These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Capacitor Battery for PVE vs Blood Raider

Author
Ciba Lexlulu
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#1 - 2012-08-17 10:06:01 UTC
Hi, I am uncertain on the impact of the new cap battery for PVE. I understand that the new Cap Battery can reflect some of the impact of Nos and Neut back to the attacker. This will probably good for PVP; what about PVE? especially if you are being neuted by Blood Raiders ship.. would the NPC run out of cap and stop neuting you?

Aamrr
#2 - 2012-08-17 10:20:41 UTC
NPCs have infinite capacitor. Neuting them has no effect.
Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-08-17 10:28:30 UTC
Aamrr wrote:

While they do have infinite cap, neuting them reduces their chance to repair armor or shield each cycle.
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-08-17 11:15:00 UTC
Their neuting range is generally that much lower than their effective fighting range; I rarely get neuted by Bloodies because I kill them way before they can get in range.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Ciba Lexlulu
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#5 - 2012-08-17 12:53:57 UTC
I guess the 'reflect' back effect has no or little Impact on Blood Raiders .. Cap Recharger is a better fit than Cap Battery mod.
XxRTEKxX
256th Shadow Wing
Phantom-Recon
#6 - 2012-08-17 17:10:39 UTC
wouldn't cap boosters be more effective? I usually just try to keep range on the them or have an alt supplying me with cap transfer.
Bill Serkoff2
Tachyon Technology
#7 - 2012-08-17 17:30:53 UTC
Aamrr wrote:

This reaaaaaaally needs a fix

"The Cyclone and the Drake are two ships which will basically never be good for shield tanking, primarily because they have almost no lowslots in addition to shield tanking bonuses. " -Iam Widdershins

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-08-17 17:32:35 UTC
Bill Serkoff2 wrote:
Aamrr wrote:

This reaaaaaaally needs a fix

Not really.

Makes 'em delicious targets for Nos.

Plus, y'know, the game would be broken if NPCs had to worry about Cap Stability.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Bill Serkoff2
Tachyon Technology
#9 - 2012-08-17 17:46:25 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Not really.

Makes 'em delicious targets for Nos.

Plus, y'know, the game would be broken if NPCs had to worry about Cap Stability.

B-but they already do anemic DPS, and their reps are garbage, so they probably have a lot of cap left over for the pool, right?

"The Cyclone and the Drake are two ships which will basically never be good for shield tanking, primarily because they have almost no lowslots in addition to shield tanking bonuses. " -Iam Widdershins

Ciba Lexlulu
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#10 - 2012-08-18 02:48:49 UTC
Well this means Cap Battery mod is a pure PVP only mod with limited use in PVE. And in PVP the fitting requirement and competition for scarce minds lot mean this modules will hardly ever be used. So much for CCP buffing it to see more use...Roll
Derath Ellecon
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-08-18 04:08:38 UTC
A question though. I know it reflects the effect back on the target. So while it doesnt have the benefit of capping out an NPC, wouldn't that reflected amount back still lower the amount of cap they neut from your ship?

So while not as cool of a benefit in PVP, it still helps defend your own cap?

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#12 - 2012-08-18 07:13:47 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
A question though. I know it reflects the effect back on the target. So while it doesnt have the benefit of capping out an NPC, wouldn't that reflected amount back still lower the amount of cap they neut from your ship?

So while not as cool of a benefit in PVP, it still helps defend your own cap?

In theory, yes. I still haven't had a chance to test it and haven't seen anyone else do so either.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-08-18 17:31:09 UTC
XxRTEKxX wrote:
wouldn't cap boosters be more effective? I usually just try to keep range on the them or have an alt supplying me with cap transfer.

Cap boosters use cap charges, another item for you to micromanage. If you enjoy micromanaging, then by all means, use the cap booster.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-08-18 18:39:12 UTC
Blood Raiders use vampires, not neutralizers. Look at the graphics. Red squiggly lines = vampire. That said while capacitor batteries may still provide some defense against this I don't see it being much protection here. The best protection is to destroy T2 cruisers fast and stay out of range of the few battleships that fit the modules.

On a side note it was my understanding that NPCs don't have "infinite" capacitor, merely that none of their "active" modules feed off of the small pool of capacitor that they're assigned. To my thinking them having "infinite capacitor" would make players using vampires against them extremely OP as even with current mechanics it would allow them to never run out of cap. With a small capacitor pool that nothing feeds off of it provides (small) benefits to players using vampires while still giving the NPCs unlimited energy.
feihcsiM
THE B0YS
#15 - 2012-08-19 11:14:56 UTC
In PVE the module is useless, with the possible exception of some lvl5 missions (and even then it would be way down the list of preferable mid slot modules).

As heavy neuting is probably the easiest way to take care of wormhole cap ships however I wouldn't be suprised to see them start fitting cap batteries for their neut-reflection properties.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.