These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Player

Author
pjgreg04
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-08-21 12:24:53 UTC
Just wanted to start by saying "Hi" to the community as a new player very much looking forward to their EVE future.

I seem to be getting off to a bit of a slow start trying to do a bit of reading then having a mess on the game then reading again to try and get it to sink in but just took the plunge last night and purchased my first months game time. It’s the first time I have got past the trial period as I first had a small mess with the game about 3 years ago but soon left it as it was way over my head, think my big mistake was not doing the research on what the full potential of the game was just taking it at face value and jumping out of the game. Don’t get me wrong I’m still a bit lost as it’s a bit daunting.

I don’t suppose it helps that I have no idea what direction I want to go. But to start I’m trying to work my way through all the training missions. And hopefully something will stick out at me as something that I want to pursue further.

Hopefully I will get my act together this week and start making some headway and look forward to seeing some of you in-game.. Smile
Papa Sotken
Nothing Comes To Mind
Snuffed Out
#2 - 2012-08-21 12:43:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Papa Sotken
Welcome to Eve.

I started recently myself, in a similiar situation to you.

My advice is head straight into whatever you wanna do. I read much material to try help me understand the game, fact is that there is no substitute for actually playing the game and putting yourself in scenarios to learn.

I enjoy pvp so i joined a FW pvp corp and haven't looked back since, i made a great choice IMO.

Apply for a good corp that focuses in the direction you wanna go.

Also, Welcome to Eve. Good luck. ;)

Zebra Corp

Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2012-08-21 12:45:37 UTC
pjgreg04 wrote:

I don’t suppose it helps that I have no idea what direction I want to go. But to start I’m trying to work my way through all the training missions. And hopefully something will stick out at me as something that I want to pursue further.

Best thing to do is finish Aura's tutorial, then go find the career agents so you can kind of get a feel for combat, exploration, mining, and industry ... then focus on whichever one you liked the best...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Arline Kley
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#4 - 2012-08-21 12:56:23 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
pjgreg04 wrote:

Best thing to do is finish Aura's tutorial, then go find the career agents so you can kind of get a feel for combat, exploration, mining, and industry ... then focus on whichever one you liked the best...

Having played here for 5 years (ish) I can definiately say finish the tutorial; Stay in the NPC Corps for a few months to get your feet, to learn the basics of EVE more thoroughly and as Velicitia stated: Focus on the aspect you enjoy, be it mining, ship building or mission running.

Once you have dedicated to your racial background's skill set then start broadening out into the other races. That way it will be easier to fit certain ships more easily, rather than a hodge-podge of skills that will hurt you more than they will help.

If you do have questions, fire me an in-game mail and I'll help where I can.

"For it was said they had become like those peculiar demons, which dwell in matter but in whom no light may be found." - Father Grigori, Ravens 3:57

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#5 - 2012-08-21 13:28:26 UTC
Welcome !

Don't be afraid to try new things and set mad goals.
WonkySplitDemon
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-08-21 13:57:22 UTC
Enjoy yourself, if you need any advice or help send me an in game message I'll be happy to answer any questions you have :)
pjgreg04
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-08-21 21:18:39 UTC
Thanks for all the positive messages everyone...

Velicitia wrote:
pjgreg04 wrote:

This is what I've been upto at the min finished mining and exploration just part way through the Business one as we speek.. Smile
Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-08-22 15:02:52 UTC
PJ.

First figure out the easiest and quickest way for you to make money. Eve is all about capitilism and therefore freedom to do what you want is synonymous with your ability to pay for it.

Getting your income sorted out before you join a player corp is an excellent Idea. People like to recruit a guy who can pay his own way.

Make sure that your goal is to join a player corp that is striving to achieve what you want in game. Eve is just a game, the people who play it friends and enemies is what will keep you logged in and interested.

Easy income. Trading> You will need Trading, Marketing, Procurement, Day trading, and two helpful ones are accounting, and margin trading. Make sure you check the volume of the item you want to trade, stay away from high margin low volume trades.

PI > Ill just come out and say it producing P2 takes a little more work setting up, but if you have a good network set up all you ever have to do is reset the extractor heads and haul to market for profit. Its kind of like playing farmville in space.

Datacores have been nerfed but still provide a trickle of income you really dont need to do anything for except have the science skill and the standing. Untill soundwave gives it the axe it is still there for now.

Also Faction Warfare seems to be a pretty big money maker these days, and that you will have to get into player corps to do, so you might be killing two birds with one stone.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.

rodney119
No trouble in the midst
B.E.A.R.S.
#9 - 2012-08-27 11:44:40 UTC
Pretty much just confirming what these guys here have been saying but here goes:

I've been playing since 2007 so have helped my fair share of "newbies".

My best advice is to enjoy the game. The tutorials I've heard are better than before but you only really start learning when you jump straight in the deep end. There are many rookie friendly corps out there to help players like yourself have that head start.

Either way, the choice is yours and you decide which direction you go in. Good luck and like someone else has already said, any questions, mail me or drop me a convo ingame.

Good luck.
terzslave
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-08-27 13:15:35 UTC
Train for a titan.
pjgreg04
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-08-27 14:40:36 UTC
Again thanks for all the pointers, Ive got to the end of all the agent/training missions. Its quite funny that a still not a clue what im doing but its still very addictive! Smile

Quote:
getting your income sorted out before you join a player corp is an excellent Idea. People like to recruit a guy who can pay his own way.

Definatly like the idea of getting my self setup and with a good income before I join a corp.

