These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship rebalancing

Author
JD No7
V I R I I
#1 - 2012-08-22 11:44:04 UTC
Why is it taking so long? Why don't we have all T1 ships on SISI now to assess at once?

Is the DEV team now really that small?
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-08-22 11:53:24 UTC
because balancing doesnt happen over night, chill out n wait, the fact its happening should be enough.

No Worries

JD No7
V I R I I
#3 - 2012-08-22 11:56:58 UTC
It's completely at odds with their own timescales though.

Stuff with CCP always takes faaaaaar too long.
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-08-22 12:01:23 UTC
so what you mean is its taking the same amount of development time as anything else... whats the problem again?

No Worries

JD No7
V I R I I
#5 - 2012-08-22 12:05:26 UTC
We were told that the Battlecruiser rebalancing would have been done by now. We are not even finished with Frigates.

I've been here on and off since day 1. CCP seems to have really stepped off the gas.
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-08-22 12:15:06 UTC
when did they say that?? Soon (TM) doesnt count

No Worries

Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-08-22 12:17:14 UTC
I've seen plenty of re-balancing lately.

Why so serious impatient?

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

JD No7
V I R I I
#8 - 2012-08-22 16:58:48 UTC
At the start of the year we were told the BC rebalancing would e in by the middle of the year.
Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-08-22 17:16:53 UTC
Sounds like someone feels entitled.

Which happens to be a personal problem.

Patience is a virtue, at least we are not waiting for ship rebalancing while Incarna gets tweaked or new "jesus features" get worked on.

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#10 - 2012-08-22 18:30:11 UTC
Have you tried to balance a few dozen ships, making sure they worked by themselves and compared to the other ones in not only the same class but also above and below, along with giving out a bunch of unique roles across all four races without one being too much over powered compared to another?
Lin Gerie
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-08-22 19:06:55 UTC
As someone with game design experience the amount of work that goes into creating a balanced system is ridiculous. Altering an already established and balanced system is just as if not more difficult. What you are not seeing is the hundreds if not thousands of man hours put into testing before these ships even hit SISI.

By the time these changes are shown to you, they have already gone through pre development stages based on statistics then in shop testing.
Once that in shop testing is done they tweek it, this could take a week, or a month or sometimes longer of tweeks and testing before they find numbers that work close to what they want. At this point they announce what they think will happen and the stats of the ships. Now that they've announced it they continue testing for a few weeks and make any minor tweeks before launching it on SISI.

When it's launched on SISI they now get even more data to look over which takes at LEAST 2 weeks, maybe down to 1 if they get really good and consistent testing data. At this point it is only a few weeks from being put on the player server.

Not only that but CCP is doing an amazing job with it. They're hitting 3-4 ships an update and without many problems which shows just how well they are handling the changes. Other companies commonly still have bugs or tweeks to make after launching balance patches let alone ones on the scale CCP is going for.

In conclusion, cool your jets, CCP is doing a great job and great things take time.

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-08-22 20:01:32 UTC
JD No7 wrote:
At the start of the year we were told the BC rebalancing would e in by the middle of the year.

By who? When? Be specific.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Griffin Omanid
Knights of the Zodiac
#13 - 2012-08-22 20:30:18 UTC
JD No7 wrote:
We were told that the Battlecruiser rebalancing would have been done by now. We are not even finished with Frigates.

I've been here on and off since day 1. CCP seems to have really stepped off the gas.

No, while mentioning that every ship will be rebalanced also with the implemention of Racial Destroyer and BC skills, they said that they started with the assault frigs in Crucible. With Inferno they wanted to begin with frigs which will last until the winter expansion.

They only wanted to alter a few ship types with each bigger patch, so that in case they totally scraped or overpowered a ship they can easily alter this one, while hoping not to do too much damage to the game.

I also think that CCP still is in a planing phase for the BS, cause they only stated that f.e. the Raven or Rokh shall be long range attack ships, while the Abbadon or Hyperion shall be line ships. But I think they still don´t know how it will be exactly.

Alara IonStorm
#14 - 2012-08-22 21:04:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
While I agree that proper balance takes time and CCP is doing a wonderful job. Just looking at the new ships in the sticky section makes my mouth water. I would not be apposed to a band-aids program in the meantime.

I:E - The Omen is pretty much agreed upon to be a disgrace all round. 50PG 30 CPU and 10m3 Drone Cap/ BW won't make EVE go pear shaped until they do proper balance work. In fact the ship would still be underpowered but usable especially to newbies using it for PvE.

Not a necessity but a few band-aids here and there would not be a miss on the ships that need them most.
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#15 - 2012-08-22 21:53:17 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
Expect it on the test server soon™.
You'll hear this a lot from CCP. >:}