These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Confirm box against expensive mistypes

Author
Gevlon Goblin
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-08-28 07:29:30 UTC
You can quickly lose some nice bunch of ISK by mistyping a number on the market interface.

There is already a feature to protect against it, if the price is 100% higher than the average, it warns you. However it doesn't always work, because some items doesn't have an established value or someone manipulated it (therefore the normal price is already at 60000%). Also it doesn't protect from Typing in 190M instead of 160M.

We can assume that buy orders are smaller than sell orders. It doesn't make sense to set up a buy order for 190M when a sell order is available at 180M on that very station. Nor it makes sense to set up a sell order for 160M when buy order is available for 170M. There are exceptions, typically when you buy in bulk and want to scoop up 10 sell orders by setting up a buy.

So, my suggestion is that whenever one creates or modifies to a sell order that is below an available buy, or a buy order above an available sell, a confirmation box should pop up "You try to sell XXX for 160.000.000 while someone would pay 170.000.000 for it. Are you sure to proceed?"

My blog: greedygoblin.blogspot.com

Dcna
Nehe Umbrella
#2 - 2012-08-29 06:20:26 UTC
I have not run into this issue personally, but after reading this post I am scared that I will.

Please implement CCP!
Hrothgar Nilsson
#3 - 2012-08-29 10:07:26 UTC
Don't be careless.

There's a saying in construction - measure twice, cut once. In market trading, read twice, submit once.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-08-29 10:43:12 UTC
In EvE no will/should hold your hand. Pay attention and you will not be scammed nor will you screw up, well not as much.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#5 - 2012-08-29 10:47:14 UTC
Actions have consequences.

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#6 - 2012-08-29 16:18:55 UTC
Paikis wrote:

This

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Gevlon Goblin
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-08-29 19:54:08 UTC
Then remove the keyboard shortcuts too and let pilots click on those little green icons for overheat...

It's a spaceship game, not a typist game

Michael Harari
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#8 - 2012-08-29 23:34:16 UTC
There is a confirmation window already, and you ignored it.
Gevlon Goblin
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-08-30 04:26:37 UTC
Have you actually read the opening post?

I did not "ignore" the first box, I purposefully clicked trough it because it said "you are selling for 60000%". If I typed the correct number, it would still pop up saying "you are selling for 6000%". The suggestion could have been "CCP please fix the first confirmation box", but it wouldn't be too helpful. Also several times you want to sell out of the old average (like FW T5 sellouts). But you never want to sell lower than an available buy order.

Matriarch Prime
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-08-30 05:18:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Matriarch Prime
An added solution would be to stop removing the comma deliniation when the field has focus/cursor. It would probably stop a lot more errors.

I like big guns. I can not lie. You other suckas can't deny. When I warp in, with an itty bity sig, with an arty in your face, you get sprung. You want to pull out your debuffs, 'cause you want to loot my stuff...deep, in a worm with nary, an escape but you can't stop staring. 'Cause, Oh crap!, Baby's got Point!

Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-08-30 13:06:02 UTC
I would remove the .01 isks from the game, that would help typing numbers too.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#12 - 2012-08-30 13:23:17 UTC
Akrasjel Lanate wrote:
Paikis wrote:

This

Not empty quotin'

Also, "Tab" is your friend.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2012-08-30 13:53:20 UTC
Tab? What for?
Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-08-30 17:14:03 UTC
Qvar Dar'Zanar wrote:
Tab? What for?

it changes the focus window, and eve puts " , " seperators into your number string

Ie

becomes

which makes it easier to see if you are messing up

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Gevlon Goblin
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-08-31 04:40:50 UTC
Yes, Tab helps, also, ctrl-c "000000" and just ctrl-v it when you mean million helps. But why can't the UI be straightforward letting us focus on the action itself and not its implementation. Just like the question in PvP is when to overheat and not how to click that little green icon, the question in market is what price to use and not how to type it in.

Evolution1979
Hull Down Inc.
#16 - 2012-08-31 06:01:31 UTC
You do realise you can set market orders from low to high or the other way around right?
This way you cannot screw up!

Also for the problem somebody manipulates the market there is an easy rule!
If you are the only one selling an item, you can charge as much as you want for it!
Thats free market economy there!
Someone else can try selling the same for less ofcourse, but unless someone does, the price that is being asked can never higher then its actually worth.

Also check price history graph is you think something is overpriced.
Then decide if you want to buy something or not!
Bobo Cindekela
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-08-31 08:20:02 UTC
dont be so damn hasty next time?

You are about to engage in an arguement with a forum alt,  this is your final warning.

Balanah
Quebec's Underdog League
Quebec United Legions
#18 - 2012-08-31 13:49:27 UTC
The thing is that we're stuck with billions of isks in the wallet. The solution? Send some of your fortune to one of your 2 free alts.
Or send it to me. I assure you i t will be in a safe spot Twisted

Wormhole animal.

Griffin Omanid
Knights of the Zodiac
#19 - 2012-08-31 14:41:10 UTC
Wait, isn´t doesn´t you already have to windows open when you buy or sell something, one is the region-market the other is the sell window. You have to check both before selling/buying, otherwise it is more or less your own fault.
Dreko Tremeire
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-08-31 19:45:42 UTC
Gevlon Goblin wrote:
But why can't the UI be straightforward letting us focus on the action itself and not its implementation.

Hey Gevlon, this reminded me of something I read a while ago, I don't know if you've seen it before.

Gevlon Goblin wrote:
The slacker [...] believes that others should make his rewards happen. "Others" can be the developers

Food for thought!
12Next page