These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Reproduced without permission

Author
Spy 21
Infidelia Black
#1 - 2012-08-21 13:53:36 UTC
The following paragraph from an article out of edge-online sums up the eve universe quite well and, if taken literally, would completely resolve any debate about exactly WHAT kind of game this is.

“Eve is very dark,” confirms creative director Torfi Frans Ólafsson. “It’s harsh. It is supposed to be unforgiving. The original designers played a lot of Ultima Online, which was a fantastic sandbox game, and it allowed you to be very devious and very immoral in the way that you played. What they loved about it is that player killers, the griefers - people who just went around and killed other people - became so unpopular that other people banded together. Good started fighting evil, and without true evil you can’t have true good. So you had these bands of righteous people chasing player killers, and those player killers were the original Eve designers; they created a game about that mechanic.”

Love the bit about the origin of the Eve Designers... definitely not carebears. Lol

S

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-08-21 14:01:28 UTC
I love the inference that you can't have "good" without "evil", so in the end evil is really the only source of good. So really your dark universe is all about creating sweetness and light.

It's crap of course, but it's funny that they can't just market it as the game for asshats that it is. I doubt they'd lose any subscriptions.
Lyrrashae
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-08-21 14:05:32 UTC
It compels the question, where did all those old school UO PK'ers go?

They seem increasingly rare in these parts nowadaysSad

Ni.

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#4 - 2012-08-21 14:05:42 UTC
But in eve evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
Spy 21
Infidelia Black
#5 - 2012-08-21 14:07:14 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

I always thought that it was because evil was not hamstrung by morality.

S

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

Velicitia
XS Tech
#6 - 2012-08-21 14:08:48 UTC
pretty much ... and the faster CCP remembers this, the better ...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

B1ade
Restless Knights
#7 - 2012-08-21 14:10:30 UTC
Spy 21 wrote:
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

S

Nope, people that come in wanting to be good are young and noobish, all the old players just want to be mean and rich

Step away from the keyboard before you type something else stupid.

Mallak Azaria
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2012-08-21 14:19:17 UTC
Malphilos wrote:
It's crap of course, but it's funny that they can't just market it as the game for asshats that it is. I doubt they'd lose any subscriptions.

HELLO THERE FELLOW ASSHAT!

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#9 - 2012-08-21 14:21:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Spy 21 wrote:
The following paragraph from an article out of edge-online sums up the eve universe quite well and, if taken literally, would completely resolve any debate about exactly WHAT kind of game this is.

“Eve is very dark,” confirms creative director Torfi Frans Ólafsson. “It’s harsh. It is supposed to be unforgiving. The original designers played a lot of Ultima Online, which was a fantastic sandbox game, and it allowed you to be very devious and very immoral in the way that you played. What they loved about it is that player killers, the griefers - people who just went around and killed other people - became so unpopular that other people banded together. Good started fighting evil, and without true evil you can’t have true good. So you had these bands of righteous people chasing player killers, and those player killers were the original Eve designers; they created a game about that mechanic.”

Love the bit about the origin of the Eve Designers... definitely not carebears. Lol

S

Thanks for posting that.

I always find it funny and a bit dismaying when some "carebear" (in the truest sense of the word) makes yet another "EVE would get so many more subs IF" post that is yet another attempt to change the nature of the game.

SO many cookie cutter- cater to the lowest common denominator games out there (some with space themes), why oh WHY can't they leave EVE alone for those of us who like cold, harsh and dark?
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#10 - 2012-08-21 14:28:07 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

I'm not dumb, I'm just drawn that wa...

...oh wait.
Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-08-21 16:05:15 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Malphilos wrote:

HELLO THERE FELLOW ASSHAT!

Greetings! Lemonade?
Tarassse
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-08-21 16:13:00 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
SO many cookie cutter- cater to the lowest common denominator games out there (some with space themes), why of WHY can't they leave EVE alone for those of us who like cold, harsh and dark?

Maybe you should think before you post, dude.

Without good/dumb/carebears/whatever you wish to name them, you wouldn't have targets to collect tears from. Everyone would just like to fight and in the end, griefers/pirates/PKs would be bored very quickly, since they couldn't ruin other people's day by forcing PvP on them.
Maxxatan
SSEO KG
#13 - 2012-08-21 16:21:23 UTC
Tarassse wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
SO many cookie cutter- cater to the lowest common denominator games out there (some with space themes), why of WHY can't they leave EVE alone for those of us who like cold, harsh and dark?

Without good/dumb/carebears/whatever you wish to name them, you wouldn't have targets to collect tears from. Everyone would just like to fight and in the end, griefers/pirates/PKs would be bored very quickly, since they couldn't ruin other people's day by forcing PvP on them.

Exactly. The GOOD guys are really important.

They provide us with targets! Themselves!
They provide us with our supply of ISK! They make it - we take it!
They even provide us with our gametime! We all buy PLEX from these "good" players!

Grief them, extort them, kill them repeatedly - but NEVER underestimate their importantness in our little system. It is like the Lion wanting Gazelles to go extinct because they are, in comparison ridiculous and pathetic animals. But without them the Lion dies. And supposedly the lion is smart enough to realise that.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=143535

Gothikia
#14 - 2012-08-21 16:23:52 UTC
Eve works because of pure, unadulterated greed.

<3 Gothie

stoicfaux
#15 - 2012-08-21 16:27:01 UTC
Spy 21 wrote:
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

S

"In the battle between Good and Evil, Evil has more fun." And having a fun time is more important than winning, right? (Or is bleeping the prom queen really that important to you?)

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-08-21 16:29:50 UTC
Maxxatan wrote:
And supposedly the lion is smart enough to realise that.

And fortunately for the so-called lions (wolves and sheep, if you prefer the classic terms), the gazelles aren't smart enough to figure it out.

Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#17 - 2012-08-21 16:30:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Tarassse wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

This is called "reading something into the message that isn't there". Try to not make assumptions before posting (if you were confused by my post, you could have asked me).

I said nothing about carebears per se. Hell, I'm a "carebear" (in the sense of the word meaning "a person sometimes enjoys PVE content", NOT a risk aversion type).

I'm talking about about the people who cannot accept the nature of the game and who seek to turn EVE into some form of happy happy fun land theme park every time they post their "you know what would get eve more subs, taking out non-consensual PVP!" threads.

EVE needs people who build things, people who mine, people who buy and sell ect ect as much as it needs people who kick over sand castles. I have no problem with them [u]so long as they understand that undocking (or making a contract or buy/sell order) IS consent to "pvp". It's the people who don't understand the aforemention concept that I have a problem with.

Why aren't those types playing Star Trek? Why play a game that goes counter to what you want it to be?
Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#18 - 2012-08-21 16:34:58 UTC
double post
Anslo
Scope Works
#19 - 2012-08-21 16:36:59 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Why aren't those types playing Star Trek? Why play a game that goes counter to what you want it to be?

Eve's ships are sexier.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

El Cid Campeador
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-08-21 16:40:56 UTC
Roll Sizzle Beef wrote:

SPACEBALLS!
12Next page