These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Read before you Troll Different take on Arena Idea (Delete)

Author
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-08-29 23:02:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Omnathious Deninard
First off i have read all these
a.) Go read the threads asking for Arenas, so you can get an understanding of some of the issues they have:
Deadspace Nullsec ArenasConsensual PvP Arenas
Virtual Arenas
Tourney Arenas
Controlled Arenas
Lowsec Arenas
Dueling Arenas
Ship Restricted Combat Zones
Dueling Contracts
PvP Arenas
Colosseums
Simulated PvP
PvP Simulator
Null and Lowsec Arenas
Duel Mode
The Thunderdome

The idea is to make a gate from the 4 trade hubs (amarr, jita, dodixie, rens) to a system once inside this system THERE IS NO WAY OUT, you will die there.
You can bring in whatever fit you want faction, officer, deadspace whatever but you will lose it.
There will be no stations, no moons, no planets just a few (maybe 4-6) celestial objects to warp to, thus finding fights.
it will be 0.0 sec status, but it should not allow the anchoring of anything.
You will be sent to a random location upon jumping into the system, then can warp to any celestial you want.
Should there be local? first instinct says yes, but for the fun of pvp i vote NO.

Should/Could it be a Binary System that generates a different effect every downtime???

How is this good for PvP??? It gives solo pvpers a chance at pvp without jumping into a bubble camp 1 jump into null
Why is this needed?? It is not
Is instanced arena's the only real solution to whatever problem it is correcting??
Where will the fights happen? in a back hole system with no way out
How will warp ins occur? standard warpins to any object
Why does ranking mean anything (it doesn't!!)?? Only will to faction warfare
How do you deal with fleet boosters & bonuses? They will die also, with no means of escape
How do you enforce fitting limitations (number of asb's, faction/officer mods)? you can bring whatever you are willing to lose
Why does it have a time limit? No set time limit, live as long as you can
Why are there arena boundaries? NA
What prevents people from just warping off? they could only warp to another celestial
What is the point of it?????????????and why does it belong in eve? FUN, PvP without bubble camps, capital escelation, and hot drops

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#2 - 2012-08-29 23:48:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Nestara Aldent
All that you listed works great, except you lost one important point... What will people choose between easy to get arena/battleground fights, or camping some gate for hours?

That would kill open world PVP.

However, if arenas gave no reward whatsoever and would be limited to maybe 5v5 or even 10v10, it might be acceptable. Fight over nullsec or WH resources would continue.

However, reading closely what you wrote, I disagree on your view of a battleground. If I were to implement it, I'd implement it in completely different manner.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-08-29 23:51:00 UTC
Gate camping can be looted this cannot, on a gate camp you could pop a 3 bill isk ship and grab 1bill in loot

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#4 - 2012-08-30 00:13:26 UTC
1 this would be bad for open world pvp

2. the fact that you think this will be better for solo pvpers is very amusing. **** would be blobby as all hell.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-08-30 00:15:33 UTC
I never said it would be better, I said it would give them a chance.
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "open" pvp

Jax Bederen
Dark Horse RM
#6 - 2012-08-30 00:18:07 UTC
I would prefer a virtual reality device in station that copies your owned vessel of choosing, say it cost a million to use it. This way I can try different fits, get some quick pvp and see ships I would normally not see pvp. Sounds fun to me.

Would open world pvp suffer?some. Blobs would still blob for assets, but is gate camping really so fun? if some of those peeps choose not to do that anymore, maybe it was not that great to begin with, sounds as exciting and challenging as mining to me.

Really maybe more would actually go low sec as they would at least have some experience on how to fight properly. Experience breeds cockiness.

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-08-30 00:21:30 UTC
Jax Bederen wrote:
I would prefer a virtual reality device in station that copies your owned vessel of choosing, say it cost a million to use it. This way I can try different fits, get some quick pvp and see ships I would normally not see pvp. Sounds fun to me.

Would open world pvp suffer?some. Blobs would still blob for assets, but is gate camping really so fun? if some of those peeps choose not to do that anymore, maybe it was not that great to begin with, sounds as exciting and challenging as mining to me.

Really maybe more would actually go low sec as they would at least have some experience on how to fight properly. Experience breeds cockiness.

Try Sisi I for cheap pvp, they added faction modules and ships over the summer, there is also 2 combat systems there and it will only cost you around 100k for each complete ship you try out.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#8 - 2012-08-30 00:23:51 UTC
So ... 20 minutes after this went live an alliance would have a 50 man fleet inside said system owning anyone and everyone who showed up.

How does this promote small gang/solo PvP again?

PvP arenas in general are just a bad idea. This one is less bad than many others, but it's still a bad idea.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-08-30 00:29:50 UTC
They will run out of charges eventually, or get bored like some do and blow each other up, there is no docking so when you log you could login in the middle of someone else's fight.

Jax Bederen
Dark Horse RM
#10 - 2012-08-30 00:30:58 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Jax Bederen wrote:

Try Sisi I for cheap pvp, they added faction modules and ships over the summer, there is also 2 combat systems there and it will only cost you around 100k for each complete ship you try out.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it easier to find some solo fights out there rather then the 10 vs 1?
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-08-30 00:32:07 UTC
Blobs will always happen, it is the eve works.
There are generally less people on Sisi though

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#12 - 2012-08-30 00:32:47 UTC
They will run out of charges eventually, or get bored like some do and blow each other up, there is no docking so when you log you could login in the middle of someone else's fight.

If an alliance can organize a large fleet in said system, it's really not too far a stretch for them to jump in a hauler full of ammo -_-

And it's statistically impossible to log off from a safespot and accidentally log on into someone else's fight. Space is REALLY big.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-08-30 00:34:35 UTC
Think of it this way also, if the blobs are in this "arena" then there are not on some gate, giving small gangs pvp another place

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#14 - 2012-08-30 01:00:53 UTC
Think of it this way also, if the blobs are in this "arena" then there are not on some gate, giving small gangs pvp another place

It would only take one blob to ruin this system for solo/small gang people

Leaving lots of blobs to go around for the rest of us.

I really can't see how anyone would think this is a good idea, it makes absolutely no sense for the eve universe.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Katie Frost
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-08-30 01:01:24 UTC
"Open world" PvP is the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. The way your "arena"-style PvP would affect the 'open world' PvP is by taking away the players that may generally roam or fight in the 'open world' and cram them into these instanced arenas. This has been a counter-point to every proposal involving instanced PvP in all the topics you listed.

There isn't an infinite pool of PvP players out there, in fact, there is probably a scarcity. This idea spreads an already drained resource in EvE pretty thin.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-08-30 01:08:27 UTC
Is open pvp not deterred due to blobs, and closed pvp would be bad due to blobs, then it seems that all pvp in eve is blob or die.
Also I never indicated that I thought this system was flawless, but rather than say that won't work could you not offer an idea to make it plausible?

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-08-30 01:39:14 UTC
How about if upon entering you were automatically placed into a squad that has less than 10 people, to a maxium of 10 people.

Raven Fenx
Kenshin Katana.
United Caldari Space Command.
#18 - 2012-08-30 01:50:25 UTC
Bad Idea.... Sisi already covers the cheap, experimental PVP quite well.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-08-30 01:54:52 UTC
Who said anything about cheap experimental pvp regarding the OP?

Akara Ito
Phalanx Solutions
#20 - 2012-08-30 02:19:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Akara Ito
Why would I want to go into this glorified arena?

Edit: Please remove "ship restricted combat zones" from the list of things that have been suggested.
Those things exist in the form of FW plexes.
12Next page