These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Mining in High-Sec

Author
Market Inquisitor
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-08-20 23:36:17 UTC
I have been considering getting into mining as something to do semi-afk while I do homework. I do various other things on my main, but nearly everything is not something I have my mind on classes.

Now, my question(s).. How profitable is mining now after the Drone region changes and the new Barge/Exhumer changes? I really do not know hardly anything about mining, but I think I heard the Mack or more for solo miners?

Any advice for a new miner?
Zifrian
The Pannion Domin
Ghostbirds
#2 - 2012-08-20 23:55:06 UTC
Check out the mining tab in IPH (link in sig). High sec mining is pretty profitable right now. Not that I agree (!) but it is what it is.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Market Inquisitor
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-08-21 00:09:07 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
Check out the mining tab in IPH (link in sig). High sec mining is pretty profitable right now. Not that I agree (!) but it is what it is.

Thanks!
Bath Sheeba
Another Success Story
#4 - 2012-08-21 01:46:49 UTC
Zifrian wrote:

I am not sure what you do not agree with? That it is profitable? That IPH is in your sig?

If you do not agree that High Sec mining is profitable, and your own tool says it is, then is the tool faulty?

Just trying to make sense of this statement.
Zifrian
The Pannion Domin
Ghostbirds
#5 - 2012-08-21 02:26:26 UTC
Bath Sheeba wrote:
Zifrian wrote:

I am not sure what you do not agree with? That it is profitable? That IPH is in your sig?

If you do not agree that High Sec mining is profitable, and your own tool says it is, then is the tool faulty?

Just trying to make sense of this statement.

High sec shouldn't be the most profitable place to mine ore. But that's in other threads.

Conrad Lionhart
#6 - 2012-08-21 04:21:42 UTC
I'm no economy expert, but since mining is now so accessible due to the mining ship changes, and more people are doing it, mineral prices may drop.
Idris Helion
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-08-21 13:03:31 UTC
Hisec mining is pretty good recently due to the blowout price of pyerite (and hence of Scord), but traditionally you can make decent but not great ISK doing it...and that's with high skills (Mining V, Mining Upgrades V, Industry V, high Refining, etc.). At lower skills, ISK/hr is crap, especially if you're soloing. You can make more ISK doing almost anything else in the game.

And I'm anticipating a drop in mineral prices for awhile as the influx of mining alts floods the market with cheap low-end minerals. Things will balance out in a month or two as the novelty of the barge changes wears off and part-time miners get bored and move on, but in the meantime, it's going to be even harder to make a profit by mining than it normally is.

One more thing: I've been noticing that more and more hisec belts are getting completely cleaned out -- not just raided for high-quality ores, but completely stripped. This is true even in .8 and .9 systems where roids are small and harder to mine efficiently. Competition is driving miners into lower-yield areas and lower-quality rocks (I've even seen people chasing Omber).
Idris Helion
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-08-21 13:07:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Idris Helion
If you're really looking to make easy ISK AFK just do ice mining in a Retriever or a Mack. Go to an ice field, point lasers, turn on lasers, check back every hour or so. It's just as brain-numbing as it used to be in a Hulk, but at least now you don't have to run back to station or offload to an Orca so often. EDIT: Though "easy ISK" is probably a mis-statement, because Ice prices are down too.
Totally Trustworthy
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-08-21 15:30:40 UTC
currently, mining veld/scord with a hulk and hauler, no boosts, i make around 16mil to 18mil per hour
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#10 - 2012-08-21 16:09:48 UTC
Mineral prices in the region I mine are already dropping.
Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#11 - 2012-08-21 17:15:12 UTC
Our corp's normal mining system (3 jumps from Amarr) was completely cleaned out. We had to go 6 jumps out to find a good system where only half the belts were cleaned out.

It makes me sad to hear that people are actually legitimately mining Omber.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-08-21 17:44:54 UTC
Pinstar Colton wrote:

Do you happen to know better source of isogen in hisec?
Allus Nova
#13 - 2012-08-21 18:05:16 UTC
Zifrian wrote:

Zifrian,

Symantec 12 is showing that file is infected with Bloodhound.sonar.9.

I downloaded and installed the .MSI file, not the binary.

Just an FYI.

Screenshot of the virus detection.
Idris Helion
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-08-21 18:11:09 UTC
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Pinstar Colton wrote:

Kernite.

Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-08-21 18:32:57 UTC
Pinstar Colton wrote:

Omber grav site are the trollface grav sites.
ashley Eoner
#16 - 2012-08-21 22:20:47 UTC
Idris Helion wrote:
Hisec mining is pretty good recently due to the blowout price of pyerite (and hence of Scord), but traditionally you can make decent but not great ISK doing it...and that's with high skills (Mining V, Mining Upgrades V, Industry V, high Refining, etc.). At lower skills, ISK/hr is crap, especially if you're soloing. You can make more ISK doing almost anything else in the game.

And I'm anticipating a drop in mineral prices for awhile as the influx of mining alts floods the market with cheap low-end minerals. Things will balance out in a month or two as the novelty of the barge changes wears off and part-time miners get bored and move on, but in the meantime, it's going to be even harder to make a profit by mining than it normally is.

One more thing: I've been noticing that more and more hisec belts are getting completely cleaned out -- not just raided for high-quality ores, but completely stripped. This is true even in .8 and .9 systems where roids are small and harder to mine efficiently. Competition is driving miners into lower-yield areas and lower-quality rocks (I've even seen people chasing Omber).
I've already noticed a drop off in miners in my area. The first few days were heavy but today no one has even touched my region where as last week the area was picked clean. I think the novelty of the mining barge/exhumer changes has worn off already for the most part. I expect further drops in trit and pyrerite prices though.

As it is right now I make quite a lot more isk running level fours with my four accounts then I do mining.
Zifrian
The Pannion Domin
Ghostbirds
#17 - 2012-08-22 09:36:12 UTC
Allus Nova wrote:
Zifrian wrote:

Zifrian,

Symantec 12 is showing that file is infected with Bloodhound.sonar.9.

I downloaded and installed the .MSI file, not the binary.

Just an FYI.

Screenshot of the virus detection.

Interesting. I have nothing on my comp according to McAfee. Doing some poking around on google and I'm not sure what that is. Sounds like it might be an internal process for Symantic and it's upset with my updater since it downloads and updates things on your computer. I'll keep looking at it though.

Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#18 - 2012-08-22 12:14:56 UTC
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Pinstar Colton wrote:

Kernite.

I left Minmatar space to move to Amarr for precisely that reason...well that and Pyro > Plag.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Traedar
InterStellar Trading Syndicate
#19 - 2012-08-22 15:22:28 UTC
Totally Trustworthy wrote:
currently, mining veld/scord with a hulk and hauler, no boosts, i make around 16mil to 18mil per hour

You might want to train Mining Foreman on your Hulk pilot and fleet the two up... up to +10% yield... Smile

Idris Helion
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-08-22 15:29:13 UTC
Pinstar Colton wrote:
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Pinstar Colton wrote:

Kernite.

I left Minmatar space to move to Amarr for precisely that reason...well that and Pyro > Plag.

Plag is worth more now than it used to be now that Pyerite is so high. Pryo is still better ISK/m3, but not by as much as it was before. Plus, it's getting harder to find more good Pyro belts in Amarr space as miners flock to the new barges. I generally stick with good Veld belts and take the Scord/Pyro/Kernite if it's sitting there. Veld is still the king of ISK/m3 in hisec; always has been and probably always will be.
12Next page