These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Kevin's LPC Guide to PI

First post First post
Author
Kevin Thoughts
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2011-10-14 00:00:08 UTC
Version 1.1 of my substantially updated guide is now available (for free of course!) at:

http://www.kevinsthoughts.com/?p=435

This guide is centered around the concept of building PI infrastructure around ones Launch Pad - thus LPC: Launch Pad Centric.

Please note the Section Index to the left of the article in the blog space. That should make it easier to find specific things if you routinely use the guide.

Besides revamping the documentation around LPC, additional sections have been added around Cost and Figures, Capability by Command Center level, and a small section on using an Alt for PI without diverting much of your real training time to do so.

Thanks for your support!

Kevin
Dietrich VonMirat
Mirat Transtellar
#2 - 2011-10-14 00:50:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Dietrich VonMirat
I can tell you put a lot of effort into your guide, and it's very cool that you want to share and help others learn!

It seems that your intended readers are PI novices, and so you cover a lot of basics without delving too much into optimization, which is fine for that audience.

Offhand I'd suggest that your guide could stand a little organizational editing... You seem to write as you think, and there are some randomly located facts and tangential subjects that could be more conveniently organized.

Overall the writing was pleasant enough for me, reads better than a textbook for sure!! Thanks for sharing!!
Kevin Thoughts
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2011-10-14 01:46:00 UTC
Thanks for the kind words. Your absolutely correct on all counts - so much information, so little time!

This guide really is for the novice, and I still claim that title even after writing the guide. Its basically what I wish I could have found before I started doing PI.

Thanks again.
Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2011-10-14 08:12:30 UTC
Much better revised set ups with shorter links!
Steven Fonulique
SF Incorporated
#5 - 2011-10-14 08:43:54 UTC
Looks like a pretty nice and detailed guide perfect reading material for anyone just starting out.

I just have a note with regards to routing. It is entirely possible to create all the routes required for the entire colony the moment all structures are built and have thier relevant jobs installed. Once you have a factory installed with a schematic or an extractor started and routed the products they will produce to a storage facility you can see the incoming item in the routes section of that storage facility, you can use that to create the next part of a route without the need to wait for the relevant structures to complete their first cycle.
Dean Austrene
Doomheim
#6 - 2011-10-14 08:57:55 UTC
Steven Fonulique wrote:
Looks like a pretty nice and detailed guide perfect reading material for anyone just starting out.

I just have a note with regards to routing. It is entirely possible to create all the routes required for the entire colony the moment all structures are built and have thier relevant jobs installed. Once you have a factory installed with a schematic or an extractor started and routed the products they will produce to a storage facility you can see the incoming item in the routes section of that storage facility, you can use that to create the next part of a route without the need to wait for the relevant structures to complete their first cycle.

This is spot on, when starting on my first planet I believed I had to wait for first cycles to complete before I could route the next process/end point.

This obviously takes some time to do and looking back I would have much appreciated finding this knowledge available in written form.

Marak Sigvald
Chimaera Combine
#7 - 2011-10-14 12:17:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Marak Sigvald
As a complete novice to PI, I found your guide very helpful in getting started.

It was a bit unclear in bits but the work put into it shows.

Thanks for putting the effort in for other players Cool
CCP Zymurgist
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2011-10-14 15:35:07 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Zymurgist
I like your LPC method of setting up a colony. It is very similar to how I operate. Do you feel that it is effective using just the launch pad as the destination for raw materials from the extractors and the destination for processed materials from your factories?

I design my colonies around the Producer-Consumer problem. My original PI attempts ended up with me losing a lot of materials going from extractors straight to factories! So now I go extractor -> Storage -> Factory -> Launchpad on my P1 planets.

Anyhow, very nice guide. You should consider copying it to the EVElopedia. It would make a great resource for the Science and Industry resource page.

Zymurgist Community Representative CCP NA, EVE Online Contact Us at http://support.eveonline.com/pages/petitions/createpetition.aspx

Kevin Thoughts
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-10-14 16:02:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Kevin Thoughts
Honestly, having both a storage facility and the launch pad strikes me as a waste of 700 MWs! You can easily upgrade your links from your extractors to your launch pad for a lot less MWs, eliminate the storage facility, and perhaps have enough left over to add another extractor head. Just watch your volume, although raw materials are pretty small. My primary PI character runs around in a triple stabbed, cloaked, Hoarder which has about 5000 M3 of storage space - so my launch pads 10,000 M3 is seldom taxed.

