These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bringing Sniping Back, some ideas

Author
Gazmin VanBurin
Boma Bull Corp
#1 - 2012-08-13 16:38:02 UTC
So here are a few ideas i came up with that may make sniping a viable tactic again. These suggestions would change a few basic mechanics people are so used to, and people are scared of change, so I expect to get flamed a tad but ohwell.

First, change it so that you can only see objects/ships on grid as far as your ships targeting range, or if in a fleet the lock range of the ship in your fleet (on grid) with the longest lock range. If a ship is on grid with you but out side your sight range than your dscan will still show him as being say 250k away from you, so you will know there is someone on grid. It just wont be a instant (oh look snipers in that exact direction where I can see them) instant intel as soon as you jump in. I know this is space, and there is no cover, but being out of sight when sniping is kinda what snipers do, and this will be a great way to attack someone who doesn’t even know your there if they are careless and don’t check scanner properly.

Second, instant easy probers make snipers venerable to warp ins. to help with this i think the (warp to fleet mate) range should be extended to 200-250k, instead of its current 150k. this will still allow cloakys to get 200k away from you, in line with the enemy and you can warp to them at say 50, if the snipers are at 150k, but will take alittle more time to set up. making sniping range just the tiniest bit safer. Also if they come out with the micro jump drive, it may make it more useful, since its curent stats compete with warping to proby friends.

Also, who doesn’t want to have the feeling of sitting 200k off a gate in a few nagas, seeing a cain jump in, and knowing he doesn’t know exactly where you are, because he can only see about 75k, it will be way more satisfactory especially the panic part where they decloak and get hit with major volley out of no where, like real sniper shots should do.

Im open to sugestions and tweeks, tho remeber dont rage, CCP dosent like change anymore than you do.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-08-13 16:44:25 UTC
The main problem for sniping being a properly viable tactic, right now, is the speed with which you can probe down someone else on the same grid.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Gazmin VanBurin
Boma Bull Corp
#3 - 2012-08-13 16:53:27 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
The main problem for sniping being a properly viable tactic, right now, is the speed with which you can probe down someone else on the same grid.

I did mention that in the post, but dosent mean we cant look out side the box and fix some of the other thigns that could make sniping even better. Sniping right now dosent have the sniping feel at all, it feels more like your yelling at someone to look right at you then tossing a rock at them from across a street
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#4 - 2012-08-13 17:02:58 UTC

They need a projectable warp bubble that can interrupt any incoming warps :D

Where I am.

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-08-13 17:55:23 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:

They need a projectable warp bubble that can interrupt any incoming warps :D

They do. It's called a sabre.