These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CSM Chairman Hotline - AMA (Ask Me Anything) non-NDA about EVE, the CSM & CCP

First post
Author
Evelgrivion
Origin.
Fraternity.
#101 - 2012-09-04 21:05:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Evelgrivion
One of the usability issues that recently cropped up was the merger of chat windows with the neocom making it harder to keep track of channels. I'd love to have a dedicated chat window bar added in to take care of that, but any UI changes that make it easier to keep lots of chat windows open would be a very welcome improvement. Can the CSM put some pressure on CCP to fix this, if it hasn't already?

http://i.imgur.com/K8Xk1.jpg
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#102 - 2012-09-04 21:06:21 UTC
Can you please explain the difference between a producer, game designer, a game developer, an artist, a sysadmin/support role, and a stakeholder? Ideally, you should include how each one is able to influence what makes it into the game.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#103 - 2012-09-04 21:07:56 UTC
How about a AMA with you in the NDA sealed Dust forums Twisted

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#104 - 2012-09-04 21:08:45 UTC
rodyas wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Malc's quick Spodfix™: Add a bunch of low-end minerals to it, sufficient to make it the 4th or 5th most valuable ore. This simultaneously makes it worth mining and increases the quantity of low-end minerals locally available to 0.0 industry.



By low end do you mean plagioclase and scordite? An ore chart has them as the third and fourth best ores. Yes lets put hi sec ores in low sec, so they make more money, and the pvp and getting ganked is worth it.


Those are ores, not minerals. I'd propose that adding a moderate amount of Trit, Pyer and Mex to Spodumain ore, sufficient to make it actually worth mining instead of being the worst ore.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#105 - 2012-09-04 21:09:16 UTC
Evelgrivion wrote:
One of the usability issues that recently cropped up was the merger of chat windows with the neocom making it harder to keep track of channels. I'd love to have a dedicated chat window bar added in to take care of that, but any UI changes that make it easier to keep lots of chat windows open would be a very welcome improvement. Can the CSM put some pressure on CCP to fix this, if it hasn't already?

http://i.imgur.com/K8Xk1.jpg


I'd love something like this. I'll paste this pic to one of the UI peeps in the morning.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#106 - 2012-09-04 21:10:36 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Malc's quick Spodfix™: Add a bunch of low-end minerals to it, sufficient to make it the 4th or 5th most valuable ore. This simultaneously makes it worth mining and increases the quantity of low-end minerals locally available to 0.0 industry.

It also screws up the interdependent nature of Eve.



When Veldspar and Scordite are the most valuable ores, I'd suggest that a little rebalancing away from the "low end" ores is due.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#107 - 2012-09-04 21:13:09 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
Can you please explain the difference between a producer, game designer, a game developer, an artist, a sysadmin/support role, and a stakeholder? Ideally, you should include how each one is able to influence what makes it into the game.

-Liang


Initially I was going to just wing this question and put down my impressions of each based on past experience, but I don't want to put out something that might be mistakenly taken as ~gospel~. So I'm going to poke a couple CCPers and see if I can get something a bit more 'official' and correct. I'll send the email tonight and post the answer as soon as I get a reply. Smile

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#108 - 2012-09-04 21:15:30 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Can you please explain the difference between a producer, game designer, a game developer, an artist, a sysadmin/support role, and a stakeholder? Ideally, you should include how each one is able to influence what makes it into the game.

-Liang


Initially I was going to just wing this question and put down my impressions of each based on past experience, but I don't want to put out something that might be mistakenly taken as ~gospel~. So I'm going to poke a couple CCPers and see if I can get something a bit more 'official' and correct. I'll send the email tonight and post the answer as soon as I get a reply. Smile


Thanks Seleene. :)

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Jace Errata
The Vendunari
End of Life
#109 - 2012-09-04 21:23:45 UTC
This may seem silly, but my question is...do you have any record of the answers (if they were answered) to my questions from the recent CSM Town Hall? I'm a bit time-limited, so I never did get round to listening to it.
For reference, here are the questions in..uh..question:
Jace Errata wrote:
Q1: Aggression mechanics
It's mentioned in the CSM Summit minutes that low-sec gate guns will engage players for any offence, including "suspect" flagged-offences (currently the equivalent of Yellow aggression timers). Since that includes things as minor as can-flipping, is this likely to be reconsidered, and if not would it also apply to high-sec guns?

Q2: New POSes
With the new modular POS system, will the option for a true POS, as opposed to a COS, be available? I'd like to be able to set up a small hangout to keep a few ships and emergency supplies.

Q3: [General not just Summit] Can anything be done towards getting V3 skins sharpened up? As it stands, they're painfully blurry when zoomed in (the most obvious example I can bring to mind is the Raven).

Q4: [General] What's the CSM's opinion on Asuka Solo's PI 2.0 suggestion?

