These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Unlimited TRIAL PERIOD

Author
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#41 - 2012-08-26 00:52:17 UTC
Ghost of Truth wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
I'll tell you what I think in a nutshell.

If you haven't figured out in two weeks whether or not this game is for you then it isn't.

Mr Epeen Cool

Really?What makes you think so?have you seen nullsec PVP?Incursions?FW?Remember, not just one type of game play but as much as possible. Especially without someone holding your hand.

I agree with Mr Epeen. Your argument about seeing as many facets of the game is not as valid as you believe it is, there's only so much you can take in, even in a month. I only had a 14 day trial and nobody to pick me up as soon as I landed in the game. I was subbed up within the first 7 days. Within those 7 days I'd already managed to hook up with another newbie that just happened to be in the same boat as me and we spent that week flying about and learning for ourselves.

New players already have a lot to take in, trying to get them to experience everything in the game in their first few months is a little overkill. I really don't think that will keep more players any more than the current system does.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Gilgamesh19 Utama
Utama Financial Services
#42 - 2012-08-26 00:57:20 UTC
Give the new player the option of the 14 21 30 or 60 day trial. However the longer you play for free the more restrictions on skills you can train.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#43 - 2012-08-26 01:07:51 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
Ghost of Truth wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
They had, around the end of 2011, 60 day special trials.

I joined on one of those actually, as did many newbies in GSF since people were giving codes to newbies who were being enticed to play. Joke was on us though, branch war turned into a lot of shooting structures in a blackbird with Boat.

So CCP does give more days and the game didn't crash...why not permanent?

Same reason there's the buddy program instead of giving everyone a 21d trial.
The people who received 60d trials had a social hook into the game (the player that invited them), and thus were much more likely to convert into paid subs.
(By the way, this is why GW and Dreddit have such high retention on newbies; they're not alone when they start.)

In fact, the best way to get people to join is to have your friend join via buddy program, then give them a PLEX and have them upgrade immediately. They get a 51d "Trial" that's entirely unrestricted and it costs you nothing.

Those 60day trials were supposed to be, I can't remember "experimental" or something, according to the dev blog. They said it was a success, too, but who knows what happened afterward, maybe they got caught up in the whole CSM thing.

Retaining newbies is what keeps the blob growing, heh heh. That and making / keeping friends.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2012-08-26 01:18:52 UTC
I tried to get a trial but I ended up somehow buying a full account so I never got a trial. No Habeas corpus in Iceland for a server located in the UK then? Bear

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Adeleda Adoudel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-08-26 01:54:21 UTC
My trial wasnt 20 days. It was 3 days. After that i was hooked and willing to pay. Some will, some wont. Unlimited trials wont change that to my knowledge.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#46 - 2012-08-26 02:03:04 UTC
Ghost of Truth wrote:
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:
Infinite trial mode or in reality free to play would be great for CCP. This would be a perfect plex sink for CCP. let those players in cruisers farm farm farm as long as they want to get enough isk to buy that plex and start training more skills. Or let those sub cap players kill other players and generate content.
If you run out of game time, your skills are locked into what you could only learn in trial.
Eve becomes more obviously play to win.

In trial mode, SP wont passively grow after... say 5m SP

However, THAT s not what I am saying.After you added a PLEX you go to premium account.End of trial.

Yet then they can just skill out to cruiser and never touch plex. Some never skill beyond frigs. free red vs blue accounts. You either go back and forth or it needs to stay temporary.
The Riddik
Dark Club
#47 - 2012-08-26 02:18:45 UTC
plain and simple:

stupid idea

why do you peons always want to dumb the game down, make it cheaper to play,make everything easier?

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#48 - 2012-08-26 02:22:11 UTC
The Riddik wrote:
plain and simple:
stupid idea
why do you peons always want to dumb the game down, make it cheaper to play,make everything easier?

It may be a dumb idea. Yet I'm not sure sure many people understand what "dumb the game down" actually means.
Evil Cleaner
Clean Evil Incorporated
#49 - 2012-08-26 02:28:02 UTC
It wont happen. Too many people would have a free account just to have someone haul away the ore. There will be less can flipping (joking). There are too many ways for people to take advantage of that system. Then again they do restrict what skills a trial account can train. Thats almost like the lv 20 cap on the free wow accounts. You can play enough to learn the system, meet some people that you like and are willing to spend time with and after you hit lv 20 you have to consider paying or being stuck at a lower lv.

But like I said Too many ways for abuse to happen. Thus turning EVE into a single player game. Don't get me wrong I would like there to be an extended trial period to help new players settle down more easy. It just seems like there will be some abuse with it. Thats all.

Evil Is in my name, So what did you expect?

Ma'kal
No Kills Here
#50 - 2012-08-26 04:22:24 UTC
To the OP:

If you want to go play a free to play game. Go and play a free to play game. If you want to play Eve; pony up the money, or grind ISK and buy a PLEX.

