These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] Existing destroyer rebalancing

First post
Author
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#161 - 2012-08-14 13:03:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Kuehnelt wrote:
Spugg Galdon wrote:
So how else does it perform with a 5% armour resist bonus and a 8/2/3 slot layout with the other proposed stats? (just out of curiousity. I'm at work and can't really start installing 3rd party stuff that isn't work related)

*shrug*, that takes more than 30 seconds.

But OK, a +5% resist bonus, including the proposed Winter changes, gives you 14k EHP (19k EM, 14k Thermal, 12k other) with a damage control, 400mm plate (which fits easily), EANM, and trimarks.

The TQ Coercer is better at everything but the EM resist with a similar fit (+1 EANM), but it's harder to fit.

I'd fly that. Even with a poor capacitor. At least you get propulsion & Tackle
Debir Achen
Makiriemi Holdings
#162 - 2012-08-14 13:05:37 UTC
I think there's a place for homogenisation, and a place for differentiation.

For example, every race needs an exploration frig, an fast tackle frig, a basic combat frig. Each race needs a decent PvE frig and cruiser. These are mandatory so new players don't get locked out by their racial choice.

Beyond that, I think differentiation is good - different races ships should fly quite differently. It's good for intermediate stuff like dessies, E-War ships, etc to be quite different. I think it's good that they have different strengths and require different tactics to do well. I don't want to see all four dessies being catalyst or thrasher but with a different (but identically functioning) weapon type.

Once we are at intermediate level, it's not that big an ask to re-train into another race's ships and guns. The core skills transfer, and the time to reach semi-decent isn't that long.

Aren't Caldari supposed to have a large signature?

Gabriel DiCozza
Alpha-Cephei
Lyrae Alliance
#163 - 2012-08-14 15:13:23 UTC
Coercer
I like the Coercer as is. I fit it full gank (heat sinks and tracking) in high sec for factional warfare. I carry middle modules in the cargohold to be able to switch. I attack everything under cruiser size and aim to kill it in less than 20 sec.
For this niche use of the ship, I do not feel the need for a change. A bit more of CPU (for better gank) would be neat and I would not spit on a smaller signature radius (to escape camps), though. In my case, the tank is gtfo before 20 sec have passed.
None ofthe Above
#164 - 2012-08-14 15:19:14 UTC  |  Edited by: None ofthe Above
CCP Ytterbium,

I like the direction you are going here, but I would like to point out something you may have missed.

In the frigate rebalance and tiercide, many -- particularly lower tier ships -- were boosted to come in line with the working useful tier 3 ships. The lower tier vessels had limited slot layouts that made them difficult to fit with enough utility to be worth flying.

Destroyers are essentially tier 1 ships that never had improved higher tier vessels introduced. Perhaps the Destroyer buff a way back could arguably put them on tier 2 status.

Anyway, I think you may want to consider across the board buffs, add 1 mid or low, because these guys are right when they complain about losing a mid on the Cormorant or a low on the Coercer. It is a very tight fit making these Destroyers worth flying, in the same way tier 1 frigates were in some cases. Add the slot, no need to move it. I think I would go with one more low for both the Catalyst and the Thrasher. (Makes the Thrasher flexible for armor or shield like many of the other Minnie ships.) Other possibility for the Cat might be to skip the slot and up the drones capacity and bandwidth to be able to fly a full wing of light scouts.

And as useful as the utility high is, not sure why the Cormorant can't have 8 turret hardpoints as well, particularly if you are introducing a missile destroyer in the same time frame.

While looking at new destroyers it may also be a good time to reconsider that Aegis proposal that I am sure you are familiar with. Ships with defensive capabilities for intercepting or otherwise mitigating incoming attacks.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.

Marcus Loon Black
Doomheim
#165 - 2012-08-14 15:47:55 UTC

Quote:
COERCER:

One medium slot is highly impractical for any kind of solo or even small gang fit and has been changed. Fittings also were quite low and should allow to squeeze medium pulse lasers, even medium beams with the module changes listed below.

Thank You

Love the ship , it is a powerful platform.. only problem was 1 Mid slot and rig space was used to equip ACR's just to power the Guns .. a skill intensive fit .. especially for a New Pilot when Destroyers would be ideally a step up from frigs. as far as the sig getting a little bump .. I dont see a problem it is a Bigger ship then a Frig and it would be drawing more Power to run its 8 GUNS so +4 to sig radius isn't something to worry about.
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#166 - 2012-08-15 01:30:03 UTC
None ofthe Above wrote:
CCP Ytterbium,

Destroyers are essentially tier 1 ships that never had improved higher tier vessels introduced. Perhaps the Destroyer buff a way back could arguably put them on tier 2 status.

