These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

What do you miss from the older clients?

First post
Author
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-09-03 15:55:08 UTC
The title says it all. I remember, long before I had this account, back when I was first being showed the game by a friend, it was when the game was still in the Revelations II phase.

Stuff I miss from the Pre-Trinity era (serverside and clientside)

Client-Side
- The old intro: It wasn't creepy, and it actually explains the backstory behind the four main factions and the collapse of the EVE Gate, but the current intro is just plain creepy.
- The login screen music: It was actually kind of beautiful (the current stuff is great in its own way, but the older stuff was still better), but the newer ones with each epansion get progessively creepier.
- The insides of the old Gallente stations: While they didn't have any of the fancy shaders that they do now, they had a bunch of other small details to make up for it. Holographic advertisement displays (they weren't that easy to notice, but they were there), enclosed roads full of Non-capsuleer vehicles (you could see the lights moving around from outside the tubes or whatever they were, it has been so long so I don't remember what was carrying the vehicles).
- The old Reaper: It was so minmalistic looking compared to the new one, and it actually respects the part of its description that said it was the smallest frigate to still be in service (the new one is actually slightly bigger than the Rifter).
- The Caldari Frigates with Red Strips on them: That says it all. Not with a llivery of being 60% red like those Tech II ships, but just a simple, Red Stripe. I forgot exactly which ships had the stripe, but they looked beast back then. I wish CCP kept the stripes on them.

Server-Side
- Learning Skills (go ahead and hate me for this): You hated them, but remember that you never HAD to train them, they were never mandatory. But when you did train them, it actually made a difference which was quite noticable in the long run.
They were useful while they lasted, but I guess I can live without them.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-09-03 17:19:08 UTC
I miss "Pinky," my old pink Enyo. Nothing rubs in a gank more than getting ganked by a pink frigate Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Doc Severide
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-09-03 18:17:18 UTC
I have a 60 year old client that's a hot cougar. Different kind of client, yes but UNH !!!
Blane Xero
The Firestorm Cartel
#4 - 2012-09-03 18:40:52 UTC
Should be in Eve General, but uh, Old Suns, Old jump effects, Old Machariel Size, Escrow, etc.

Resident Haruhiist since December 2008.

Laying claim to Out of Pod Experience since 2007, plain and simple. Keep the trash out of [u]Out Of Pod Experience[/u], If it's EVE Related or deserves a Lock, it does not belong here.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-09-03 19:05:29 UTC
I miss Ginger Magician

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-09-03 20:44:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaroq Dricaldari
Blane Xero wrote:
Should be in Eve General, but uh, Old Suns, Old jump effects, Old Machariel Size, Escrow, etc.

Hey dude, how's it going? I can't believe how tired I was when I made this thread. I'll tell you what, I'm going to ask the Devs to move this thread. For all I know, it might get more attention there anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
I miss "Pinky," my old pink Enyo. Nothing rubs in a gank more than getting ganked by a pink frigate Big smile

That sounds like fun. Tough Capsuleers wear Pink, afterall!

P.S.: Man, this scroll wheel is going RIDICULOUSLY fast today.

ISD TYPE40
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-09-03 22:22:03 UTC
*Waves Magic Wand of Thread Movey Abouty*

Thread moved from OOPE to GD - ISD Type40.

[b]ISD Type40 Lt. Commander Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#8 - 2012-09-03 22:28:51 UTC
+1 for old intro, pleasure hubs
-50²⁷ for the meaningless waste of time and SP and bane of good design that was the idiotic and pointless meta-mechanic of learning skills.

Beyond that, the old sounds and many of the old ewar effects. Much prettier and/or with much more oomph. It almost seems like the more technically advanced they make the graphics, the less artistically appealing a result it generates and the more the sound design languishes, grows weaker and becomes less technically impressive.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2012-09-03 22:30:52 UTC
Again, you weren't REQUIRED to train those skills. Also, I did mention that they are something I can live without, didn't I?

Soi Mala
Whacky Waving Inflatable Flailing Arm Tubemen
#10 - 2012-09-03 22:36:03 UTC
old webs, old sensor booster, old nos, old cyno, infact all old effects, but especially the way muzzle flash would light up the side of your ship and any nearby objects.

The old recons were cool too, arazu/curse before the damp/nos nerf. <3

freeform contracts, sniper fleets and old doomsdays. :)
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-09-03 22:39:37 UTC
Your corp should be renamed to "Intergalatic Proton-Powered Electric Tenticle Advertising Droids!"

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#12 - 2012-09-03 22:42:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Oh, and old CONCORD timers. And the ricer go-faster-red + spoiler combo on the Lachesis. And Aura mocking you when you made mistakes. And direct-access buttons to various inventories. And corp hangars being treated as coherent units. And the seriffed titling font. Also, while it wasn't really a client thing, I want to feel enthusiastic about ambulation again.

Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Again, you weren't REQUIRED to train those skills.
In much the same way you aren't required to use a parachute when you go BASE-jumping… with the difference that a parachute serves a useful purpose and the learning skills didn't have the slightest shred of an in-game purpose.
James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#13 - 2012-09-03 22:42:27 UTC
The stations were more fun I guess. Smile
Methesda
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-09-03 22:54:58 UTC
People will scream about this, but I used to love the ability to warp in any direction to any point in space. People could make safe spots in areas that no-one today would ever scan.

It was clearly an overpowered thing, but somehow it made everything seems bigger, and marking out your own hidey hole was a special little place. Reminded me of making a blanket fort when I was a kid.

It's actually not that different from fitting a cloak, I guess.

Eve is about the journey.  If you are so focused on making money, that you insist on having the tools to make it be made as autonomous and easy as possible, then you are never going to have as much fun as I will.

Methesda
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-09-03 22:56:22 UTC
Oh, and multiple MWD fits. The Blackbird used to be the fastest thing in Eve, because Battleships hadn't been released yet, and no other cruiser could fit so many mids. :)

Eve is about the journey.  If you are so focused on making money, that you insist on having the tools to make it be made as autonomous and easy as possible, then you are never going to have as much fun as I will.

Velarra
#16 - 2012-09-03 23:46:43 UTC
The Pre-Trinity/classic client, automated ship spinning option.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-09-03 23:57:48 UTC
Velarra wrote:
The Pre-Trinity/classic client, automated ship spinning option.

That sounds like it would be useful.

Esna Pitoojee
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#18 - 2012-09-04 00:09:19 UTC
- The old intro/backstory video.

- Some items have had their descriptions altered to allow EVE to be released to a T rating; unfortunately, some of the older descriptions (Prostitute, Pillaging 101) were quite funny.

- The original whirlpool-of-death jump animation. God, it was glorious.

- The old varied jump noises provided some welcome difference on those long trips.

- Comets with those flashy police lights.

- Among the various expansion themes, I am particularly fond of the Revelations theme.

- The old Gallente station interiors, as has been said.
Pipa Porto
#19 - 2012-09-04 00:16:36 UTC
The Phobos.

Yes, that's exactly what it was. I'm pretty sure that's why it changed.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

ISD TYPE40
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2012-09-04 00:24:46 UTC
I miss the old Suns and that satisfying "squish" noise and muted scream when you podded someone. Twisted

[b]ISD Type40 Lt. Commander Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

123Next pageLast page