These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Players Scanning me down in my missions.

Author
Samir Saab
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-08-27 17:31:36 UTC
Hello all,

Recently, veteran players been scanning me down and coming into my missions and suicide ganking me.

Any tips how to deal with that? I try to warp out but they warp jam me and rain hell on me. I lost a batlteship before due to that and last night I saw someone coming into my misson and I did not even bother to think about staying. I warped and left.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-08-27 17:36:14 UTC
Have you tried Parlay?

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Toaulk Rokbyter
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-08-27 17:47:45 UTC
Samir,

People don't suicide gank without good cause. They don't do it to grief (well... mostly not)... they do it to profit. You had to have fits worthy of suiciding.

The other, and more highly likely scenario, is that someone showed up in your mission pocket and started ninja-looting/salvaging, and you shot at them because they became red and you panicked. As soon as you fired a shot, you opened yourself up for counter attack, and you lost.

The lesson here is, don't do silly things.. like fly multi-billion isk fits. Also, don't target/attack other players unless you are intending to kill them. There are ways to deal with the problem, but you need to be honest with yourself about which problem you have.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#4 - 2012-08-27 18:07:25 UTC
... kinda pointless to suicide gank a missioner in hisec... tanks are (in general) a bit much. Not that it can't be done ... but unless you're flying pimp-fit (i.e. officer mods), there's not much money involved.

You sure they didn't can-flip you to entice you to engage them?

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#5 - 2012-08-27 20:04:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Xercodo
Yeah unless they had a few tornado alpha you and they all got concorded then you let them shoot you.

Or was this in low sec?

If you were in high sec and the last fights took longer then about half a minute then it wasn't a suicide gank, they shot you legally.

Edit: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=14450213

Yup looks like you agressed him and he slowly whittled you down. That wasn't a suicide gank, simply don't shoot them next time.

The Drake is a Lie

Adam Junior
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-08-27 20:52:37 UTC
Don't attack people who are blinky red unless you want a fight.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#7 - 2012-08-27 20:58:21 UTC
I set all wrecks to abandoned (blue), and let them loot whatever they want.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-08-27 22:04:37 UTC
Xercodo wrote:
Yeah unless they had a few tornado alpha you and they all got concorded then you let them shoot you.

Or was this in low sec?

If you were in high sec and the last fights took longer then about half a minute then it wasn't a suicide gank, they shot you legally.

Edit: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=14450213

Yup looks like you agressed him and he slowly whittled you down. That wasn't a suicide gank, simply don't shoot them next time.

This.

That person likely stole some loot from one of your wrecks.

Cause he stole something, he turned flashy red to you (you can defend your properties).

You decided to shoot him.

Cause you shot him, he gained the right to defend himself.

This was what he was after, he was in PvP ship, you were in a PvE ship.

Tip of the day: Only engage other players if you:

A) Intend to kill them.
B) Intend to fight with them and agree that you can loose a ship

If it's neither A or B. Then just leave them be and ignore them.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#9 - 2012-08-27 22:15:15 UTC
They don't flash red, just red. But yes, it's probably them trying to goad you into attacking them. Apart from that, don't have a "faction fetish" when it comes to fitting your ships, it tends to attract gankers. You're ofcourse fine to do it in moderation but if you start adding pith-x nonsense or the likes then you're making yourself a target,
Samir Saab
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-08-27 22:55:01 UTC
There is difference between Red aggression and red for looting wrecks? Color wise?
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#11 - 2012-08-27 23:46:48 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Samir Saab wrote:
There is difference between Red aggression and red for looting wrecks? Color wise?

Yep. When they just loot your wrecks, they are simply red. When they are shooting at you, they are red and have blinking red highlights around them.

edit: Joking aside I recommend you do two things.

1. Open up your overview (can only be done in space by clicking the upper left corner of it and selecting "Overview Settings") and play around with it a bit. It takes some getting use to... but it's fairly simple... ish.
The "lists" in some of the tabs you find prioritizes things from the highest (top of the list) to the lowest (bottom of the list). Make sure that certain friendly states supersede hostile markers as you may find friends who do bad things in the future.