Quote:
Easy income. Trading> You will need Trading, Marketing, Procurement, Day trading, and two helpful ones are accounting, and margin trading. Make sure you check the volume of the item you want to trade, stay away from high margin low volume trades.

Started to have a look at these skills but I am not even close to having enought ISK to afford most of them at the min!

I think from what I have ready at the min id like to get into some pvp and like the extra stratagy of piloting the bigger slower craft. But I also would like to get into a bit of trading/industry.

So would my best bet be to start making ISK getting into the trade and industry side of things before I start getting into more of the pvp side of things?

Quote:
PI > Ill just come out and say it producing P2 takes a little more work setting up, but if you have a good network set up all you ever have to do is reset the extractor heads and haul to market for profit. Its kind of like playing farmville in space.

Sorry Lyric but this means nothing to me.. Oops I better get some reading done sounds complicated. Smile
Velicitia
XS Tech
#12 - 2012-08-27 16:31:54 UTC
pjgreg04 wrote:

Definatly like the idea of getting my self setup and with a good income before I join a corp.

A good plan. Not entirely necessary, since you may find that a corp will change your perspective on what you would like to do.

However, have a few plans for making money (Missions, trading, etc) ... as there will be times where you can't make the money in your "preferred way" (wardec, tired of missioning, slow markets, whatever).

pjgreg04 wrote:

So would my best bet be to start making ISK getting into the trade and industry side of things before I start getting into more of the pvp side of things?

Getting into PvP is pretty easy --> fit up a frigate and look for a fight Twisted

Yes, best bet is have an income stream (even if it's just L1/2 missions) to help feed your PvP needs.

pjgreg04 wrote:
Quote:

Sorry Lyric but this means nothing to me.. Oops I better get some reading done sounds complicated. Smile

It's really not. It just takes some effort.

At a very basic level, it works like this
Extractors --> these make P0 (e.g. Ionic Solutions and Aqueous Liquids)
P0 gets reacted into P1 in a basic factory --> e.g. Ionic Solutions makes Electrolytes, and Aqueous Liquids make water
P1(a) + P1(b) get reacted to make P2 in an advanced factory --> e.g. Electrolytes + Water make Coolant

Now, not all planets have the necessary components to make what you're looking for, or maybe not in decent enough quantities to warrant extracting the P0 from the same planet. So in that case, you're setting up two planets, and hauling the P1 material from one planet to another planet to make the P2 that you want to sell.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Toaulk Rokbyter
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-08-27 16:38:56 UTC
Sorry Lyric but this means nothing to me.. Oops I better get some reading done sounds complicated. Smile[/quote]

He was talking about Planetary Interaction. It is basically a way to extract materials from a planet while you are out doing other things. It is a great way to make "passive income" and help fund hobbies.

I have to disagree with only one thing said in here so far, and thats stay in NPC until you figure out how to make a living. There are several training corps out there (Eve University comes to mind) that teach these things so you don't have to do it alone. This game just isn't a lot of fun if you don't have good people to fly with.

There are also several corporations that accept new members for training purposes. NOIR has a "Graduate to our main corp" program, and I myself run one. These programs are designed to get new players, as well as players just new to your "side of the game" acquainted with how things work without risk to the "main body corp". These corps usually have higher recruitment requirements than places like Eve University, but they are also a good way to get a little more "hard core" exposure to certain aspects of the game.

Both options are very viable. Pilots who fly alone (unless of course you love solitude) typically leave the game first. Find friends, have fun, and money will follow.

Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#14 - 2012-08-27 16:57:29 UTC
Don't fly what you can't afford to lose...twice.

Knowledge is power. The more widely known something is, the less likely anyone who does it is likely to benefit from it. Finding yourself a niche is key to being successful solo. Alternatively, you could join a corp who has already found and carved out their niche.

You can do anything, but you can't do everything. When you find what you like, specialize and do that one thing really well. There will be time enough to branch out to other fields after you find what you like.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

pjgreg04
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-08-29 12:52:36 UTC
Thanks for the info on " Planetary Interaction" things are much clearer now! Sort of.. :)

Quote:

There are also several corporations that accept new members for training purposes. NOIR has a "Graduate to our main corp" program, and I myself run one. These programs are designed to get new players, as well as players just new to your "side of the game" acquainted with how things work without risk to the "main body corp". These corps usually have higher recruitment requirements than places like Eve University, but they are also a good way to get a little more "hard core" exposure to certain aspects of the game.

I’ve spent the last could of days looking at different corporations I didn’t realise there where that many... Anyone got and ideas of a good corp for me to apply to. Ideally I would like to join something based in the UK that covers a wide variety of areas industry, trading, pvp etc. Ive only got about 500,000 SP at the min. And would like to be in a corp with people that wouldn't mind helping me out as a new player try to get to grips with all things EVE.
Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-08-29 13:05:24 UTC
Eve University is like a liberal arts school you can join them and learn how to do virtually anything and everything. You can go in depth into one topic or skim the surface of all topics your choice.

Then I'd say if you want to start learning to pvp at the most basic level, you could try Red Vs Blue, who are all about having low cost easy entry pvp on demand. Also with them you can still do pve stuff if you want to and you wont get podded.

After that if you want to get into more advanced pvp, you might want to consider applying to either agony unleashed or perhaps our school Noir. Academy. Most of our pvp training takes place out in null sec so there will be risk on the job and you will learn by doing.

It sounds like Talocan United might have some entry level corps if your considering to be a Wormholer. Worm holes can provide an incredibly EVE'y experience because there relatively dangerous, theres huge profit to be made in worm holes, and it involves lots of scanning and exploration.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.