Anyway, I think you may want to consider across the board buffs, add 1 mid or low, because these guys are right when they complain about losing a mid on the Cormorant or a low on the Coercer.

This is spot-on. The mids and lows are so gimped on the current hulls that their only combat use is really 'suicide gank' at this point. Drop the highs down to six slots if you like, but these hulls really could use 1 or 2 extra mid/low slots. The closest example is the tier 3 BC's - they've got a similar (though larger) role, 8 high slots and 8 slots divided amongst the lows and mids, yet they're hardly considered overpowered on defence.

Destroyers only have 5 slots in low/mid at the moment (FRIGATES GET MORE), consider bumping that up instead of just re-arranging them again.

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Tex Bloodhunter
SciFiCentral Explorations Inc.
#167 - 2012-08-15 02:54:45 UTC
When aiming for a role for the destroyers please be more specific. They are supposed to be anti-frigate ships. So why do they have so little tank when compared to frigs (also T2 variants). More damage but less tank doesn't make them solid frigate killers. Fights still are closer than they should be. At the end of the day destroyers are slow enough so that frigs should be able to avoid the fight. But when they get into the fight destroyers should really kick some frigate ass. That also includes some kind of robustness.

For comparison: A hurricane or a myrmidon (anti-cruiser role) usually doesn't need to be afraid of HACs since they have more DPS and more tank but sacrifice mobility. In a destroyer vs. assault ship the destroyers don't look too good in their anti-frig role. Most of the time (unless a highly specific trick fitting is used) they have lower/similar DPS, less tank and less mobility/range control. That just can't be right.

Also, taking away the Cormorants 4th med slot breaks the ship since all slots are needed to fit decent range control and tank.
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang
Doomheim
#168 - 2012-08-15 06:27:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Dr Sheng-Ji Yang
Up to here almost nobody is happy with these changes.
The answer why is simple. It is really hard work to get the other destroyers on par with the Thrasher. Minmatars have the best weapons, speed and so on.
Especially in fw Minmatar weapons are awesome. Example? Ever tried to kill minnies plexers with amarrian ships? They are perfectly tanked versus em and heat, that means vs lasers. So it is not that easy to shoot such a fast and perfectly tanked ship versus your laser weapons.
But when a minnie wants to shoot an amarr plexer it is much easier: The amarr plexer will be armored versus rats what means against kinetic and explosive, the minnie knows it and chooses heat ammo. Simple.
Another example? Arty Thrasher is awesome. Fast lock, really good damage and almost no cap usage. Coercer can do the same but maximum 2 minutes. LOL. With these changes Coercer can do the same for two minutes.
Seriously: To get the other three destroyers on par with Thrasher there are probably only two options: Give them one slot more than Thrasher or nerf artillery. I see no other option. The Thrasher is such an overpowered killing machine in comparison to the others that it can do really everything. I know people who have flown Coercer for months and swore never to fly a minnie ship.
Until yet these people spit and laugh about Coercer and fly the Thrasher.
This Minmatar dessie is simply toooooo overpowered in comparison to the others.

I repeat that there are probably only two options to get the other destroyers on par with Thrasher:
a) nerf artillery
or
b) give cormorant and catalyst an additional low or mid slot and give the coercer REALLY more cap or also another low slot.
The cap option would be the better one because even with an additional slot Coercer will faster run out of cap as you can imagine and is useless in larger fleet fights.

Edit: I forgot to mention one inportant issue. The Coercer is BY FAR the most expensive ship of all four dessies because it has always to take minimum 5mil isk in ammo to get all guns firing.
Kalaratiri
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#169 - 2012-08-15 10:29:03 UTC
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang wrote:
The answer why is simple. It is really hard work to get the other destroyers on par with the Thrasher. Minmatars have the best weapons, speed and so on.
Especially in fw Minmatar weapons are awesome. Example? Ever tried to kill minnies plexers with amarrian ships? They are perfectly tanked versus em and heat, that means vs lasers. So it is not that easy to shoot such a fast and perfectly tanked ship versus your laser weapons.
But when a minnie wants to shoot an amarr plexer it is much easier: The amarr plexer will be armored versus rats what means against kinetic and explosive, the minnie knows it and chooses heat ammo. Simple.
Another example? Arty Thrasher is awesome. Fast lock, really good damage and almost no cap usage. Coercer can do the same but maximum 2 minutes. LOL. With these changes Coercer can do the same for two minutes.
Seriously: To get the other three destroyers on par with Thrasher there are probably only two options: Give them one slot more than Thrasher or nerf artillery. I see no other option. The Thrasher is such an overpowered killing machine in comparison to the others that it can do really everything. I know people who have flown Coercer for months and swore never to fly a minnie ship.
Until yet these people spit and laugh about Coercer and fly the Thrasher.
This Minmatar dessie is simply toooooo overpowered in comparison to the others.

