These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Case for Removing Learning Implants

First post
Author
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#281 - 2012-08-31 20:21:48 UTC
Ensign X wrote:
Do you fly around in ships that you can't afford to lose?

Can you refit the ship you own so you won't run around with these officer mods you bling it up with? Can you easily change ships for a cheaper one if you know you're about to experience PVP?

Can you do the same thing to your head? No? So you can't mitigate the loss, except for waiting for the JC cooldown, which means that some people will go "meh I don't want to PVP with these implants" and log off instead. Which, incidentally, is the premise for this whole thing, a reduction in potential PVP.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Ensign X
#282 - 2012-08-31 20:38:32 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Ensign X wrote:
Do you fly around in ships that you can't afford to lose?

Can you refit the ship you own so you won't run around with these officer mods you bling it up with? Can you easily change ships for a cheaper one if you know you're about to experience PVP?

So, we're in agreement. Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

Therefore, don't PVP in a Jump clone that you can't afford to replace.

You've done a big thing today by agreeing with what is right and I commend you.
Ensign X
#283 - 2012-08-31 20:39:37 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Can you do the same thing to your head? No? So you can't mitigate the loss, except for waiting for the JC cooldown, which means that some people will go "meh I don't want to PVP with these implants" and log off instead. Which, incidentally, is the premise for this whole thing, a reduction in potential PVP.

Again, you're in agreement that the problem is jump clone cooldowns and not implants. I don't know why that conclusion was so hard to come by.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#284 - 2012-08-31 20:45:11 UTC
Ensign X wrote:
Again, you're in agreement that the problem is jump clone cooldowns

Nope. Jump Clone as a mechanic for "safekeeping" implants is a horrible mechanic, no matter what you dress it up as. Either

1) Remove implants and give everyone a stats boost, or
2) Allow people to unplug learning implants (or maybe even normal implants vOv).

RIP Vile Rat

Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#285 - 2012-09-01 00:48:40 UTC
Leave learning implants alone, they provide choice and choice is good.

Add hardwires for slots 1-5, again choice is good.

Removing the JC timer completely is a bad idea. Lowering it would probably be ok if it wasn't set too low, perhaps no less than 12 hours. A skill that reduces it would probably be the best idea if it's going to be fooled with, say 10 percent per level maybe and make it a rank 2 skill at a minimum.

Removable implants is kind of a strange idea since they are wired into the brain. Nothing is impossible though so maybe with discoveries surrounding the sleeper implants used in Dust a way is figured out to make them removable. Honestly, I don't really like the idea of them being removable though.

Changing between a jump and med clone in stations is a more interesting idea. NPC stations in high and low could offer the service either for an extra cost or based on standings or some combination, anything so long as it isn't a free service. For sov holders an upgrade could be made available and be subject to a system index requirement of some sort. Perhaps military and industry at 1 or one of them at 2 since that would indicate pilots out in the system doing stuff. SI wouldn't really be a good choice as it's basically a hurry up and wait timer. Besides, any group strong enough, or devious enough for that matter, to take and hold a station should be able to get the other indexes up quickly if they want to install upgrades.

Being able to switch between a medical clone and a jump clone in the same station could also lead to more fighting. Say alliance A has a station with the upgrades in and everyone there has a med clone and a jump clone installed. Alliance C comes along and takes sov. Before A is driven off, everyone leaves a combat ship in the station and switches to their med clone. They then change their med clone locations so all that is left in the station is their jc and a ship. Alliance C disables the medical clones for alliance A but there is nothing they can do about the jump clones. Some time later when A has regrouped, they jc back to the station and undock and take one last shot at whatever they can. Granted this type of scenario can be done now but it requires a bit of juggling with your clones and frankly, it's a pita to pull it off with large numbers. Switching between a med and jump clone in the same station would make it easier to accomplish. Going forward, sov holders would have to be more wary of who owned the area before them as you never know when a force might decide to jump in and start wreaking havoc.
Bane Loppknow
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#286 - 2012-09-01 02:51:35 UTC
I flew my full set of +5s through null fairly often. Bitches need to man up.

Going on PvP roam: jump into an implant free clone. Carebearing it up: Stay in your implant clone, don't be an idiot.

Not hard.
Ukonius
Freeport Eleven
#287 - 2012-09-01 05:07:41 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
well the thing is
CCP is trying to split the gamer population.. giving it a more defined definition.
High sec : Safe zone for the anti-social and timid nerds -- Maybe some ppl choose to play the way they want to, not how you think they should

Low sec : Low life that gets bullied in school and now is trying to make up for it, and incursion runners too -- Agree with you here 100%

Null sec : For the gladiators and intellectuals of the society , trying to make a name for themselves by exploring the riches of the unknown -- Get over yourself mate, keyboard commandos are a dime a dozen. Dont be a statistic !

So... EVEN if people buys your argument, the very aim of it alone would make the chances of it actually being implemented VERY slim

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#288 - 2012-09-01 05:44:12 UTC
I use +5s in my hisec jump clone that is there for inactivity, otherwise I don't even bother with implants. Slower training speed for certain but that is irrelevant once you pass 40 million sp and haven't trained your toon like a scrublord.

