These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A possible solution to AFK cloaky alts

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#461 - 2011-10-13 22:41:58 UTC
Endeavour Starfleet wrote:

Read a few pages back about the AFK cloaker in WH sites. AFK cloaking is not just a nullsec issue so the remove local stuff is off topic.

This topic needs to focus on the various ideas published that can reasonably deal with the issue of the risk free incentive to walk away from the keyboard while not swinging a heavy nerfbat that would cause active cloakers to randomly decloak or manage a fuel bay in hostile territory.

Nerf local. You no longer have a box with a random neut or red sitting there scaring you into a station/pos, covert ops get to be covert and the 0.0 bots stop working. 3 things fixed with one stone.

Skunk Gracklaw
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#462 - 2011-10-13 22:44:21 UTC
The Apostle wrote:
Yes Skunk. We know

Apparently you don't because you're still trolling the thread over it.
Endeavour Starfleet
#463 - 2011-10-13 23:06:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Endeavour Starfleet
baltec1 wrote:

Read a few pages back about the AFK cloaker in WH sites. AFK cloaking is not just a nullsec issue so the remove local stuff is off topic.

This topic needs to focus on the various ideas published that can reasonably deal with the issue of the risk free incentive to walk away from the keyboard while not swinging a heavy nerfbat that would cause active cloakers to randomly decloak or manage a fuel bay in hostile territory.

Nerf local. You no longer have a box with a random neut or red sitting there scaring you into a station/pos, covert ops get to be covert and the 0.0 bots stop working. 3 things fixed with one stone.

No you will just suddenly find the enemy uncloaking in perfect range of you for a free gank or hotdrop with no warning.

Still claim removing local will fix AFK cloaking?

Lets focus on serious solutions please and not off topic stuff about nullsec.
KrakizBad
Section 8.
#464 - 2011-10-13 23:09:06 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

No you will just suddenly find the enemy uncloaking in perfect range of you for a free gank or hotdrop with no warning.

That's active piloting, not AFK cloaking, obviously. Can you link a killmail where someone AFK ganked someone? I'm eager to see it.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#465 - 2011-10-13 23:14:35 UTC

My god, a steath bomber managing to be stealthy that cant be how its ment to work!

Also please, show me how you are detecting these afk players if local has nothing to do with this subject.
Endeavour Starfleet
#466 - 2011-10-13 23:15:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Endeavour Starfleet
Yes that person easily becomes active after afk cloaking with obviously no warning. Because without local you cant tell if someone has logged off left or whatever.

So the idea is to not remove or delay local but to add risk to those who are walking away or otherwise not paying attention to the client.

In retrospect I think I ought to have made a pictorial post explaining my probe idea. If it was in images it might be easier to understand that I do not want to seriously impact active cloaking. I think I will have to log into Sisi and fire up the GIMP and do that.
KrakizBad
Section 8.
#467 - 2011-10-13 23:23:52 UTC
Adequately defend your space and a cloaked ship has plenty of risk. If you're so lazy you don't have gatecamps 23/7 into your ratting systems, why should the cloaker be penalized?
The Apostle
Doomheim
#468 - 2011-10-13 23:30:15 UTC
KrakizBad wrote:
Adequately defend your space and a cloaked ship has plenty of risk. If you're so lazy you don't have gatecamps 23/7 into your ratting systems, why should the cloaker be penalized?

Link the kills where you've managed to stop a recon getting into PXF and I'll believe everything you say henceforth.

AFK cloakies are there for area denial as much as you're here promoting reality denial.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#469 - 2011-10-13 23:30:25 UTC
Yes that person easily becomes active after afk cloaking with obviously no warning. Because without local you cant tell if someone has logged off left or whatever.

So the idea is to not remove or delay local but to add risk to those who are walking away or otherwise not paying attention to the client.

In retrospect I think I ought to have made a pictorial post explaining my probe idea. If it was in images it might be easier to understand that I do not want to seriously impact active cloaking. I think I will have to log into Sisi and fire up the GIMP and do that.

The other week I spent 3 hours scouting a POS in my cov ops holding a position for a warp in. Your idea makes this impossible.

As for risk, how about the risk free ratting that the foolpoof intel tool that is local provides making it just about impossible to catch people unawares?
The Apostle
Doomheim
#470 - 2011-10-13 23:36:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

The other week I spent 3 hours scouting a POS in my cov ops holding a position for a warp in. Your idea makes this impossible.

