These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

so marcus podded himself

First post
Author
Let's Party
Guitar Players of EVE
#1 - 2012-08-21 23:24:57 UTC
to get out of the wormhole

to avoid this in the future, i am thinking i will take in a probing ship and drop it off somewhere in the wormhole before i take in any other ships so in case the hole closes i can just warp to the ship i left and get in it to probe

anyone see any problems with this plan?
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#2 - 2012-08-21 23:27:39 UTC
Train an alt even if its just a t1 frig with probes on a spare char slot.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#3 - 2012-08-22 00:07:17 UTC
It never hurts to have an offline probe launcher on your ship with probes in the cargo hold.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Daemon Ceed
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2012-08-22 02:21:57 UTC
Let's Party wrote:

to avoid this in the future, i am thinking i will take in a probing ship and drop it off somewhere in the wormhole before i take in any other ships so in case the hole closes i can just warp to the ship i left and get in it to probe

This is a great plan, because there's no way that someone will scan down your probing frig and just pop it leaving you stranded again. None whatsoever.

Better advice: train a scanning alt or get friends to go into a WH with you.
Let's Party
Guitar Players of EVE
#5 - 2012-08-22 03:46:44 UTC
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#6 - 2012-08-22 04:15:16 UTC
Let's Party wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26208024/Pics/2012.08.21.23.04.52.jpg

In a noctis? Jesus man give up one freakin tractor beam and put a probe launcher on it. Absolutely no excuse especially for a noctis.

You can get a useful scanning alt with basic cloak in under a week. I have 6.
Calsys
Monks of War
#7 - 2012-08-22 05:12:10 UTC
Let's Party wrote:

yea
a scanner should go out last
lol
LanFear TyRaX
Lead Farmers
#8 - 2012-08-22 05:36:24 UTC
Let's Party wrote:

You are in a channel named "Mining" , problem spotted !
Let's Party
Guitar Players of EVE
#9 - 2012-08-22 06:24:58 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Let's Party wrote:

In a noctis? Jesus man give up one freakin tractor beam and put a probe launcher on it. Absolutely no excuse especially for a noctis.

i have a bunch of scanning alts but running 2 copies of eve is a pain and so is logging in-and-out >__>
Archdaimon
Merchants of the Golden Goose
#10 - 2012-08-22 07:30:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Archdaimon
To answer your question more politely, yes, there is a problem with jumping out of a ship.
First and foremost is that fact that any hostile forces will scan down your scanner and either steal or pop it.
With the scanner popped, you are stuck.

If you always do wormholes close to hi-sec one could argue that you might be able to the sites in there as long as you are within d-scan of the hi-wh. Any forces trying to close would appear on your d-scan.

However, odds are greater that you'll get ganked as d-scan works both ways.

In the end, the best way is to have a scanner alt. Get a second or stronger computer and have them idling while you do sites and d-scan like a good little piggy.

Wormholes have the best accoustics. It's known. - Sing it for me -

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#11 - 2012-08-22 08:59:51 UTC
Train an alt - not necessarily even a "proper" alt, just a character in a spare slot on your account - with the most basic stuff necessary, stick it in a frig with a probe launcher and stick that into the wh first. If anything goes really bad you can pop on your alt and find an exit.
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#12 - 2012-08-22 13:05:53 UTC
Let's Party wrote:
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Let's Party wrote:

i have a bunch of scanning alts but running 2 copies of eve is a pain and so is logging in-and-out >__>

Ah,

So you podded yourself because you are too lazy.

What's more work, logging in an alt, fly into WH. Log off

Fly scanning ship, make safe, eject ship, go back in pod for other ship. fly back to wh.

Or just put a freaking probe launcher on your noctis.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#13 - 2012-08-22 13:37:12 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Let's Party wrote:

In my earliest days of wormhole exploration, I did something like that. I dropped a Magnate at a planet and then came back in a retriever to mine. It turned into my first three PVP losses:

Retriever
Pod (he held me for a while trying to ransom a three month old character)
Magnate

If you get popped by another player, they've probably already found your empty probe ship and will either shoot it next, or steal it.

edit: ALWAYS have a probe launcher on anything that might end up being the last ship in the hole. ANYTHING. Ships I have probe launchers on when I spend any amount of time in w-space:

Orca
Noctis
Tengu
Anathema

I can't stress enough: always have a backup.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#14 - 2012-08-22 13:54:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Rroff
Archdaimon wrote:

If you always do wormholes close to hi-sec one could argue that you might be able to the sites in there as long as you are within d-scan of the hi-wh. Any forces trying to close would appear on your d-scan.

Way too many ways that could still go wrong tho hehe - ISP having a problem and you get dc'd and can't recconect for a few hours could leave you without an exit, WHs have been known to randomly dissapear of their own accord when not massed or EOL, etc. etc.

FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:

edit: ALWAYS have a probe launcher on anything that might end up being the last ship in the hole. ANYTHING. Ships I have probe launchers on when I spend any amount of time in w-space:

Orca
Noctis
Tengu
Anathema

I can't stress enough: always have a backup.

This is why I always use a prowler for general hauling, having the high slots to fit both covert ops cloak and a probe launcher = win :D
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#15 - 2012-08-22 14:22:17 UTC
Next time leave the noctis..., dont be selfish!

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7

Moonlit Raid
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-08-22 15:53:45 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Let's Party wrote:

I have 12

If brute force isn't working, you're just not using enough.

Please Note: Any advice given comes with the caveat that nothing will be suitable for every situation.

Goran Konjich
Krompany
#17 - 2012-08-23 06:32:21 UTC
Moonlit Raid wrote:
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Let's Party wrote:

I have 12

years ?

I'm a diplomat. Sometimes i throw 425mm wide briefcases at enemy. Such is EVE.