These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Can stealing

Author
Marsan
#21 - 2012-08-21 05:26:59 UTC
Keep in mind very few people steal from jet cans for the value of the stuff in them it's entirely to either grief you or better yet get you to attack them so they can kill you. Unless you have a friend in the same player corp with a combat ship you are going to lose 99%of ights with a can flipper. This goes for people salvaging your missions too.

There are thing you can do:

- Go some where else and mine.
- Mine into a ship with a large cargo or ore hold
- Mine into your ship's hold, but jet can one ore every couple of minutes. (drives them nuts as they just have to check all the cans)
- Book mark a new 'riod about 100km away before you warp back to station with a load. Warp back to this site, start mining, and drop a jet can with one ore. (He'll have to fly over or warp out and back to check the can out)
- Run mining missions or hauling missions

The important thing is to ignore the can flipper. Any interaction just tends to feed them.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Blade N'Mare
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2012-08-21 06:36:44 UTC
My turn

If you did the tutorial missions, you will have the basic hauler ship for your race, and the skill book necessary to fly it. Train up this skill so you can fly the next level Indy ship, as these are cheap, quick to train and hold over 10,000 m3 when fitted appropriately.

Next, train anchoring to level one, buy several Giant Secure Containers, and anchor them in the belts you wish to mine. I had 3 set up each in 2 belts

Now you can go out in your mining frig or cruiser, fill the containers safety, then a quick round trip in your hauler to empty

Next, train up for a Retriever. Best bet would be to search the forums or battle clinic for an anti gank fit, and train for the modules and fitting skills required as well. Don't go out in a minIng barge with no defense modules, it's asking for some idiot to gank your nice new ship. Retrievers hold a full can worth of ore.

Cheers,

Blade

"Light a candle for the Sinners.  Set the World on Fire."

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#23 - 2012-08-21 11:43:27 UTC
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
When you eject something from your cargohold, you're effectively saying "I no longer want this stuff". .

Nonsense. That only applies to an abandoned (blue) can.

If something is in your cargohold, short of blowing you up no one can take what is inside it. When you eject it from your cargohold, you are throwing it away. The stuff may still belong to you according to game mechanics, but you have effectively thrown that stuff away & anyone may come along & claim it as their own.

If you don't want people stealing your stuff, don't eject it from your cargohold.

Nope. There are all sorts of reasons why people put stuff in jetcans and the only one that involves throwing it away is when you abandon the can.

The fact that you regard it as thrown away doesn't make it so.

Seriously Oraac, you should not be posting this stuff in the New Citizens forum.

Do you know where the term JetCan came from... Let me give you a clue:

jet·ti·son
[jet-uh-suhn, -zuhn] Show IPA

verb (used with object)

1. to cast (goods) overboard in order to lighten a vessel oraircraft or to improve its stability in an emergency.
2. to throw off (something) as an obstacle or burden; discard.
3. Cards . to discard (an unwanted card or cards).

CCP even provide you with a warning, Are you sure you want to Jettison that... Yes/No.

For any New players reading this, if you Jettison a can and put stuff in it, someday someone WILL come and take it, simply to try and get you to agro them. And it's that person who is more prepared for a fight.

Fly Safe... Fly Smart!

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Oraac Ensor
#24 - 2012-08-21 16:41:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Oraac Ensor
Jint Hikaru wrote:

Seriously Oraac, you should not be posting this stuff in the New Citizens forum.

Do you know where the term JetCan came from... Let me give you a clue:

jet·ti·son
[jet-uh-suhn, -zuhn] Show IPA

verb (used with object)

1. to cast (goods) overboard in order to lighten a vessel oraircraft or to improve its stability in an emergency.
2. to throw off (something) as an obstacle or burden; discard.
3. Cards . to discard (an unwanted card or cards).

CCP even provide you with a warning, Are you sure you want to Jettison that... Yes/No.

For any New players reading this, if you Jettison a can and put stuff in it, someday someone WILL come and take it, simply to try and get you to agro them. And it's that person who is more prepared for a fight.

Fly Safe... Fly Smart!

Simple fact: if you throw something away you relinquish ownership of it. That doesn't happen when you put something into a jetcan.

The definitions you quote are just examples of the most common usage of the term. At its root "jettison" simply means to eject, without any connotation of the purpose of the ejection.

Stop confusing game mechanics with players' intentions. The warning is given for the simple reason that anyone can take from the can, not because you are deemed to have thrown anything away.

Please read and try to comprehend my original point. Taking from another player's can is theft and is not, and cannot be, justified by claiming that the can's contents have been thrown away (i.e. abandoned) as stated by the poster I replied to. I repeat, if the player has thrown away (i.e. abandoned) his stuff he would - guess what? - abandon his can. There is an exact RL parallel to this game mechanic:

Yellow can -
Quote:
Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended. In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding".

Blue can -
Quote:
If the owner has renounced all property rights in the object, then the property is abandoned. Since theft is the unlawful taking of another person's property, an essential element of the actus reus of theft is absent.

Above all, please note that none of the above is in any way intended to imply that jetcans are safe, how could it be?

And don't presume to tell me where I should or shouldn't post.
Previous page12