-15 02:55:10 UTC
Holy mother of god, a proposal thread I actually and completely agree with... Never thought I'd see the day.

~Badposter since FOOOOREEEEEVAAAAAR~ I come back after 2 years to THIS? ~Now 4 years apparently

Malcorath Sacerdos
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#95 - 2011-10-15 20:12:56 UTC
i support name change

op has good arguments
epic loser
Doomheim
#96 - 2011-10-16 11:34:22 UTC
Just display Character ID in info sheet which is unique and unchangeable, all the problems with name changing can be avoided. you don't need to keep those "name change history".

like character info as follows

Capitan Epic Loser

PLEX ID 42347861235

L Salander
All Web Investigations
#97 - 2011-10-17 12:54:40 UTC
I've wanted name changing for so long. Take all of my isk, put a big flag stating what my previous name was, anything, just let me get rid of the awful name my (other) character has
SC0T1SH WARRIOR
Zero For 0wned
#98 - 2011-10-18 01:58:39 UTC
As someone who signed up drunk and could't spell "Scottish" at the time. i wholeheartedly endorse this product/service/proposal

Dont mind me,  just touching your stuff.

Paulize Dn'Injer
#99 - 2011-10-18 03:34:42 UTC
Oh no, with this many positive comments I just don't know what to do! Quick, someone post something negative that I can argue and deconstruct into obsolescence!

But don’t let my praise placate you -- stay active!
Sentenced 1989
#100 - 2011-10-18 22:16:13 UTC
Why not allow name change once per lifetime? If you made a mistake at the begging and choose some stupid number to your name because you weren't sure will you even keep playing why not give ONE time name change only

As far as limitation goes, I would suggest

1. You standing, sec status.... remain the same as they were before
2. Your new name is " Y aka old name" for like 3 months and then it is just Y (where Y is new name)
3. Your name is changed on every list (watch list, contacts...) and notification is sent to those people
4. You can't change your name if you have kill rights
5. You can't change your name with negative sec. status
6. You can change your name only once
7. Payment would be PLEX, 3000 aurum, 5$, 10$... don't care...

And don't tell me about scamming, what could you possibly scam? Do you remember names of scammers/gankers and rest? Maybe you do for few of them, but there could always come somebody new, so that doesn't make difference, since you probably don't know every single of them on server

In RL you can change your name, but all your rep goes with it, if you need to go to jail, youll go to jail even after name change, so rep stays the same, maybe implement new tab with old name or write it down at employment history as name change from x to y.

And yeah, one time name change would be used mainly by player who simply wish to change their name and keep sp, if somebody really wants to scam you or something, hell make alt and do it anyway.

I don't see the argument against that, if you can change your corp, you could change your name as well

Oh yeah, and there should be rule against caps lock names :D