I repeat that there are probably only two options to get the other destroyers on par with Thrasher:
a) nerf artillery
or
b) give cormorant and catalyst an additional low or mid slot and give the coercer REALLY more cap or also another low slot.
The cap option would be the better one because even with an additional slot Coercer will faster run out of cap as you can imagine and is useless in larger fleet fights.

Edit: I forgot to mention one inportant issue. The Coercer is BY FAR the most expensive ship of all four dessies because it has always to take minimum 5mil isk in ammo to get all guns firing.

Not sure I agree with this at all.

Artillery is fine. If anything, it's worse than ACs with barrage.

Thrasher is, well, not exactly fine, but certainly not as rediculously OP as you are claiming. I've seen thrashers die to catalysts, rail corms and coercers. The coercers are usually nano/dps fit, and they beat the thrasher (if it doesn't just leave), because the only way for a thrasher to catch a speed coercer is to be shield tanked. And that makes it vulnerable to lasers.

But coercers are mostly bad and need another mid slot Big smile

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.

This is possibly one of the worst threads in the history of these forums.  - CCP Falcon

I don't remember when last time you said something that wasn't either dumb or absurd. - Diana Kim

Dr Sheng-Ji Yang
Doomheim
#170 - 2012-08-15 12:25:13 UTC
Quote:

Thrasher is, well, not exactly fine, but certainly not as rediculously OP as you are claiming. I've seen thrashers die to catalysts, rail corms and coercers. The coercers are usually nano/dps fit, and they beat the thrasher (if it doesn't just leave), because the only way for a thrasher to catch a speed coercer is to be shield tanked. And that makes it vulnerable to lasers.

Then you might explain me when Thrasher isn´t that much overpowered why I see Thrasher fleets consisting of six up to twelve and more Thrashers every day and never ever saw a catalyst, cormorant or coercer fleet?
Nagarythe Tinurandir
Einheit X-6
Ushra'Khan
#171 - 2012-08-15 13:09:26 UTC
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang wrote:
Quote:

Then you might explain me when Thrasher isn´t that much overpowered why I see Thrasher fleets consisting of six up to twelve and more Thrashers every day and never ever saw a catalyst, cormorant or coercer fleet?

first off all because balancing just started.
but also, because bittervets tend to push new players into training minmatar because there supposed to be winmatar.
the thrasher is a good and forgiving ship and when everyone tells you its the best, well lots of people end up flying the thrasher.
it certainly does not need a buff, but a mighty blow with the nerf bat would also be wrong. it will take some time to get people used to the idea that there are alternatives around.

lets just wait for this to get onto sisi and check out how it works.
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang
Doomheim
#172 - 2012-08-15 13:21:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Dr Sheng-Ji Yang
Quote:
but also, because bittervets tend to push new players into training minmatar because there supposed to be winmatar.
the thrasher is a good and forgiving ship and when everyone tells you its the best, well lots of people end up flying the thrasher.
it certainly does not need a buff, but a mighty blow with the nerf bat would also be wrong. it will take some time to get people used to the idea that there are alternatives around.

Well if this gets really into sisi and then in the game I should really better train minmatar ships. And yes most of Minmatar ships ARE winmatar. Before inferno best T1 frigate, best destroyer (by far), best T1 cruiser (rupture) and best bc (Hurricane). And no let us not talk about the drake. Everybody cries nerf the drake but hurricane is many times better and I wonder why everybody only cries because of the drake.
I will stay at it: Buff the others more or nerf Thrasher for example by nerfing artillery.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#173 - 2012-08-15 13:27:07 UTC
The biggest culprit for Thrasher dominance is it's damage bonus. None of the other destroyers have it. It effectively allows the Thrasher to field 8.75 turrets. There are only two ways to 'fix' this.

