These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

plasma turrets.

Author
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-08-24 01:26:11 UTC
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:
true, but IM not talking ammo with plasma in it.
More on the lines.of a particular plasma stream. Witch could only happen outside the atmosphere.

Oh you mean the Doomsday device???
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-08-24 01:32:07 UTC
Sigras wrote:
Physics is my field of study, and there is nothing in the real world that would use a "magnetically contained ball of subatomic particles" unless it was firing a plasma. Though that is a really weird way of describing it.

I'm sorry, but there are some devices that use plasma and magnetic fields to produce sound on hi-tec speekers ( Expensive but hi quality). Aren't ?
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#23 - 2012-08-24 04:12:26 UTC
Alx Warlord wrote:
Sigras wrote:
Physics is my field of study, and there is nothing in the real world that would use a "magnetically contained ball of subatomic particles" unless it was firing a plasma. Though that is a really weird way of describing it.

I'm sorry, but there are some devices that use plasma and magnetic fields to produce sound on hi-tec speekers ( Expensive but hi quality). Aren't ?

So you just agreed with him, and you are sorry?What? (bold mine)
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2012-08-24 04:19:25 UTC
Use the reallife physics stuff for inspiration, not explanation. This is a sciFI game after all, despite whatever.

I think what the OP is indirectly asking for different and/or new damage model types.

Not to be hijacking but certain PI goods also deal with plasma, so the ammo can come from there. It wouldn't have to be an immediate Hi Slot weapon turret, but say it could be something as an makeshift-special weapon of science-themed ships.

But as usual. That's just me.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#25 - 2012-08-24 04:21:07 UTC
Just had a thought, since our ships can fly through stars (close your eyes), wouldn't plasma not do much?
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-08-24 05:27:11 UTC
blasters are the plasma weapons you seek, it woud be too hard to do an always on "plasma stream"
Lavitakus Bromier
WTF Bunnies
#27 - 2012-08-24 17:01:37 UTC
I wouldn't do a always on plasma stream I don't think the game.could take it. I was thinking either a real fast rof so it seems.more like a stream. Or my fav would be a turret that when activated last 3-5 seconds and did damage over that time time period

So it would shoot and last for 5 seconds and hit maby like 3 times in that 5 seconds.
Opens the field for mods to increase the time it last or how much it hits within given time.
vyshnegradsky
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#28 - 2012-08-24 17:45:54 UTC
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:
vyshnegradsky wrote:
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:
Well I guess the fear or hate of change kills this thread.

Actually the fact that your weapon already exists killed this thread

Uh no. I did not propose it gun that shoot plasma bullets
I was trying to propose plasma particles stream gun..

Particle blasters operate on a similar principle as the railgun except they fire a magnetically contained ball of subatomic particles. This definition, along with being super heated (see the thermal damage) makes this a plasma.

This one's a bit over the edge guys.

Locked for breaking... well, pretty much all the rules.

• CCP Falcon
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-08-24 17:53:47 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Alx Warlord wrote:
Sigras wrote:

He said that there is nothing in the real world that uses "magnetically contained ball of subatomic particles" and I said that There is and i gave an example...

got it?
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#30 - 2012-08-24 18:47:57 UTC
Quote:
Hybrid ammunition uses hybrid plasma-shell rounds to deal damage. They are used primarily by Caldari and Gallente ships. Their combination of Kinetic and Thermal damages makes them moderately effective against both shields and armor.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Item_Database:Ammunition_&_Charges:Hybrid_Charges

Quote:
Particle blasters operate on a similar principle as the railgun except they fire a magnetically contained ball of subatomic particles. No other turret class can match the sheer destructive power of particle blasters, but due to the rapid dispersion of the containment field, it also has the worst range of all turrets.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Electron_Blaster_Cannon_I

I would say what you want is an electron/lightning gun.
Plasma we already have.
As stated, railguns fire the whole shell and blaster just the plasma.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#31 - 2012-08-24 18:53:52 UTC
+1 for plasma based weapons!

I mean ... the Blood Raiders need *something* special for their ships... Roll

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#32 - 2012-08-24 19:01:12 UTC
Alx Warlord wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:
Alx Warlord wrote:
Sigras wrote:

He said that there is nothing in the real world that uses "magnetically contained ball of subatomic particles" and I said that There is and i gave an example...

got it?

He was referring to weapons, quite obvious when you finish reading the sentence.
Usagi Toshiro
Null Tax Crew
#33 - 2012-08-24 19:01:17 UTC
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:
Just for fun. If you don't like the idea just move on. if it gets into the game it gets in if not no big deal.
Do a little research before posting.
If you do post your view on plasma turrets
Must include base stats and example of how it work along what type of ammo it needs to fire.
visual displays (picture or what ever) are welcome to get you point across.

Plasma starts in a gas form. Is pretty much a super heated liquid.
A form of plasma is lightning. Then sun also consist of plasma.

So IM thinking main damaging element is thermal, em and explosive can be put in there also. But it will always have thermal.

I like the idea of a plasma weapon but agree with the folks that suggest there area already turrets of a similar concept.

That being said...what about some sort of plasma bomb or AoE object? Or maybe plasma missile or torpedo that when detonated does splash AoE damage?

Would be useful against frig and drone swarms. The danger with AoE though is that High Sec use will be limited.