2. Ask people in-game and/or review the EVELOPEDIA entries regarding aggro mechanics. Knowledge is power and that guy who killed you used your lack of knowledge to his advantage.
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#12 - 2012-08-27 23:49:50 UTC
Red means that YOU are allowed to attack THEM, flashy red means that THEY are allowed to attack YOU. So they steal from you and turn red, red in itself is meaningless and you can just ignore it but if you decide to shoot them then THEN they are ofcourse allowed to shoot back, and turn flashing red.

These colour codes can be changed in the overview settings window.
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#13 - 2012-08-27 23:57:05 UTC
Samir Saab wrote:

Yes there is.....

Different flags represent different types of aggression... I have no idea what the default overview setting is now, but I know what the general rules are:

1.) Outlaw is a pilot with a sec status below -5.0.... you can legally shoot them in highsec, and faction police will chase them in highsec if they are in a ship... They cannot legally shoot you until you shoot at them... but they became an outlaw by doing illegal stuff.
2.) GCC is a pilot that recently committed a crime and was flagged by concord as a current criminal... Concord will soon show up and kill them if they are in highsec and in a ship... They can't legally shoot you, but often will if they think they can kill you in the precious 20 or less seconds it takes for concord to show up.
3.) War Target is a pilot at war with your corp/alliance/militia, and they can shoot you, and you can shoot them at will...
4.) Thief... is a pilot that stole from you, and you can legally shoot.... They can't legally shoot you unless you shoot at them..
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#14 - 2012-08-28 00:11:41 UTC
Personally, I have on my overview:
* Outlaw: flashing yellow
* War Target & Faction Target: Flashing red = immediate threat
* Terrible standing: solid red

http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/TauCabalander/Overview_Settings.png
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-08-28 00:38:47 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:

People I can shoot are red, people I can't shoot are not red.... just like God and CCP intended Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-08-28 07:36:04 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

People I can shoot are red, people I can't shoot are not red.... just like God and CCP intended Big smile
NBSI because I can't see red.
"What do you mean with 'not deep blue'??"
"T'was blue, ya know... just not solid deep blue... kinda washed off old blue... means I can shoot right? right?!"
"If they didn't whine in local... *shrugs*"

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#17 - 2012-08-28 11:15:36 UTC
tsk tsk
Dradius Calvantia
Wolfbane ltd
#18 - 2012-08-28 13:40:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Dradius Calvantia
http://i.imgur.com/v52It.png

My preferred method of dealing with the messy "gray area" of the various player states.
Matriarch Prime
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-08-28 15:38:42 UTC
The default setup I believe is blinking means they can shoot you. Red just means you can shoot them.

I like big guns. I can not lie. You other suckas can't deny. When I warp in, with an itty bity sig, with an arty in your face, you get sprung. You want to pull out your debuffs, 'cause you want to loot my stuff...deep, in a worm with nary, an escape but you can't stop staring. 'Cause, Oh crap!, Baby's got Point!

Reicheck
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-08-28 15:41:03 UTC
I saw a lot of replies telling you what to do when those guys show up, but nothing telling you how to avoid them in the first place.

Don't mission near trade hubs. They'll scan you every time.

Use D-scan. Set it for 360 scan. Maximum range. Look for Combat Probe, Sisters Combat Probe etc. (this uses your overhead settings)
If more than 2 probes are on your scan it is past time to leave for a few minutes.
Have fun with them, warp to a station and launch drones. Hang out there for a while. Watch for probes and then watch them warp to you at the station. :) Stay in docking range just in case they really want you.

And yeah, don't shoot them. They either have really good pvp fits or they'll have logi setting off grid waiting to rescue them. There may even be an Orca hanging around with pvp ships waiting for the ninja if he is using a bait fail fit ship.

Hope this helps.

No sig here.

12Next page