The first would be to cut all destroyers to seven turrets and swap out one bonus for a damage bonus. I made that suggestion earlier in this thread. Another way? Increase the Thrasher to eight turrets and swap its damage bonus for a falloff bonus. While this seems, like the Catalyst, unfocused, it allows the player to choose arty or AC per his/her play style. It also pulls the Thrasher back into line with the other destroyers.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#174 - 2012-08-15 13:40:15 UTC
Galphii wrote:
None ofthe Above wrote:
CCP Ytterbium,

Anyway, I think you may want to consider across the board buffs, add 1 mid or low, because these guys are right when they complain about losing a mid on the Cormorant or a low on the Coercer.

This is spot-on. The mids and lows are so gimped on the current hulls that their only combat use is really 'suicide gank' at this point. Drop the highs down to six slots if you like, but these hulls really could use 1 or 2 extra mid/low slots. The closest example is the tier 3 BC's - they've got a similar (though larger) role, 8 high slots and 8 slots divided amongst the lows and mids, yet they're hardly considered overpowered on defence.

Destroyers only have 5 slots in low/mid at the moment (FRIGATES GET MORE), consider bumping that up instead of just re-arranging them again.

A general frig has 10 slots all around

Dessies have around 13..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Nagarythe Tinurandir
Einheit X-6
Ushra'Khan
#175 - 2012-08-15 14:16:32 UTC
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang wrote:
Quote:

Well if this gets really into sisi and then in the game I should really better train minmatar ships. And yes most of Minmatar ships ARE winmatar. Before inferno best T1 frigate, best destroyer (by far), best T1 cruiser (rupture) and best bc (Hurricane). And no let us not talk about the drake. Everybody cries nerf the drake but hurricane is many times better and I wonder why everybody only cries because of the drake.
I will stay at it: Buff the others more or nerf Thrasher for example by nerfing artillery.

when this proposed changes hit sisi and people start testing, there will be another round of changes. when the thrasher seems to be chuck norris in a rusty coat, im sure there will be tweaks to correct that.
theorycrafting is nice but not everything. at this point we need to get out into the field.

stating the situation before inferno is not an accurate representation of the situation now nor can it be used to state whats going to come. for every ship you mentioned i can name one minmatar ship which is nearly never flown and percieved as utterly bad. so what.
much has changed since the beginning of crucible and "winmatar" has lost a lot of ground. which is good so one can fly again minmatar without getting ones accomplishments dismissed as minmatar op-ness.
the earlier people start to rid themself of this winmatar-expectation and - perception the better.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#176 - 2012-08-15 14:19:32 UTC
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang wrote:
I guess I would say that Coercer is already an awesome destroyer that simply doesn't have a point. With a point, it will be easily on par or better than the Thrasher over a wide range of situations.

The Cormorant will be the superior sniper ship, but nothing else. It used to be a great sniper and a good close range ship but removing the midslot hurt its abilty to control range.

The Catalyst will be the superior high sec ganker, but nothing else.

So, the wide range of destroyer roles will be filled mostly by Coercer/Thrasher, with two niches being filled by the Cormorant and the Catalyst.

Kuehnelt
Devoid Privateering
#177 - 2012-08-15 15:29:32 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
A general frig has 10 slots all around

Dessies have around 13..

-6 highslots.
100% damage bonus.
+1 slots to either mid or low.

Destroyers now merely have 11 slots vs. a frig's 10.

Did I fix it?
Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#178 - 2012-08-15 16:08:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
Nagarythe Tinurandir wrote:
much has changed since the beginning of crucible and "winmatar" has lost a lot of ground.

I would like to know what you're basing this assertion on. I've been following http://eve-kill.net/?a=top20 in the last six months and not much has actually changed in that timeframe.

Hybrids are slightly better represented while lasers are slightly worse represented. HMLs are still on top and projectile weapons make up the bulk as always.

Very few armor tankers as usual also.
Alticus C Bear
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#179 - 2012-08-15 16:14:51 UTC
Keep four mids on the Cormorant (I will post this every time)

Regarding the cat, still seems to lack range, flexibility and fittings.

How about introducing a damage bonus of 5% per level for the Falloff bonus, adjusting the DPS back down by only having 6 turrets (easier to fit), leaving two spare highs.

Swap one to a mid and leave one as a utility high (low would e nice but is probably overpowered), tweak cpu and prowergrid.

Then swap the role bonus of 50% optimal to 50% Falloff.
chatgris
Quantum Cats Syndicate
#180 - 2012-08-15 17:09:59 UTC
Dr Sheng-Ji Yang wrote:
Quote:

I run cormorant fleets regularly because they **** all over thrashers in plexes.