These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question about resetting PI extraction cycles

Author
Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#1 - 2012-08-10 22:37:38 UTC
So I have a few characters running PI. Some of them are on the same planet and I believe overlap has happened over the richest spots.

Say I want to run 1 week cycles on the extractors, what is the best way to do it? Obviously I would like to reset all of them once a week, but will the first few characters penalize the others who overlap when I reset the timers?

Should I ideally reset characters that overlap at half-week intervals? (char 1 on Sunday AM and char 2 on Wednesday PM)

If yes, does this mean resetting PI timers as far away as possible from other player's resets work in my advantage?

I wonder if anyone has tested this or has a source where it is explained.
Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#2 - 2012-08-11 19:21:52 UTC
What the hell? Nobody has any idea?
Cobalt Sablestar Icefluxor
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-08-11 19:32:11 UTC
I'll bite.

You answered your own question. MOVE your characters around to different parts of the planet...or OTHER planets.

Obviously if they overlap you are doing nothing but nerfing each of their outputs. 1 day or 1 week...cycles do not matter....you have 2 pulling from the same extremely limited source.

Also......try the Science and Industry Forum for a quicker response.
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#4 - 2012-08-11 20:03:38 UTC
Imagine PI extraction as digging a hole, you have a limited amount of raw materials available on the planet and they replenish at a certain rate, set by CCP. If you dig out more than is being replenished then the amount of materials in a certain area will diminish quite a bit. With several characters digging in the same spot it compounds the issue, so as stated above, move the different characters' extractors to different parts of the planet if you find that the materials aren't replenishing as fast s you need them.

CCP have stated that there are enough materials on each planet to suppport a certain number of command centers, but only they know what those numbers are for sure, we have to guesstimate and use experience and trial and error to get an idea of how much is too much, or not as the case may be.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#5 - 2012-08-11 20:08:11 UTC
I understand the basics, the issue I have is:

Does it matter, when resource extraction overlaps, if I space out the resets as opposed to resetting them all at the same moment?
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-08-11 20:11:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Cobalt Sablestar Icefluxor
Thor Kerrigan wrote:
I understand the basics, the issue I have is:

Does it matter, when resource extraction overlaps, if I space out the resets as opposed to resetting them all at the same moment?

None of us feel like nerfing our own facilities just for experimental kicks. Try it yourself.

And.....why are you seemingly determined to ignore the above advice to move them around ? THAT'S what's really interesting.

edit: also, you do not have to move the Command Center.......just decommission and move everything else. Command Center "power" is "broadcast" anywhere on the planet.
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#7 - 2012-08-11 20:14:09 UTC
I suppose it may help to space out the reset points since you get a peak extraction rate that tails off over the time of the extraction period, so that might help the raws replenish enough for the next peak extraction rate when you reset the next set of extraction heads halfway through that cycle.

As I said the planets can support a certain number of pilots all using extractors and the likelyhood of two sets of extractors overlapping is probably quite high, especially when you can't see another pilot's ECUs, it might be just a case of try it and monitor how the raws diminish.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-08-11 20:17:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Cobalt Sablestar Icefluxor
Yeah. I doubled-up by accident early on, and the reduction in output was tremendous. staggered cycle times will make no difference. If they operate at all concurrently......they are operating and pulling concurrently. Makes no difference.

edit: I see no further discussion needed.

If you want to operate esoterically out of the norm in a nerfed-game mode, feel free to indulge in that to your heart's content.

Let US know the results.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#9 - 2012-08-11 23:29:10 UTC
I think this has been discussed in the past. I will leave search engines as an exercise for the reader.

Basically your toon's extractors will degrade the availability of raw materials around extraction sites. These regenerate over time, but they will never regenerate to the previous "maximum" levels. Instead new "maximum" level areas will be created on the planet - ie the allocation of resources is dynamic and it changes position over time. The more you mine in the same spot, the more you will deplete the resources in that area. Several toons mining in that spot will deplete it faster. So although the overall resources on the planet will regenerate to a pre-established level for that planet over time if left to "rest", the hot spots will always be different as a result of extraction.