Your problem with losing product is what drove me to this design. I found myself having extra, mostly idle, factories in place just to handle the peak. By using the LPC method, the launch pad storage serves as a buffer keeping the smaller number of factories 100% busy - ideally until just before your extraction cycle ends.

Please feel free to post the link to the useful threads if you feel its deserving. To be 100% honest, my Blog needs the traffic, and the post is designed for that environment, so I probably won't place a copy anywhere. It also become a problem to keep multiple copies up to date, and I'm sure there are things that need updating - such as the routing information already mentioned (oh, I'll fix with when I set up my next planet and actually do it once!).

Kevin
Anachronic
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-10-14 16:13:57 UTC
Kevin Thoughts wrote:
Honestly, having both a storage facility and the launch pad strikes me as a waste of 700 MWs! You can easily upgrade your links from your extractors to your launch pad for a lot less MWs, eliminate the storage facility, and perhaps have enough left over to add another extractor head. Just watch your volume, although raw materials are pretty small. My primary PI character runs around in a triple stabbed, cloaked, Hoarder which has about 5000 M3 of storage space - so my launch pads 10,000 M3 is seldom taxed.

Your problem with losing product is what drove me to this design. I found myself having extra, mostly idle, factories in place just to handle the peak. By using the LPC method, the launch pad storage serves as a buffer keeping the smaller number of factories 100% busy - ideally until just before your extraction cycle ends.

Please feel free to post the link to the useful threads if you feel its deserving. To be 100% honest, my Blog needs the traffic, and the post is designed for that environment, so I probably won't place a copy anywhere. It also become a problem to keep multiple copies up to date, and I'm sure there are things that need updating - such as the routing information already mentioned (oh, I'll fix with when I set up my next planet and actually do it once!).

Kevin

This is definitely my thoughts on the matter, I always have 1 Launch pad that takes raw from the extractors and funnels out to the processors (upgrading links as necessary). I try to make sure my number of factories can handle just slightly less than the amount of material I produce from extraction but not so much less that another processor wouldn't surpass the output. that way all of my factories are running at 100% efficiency and I will generally get one more full cycle out of a 24hr program leaving me some buffer space in the back end.
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#11 - 2011-10-14 16:31:38 UTC
Excellent guide thx.

Now on a side note I never use storage's just because they are almost that expensive than launch pads but with 50% capacity.

Also, I never route my raw materials directly to factories but to the fly pad, re route to factories, re route from base factory to storage and again to advanced before final stock, nothing is lost like this.

Dietrich VonMirat
Mirat Transtellar
#12 - 2011-10-14 16:46:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Dietrich VonMirat
Just for info's sake... If you wanted to talk in your guide a bit about it...

I do my PI in Wspace. As such I have pretty rich planets, and so the opportunity cost to make anything above P1 is huge.
If you are just making P1, and have rich enough resources to warrant it, you can actually run 2 launch pads and 8 basic factories with a level IV command center.

In that case it is:

XCU -> LP1 -> Factories (8) -> LP2

You need both launch pads because the XCU output is enough that you'd fill one launch pad and lose the extra.
You need everything very close obviously, but as long as you do all the connections right you only need one upgraded link, and that's from the XCU to the first LP.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#13 - 2011-10-14 19:18:22 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:

I design my colonies around the Producer-Consumer problem. My original PI attempts ended up with me losing a lot of materials going from extractors straight to factories! So now I go extractor -> Storage -> Factory -> Launchpad on my P1 planets.

producer consumer works in reallity only with a queue or a buffer in between. Otherwise we would have shops with only one customer inside etc. Using the launchpad as buffer is not only straight forward, it is very easy to maintain. If you have a bottleneck you won't lose stuff that fast.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#14 - 2011-10-14 20:17:36 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:

The problem with that is that the existing PI storage facility buildings are garbage (capacity vs CPU/PG requirements) when compared to Launchpads. Never use storage buildings on a PI planet, the Launchpad is always the better option with its increased flexibility and fewer clicks needed to get stuff on/off the planet.