Q5: [Requisite humour] How likely is my CSM8 campaign, "What's a CSM? (from the team that brought you Operation Dread Intrusion)" to succeed?

tweeten

One day they woke me up so I could live forever

It's such a shame the same will never happen to you

GeeShizzle MacCloud
#110 - 2012-09-04 21:35:54 UTC
Seleene, would love to know, as you've been part of CCP and the games industry as a whole for a good long while, how would one go about getting into the industry if you dont have many technical skills in the area?
(im not massively skilled in one area, but quite adequate in a variety of areas)

is it something that having a degree in an appropriate field is the best course of action or...
is working from an entry level internship better?
GeeShizzle MacCloud
#111 - 2012-09-04 22:03:35 UTC
Also, not many people talk about or ask about what the web dev teams are up to, i guess many of them are working on implementing CREST etc...

I was wondering how viable shifting corp management away from a purely in-game client to something that can be accessed in a web client would be?

it was something that was inspired by Dust514's devs revealing they are letting people use sonys Vita to sort out the more mundane things so that peoples console-time is maximised to fun stuff!
A lot of management level people in corps want to maximise their time enjoying eve, but always tend to have administrative stuff to deal with typically before doing so.
It would also pave the way for more integrated eve corp management tools. Large nullsec corps and alliances tend to have coded private tools that help with corp / alliance / coalition management, these sorts of things are another part of the 'barrier of entry' to null sec.
Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#112 - 2012-09-04 22:19:44 UTC
Seleene, can you tell us a bit about when we wil be able to know things ?
like when there will be a devblog about some winter features, or about new infos on the pos revamp, or how they are thinking about doing pos now ?
I know they don't want to give dates, as it's horrible for them, but a general idea of the timing would be nice :)

also, about incarna, is the goal is now the wormhole complex thing only, or does the old corp quarters / bars / minigames and so on are still on the table ?
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2012-09-05 00:49:39 UTC
how confident are you about CCP implementing more reasons to undock (and interact with other players) in the foreseeable future ?

what would you prefer, a nerf to the industrial potential of highsec or a boost to what can be done in lowsec ? (its clear that nullsec needs a boost)
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#114 - 2012-09-05 08:08:34 UTC
Seleene, can you give me your personal feeling on how Dust will work out from the perspective of EVE players? No NDA breaking stuff ofc, just your ~crystal ball~.

TIA

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#115 - 2012-09-05 19:06:55 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Case in point: There's 100-page threadnoughts about Incarna - and that's not coming in winter.


Yeah, that writing's been on the wall for a while. At this point, the thread's primary concern is whether anything Incarna related is coming at all.

Can I read you between the lines here as saying that something is coming, but not this winter?

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#116 - 2012-09-05 19:11:26 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Case in point: There's 100-page threadnoughts about Incarna - and that's not coming in winter.


Yeah, that writing's been on the wall for a while. At this point, the thread's primary concern is whether anything Incarna related is coming at all.

Can I read you between the lines here as saying that something is coming, but not this winter?



Nope, can't guarantee that, either. What?

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#117 - 2012-09-05 19:40:25 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Nope, can't guarantee that, either. What?


Ugh. The universe just got a lot less vast, and the game got a lot less immersive.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#118 - 2012-09-05 20:09:37 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Case in point: There's 100-page threadnoughts about Incarna - and that's not coming in winter.


Yeah, that writing's been on the wall for a while. At this point, the thread's primary concern is whether anything Incarna related is coming at all.

Can I read you between the lines here as saying that something is coming, but not this winter?



Nope, can't guarantee that, either. What?


Can you undertake to press CCP more strongly for a "State of play" report with respect to the Incarna project? Let us at least know where we stand.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#119 - 2012-09-05 21:20:26 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Can you undertake to press CCP more strongly for a "State of play" report with respect to the Incarna project? Let us at least know where we stand.


Well yes, the CSM has been doing this already - our last attempt at getting them to open up to the public resulted in this post. We asked them to put the dev blog out, especially since the developers working on Incarna had already shared details indicating the state of the project in that thread.

Like CCP Bayesian said, this is swallowed in "corporateness" and appears like it will remain there for some time. We will continue to push CCP to be transparent with the public about their work on Incarna, but I simply have no way to guarantee when that's going to happen. We know about as much as you do as to when the information will start flowing again. And yes, its frustrating. Ugh

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#120 - 2012-09-05 21:50:55 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Can you undertake to press CCP more strongly for a "State of play" report with respect to the Incarna project? Let us at least know where we stand.


Very busy RL day today so I'll be back to answering stuff soon, but I wanted to hit this quickly - this is something I've actually pushed for more clarity on recently and am hoping to get more info soon. When I get something back from CCP that I can talk about or I can get them to address it publicly, I'll update it here.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!