These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Salvage Drones

First post
Author
Jewdus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-10-13 23:37:23 UTC
Dear CCP.
We have drones out the wazzo for everything from busting rocks to tackling but no salvage drones i know this is a combat driven game but how about some love for us guys in the back lines cleaning up the mess.

Help us keep Space Clean

Not Bitchin just wanting

" I am many things  most of them cant be said in polite company but what i am not  is a coward my friend so I will take the fat chick"

Vult
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-10-13 23:38:35 UTC
I approve this product and/or service.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2011-10-13 23:42:04 UTC
at least it'd make supercarriers useful oh wait

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

The Apostle
Doomheim
#4 - 2011-10-13 23:43:24 UTC
It'd have to be "aggressive" salvaging no?

Otherwise, the time it takes to click, send and retrieve salvage drones would probably be much slower and more work intensive than just using a skilled Noctis pilot.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Jewdus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-10-13 23:48:05 UTC
The Apostle wrote:
It'd have to be "aggressive" salvaging no?

Otherwise, the time it takes to click, send and retrieve salvage drones would probably be much slower and more work intensive than just using a skilled Noctis pilot.

it speed up the clean up process even with a noctis sure aggressive then the noctis can go tractor happy and let drones do the salvaging, or if your in a mining op to clean up rats be great in incursion were you dont want to take a noctis

" I am many things  most of them cant be said in polite company but what i am not  is a coward my friend so I will take the fat chick"

Darth Skorpius
352 Industries
#6 - 2011-10-13 23:56:59 UTC
if you go into a program like evehq and go to the item broswer, then make sure "include non-published items" is selected, then go to skills, drone skills, you will see there is a skill for salvage drone operation. i think this also works with evemon, but havent used evemon for a couple of years, so that might have changed.

my point is, they planned to introduce salvage drones at some point, but then changed thier mind
Lithalnas
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Sedition.
#7 - 2011-10-13 23:59:22 UTC
they actually had the salvage drone skill in the game at one time. This was removed some time ago and the skill points reimbursed.

https://www.facebook.com/RipSeanVileRatSmith shoot at blue for Vile Rat http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73406

BLACK-STAR
#8 - 2011-10-14 00:00:16 UTC
Darth Skorpius wrote:

my point is, they planned to introduce salvage drones at some point, but then changed thier mind
this is how incredibly slow ccp is.

+1 for salvage drones or even ones that would tow the wrecks to you
Phantom Slave
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2011-10-14 00:06:36 UTC
They aren't in the game because of the way items are handled by the database. Ccp talked about them in one of the '08 or '09 Fanfest videos. The problem was that if your inventory was full when the drones brought you the items then the drone inventory would flush and the item would be lost. As far as I know Ccp couldn't find a way around the limitation with the old code. Now that everything is corified the issue may not be there anymore. Perhaps a Dev response could shed some light on the situation.

Mmm, I love the smell of pod goo in the morning.

Breaker77
Reclamation Industries
#10 - 2011-10-14 00:07:45 UTC
Darth Skorpius wrote:
if you go into a program like evehq and go to the item broswer, then make sure "include non-published items" is selected, then go to skills, drone skills, you will see there is a skill for salvage drone operation. i think this also works with evemon, but havent used evemon for a couple of years, so that might have changed.

I would suggest you look on contracts and you can own your very own copy of salvage drone op for around a billion ISK or so. You can even train it all the way to level 5 and that will allow you to prove to everyone you are such a badass for being able to train an unused skill that is only available in a very limited quantity.

The same with mobile refinery op, and a few other skills.

Those who are not quite as badass as the above mentioned people, just have large numbers of mines collecting dust in their hangars.

Darth Skorpius
352 Industries
#11 - 2011-10-14 00:10:26 UTC
Phantom Slave wrote:
They aren't in the game because of the way items are handled by the database. Ccp talked about them in one of the '08 or '09 Fanfest videos. The problem was that if your inventory was full when the drones brought you the items then the drone inventory would flush and the item would be lost. As far as I know Ccp couldn't find a way around the limitation with the old code. Now that everything is corified the issue may not be there anymore. Perhaps a Dev response could shed some light on the situation.

im not buying that reasoning, simply because we have mining drones, which from what i remember from the last time i used them (3+ years ago) if your cargohold was empty then you lost the ore they mined. im pretty sure mining lasers and salvaging modules work in a similar way
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#12 - 2011-10-14 00:16:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Trust me making an entinty that existed a moment before suddenly dissapearing without having an action that really deletes it in an odd way throws one hell of a hissy fit and screws all the tables up to the point of degration.

Mining ores dont really exist until they appear in the cargo bay.

salvage does however.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Jewdus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2011-10-14 00:31:03 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
Trust me making an -entity- that existed a moment before suddenly dissapearing without having an action that really deletes it in an odd way throws one hell of a hissy fit and screws all the tables up to the point of degration.