As for risk, how about the risk free ratting that the foolpoof intel tool that is local provides making it just about impossible to catch people unawares?

baltec1 - you are repeatedly quoting what you ARE doing while cloaked. The idea being presented can ONLY affect those NOT at keyboard.

At the absolute most, the idea of probing you out while you're active would be the tiniest of inconveniences.

The AFK cloaky however will be in serious trouble if he's a asleep in bed. THAT's the proposal.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#471 - 2011-10-13 23:44:18 UTC
I'm yet to see someone point out how he can be cloaked, sitted at his PC, and be completely gutted by a T2 probe (remember skill requirements) that can, at best, put someone 10km away from him.

Oh how can we think of something so godly unbalanced!

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#472 - 2011-10-13 23:53:16 UTC
Renan Ruivo wrote:
I'm yet to see someone point out how he can be cloaked, sitted at his PC, and be completely gutted by a T2 probe (remember skill requirements) that can, at best, put someone 10km away from him.

You mean have 10 ships warp in, dump 40 drones to uncloak and have him locked down in 10 seconds. I can see where that might be a little unnerving.

Mr Epeen Cool
Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#473 - 2011-10-13 23:56:02 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:

You mean have 10 ships warp in, dump 40 drones to uncloak and have him locked down in 10 seconds. I can see where that might be a little unnerving.

Mr Epeen Cool

So move the second you see people warping in. Its meant to be troublesome for the hunter so if 10km is too low, make it 15 or 20.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#474 - 2011-10-13 23:56:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Renan Ruivo
damned ccp being ganked all the time.

Rhinanna
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#475 - 2011-10-14 00:17:38 UTC
Quote:
They cant do anything or hurt anyone while cloaked.

You can't hurt anything while docked either, but are you going to sit 50km off a station you know has a red arty fleet ready to undock inside?

Deny them the ability to uncloak on demand then its a different story.

On this basis, you would be fine with me having a module, that allowed me, from any point in the universe to teleport to 2km behind your ship? After all I can't do anything while teleporting just as you can't do anything while cloaking....... Oh and to see what is around you as well before jumping... No you wouldn't, its not what cloaking does that matters, its what cloaking ALLOWS you to do.

I don't want to see cloaking removed, I just don't want it to be the perfect, inpenetrable defence it is now because its bad for the game and bad for pvp. Lets add the hide and seek element! It should be damm hard/near impossible to find anyone cloaked, but it should be (feasibly) possible. Nothing should be perfect and without a counter like cloaking is.

Quote:
Well hey, at least now I know who you are!

You should have left this part out, because what Nmeh did only works against bots.

If you can read, you know who I am. This is my main. I don't need to hide behind a alt thanks.
Oh and nMeh never got me while ratting as far as I remember, I just ignored him as his vaga couldn't do **** to my Mael and I knew he didn't fit cynos from intel and the fact we did know you didn't have a cap fleet in jump range at that point ;) Not sure if he got my vaga when I tried to chase him down once, I can't remember to be honest.

Also how does not appearing in local only work on ratters? He didn't appear on local for players either till a long while after he entered system.

Remember PL posted a video showing it been done and working on players, I think he only caught a few of our miners that way however... damm miners ;) I kept telling them to fit warp stabs, but do they, noo......

Quote:
The life of a ratting bot is the true 100% safe trade closely followed by a none bot ratter who is safe so long as they are paying attention to local.

So basically you are saying never rat in a system with a red in local and to ignore reds cloakies in local because you can't prove they aren't AFK. Contradiction much?

And I'll tell you what cloakers can do, its called 'de-cloaking' and allow you to do whatever you normally do.... You may not be able to do anything WHILE cloaked, but been cloaked allows you to get into the right place to do very very nasty things....

Its kinda the point that ISK making, specifically low value (60mil/hour) ISK making has to be fairly safe. If its not, why do it. Remeber not all alliances have that many systems they CAN rat in, so a few cloakies can stop a large chunk of their member's income with no real defence. This is a real screw over for the minor alliances that are trying to establish themselves in 0.0 and I was under the impression CCP are trying to encourage more people to move out to 0.0

Not having a reasonable income source is really not going to help this!!!!

-The sword is only as sharp as the one who wields it! Other names: Drenzul (WoT, WoW, Lineage 2, WarH, BloodBowl, BSG, SC2 and lots more) 

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#476 - 2011-10-14 00:20:27 UTC
Renan Ruivo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

So move the second you see people warping in. Its meant to be troublesome for the hunter so if 10km is too low, make it 15 or 20.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea.

