These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Torp Naga

First post
Author
RangerGord
Rothschild's Sewage and Septic Sucking Services
The Possum Lodge
#1 - 2012-09-02 14:01:28 UTC
Now that we have the pretty/fancy new launcher hardpoints, can we have a torp Naga? Every other ship/gun class out there allows you to run something with a full rack of guns, except torpedoes/cruise.

So to make up for releasing 2 similarly capable blaster boats out of the 4 new battlecruisers, you could at least give the Naga the option for fitting torp/cruise launchers so then all of us missile fanboys will have ourselves a viable (and fun) torp ship.

The only other real alternative is to fit up a torp CNR, and thats just not so fun.

Missiles were the only turret type that got ignored with the new battlecruiser release so pretty please can this be something considered for change?

At the time CCP hadn't finished the launcher hardpoints so it is understandable they didn't want their shiney new battlecruiser to be handicapped but the awful old launcher system. But since they made the new launchers there is no excuse.
Kitt JT
True North.
#2 - 2012-09-02 14:13:29 UTC
Actually, the naga had missile hardpoints when it hit sisi.

After a little testing, it was found to be hugely OP.

This is coming from someone with battlecrusiers 5 and 10msp in missiles. I would love if it had torps. but it was OP.

There is currently no ship with 8 launcher hardpoints.
RangerGord
The Possum Lodge
#3 - 2012-09-02 14:19:40 UTC
Yes, it might be OP, but its also very very thin, which adds to the fun. The Talos can be considered OP with a ridiculous blaster setup and the Nado's have stupid alpha with arties, so why not add more to the "glass cannon" feeling and give the players of eve something they have never had, a true torp boat?
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#4 - 2012-09-02 14:46:50 UTC
Kitt JT wrote:
Actually, the naga had missile hardpoints when it hit sisi.

After a little testing, it was found to be hugely OP.

Actually it was found to be worthless.
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#5 - 2012-09-02 17:23:15 UTC
Yes, good, excellent idea.

Turn an incredibly hard hitting ship which functions at absolutely ludicrous ranges into a glass cannon with a broken weapon system that will fail to hit the target for full damage unless at least three target painters are on the target in question.

I remember flying a torp naga. It was easily the weakest and worst attempt at a T3 battlecruiser that I'd seen out of the four. With blasters, it was utterly terrifying. Rails, it had silly long range and still packed a reasonable punch. Torpedoes? It couldn't do anything. As a weapon system they are broken by how quickly damage bleeds out from factors like whether or not the target is a Caldari battleship, or moving at even a meter per second. All of the T3 BCs have PvP uses. If you really want this change, you will be removing the Naga from the pool of viable PvP ships and turning it into just another POS basher.

It was so good to not see whinging about how the Naga used hybrids instead of missiles for a while. Why did you have to bring these asinine arguments back?
Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-09-02 20:06:39 UTC
Aglais wrote:
Yes, good, excellent idea.

Turn an incredibly hard hitting ship which functions at absolutely ludicrous ranges into a glass cannon with a broken weapon system that will fail to hit the target for full damage unless at least three target painters are on the target in question.

I remember flying a torp naga. It was easily the weakest and worst attempt at a T3 battlecruiser that I'd seen out of the four. With blasters, it was utterly terrifying. Rails, it had silly long range and still packed a reasonable punch. Torpedoes? It couldn't do anything. As a weapon system they are broken by how quickly damage bleeds out from factors like whether or not the target is a Caldari battleship, or moving at even a meter per second. All of the T3 BCs have PvP uses. If you really want this change, you will be removing the Naga from the pool of viable PvP ships and turning it into just another POS basher.

It was so good to not see whinging about how the Naga used hybrids instead of missiles for a while. Why did you have to bring these asinine arguments back?

Translation: No thank you because torps as a weapon system are broken and would lead to a broken Naga if it were built for torps. Fix torps first, then we'll talk.

See now, was that so hard to say? Why do you have to be so negative?

I think that the Naga is a bit out of place because it is the same as the talos only not as good at brawling. In theory it would make sense to make the caldari T3 BC a missile boat, but I agree that torps are a broken weapon on anything but stealth bombers and they are only good there because of the range bonus. CCP needs to adjust torps specifically and missiles in general.
RangerGord
The Possum Lodge
#7 - 2012-09-02 21:31:16 UTC
Loius Woo wrote:

I think that the Naga is a bit out of place because it is the same as the talos only not as good at brawling. In theory it would make sense to make the caldari T3 BC a missile boat.