Mining ores dont really exist until they appear in the cargo bay.

salvage does however.

what that makes no logical since salvage is the same as ore i think your thinking about loot, salvage pops in to your hold same way is ore and shots out a can with the loot in it

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#14 - 2011-10-14 00:31:41 UTC

(Yes!!! I can't fit everything on my ship but with logistics drones.... yeah.... a Swiss Army Knife of a ship. I got ECM drones, Webber drones, disruptor drones, painters, repair.... bwa ha ha ha!!! Some damned fooll at CCP put a lot of drone space in that garbage can Minmatar ship that nobody wants because it's so ugly. Har har. Fools! All of them!!!1!!! Salvage drones? Now I can complete by all-purpoise ship!!!1! Uh.... quick... gotta hide my agenda......)

We are seriously at a disadvantage without some kind of salvage drone. Seriously, the game is so unbalanced without some kind of salvage drone. In fact little Timmy is going to be dead by next year if we don't have salvage drones and I might have to shoot a puppy too.

We need salvage drones bad or Eve will die.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Jewdus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-10-14 00:41:31 UTC
YES IF WE DONT GET THEM ILL KILL A KITTEN EVER DAY!

once again i said not bitching just wanting and they would in fact be useful

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#16 - 2011-10-14 00:51:25 UTC
Jewdus wrote:
YES IF WE DONT GET THEM ILL KILL A KITTEN EVER DAY!

once again i said not bitching just wanting and they would in fact be useful

I am not against the idea, I am just making a parody of how ideas are handled. There's always a hidden agenda behind every post.

Right now I fly mainly an exploration battle cruiser that suffers enough from the gimping of having the probe launcher, the hacking and arch mods, and if the probe launcher is an expanded type, that's TWO CPU module upgrades.

Add to that the salvaging module in the high slot. There's a drone control extender and a cloak in highs as well.

All that's left are 4 weapons positions.

So if I had a salvage drone, I could get rid of the salvage module and get back a weapons slot.

Others would call be daft for having such a ship, but that's my hidden agenda!!! Bwa ha ha ha! I will destroy you all!!!!... sorry sorry. Lost control there.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

mkint
#17 - 2011-10-14 00:55:51 UTC  |  Edited by: mkint
bad idea is still bad

Salvage drones would make the noctis obsolete. They would even go a long way to make missioning obsolete. Salvage drones might be okay if:
-velocity and cycle times comparable to a T1 mining drone, and the 'access difficulty bonus' of a T1 salvager but does not gain any bonuses from any skills modules rigs or implants whatsoever.
-it is a T2 drone with a target cost of about 1 mil each. Perhaps make it a "composite" drone, requiring a T2 mining drone, a T2 salvager and T2 salvage rigs to build.
-it requires the skills that it's composite parts require, plus advanced drone interfacing 5.
-they can be shot down freely without otherwise needing aggro rights.

If you're gonna make a suck-ass new drone, make it suck ass appropriately.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Aargolos
Estrale Frontiers
#18 - 2011-10-14 01:05:34 UTC
I remember seeing this on the eve wiki when I first started playing, then looking at the market/contracts for them.

Seems it has since been removed.

As a high-sec "carebear", I don't see any need for them considering the Noctis. Forget salvage, just run another mission.
Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#19 - 2011-10-14 01:19:27 UTC
Aargolos wrote:
I remember seeing this on the eve wiki when I first started playing, then looking at the market/contracts for them.

Seems it has since been removed.

As a high-sec "carebear", I don't see any need for them considering the Noctis. Forget salvage, just run another mission.

I think people are thinking of carrying them on their battleships so that they can salvage while they kill rats.

Its called Marauders, you know..

But anyway i agree, wanna see some salvage drones and maybe some tug drones as well (tractor drones)

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Jewdus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2011-10-14 01:38:08 UTC
mkint wrote:
bad idea is still bad

Salvage drones would make the noctis obsolete. They would even go a long way to make missioning obsolete. Salvage drones might be okay if:
-velocity and cycle times comparable to a T1 mining drone, and the 'access difficulty bonus' of a T1 salvager but does not gain any bonuses from any skills modules rigs or implants whatsoever.
-it is a T2 drone with a target cost of about 1 mil each. Perhaps make it a "composite" drone, requiring a T2 mining drone, a T2 salvager and T2 salvage rigs to build.
-it requires the skills that it's composite parts require, plus advanced drone interfacing 5.
-they can be shot down freely without otherwise needing aggro rights.

If you're gonna make a suck-ass new drone, make it suck ass appropriately.

no need for a t2 version i am talking turn a t1 miner in to a salvager thats it no super savagers of DOOM

12Next page