I was just giving an example of how it would be used for real as opposed to a forum mind puzzle. These things need to be looked at from all sides to achieve the right balance.

I actually sympathize with CCP in this respect. There are a lot of variables that don't get thought about until it's too late and then there is a whole new set of problems.

So probe at a distance to make Mr AFK sit up and take notice but also make it hard for him to be uncloaked might be the way to go. Then again I imagine it's possible to write up a script to auto warp if something shows up on grid.

Or not. I don't really have a clue. I only write scripts for mods in Bethesda games and have never tried any for EVE so I could be completely wrong :P

Mr Epeen Cool
Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#477 - 2011-10-14 00:24:42 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

I'm not saying it's a bad idea.

I was just giving an example of how it would be used for real as opposed to a forum mind puzzle. These things need to be looked at from all sides to achieve the right balance.

I actually sympathize with CCP in this respect. There are a lot of variables that don't get thought about until it's too late and then there is a whole new set of problems.

So probe at a distance to make Mr AFK sit up and take notice but also make it hard for him to be uncloaked might be the way to go. Then again I imagine it's possible to write up a script to auto warp if something shows up on grid.

Or not. I don't really have a clue. I only write scripts for mods in Bethesda games and have never tried any for EVE so I could be completely wrong :P

Mr Epeen Cool

Its possible..
Ah.. but now he would be breaching the EULA =)

Rhinanna
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#478 - 2011-10-14 00:29:32 UTC
At the same time, you could argue that if the cloaker isn't watching D-scan then he kinda deserves to die. The probe would be fairly blatant. It would basically be a sign post that "Hi, I trying to hunt you"

Only thing I don't like about it is the fact it gives away far too much of the cloakie's location. I think I'd prefer something that uncloaked them for a limited period, on a random timer till activation to stop it been used against gate runners, then if you try to probe them down he has a chance to warp away before you see where he was at all with the probes.

I liked my 'bomb the sun, create a solar flare' idea ;) Random, costs per decloak and takes a lot of the firepower of a BS/BC to use, but gives you a small window to hunter the cloaky down in.

-The sword is only as sharp as the one who wields it! Other names: Drenzul (WoT, WoW, Lineage 2, WarH, BloodBowl, BSG, SC2 and lots more) 

Endeavour Starfleet
#479 - 2011-10-14 01:03:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Endeavour Starfleet
I just really worry about these ideas of either random decloak or direct placement or other things that don't give almost insane free warning to the active cloaker.

I was thinking about the direct placement probes but here is the issue. If you make it too close all you have to do is warp a drake and lob a bomb at it and that's that for the cloaker active or not. Too far and you have to completely spam the area to decloak him which encourages more can abuse.

I REALLY need to just make this pictorial post because once you see my idea I think you can understand how it is only of tiny tiny tiny inconvenience for the active cloaker and risky for the inactive cloaker without things that give a free kill for the defenders. Only the ones who are not active in the client should be in any serious risk.

And when I mean free warning I mean so blatant only and AFK person would ignore it. Such as the black window saying "WARNING: Cloak has been compromised Cloak will fail in 30 seconds!" And with my idea it goes even further warning the active cloaker someone is probing the random point "Warning! Cloak is being compromised change position" Meaning warp away and back to reset the random point. Only the AFK part needs to be targeted.

Edit: In my opinion regardless of probe idea there MUST be a random scan down point. Otherwise people who are ratting or mining will just a 0.25 Probe umbrella over their fleet and the Active cloaker will have to warp almost every minute. That dosent sound fair to the active cloaker in my opinion.
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#480 - 2011-10-14 01:15:53 UTC
market traders have no risk of ship loss while plying their trade
corp scammers have no risk of being podded while cleaning out a corp hangar
someone sitting on the undock who does not agress is in space and in absolutely no danger unless he's a complete bufoon

the argument that nobody should be 100% safe is complete crap, because there many ways to play eve while remaining 100% safe from ship loss or loss of income no matter if its by game mechanic or your own design.

bottom line is covops os COVERT OPS
covert means hidden more or less
cloak is hiding.

people cloaked can do no more then watch, and in come cases move about.

hotdropping is part of eve, covops cynos and regular cynos assist in this.
supprise attacks are a valid tactic
someone afk can do nothing to harm you, they must be ATK, what do you people want?
what if someone parks something you could never kill out in the open and reads a book for a few hours, would you come wine that eve needs a "kick for idle" timer?

ITS THE SAME THING!

nobody is going to change the game mechanics because you don't know that the other guy is thinking or doing