These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Docking ships into motherships!!!!

Author
Big Trey
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-08-27 01:09:51 UTC
Me and a few corpies were dicusing this in our corp chat earlier and i thought it was a good idea to post to this thread. We think it would be a kool feature to be able to dock a small-medium size fleet into a mothership whose name alone kinda warrants this feature. It would be a really kool thing to cyno in a mother ship then have a medium size fleet undock from it and go to town.

As you can see we just have the basic idea here feel free to continue the discusion.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2012-08-27 01:34:39 UTC
It's not possible, from a technical standpoint, to dock inside another ship. It has to do with a character owning a ship and its contents (which causes issues when 'contents' includes other players).

It won't happen any time soon. CCP has openly stated they have no intentions of changing this any time soon, if ever.
Emperor Salazar
Remote Soviet Industries
Insidious Empire
#3 - 2012-08-27 16:16:50 UTC
kool
Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-08-27 19:17:47 UTC
ALso, they are not motherships anymore, they are super carriers.
Mishtkrah
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-08-27 20:01:45 UTC
Would be nice to see. But I would imagine a huge amount of work. Probably the kind of work that goes into the majority of a full expansion.

+1 for real mother ships.
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#6 - 2012-08-27 20:06:09 UTC
Technical issues can be resoloved with effort.

Note: The new starbases may have jump drives. This brings us one step closer to docking in ships.
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-08-27 23:42:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
This may happen to POS soon .... take a look down here \/

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1791791
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#8 - 2012-08-28 04:34:27 UTC
Obsidiana wrote:
Technical issues can be resoloved with effort.

Note: The new starbases may have jump drives. This brings us one step closer to docking in ships.

They have flat out said that they won't touch that code because it's an insane amount of work wading through the spaghetti code with an enormous (effectively guaranteed) risk of screwing up seemingly unrelated gameplay for little to no benefit. There's a reason they refuse to touch that code without an extremely good reason (hint: 'wouldn't it be cool' isn't a good reason, much less an extremely good one).
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#9 - 2012-08-28 10:45:30 UTC
mxzf wrote:
It's not possible, from a technical standpoint, to dock inside another ship. It has to do with a character owning a ship and its contents (which causes issues when 'contents' includes other players).

It won't happen any time soon. CCP has openly stated they have no intentions of changing this any time soon, if ever.

+1 for slavery.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Kitt JT
True North.
#10 - 2012-08-28 13:08:36 UTC
Actually, this is originally what CCP intended to do with "motherships"

The problem was that they couldn't get around the code, and actually make the transition gracefully.
Katalci
Kismesis
#11 - 2012-08-29 01:58:57 UTC
mxzf wrote:
It has to do with a character owning a ship and its contents (which causes issues when 'contents' includes other players).

I like this. Slavery should be implemented immediately.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#12 - 2012-08-29 03:56:41 UTC
Katalci wrote:
mxzf wrote:
It has to do with a character owning a ship and its contents (which causes issues when 'contents' includes other players).

I like this. Slavery should be implemented immediately.

I've heard stories of someone getting their clone stuck INSIDE a module in their hanger somehow (took a senior GM and a lot of digging to figure that one out). The game does screwy things when it's not sure who owns what anymore.