As for removing learning implants - no. Just no.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#289 - 2012-09-01 05:52:22 UTC
Proletariat Tingtango wrote:
How about CCP just cuts the ****, lets everyone learn skills at the absolutely best possible rate, and re-appropriate stats exclusively for pvp/pve use, instead of creating a huge money/time sink for newbies. This game is already hard for new players to get into due to the fact that nearly everything fun requires at least a few months worth of SP. There's no reason to keep learning implants around unless you're one of the turds who puts the things out on the market.

Why doesn't anyone suggest reducing the cost of learning implants? It's always "remove them, they're too expensive, and the fear of losing expensive stuff makes me stay away from PvP."

But then folks happily get podded in snakes, slaves, halos … it seems that there is a disconnect here somewhere.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#290 - 2012-09-01 07:36:01 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

Which all the reason anyone should need to do the exact opposite of whatever the article is suggesting.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Sim Cognito
Obani Gemini Corporation
#291 - 2012-09-01 08:09:25 UTC
Remove them and increase base attributes by 5.

They're an outdated and restrictive mechanic that discourages nullsec and pvp interaction.
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#292 - 2012-09-01 08:35:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Alpheias
Sim Cognito wrote:

They're an outdated and restrictive mechanic that discourages nullsec and pvp interaction.

If you are too lazy to sort yourself jump clones, then the only one that impose that restriction is none other than yourself. The game does not impose any restriction on you whether you are in null or you pvp as you can do both with a head full of implants.

Nice hyperbole though.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Lilianna Star
Vagrant Empress
#293 - 2012-09-01 08:48:29 UTC
Attributes in general always bothered me in this game. Why are they here? Do they contribute to the game's depth in any way? No. It's just there so MOAR GRIND.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#294 - 2012-09-01 08:51:56 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Sim Cognito wrote:

If you are too lazy to sort yourself jump clones

Yes, jumpclones which require you to literally jump through hoops to setup. It's a horrible solution to a dumb problem which discourages PVP.

RIP Vile Rat

Frying Doom
#295 - 2012-09-01 09:27:18 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Sim Cognito wrote:

Yes, jumpclones which require you to literally jump through hoops to setup. It's a horrible solution to a dumb problem which discourages PVP.

So whats next on the agenda removing standing requirements?

The basic fact is part of the Null crowd get there ship costs covered for them, so no risk there.
Now you want Learning implants removed, so you will have no risk there.

It just seems like the risk adverse players are actually in the Large Null alliances and not in Hi-sec as the members of these large Null alliances keep telling everyone.

Members of RvB seem to get along quite well with things as they are and with learning skills removed you can actually use your character for PvP or what ever you like straight off the bat.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#296 - 2012-09-01 09:47:49 UTC
The only reason I don't use pirate implants is because of the crappy +3 attributes they give.

With the removal of attribute enhancers I would fly nothing but pirate fitted clones instead.
Ghazu
#297 - 2012-09-01 09:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Ghazu
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Sim Cognito wrote:

So whats next on the agenda removing standing requirements?

The basic fact is part of the Null crowd get there ship costs covered for them, so no risk there.
Now you want Learning implants removed, so you will have no risk there.

It just seems like the risk adverse players are actually in the Large Null alliances and not in Hi-sec as the members of these large Null alliances keep telling everyone.

Members of RvB seem to get along quite well with things as they are and with learning skills removed you can actually use your character for PvP or what ever you like straight off the bat.

Hey lets have bombs bubbles the whole shebang in hisec too, to balance out concord a bit.
Also go ask lee chanka of white noise how risk free things are in null.

http://www.minerbumping.com/ lol what the christ https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2299984#post2299984

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#298 - 2012-09-01 10:05:49 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
Frying Doom, stop assuming ship replacement programs are a standard in nullsec. Not everybody can afford it and it's only recently that space communism came into fashion. Stop trying to spin this as a secret agenda for evil nullsec empires. This is about removing unecessary ball aches from the game the same way learning skills were removed. It's more about helping new players enjoy the nullsec game without having to worry about implants and training time lost before they can afford to pay for implant losses.

Also you do realise how easy it is to get your pod out safely in hisec/lowsec right?
Sola Mercury
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#299 - 2012-09-01 10:17:57 UTC
Loses have significance <-> Some calculate the risk and dont want to risk the loss.

Two sides of one medal.
So removing lerning implants moves EVE towards arcade shooter gameplay.

For me not the existence of lerning implants is the problem, but the fact, you cant replace or remove them, w/o destroing them.
Give players the ability to choose which level of risk they want to take in a given situation is the way to go.
Frying Doom
#300 - 2012-09-01 10:28:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
Aruken Marr wrote:
Frying Doom, stop assuming ship replacement programs are a standard in nullsec. Not everybody can afford it and it's only recently that space communism came into fashion. Stop trying to spin this as a secret agenda for evil nullsec empires. This is about removing unecessary ball aches from the game the same way learning skills were removed. It's more about helping new players enjoy the nullsec game without having to worry about implants and training time lost before they can afford to pay for implant losses.

Also you do realise how easy it is to get your pod out safely in hisec/lowsec right?

What large Null sec alliance does not have a ship replacement program?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!