^ This... seemed odd in my mind to release two ships that covered the same nitch (though I guess the Naga is better with rails than the Talos), and to expect that they would perform equally even though they have different specs is crazy, one will always be better than the other, and since there wasn't any other ship in the game that can use a full rack of launchers it seemed even more silly.
Zeomebuch Nova
Undrinkable Grog Inc.
#8 - 2012-09-02 22:02:32 UTC
I'd support a torp naga. You balance it by modifying the bonuses torps get from the ship. There is no need to get an OP nor UP ship out of this.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#9 - 2012-09-02 23:06:50 UTC
RangerGord wrote:
seemed odd in my mind to release two ships that covered the same nitch (though I guess the Naga is better with rails than the Talos), and to expect that they would perform equally even though they have different specs is crazy, one will always be better than the other

The blaster Talos may be better at "up close" combat... but the blaster Naga excels at kiting targets from afar (40+ km range with blasters using Null ammo)... and it shield tanks better.
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#10 - 2012-09-03 03:54:11 UTC
Fix torps (and citadel torps) and fix cruise missiles (and citadel) and then we'll talk about a torp/cruise-naga.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-09-03 04:42:43 UTC
The problem is that missiles already are slightly overpowered. Torpedoes are especially overpowered, they actually have higher DPS than mega neutron blasters. Missiles are supposed to have the lowest dps.

Still, I think they could make it have 6 launcher hardpoints like the Raven, or just nerf missiles and buff the hardpoints on missile boats, then give it 8.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-09-03 05:09:19 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Torpedoes are especially overpowered,

Shocked

Ummm...

You see exactly how many torp ships running around doing PvP?

Oh yea...NONE.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Torps only do the most damage against structures (not moving, huge signature radius) If a target is doing anything (moving or has a small sig) then they do shite damage. The fall off of damage is too steep on the torps and that is what makes them totally useless for PvP.
Gerrick Palivorn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-09-03 05:40:23 UTC
OP you have the best name I've seen for a while +1 for that, I didn't bother reading the rest of the post

MMOs come and go, but Eve remains.  -Garresh-

Dracan02
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#14 - 2012-09-03 06:30:47 UTC
the only thing torps are good for at the moment is ganking BS with bombers and structure bashing. the only thing that would make a torp naga any good is to bonus the torps for exp. velocity and radius... if you did that you would have the same problem that came with the old cruiser missile bombers. overly powerful against a small range of targets, useless against everything ells.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#15 - 2012-09-03 08:12:24 UTC
The torp Naga was worthless because its DPS could only be affectively applied against BS or, with painting support, t1/2 BCs. Unfortunately, the fundamental problem was that in the close-range gank-off that a torp Naga would have to take part in, it would very likely lose the applied DPS/EHP race to a BS or t2 BC. It certain;y would have been dead meat to another t3 BC.

I remember someone proposing Cavalry-Raven tactics for torp Naga gangs, using Doppler-shifted torp spam to overwhelm local and RR tank. But it didn't seem a very good idea. You'd have to get your torp Naga into position, lock up and redbox your target (giving time for hostile logi to start repping), then fly straight at them, giving them the opportunity to web and gank you. All so complicated when you can just fly a Tornado...

The Cruise Naga, relative to turret t3 BCs, had poor DPS in the important ~100 km region, compounded by flight time and missile damage application concerns. It was worthless too.

The current rail Naga may not have the close-range gankiness of a Talos. And it shouldn't, that's Gallente's realm. But neither does that Talos deal 700 DPS at 100 km...
CCP Ytterbium
C C P
C C P Alliance
#16 - 2012-09-03 09:50:58 UTC
*Waves hand in a slow motion*

These are not the Torpedo Nagas you are looking forP

The problem with missiles doesn't change that the intended role for current Tier3 battlecruiser is incompatible with torpedoes, so Torpedo Naga isn't going to happen, sowwy!
Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#17 - 2012-09-03 09:59:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Fon Revedhort
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

The problem with missiles doesn't change that the intended role for current Tier3 battlecruiser is incompatible with torpedoes, so Torpedo Naga isn't going to happen, sowwy!

Any chance you admitting the reason Torpedo (actually, missile) Naga fails is the fact cruise missiles are also lacking? That is: lacking DPS in the first place.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Colonel Xaven
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-09-03 10:01:10 UTC
Fon Revedhort wrote:
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Any chance you admitting the reason Torpedo (actually, missile) Naga fails is the fact cruise missiles are also lacking?

No, re-read.

www.facebook.com/RazorAlliance

Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#19 - 2012-09-03 10:06:40 UTC
Colonel Xaven wrote:
Fon Revedhort wrote:
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Any chance you admitting the reason Torpedo (actually, missile) Naga fails is the fact cruise missiles are also lacking?

No, re-read.

Post with your main, the one with blue badge.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Selaya Ataru
Phalanx Solutions
#20 - 2012-09-03 11:12:28 UTC
Fon Revedhort wrote:
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Any chance you admitting the reason Torpedo (actually, missile) Naga fails is the fact cruise missiles are also lacking? That is: lacking DPS in the first place.

Any chance that you get the point that missile based ships are just bad for sniping and the Naga is in fact a sniper ship?

12Next page