These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Reviving the Soul of New Eden's Relic'd Past --- Mothership

Author
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#1 - 2012-08-17 14:45:14 UTC

Mothership

"Synaptic pathway algorythm......100%"
"Synaptic transference algorythm......100%"
"Synaptic communication uplink......established"

Most of you may or may not know that a game called HomeWord was the forerunner to EvE Online. Take a look and you see the similarities.

Evacuees being stored in Cryo Beds ( Pods)

A single entity controlling the actions of the ship through implants.

Relic spawned three titles Homeworld, Homeworld:Cataclysm and HomeWorld Two that were major success stories.

If you are into developing Home World Game environments like I am when you get into the nitty gritty of the .shp, .dist., . lod, etc. files you can see the embryo's from which EvE Evolved from nearly 13 years ago.

If you want to see where EvE came from take a jump on over to Relic forums.

If you want to access the mod pages just do a search for Dryson until you come to the Homeworld Mod section.

Home World will also give you the chance to create your own system similar to Eve System.

What we are trying to do is to rebuild the HomeWorld Series into the glorious Universe it once was. With all of the new tech such as the free to use Unreal UDK program that allows you to create your own games we are trying to breathe life back into this Relic by giving it a new feel similar to EvE Online but based upon the HomeWorld Series.

Most of the HomeWorld fans do no like the thought of their Universe being made into a MMORPE like EvE Online. But If the Home World Universe could be incorporated into EvE Online as a newly discovered part of the Galaxy the union would breathe new life into both environments.

Hopefully we can get enough volunteers to pilot her ships to make the comeback of Home World a success.

"Hang on Sjet..."

..........................."Mothership.'
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#2 - 2012-08-17 14:47:17 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Most of you may or may not know that a game called HomeWord was the forerunner to EvE Online.

Never played it. Is that something like "hangman"? Doesn't sound at all like EVE.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#3 - 2012-08-17 14:52:25 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Most of you may or may not know that a game called HomeWord was the forerunner to EvE Online. Take a look and you see the similarities.

As a long-time fan of Homeworld, I think you're completely wrong. There are very few similarities between Eve and Homeworld. The mechanics, the backstories, the physics...nothing is the same. They both happen in space, that's ALL. And they have that in common with a century of science fiction.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

El Cid Campeador
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-08-17 14:52:26 UTC
I vote no. It died, EVE survived. For a reason
Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-08-17 14:54:35 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

Yeah, stopped reading there.

Sorry, but I completely disagree.

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#6 - 2012-08-17 14:57:02 UTC
El Cid Campeador wrote:
I vote no. It died, EVE survived. For a reason

Yeah, that reason being that the Homeworld IP is tied up in a mess of mergers, closures, and transfers. HW3 would almost certainly be a commercial success, but it's unlikely to ever be made due to the problems with ownership of the franchise.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Cadfael Maelgwyn
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-08-17 15:06:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Cadfael Maelgwyn
DrysonBennington wrote:
Most of you may or may not know that a game called HomeWord was the forerunner to EvE Online. Take a look and you see the similarities

Eh?

Also, this is a very poor attempt at attempting to generate support for a dying (or already dead) series.

I'd say "nice try", but it isn't even that.

EDIT:

DrysonBennington wrote:
But If the Home World Universe could be incorporated into EvE Online as a newly discovered part of the Galaxy the union would breathe new life into both environments.

This could not work, seeing as the New Eden galaxy is a completely separate galaxy, and we don't even know how far the Milky Way is, as the settlers made it to New Eden via wormhole.

There's also the tiny matter of the original settlers of Earth radiating out from that planet using stargates, which Homeworld does not have. The Homeworld storyline does not match in the slightest.

So this could definitely not work, sorry.
Anslo
Scope Works
#8 - 2012-08-17 15:11:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Anslo
How can you say there's absolutely no similarities between Eve and Homeworld aside from being in space? Hell even the pod pilot idea is similar in a few aspects. Not the pod sure, but controlling an entire ship through one individual. Give me a break...stupid elitists.

Morale Edit: Good idea OP, it's one hell of a task, but it could be pretty cool. I kind of see it as a simulator for large scale encounters between alliances and a way to see if certain fleet compositions work or not without just staring at numbers and calculators all day.

