These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Noob question on EHP and damage done

Author
Cyprus Amaro
Tortuga Coalition 102
#1 - 2012-08-14 18:59:43 UTC
A corpmate of mine was ganked last night and I can't figure out how it worked. The Combat report lists less damage done than he has EHPs. He received 7,784 in damage yet his EHP is 8,930 against balanced damage and 9,070 against Anti-matter charges.

http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=17230529#lostLoadout

The other odd thing is that while it lists the damage from the second catalyst, it doesn't list the weapon type. I'm assuming it was another Neutron Blaster II.

So why did 7.8k in damage take out a ship with 9k of EHP? Raw HPs was only 6.9k.
James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#2 - 2012-08-14 19:11:54 UTC
Killboards don't list EHP-type damage done, only raw damage, which is less than EHP because it doesn't divide by resistances.
Ajit Kumar Bhattacharya
DEEP-13
#3 - 2012-08-14 19:15:56 UTC
Cyprus Amaro wrote:
A corpmate of mine was ganked last night and I can't figure out how it worked. The Combat report lists less damage done than he has EHPs. He received 7,784 in damage yet his EHP is 8,930 against balanced damage and 9,070 against Anti-matter charges.

http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=17230529#lostLoadout

The other odd thing is that while it lists the damage from the second catalyst, it doesn't list the weapon type. I'm assuming it was another Neutron Blaster II.

So why did 7.8k in damage take out a ship with 9k of EHP? Raw HPs was only 6.9k.

Maybe he had some damage from a rat that he killed and then got jumped ? Just a wild guess....

“How Earth-like? 'Temperate and able to sustain life' Earth-like or 'completely overrun with self-absorbed assholes' Earth-like?”

Nyreanya
Serenity Labs
#4 - 2012-08-14 19:16:47 UTC
As I understand it:

"Damage done" is the points of damaged actually inflicted. EHP is how much effective hitpoints you have, taking ship shield/armor/structure hitpoints and adding in resistance modifiers. So while your fitting might say "10k ehp", you may only have 8k actual hitpoints, which with resistances translates to 10k effective. Killmails only show how much damage was done. So say you have 20k shield, and I'm hitting you with thermal, for which you have a 50% resistance. The killmail will show I did 20k damage, even though I had to pound on you for 40 seconds with my 1k dps ship.

[/sarcasm]

Lilliana Stelles
#5 - 2012-08-14 19:23:04 UTC
It's raw damage.

Raw damage can exceed raw hp as your shields recharge or you recieve reps.

Not a forum alt. 

Cyprus Amaro
Tortuga Coalition 102
#6 - 2012-08-14 19:41:58 UTC
Nyreanya wrote:
As I understand it:

"Damage done" is the points of damaged actually inflicted. EHP is how much effective hitpoints you have, taking ship shield/armor/structure hitpoints and adding in resistance modifiers. So while your fitting might say "10k ehp", you may only have 8k actual hitpoints, which with resistances translates to 10k effective. Killmails only show how much damage was done. So say you have 20k shield, and I'm hitting you with thermal, for which you have a 50% resistance. The killmail will show I did 20k damage, even though I had to pound on you for 40 seconds with my 1k dps ship.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I understand now. The above makes perfect sense.

Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-08-14 19:46:38 UTC
think of it like this, damage done is the actual HP of your ship, if you have 1000 shield the killmail will list that as 1000 shield, but shields have resistance that reduce the damage incoming by a % ( except EM but whatever)

so lets say he had 3k shield, 2k armor and 5k hull his EHP might be something like 30k but any killmail or killboard will list it as 10k damage done.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#8 - 2012-08-14 19:47:25 UTC
In adition to the other replies:

Be aware that even EHP can be misleading.

The EVE fitting window uses your lowest resist for each layer to calculate EHP (default T1 EM for shields and EXP for armor).

EFT however uses your average resistances for each layer.

Your actual EHP will usually be in between these values, though it can be higher than EFT.

And none of this changes killmails, they don't care how much damage you resisted.