TLDR: HTFU
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#51 - 2012-08-26 04:29:55 UTC
This suggestion is basically equivalent to F2P. Despite the fact that I make my living creating F2P video games, I think the model is somewhat overhyped. I'm not a fan of F2P in the context of Eve.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#52 - 2012-08-26 05:49:35 UTC
To my knowledge most people who use the trial program have decided whether or not to subscribe before the 14 or 21 day mark. I believe CCP should be focusing more on teaching and helping newer players during their trials instead of just extending them. If I am wrong then I believe the trial period should be changed to 30 days and change the Buddy Program to give the subscribing player a bonus for using the Buddy Program eg. a Cerebral Accelerator.
Robyn Green
Genesis Corp
#53 - 2012-08-26 06:58:57 UTC
When I started playing on my first account, I didn't really know what Int, Mem, Cha, Per, and Will were for, and rolled a pretty bleh attribute set. As I learned more about the game I came to understand.

Thank goodness not long after I started, CCP thought up and implimented Neural Remaps! Big smile
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#54 - 2012-08-26 07:34:02 UTC
Because we don't need spambots that can run forever...

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#55 - 2012-08-26 09:19:38 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Because we don't need spambots that can run forever...

For a second I thought this was actually the end all be all good reason not to. Yet that can easily be countered. Trials are restricted to new player chat which is the only one already spammed anyway, and incoming only private chats. And they already cant anchor or rename cans.
Tekniq
Bionic Systems
#56 - 2012-08-26 09:40:17 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
My trial lasted 7 days, came with next to no turtorial, 5000 isk, attribute point seemingly only in charisma and far less skillpoints.

Suck it up wimp.

yeah ;)
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#57 - 2012-08-26 12:02:17 UTC
Ghost of Truth wrote:
Discuss and feedback would be awesome.

I think unlimited trial would be too attractive for far too many freeloaders, and would also be abused for alts.

Keep in mind, skill lock only happens until the player has paid once, then he can learn all skillz. It works because once you pay, you have to start paying. The dynamic would be changed if you can stop paying but continue skill training.

I do think a routine 60 day trial would be good, though. Unlimited number of trial accounts, no invites required. Give people a really good chance to try out EVE, even being able to learn all skillz in the game. But free2play? I think that's a really bad idea.
Gabrielle Lamb
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2012-08-26 12:08:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Gabrielle Lamb
Cede Forster wrote:
it might not be obvious at first glance, but people are cheap and will play even a very restricted game as trial account, as long it is free (see the F2P increasing player numbers)

separating the society then in a very big part of "free accounts" and a relative small number of "premium account", which would mean that massive increase of new players and players who made alts who do not pay

you use the "free accounts" to do the crap work and high risk work. scouting, botting, collecting sp for selling it ect

i'd be ugly, very similar to what you experience when a game goes F2P

you think people in eve have a bad attitude, you have no idea what happens if it gets free to play,

"Greater internet ******* Theory" ^ 10

case it happens, i link back to this post, mkay? Blink

This, free alts would make me rethink my dual account setup for sure. I'd have to think about whether a covops-probing alt beats a frigate with cloak scouting probing alt and we'd probably look at many players grabbing an army of support for everything they do. For instance you can train a Drake or a Cane in two weeks, if you could do that with sub-optimal performance on a free account soon we'd e looking at people training 5-10 Cane alts to run lvl 4 missions and so on. Multiboxing nightmare

Or maybe train up 10 vexors with medium drones to pillage and **** missions while my main tanks. Not to mention I could train cloaking one and make an AFK-for-the-next-three-weeks-in-hostile-system-alt
Presidente Gallente
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#59 - 2012-08-26 13:03:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Presidente Gallente
A 14 days trial is fairly enough to get an impression about the game to figure out if you like it or not. A free trial even with extreme limitations would bring too many idiots into the game ruining it completely with their presence. If you pay and work for a complex game like EVE you deal with it in a serious manner what is very important for the development and evolution of the game. Your chars and all your ingame assets will have a history and become a non-material value what is definitely important for the gameplay e.g. in PvP. There are enough retards in EVE but they should not dominate the game with more free trial accounts.
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2012-08-26 17:39:10 UTC
I support this idea. No troll, hear me out.

90 day trial account. BUT, you only get 30 days worth of sp. This allows a new player 60 more free days to play at the cost of training. Or maybe just 60 days? Point is I think the goal is admirial. We should support giving more time for people to get used to the game.

Another idea is a striaght up 90 day trial account that locked down to only training frigate skills and a few basics. Just add the "this skill can't be trained on a trial account" to medium weapons even. This would make these accounts only interesting to new players who don't know if they want to pay yet or not. There are a lot of frigates to train but it would be a very limited trial thus keeping them at the same level of strenght the 60 day trials give, but for a longer period which gives new players more time to dig into gw and low sec without making trial accounts super alts. .

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg