These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Why do missions in this game LAG so much???

First post
Author
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#21 - 2012-08-22 15:24:01 UTC
Chimpy B wrote:
It's probably the large particle systems for dust clouds causing it.

This. Dust clouds KILL performance.
Chimpy B
The Philosophy Of Two
#22 - 2012-08-22 15:28:07 UTC
People get lag and framerate confused.

framerate = performance on your computer i.e. smooth or jerky graphics

lag = delay between your computer and the game server. i.e. you click a button and nothing happens for a few seconds.

You can have high framerate running smooth as silk and have terrible lag, and vice versa.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#23 - 2012-08-22 15:37:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Chimpy B wrote:

lag = delay between your computer and the game server. i.e. you click a button and nothing happens for a few seconds.

You can have high framerate running smooth as silk and have terrible lag, and vice versa.

^That.

Also, 40 fps is still quite good. Many times I'm happy to be getting 15. When docked with CQ turned on I get 4.

Ive found that disabling shadows can help in missions what have alot of complex objects in them. The ones with the coral type branching asteroids, like Recon 3/3 (after you leave the gas cloud area) can cause a huge FPS hit when shadows are on.

BTW, are we ever going to get the green cloud of doom back in Recon 3/3?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Dennis Gregs
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-08-22 17:20:05 UTC
Chimpy B wrote:

Actually lag can be used for both client-server communication and just 'unresponsiveness' in general, which can be a result of low framerate, so it is best to clarify either way. It is clear that the OP is referring to framerate 'lag' either way.
Chimpy B
The Philosophy Of Two
#25 - 2012-08-22 17:24:32 UTC
Dennis Gregs wrote:
Actually lag can be used for both client-server communication and just 'unresponsiveness' in general, which can be a result of low framerate, so it is best to clarify either way. It is clear that the OP is referring to framerate 'lag' either way.

Well there is an input latency but it's generally only of the order of milliseconds.

I think "lag" is generally taken to mean network latency and using it to refer to framerate can cause confusion. :-)
Transient Drifter
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2012-08-22 17:55:31 UTC
i see framerate drops on my overclocked 7970, when dust clouds are on-screen
Josef Djugashvilis
#27 - 2012-08-22 19:27:16 UTC
Turelus wrote:
If you're using the in game FPS checker remember that if your "Present Interval" is at "Interval one" you always have a cap of 60 FPS.

Well, I live and learn.

From 60 fps to 190 fps with gtx 560Ti

Me not bein' very good on computers an' all.

Bring back my old slide-rule I say!

This is not a signature.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#28 - 2012-08-22 19:45:39 UTC
Chimpy B wrote:
Dennis Gregs wrote:

Well there is an input latency but it's generally only of the order of milliseconds.

I think "lag" is generally taken to mean network latency and using it to refer to framerate can cause confusion. :-)

The input latency can get larger with a very low fps. Ive noticed it when I have around 10 or less fps. It seems that you got to hover the mouse over a button or a menu item for two frames before the client knows where the mouse is. Or if I click drag a window the window is offset from the mouse location by the distance I moved the mouse over the time it took for two frames to be rendered. Ive had the mouse near the left edge of the screen, a window at the right, and the window will follow the mouse movements, but with that half screen plus offset distance.

In large fleet fights where fps is say 2, that means you got to hover the mouse over a button or ship for a full second plus before you can click or select it.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-08-22 21:05:41 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Turelus wrote:
If you're using the in game FPS checker remember that if your "Present Interval" is at "Interval one" you always have a cap of 60 FPS.

Well, I live and learn.

Theres no point to using interval immediate.

More fps doesn't = better.

Even if you have 190 fps it will drop to 20 when you see the lag clods of death. Go try it. 60 is enough, if you are rendering the max frames possible you are just giving your computer more things to do that it doesn't really need to do.
Josef Djugashvilis
#30 - 2012-08-22 21:08:13 UTC
Diesel47 wrote:
Turelus wrote:

Well, I live and learn.

Even if you have 190 fps it will drop to 20 when you see the lag clods of death. Go try it. 60 is enough, if you are rendering the max frames possible you are just giving your computer more things to do that it doesn't really need to do.

I was more interested in the fact that I could rather than any great desire to do so.

I cannot 'see' any difference, so I will stick with my normal 60 fps.

This is not a signature.

Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-08-22 21:12:01 UTC
Diesel47 wrote:
Turelus wrote:

Well, I live and learn.

I was more interested in the fact that I could rather than any great desire to do so.

I cannot 'see' any difference, so I will stick with my normal 60 fps.

Yeah, the only thing that interval immediate really does is make your hardware work harder and use more energy :(

Cool for showing off though...
So Stoned
#32 - 2012-08-22 21:22:11 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Chimpy B wrote:
It's probably the large particle systems for dust clouds causing it.

This. Dust clouds KILL performance.

This is the problem in my experience.

When those clouds are around my graphics card cooling fan turns itself up to eleventy.
Mather Odile
The spice MUST flow
#33 - 2012-08-23 03:29:06 UTC
I have to second this issue, its true for me as well. Clods as well as structures are hurting my framerate, whic is already low at around 35 in space. Graphic setting are already low, but i dont know the details atm.I run eve on:
NVIDIA GeForce 9200
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Windows XP
Processor: Athlon 64 Dual Core 5400+, ~2.8GHz
Memory: 2814MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Shilalasar
Dead Sky Inc.
#34 - 2012-08-23 07:29:12 UTC
Somehow strange is that not all clouds hate the GPU the same way. Some take 10% off your framerate while others force them to run at full capacity. The c3 OutpostFrontierStronghold is one of the "lagsites" too.
Nice grafics are fine, but if you have to move the camera away from them to maintain FPS or because they are so bright they almost get you blinded I´d call that not working as intended.
Abon
Pandorum Research Incorporated
#35 - 2012-08-23 09:17:10 UTC
Roime wrote:
Deadspace clouds not only cause lag even on serious hardware when multiboxing, but they are also way too bright.

i second that.
madsamo
Outer Haven Inc
#36 - 2012-08-23 10:05:17 UTC
Mission Clouds lag the crap out my normally good hardware.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#37 - 2012-08-23 10:51:03 UTC
madsamo wrote:
Mission Clouds lag the crap out my normally good hardware.

confirmed.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#38 - 2012-08-23 12:17:41 UTC
Turelus wrote:

Well, I live and learn.

You are better to put the settinga back to interval one, because the other WILL roast your video card, expecially some kinds of nVidia.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#39 - 2012-08-23 12:19:04 UTC
By the way it's not just clouds.

Every time there's an high number of occlusion checking (i.e. large trellis areas and bases) you will get massive slow downs like clouds do.
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-08-23 13:12:49 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
By the way it's not just clouds.

Every time there's an high number of occlusion checking (i.e. large trellis areas and bases) you will get massive slow downs like clouds do.

The more I'm doing missions with the FPS counter on... I've realize that almost all the clouds lag and sometimes even normal objects like rocks and buildings can cause lag too. Its pretty random but some of the models out there are just poorly optimized...put alot of them together and then add clouds and you got a lag fest for no good reason.
Previous page123Next page