Me Gusta.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Cadfael Maelgwyn
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-08-17 15:13:06 UTC
Anslo wrote:
How can you say there's absolutely no similarities between Eve and Homeworld aside from being in space? Hell even the pod pilot idea is similar in a few aspects. Not the pod sure, but controlling an entire ship through one individual. Give me a break...stupid elitists.

Yeah, and that's just about the only similarity.

There are many, many, many more differences.
Anslo
Scope Works
#10 - 2012-08-17 15:20:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Anslo
Cadfael Maelgwyn wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Yeah, and that's just about the only similarity.

There are many, many, many more differences.

Oh come off it, it's just a game and a fun idea. I would think FC's would like something what the OP is proposing pending it's very accurate...a good many conversion calculations would need to take place. It is, by and far, a daunting task, but doable and very much interesting. Go go OP!

Also, as hard as it is to believe, no story is 100% unique. A great writer once said, "Every story has been written."

The Great Pilots: Ship control in HW <-> Eve pod pilots
The "Exiled" People: Hiigaran<-> The Khanid
The Fallen Ancients Concept: Jove <-> Bentusi
The "Gift of the Gods" Concept: Jove giving immortality to Humanity (and god knows what else) vs. The Hyper Gate Drives
The Savior of the People: Karan S'jet (HW) <-> Silphy enDiabel (Intaki Syndicate, Eve)

I could go on, but the point is, no matter what, every story has been told, just in different ways. The concepts are the same once you stop being so narrow minded and jingoistic about your fan boyisms. It has happened before, it will happen again.

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#11 - 2012-08-17 15:22:34 UTC
As has been stated, they aren't even remotely similar.

You'd have a better argument comparing EVE to Imperium Galactica, FFS. In reality, EVE is closer to games like Freelancer, but still not very close (especially mechanically).
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#12 - 2012-08-17 15:23:38 UTC
Quote:

You have to get into the source code side of the HW.

It has various parameters such as falloff, optimal range, slotted weapons, armor ect. ect. ect. All of which are the same elements that make up EvE Oneline.

The physics behind each game are roughly the same.

You can use Slip Gates and Hyperspace to move your ships around across long distances.

The same is true with the Cynosural.

There are also Gravewell Generators similar to how Warp Bubbles work but in HW they stop a ship from moving at all.

Open up the homeworld.big file with the BTG, background tool of the geeks and the same physics that are part of eve are there as well.

In HW S'jet uses implants to control the function of the ship the same as the pilot does in EvE Online.

The pilot in the Pod in EvE Online is how each ship is controlled. The only reason that crew exists is to preform actions that the pilot in the Pod is not able to.

So yes both games mirror each other.

You just have to notice the sudtle differences.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#13 - 2012-08-17 15:24:23 UTC
Man how young are you people?
Sturmwolke
#14 - 2012-08-17 15:27:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Sturmwolke
EVE was based on Elite, the precursor that spawned a genre. The "endless space", the trading, the system sec status, the stations, the space police (aka Concord), the bounty (which is forever broken for EVE), missions and a host of other features. The EVE logo resembles Elite's box art.

It did not evolve from Homeworld, though I won't discount borrowed ship ideas e.g. the vertical Nalfgar ... which itself is could be borrowed from any number of sci-fi film like Star Wars.

DrysonBennington wrote:

That question applies to you too. Big smile
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#15 - 2012-08-17 15:28:02 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

Imperium Galactica is 2 years older than Homeworld, FYI.
Cadfael Maelgwyn
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-08-17 15:28:33 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

Implying your opponents are young/inexperienced/stupid = instant victory, amirite?
Medarr
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-08-17 15:29:09 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

What does age have to with anything ?
Anslo
Scope Works
#18 - 2012-08-17 15:29:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Anslo
I'd say not how young, but how old? Older people can be so set in their ways Shocked

Nyreanya
Serenity Labs
#19 - 2012-08-17 15:30:31 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

See sig.

[/sarcasm]

Cadfael Maelgwyn
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-08-17 15:30:40 UTC
Anslo wrote:
I'd so not how young, but how old? Older people can be so set in their ways Shocked

They're usually like that for a reason.
123Next page