These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Bookmarks: Re-Code Them

Author
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-08-02 00:08:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Ganthrithor
Why are bookmarks so difficult? Why can they only be copied five at a time? Why does it take 15 minutes to open a can full of them in space (while rendering that EVE client useless for the duration)? Why is it so difficult to deal with sets of coordinates in EVE online?

I think bookmarks should be totally re-done. At the very least, they need to be re-coded so that they can be efficiently manipulated in-game (copying more than 5 at a time, making them load like any other item, etc). At best, a total redesign of the bookmark system could be pretty excellent.

Why I can't send a set of coordinates between my ships when I feel like it (rather than decloaking (everyone knows copying coordinates on a computer can't be done while running modules), copying them to my cargohold five at a time, jet-canning them, opening a jet-can on other clients (each one taking approximately 3 evers to load the contents), drag the bookmarks to those clients' cargoholds (not from the can to your bookmarks folder because that would eliminate a step and make sense), and then drag them into the target clients' people and places (which takes another 2.5 evers and essentially freezes the client while it's doing it)) is beyond me.

EVE is an old game. Understand that I'm not making fun of the current system because I'm mad at my devbros-- I'm merely trying to point out how dated and clumsy it is. It would be super-duper-extra-cool if bookmarks could be changed into something that can be transmitted to other players. It makes zero sense that the only way to move bookmarks would be to make a physical item and move it to another ship via a series of boxes. Corp bookmarks were an awesome addition and have eliminated some of the pain of dealing with the bookmark system, but there's also a limit on how many of them you can create (making them viable for bookmarking strategic alliance assets but not for doing personal stuff) and they obviously don't work for people outside your corp.

It would be great to see a bookmark system where I could make bookmarks on one character and then send them to my other characters in some relatively quick and straightforward way that didn't freeze all my clients (or require them to be physically next to each other, for that matter). It would be even cooler if you could set up syncs between characters (so that people who multibox like I do can keep all their bookmarks up to date on all their guys in a fairly automated fashion).

Please please pretty please do something to make bookmarks less awful. It would make my spacelife better, and probably other people's as well! While I'm sure we would all miss the comfort and convenience of having physical bookmarks with which to direct our spacecraft and conveniently mark pages in our paper tomes, I'm sure some other object in EVE can be made to function in the latter role.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-08-02 00:13:33 UTC
Yes, please.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

I Mustache U
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-08-02 11:11:52 UTC
Bookmarks are well overdue for some love, not a little love A LOT OF LOVE.

Why can't we have a hot-key to push? You have the handy right click menu in space to interact with a pre saved bookmark but no quick way to create them.
PO OP
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-08-02 11:22:14 UTC
I Mustache U wrote:

Why can't we have a hot-key to push?.

OP-nice post even for a goon.

Also GIVE ME A BUTTON FOR MY MARKS!!!!!!!!
Misty Rockbell
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-08-02 11:24:47 UTC
I would love to hear some feedback from a dev on this. I would like to hope something is already happening with bookmarks.
Commander Biscuit
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-08-02 11:26:25 UTC
<3 <3 <3
Caneb
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-08-02 11:40:21 UTC
I support this product and/or service.
Birchales
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-08-02 11:44:29 UTC
I approve of this message
Richard Bong
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-08-02 11:47:22 UTC
This would make so many things so much easier. Please do this.

[ASK] Me about drive by thread shitting!

Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2012-08-02 23:53:06 UTC
Bumpu
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-08-03 05:40:33 UTC
Agreed with rewriting with focus on performance.

However I'm not sure I support instant transfer of BMs over the ether. Imagine a spy in your fleet, who can now make an enemy fleet (or as many enemy fleets as they want) warp right on top of you while completely undetectable. As it is now they would have to drop fleet for a few seconds to provide a warpin, and potentially not be allowed back in if your fleet is closed.

Either keep the current system with physical items, or introduce a delay in "wireless" propagation of bookmarks.
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2012-08-03 06:37:20 UTC
A slight delay would be fine.
Khan Noban
Stars in No Sky
Backward Time in a Strange Land
#13 - 2012-08-03 13:49:21 UTC
This is a great idea.

Bookmarks are so clunky at the moment, and the limit of 250 for larger corporations is bad.
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#14 - 2012-08-03 16:09:01 UTC
Bookmarks, since they were added to EVE, have had speed issues that are hard to get around. Sadly, adding folders to the server side added work to the process. There was a time when there was no limit to the amounts that were copied. The result? People copied hundreds of them at a time, eating server resources. A limit will always be needed.

Before any changes can be made, a lot of work needs to be done. My guess is that a total recode would be required. Simple optimization would be unlikely to give bookmarks the speed boost they need.

That said, I would think copies of bookmarks should be less needed since corp bookmarks came out. I still would not change anything until a recode was performed. There is enough lag as it stands.
Savage Breed
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-08-06 00:04:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Savage Breed
Ganthrithor wrote:
Why can they only be copied five at a time? Why does it take 15 minutes to open a can full of them in space …

Obsidiana wrote:
... Speed Issues ...

A little background: The big issue was that back in the day you could not warp to 0m. So pilots (primarily haulers) would make/purchase sets of bookmarks that would drop you out of warp on top of a gate/station/etc. The lag issues would happen when people would start to copy sets of a couple hundred or more to sell/give away. I remember a whole month where the server was nearly unusable and so that is why you can only copy five at a time, etc.

CCP successfully addressed this problem years ago and modifying the BM’s wasn’t the solution. I doubt they’d do the same thing now.

But I do like the idea of being able to pass a BM onto your fleet, but if we are worried about lag, perhaps if we limited this capability to someone defined by a new role in the fleet called scout (along with boss, booster, etc) who would broadcast a BM/target for the rest of the fleet to act upon

Also, I would like an option to be able to see my own and corp bookmarks in my overview.
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2012-08-06 21:34:04 UTC
I mean seriously though, what is in bookmarks that makes them take 30 seconds each to load? Shouldn't they just be a set of coordinates plus an identifier to say what system they're for?
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2012-08-13 04:42:54 UTC
Bump.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#18 - 2012-08-13 04:45:26 UTC
It would be really nice to have a setting where our Bookmarks would show up in space (and on the overview).
Via Shivon
#19 - 2012-08-14 14:12:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Via Shivon
free bump as its a problem and sucks not being able to use some content in eve...Twisted

let me rightclick a Folder with bookmarks to deactivate it, so i just can deactivate till im under 13.000 but not have to delete them...this cant be so hard...
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2012-08-23 12:07:56 UTC
I had to deal with another good ten minutes of bookmark making, canning, and loading today. Bump.
12Next page