Trolls are like stray cats. If you feed them they multiply. Please do not  feed the trolls.

vyshnegradsky
The Legion of Spoon
#34 - 2012-08-24 19:16:58 UTC
Usagi Toshiro wrote:
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:
Just for fun. If you don't like the idea just move on. if it gets into the game it gets in if not no big deal.
Do a little research before posting.
If you do post your view on plasma turrets
Must include base stats and example of how it work along what type of ammo it needs to fire.
visual displays (picture or what ever) are welcome to get you point across.

Plasma starts in a gas form. Is pretty much a super heated liquid.
A form of plasma is lightning. Then sun also consist of plasma.

So IM thinking main damaging element is thermal, em and explosive can be put in there also. But it will always have thermal.

I like the idea of a plasma weapon but agree with the folks that suggest there area already turrets of a similar concept.

That being said...what about some sort of plasma bomb or AoE object? Or maybe plasma missile or torpedo that when detonated does splash AoE damage?

Would be useful against frig and drone swarms. The danger with AoE though is that High Sec use will be limited.

We already have these in the form of thermal bombs, maybe smart bombs aswell, I'm not sure.

• CCP Falcon
Griffin Omanid
Knights of the Zodiac
#35 - 2012-08-24 19:36:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Griffin Omanid
Such turrets aren´t really needed, are they? And if what faction should use them.

Beside plasma don´t need to be hot, they are more highly charged phase of matter. Like solid is the phase with a lot interactions and a gas is a phase with nearly no interaction, plasmas are normally charged gases. So their main damage should be EM. The only thing plasma has to do with thermal is, that heat is easiest and natural way of producing a plasma, cause the atoms (any interactions needed for molecules are already destroyed) are moving fast enough to charge each other.
But EM is already the main damage of lasers. If you just want to have a turret which deals primary thermal damage, you should get onother idea, beside Thermal is already secondary damage of nearly all turrets.

RollIdea: Short range: space flamethrower (much less range then AC and fall-off is as high as the optimal range, but higher DPS, ROF, bigger ammo storage and tracking)
Long range: space flare thrower (the same abiliteis like a pulse laser, but uses ammo instead of cap)Roll
vyshnegradsky
The Legion of Spoon
#36 - 2012-08-24 19:51:35 UTC
Griffin Omanid wrote:
Such turrets aren´t really needed, are they? And if what faction should use them.

Beside plasma don´t need to be hot, they are more highly charged phase of matter. Like solid is the phase with a lot interactions and a gas is a phase with nearly no interaction, plasmas are normally charged gases. So their main damage should be EM. The only thing plasma has to do with thermal is, that heat is easiest and natural way of producing a plasma, cause the atoms (any interactions needed for molecules are already destroyed) are moving fast enough to charge each other.
But EM is already the main damage of lasers. If you just want to have a turret which deals primary thermal damage, you should get onother idea, beside Thermal is already secondary damage of nearly all turrets.

RollIdea: Short range: space flamethrower (much less range then AC and fall-off is as high as the optimal range, but higher DPS, ROF, bigger ammo storage and tracking)
Long range: space flare thrower (the same abiliteis like a pulse laser, but uses ammo instead of cap)Roll

It should have nothing to do with EM as that would be being hit with photons. They gain a charge because they are supplied with a large amount of energy (usually thermal energy) which strips them of electrons. So their form of damage would be kinetic (hit with the particles) and thermal (super heated particles are hot). AKA, a blaster.

The only way to deal electro magnetism relates to photons, the particle form of light, which is why it can only be done by lasers.

• CCP Falcon
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#37 - 2012-08-24 20:31:16 UTC
What about a plasma field weapon, like a smart bomb?

Make it thermal damage, double the range of normal smart bombs in exchange for half the typical damage.
(The ship module sprays out a cloud of plasma particles and simply ignites them. A buffer field around the ship keeps it from toasting itself along with the others)

Possibly a sustained field around the ship, draining fuel each cycle.

(A new kind of heavy dictor inspired cruiser: Nova class cruisers could have this weak artificial star around them so long as they had fuel to keep it going)
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#38 - 2012-08-24 20:46:28 UTC
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:

"You guys are just afraid of change, my idea is brilliant."

1) "Because it would be cool" is not a good reason to add anything non-cosmetic to a multiplayer game.

2) As has been said, blasters shoot plasma.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Lavitakus Bromier
WTF Bunnies
#39 - 2012-08-24 20:59:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Lavitakus Bromier
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:

"You guys are just afraid of change, my idea is brilliant."

1) "Because it would be cool" is not a good reason to add anything non-cosmetic to a multiplayer game.

2) As has been said, blasters shoot plasma.

Hostile little fella, I know I know you're pixel can kill my pixels yaah for you.
If this game had no ideas witch ppl thought were cool it wouldn't have a players.

I do like the idea of a aoe weapon. And a particle stream would.kinda be.flame thrower. But.it would.just be plasma.

Edit: and no I never said my idea was brilliant, if you do read the original post I believe I did mention that is was mainly for fun.
vyshnegradsky
The Legion of Spoon
#40 - 2012-08-24 21:43:54 UTC
Does anyone here work for an oil company? We are going to need a bigger drill to get the point into the OP's head.

• CCP Falcon
Previous page123Next page