Personally, I always recommend using the same Launchpad for both input and output. On P2 factory worlds, you bring down 10k m3 worth of product and it gets turned into 2.5k m3 of product. The Launchpad never overflows, so you don't need a 2nd one to hold "output". On P1 harvest worlds, route the raw material into the LP, then just make sure that you have enough BIFs to stay ahead of the raw material input. Since P0 gets compressed by the BIFs when they turn it into P1, your Launchpad never overflows there either (unless you don't have enough BIFs or let it run for too many days).

The only P1 planets where I use (2) LPs are those where I expect a very high volume (m3) of P1 output per day, and I don't want to be bothered with hauling quite that often. All of the raw material gets routed into LP #1, but the BIFs will split their output between LP#1 and LP#2.

P2/P3 production planets are generally setup as multiple-LP setups so that you only have to haul once every day or two (a 3 LP 18 AIF planet runs for 54 or 55 hours for all 2-input P2/P3 products, or 36 hours for a 3-input P3).
Marak Sigvald
Chimaera Combine
#15 - 2011-10-15 08:54:48 UTC
Kevin,

The second read through went a lot better! Probably just late at night etc, my apologies Oops

I have tried a few different ways to do the final production and basically concluded that barring the initial raw material transition to goods, its a lot easier to just have a factory planet set aside to process into more complex items. Possibly as my skills increase that will change, however as most is in low sec I prefer to get in and out asap and manufacture at leisure. Just personal preference however with blockade runner its no big deal either way.

Re: CCP Zyrmugist:

As has been mentioned by those far more experienced than me, the storage facilities really seem pointless at present. I tried them initially, however given the launch pad has the same requirements, holds 2x the goods and can directly launch items, its use was a no brainer over the storage facilities.
Multiple upgraded links to the launch pad from extractor, for raw materials that the factories can't immediately store sorts the problems of lost raw materials nicely (and linked from pad to factories again). I also, possibly at the cost of wasted grid, like to use a launch pad solely for completed goods on that planet.

Thanks again for the great guide!

Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2011-10-15 13:21:30 UTC
No wonder my limited PI (mainly for POS fuel) sucks!

This is excellent. Thanks for sharing!

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2011-10-15 14:43:36 UTC
LPC is definitely the most efficient way to go, I've used it on all my installations since day 1.

In WH space, 1 LP, 1 or 2 Extractors (usually you end up needing 2 as things tend to deplete over time; typically you will run 8 heads on one and 3 on the other), and 7 BPs are a decent setup. If you only need 1 extractor, you can run more than 7 BPs, but given that a good strategy is 4 producer planets and one P2->P4 planet, having one planet overproducing isn't usually worth it, unless of course you can get two of them overproducing that can be combined for some extra P3.

The key is to keep the links as short as possible, especially for the extractors since you will need to upgrade them. But you can put your basics in strings of 3 without needing to upgrade the link to the LPC.

The P2->P4 planet will have 3 LPCs, 16 APs running P2->P3 (sourcing from all 3 LPCs, sending to the output LPC), and 4 APs producing the P4. There is room for an extra AP to generate some P3 on the side. All you do is dump 15360 of each of the P1's into the LPCs and come back 2 days later.

You need all your P2 planets to have 8 processors running full time to keep the pipeline full, but usually that isn't possible (I run my extractors on a 23.75 hr cycle, btw), so every so often you have to skip a day. You can futz around overproducing P1 and then chopping back the extractors and adding a BP but it usually isn't worth the time.

One suggestion I have made in the CSM internal forums is that, with a little simplification and smartening, PI methods could be the basis for revamping a lot of EVE industrial processes. The key elements:

1) Processors should automatically source from any accessible storage facility, LP or CC that has the required raw material, taking from the most full location first. You should be able to set a destination for a processor/extractor, but if you don't, it should just output to a default storage location (ie: first to launchpads, in alpha order, then to storage locations, in alpha order, then to the CC; if something is full, move to the next location).

2) Simplify links; eliminate upgrading, just make their cost related to distance.

3) Higher-level programming. Forget about programming individual BPs and APs to do things. Instead, tell the CC what tasks you want done. Whenever a processor is idle, it just rotates through the list until it finds a task it can perform, and does it.

So my P2->P4 planet program is:

Make Robotics x 1
+ Make Mechanical Parts x 2
+ Make Consumer Electronics x 2

This would make PI a lot simpler, and get rid of all the tiresome rewiring needed to change what you're doing.

And it would be the template for revamping just about every industrial process in the game.

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Marak Sigvald
Chimaera Combine
#18 - 2011-10-16 01:37:14 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
LPC is definitely the most efficient way to go, I've used it on all my installations since day 1.

In WH space, 1 LP, 1 or 2 Extractors (usually you end up needing 2 as things tend to deplete over time; typically you will run 8 heads on one and 3 on the other), and 7 BPs are a decent setup. If you only need 1 extractor, you can run more than 7 BPs, but given that a good strategy is 4 producer planets and one P2->P4 planet, having one planet overproducing isn't usually worth it, unless of course you can get two of them overproducing that can be combined for some extra P3.

The key is to keep the links as short as possible, especially for the extractors since you will need to upgrade them. But you can put your basics in strings of 3 without needing to upgrade the link to the LPC.

The P2->P4 planet will have 3 LPCs, 16 APs running P2->P3 (sourcing from all 3 LPCs, sending to the output LPC), and 4 APs producing the P4. There is room for an extra AP to generate some P3 on the side. All you do is dump 15360 of each of the P1's into the LPCs and come back 2 days later.

You need all your P2 planets to have 8 processors running full time to keep the pipeline full, but usually that isn't possible (I run my extractors on a 23.75 hr cycle, btw), so every so often you have to skip a day. You can futz around overproducing P1 and then chopping back the extractors and adding a BP but it usually isn't worth the time.

One suggestion I have made in the CSM internal forums is that, with a little simplification and smartening, PI methods could be the basis for revamping a lot of EVE industrial processes. The key elements:

1) Processors should automatically source from any accessible storage facility, LP or CC that has the required raw material, taking from the most full location first. You should be able to set a destination for a processor/extractor, but if you don't, it should just output to a default storage location (ie: first to launchpads, in alpha order, then to storage locations, in alpha order, then to the CC; if something is full, move to the next location).

2) Simplify links; eliminate upgrading, just make their cost related to distance.

3) Higher-level programming. Forget about programming individual BPs and APs to do things. Instead, tell the CC what tasks you want done. Whenever a processor is idle, it just rotates through the list until it finds a task it can perform, and does it.

So my P2->P4 planet program is:

Make Robotics x 1
+ Make Mechanical Parts x 2
+ Make Consumer Electronics x 2

This would make PI a lot simpler, and get rid of all the tiresome rewiring needed to change what you're doing.

And it would be the template for revamping just about every industrial process in the game.

Suggestion 1 (sourcing from any stockpile available) is a really good idea. I was quite surprised in fact that it didn't work that way by default.
Kevin Thoughts
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2011-10-18 02:55:10 UTC
Marak Sigvald wrote:
Kevin,

The second read through went a lot better! Probably just late at night etc, my apologies Oops

No apologies are appropriate. I tend to write as I think, and according to my family, thats not an easy thing to follow!

Actually, one of the biggest concerns I had when writing this was the "learning cliff" Eve is so famous for. I just couldn't find a way to define every term in meaningful ways before using it and simply begging for patience.
Athereon
Aths Harem
#20 - 2011-10-18 03:44:18 UTC
Hi Kevin,
was reading through your very useful guide and you can now make 1 change.

"Wait until one extraction cycle is complete (30 minutes if your program is 2 days or less in length) and THEN route the products that will be delivered to your LP to the factories"

You no longer need to wait. If you click on your LP after routing P0 from ECU to LP and select routes (3 arrows icon) you will see something like P0 3000 incoming. You can select this entry and then create route to your factory even though you have no P0 in storage.

I find this particularly useful for factory planets and I can have everything routed prior to the completion of the first cycle.

Cheers.
12Next page