These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can we please get a DEV response to the rampant Closed Socket Errors being reported?

Author
Sabren Bel
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-08-11 18:00:26 UTC
Weeks have now gone by and not a word from CCP in the Troubleshooting section of these forums on the growing number of players getting booted from the game with the closed socket error.

If you don't know how to fix it just tell us you don't know, but please don't ignore players screaming because they want to play the game and now can't.

Now could not be a better time for CCP to stick to the promise of better communication with its player base.
Herr Hammer Draken
#2 - 2012-08-11 18:04:59 UTC
So far a common theme seems to be emerging that many if not most of the players that have this problem are using a wireless wifi router. When they switch to a wired router it seems to solve the problem. Their in should lie the clue as to what is the cause.
Related to a wireless wifi.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#3 - 2012-08-11 18:33:42 UTC
i haven't had a single connection problem with eve that couldn't be traced to a local issue (ISP went down, wireless router locked up).. not that i have problems anymore because i have good hardware.

blame your ****** wireless router.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#4 - 2012-08-11 18:41:26 UTC
Denidil wrote:
That would make sense if it wasn't an issue that has suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and if different computers on the same router were all suffering from the same problem.

So no, it's not a router problem. It's the game doing something that trips up the OS' wifi connection.
ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
#5 - 2012-08-11 18:49:10 UTC
I get this problem every now and then, usally last up to a week before it passesSad

God knows why though, but as suggested by some in this thread, it has something to do with wifi, as it works when i use cabel.
Sadly though the problem doesnt affect all pc's connected to the wifi, just some.

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Shameless Avenger
Can Preachers of Kador
#6 - 2012-08-11 19:04:00 UTC
You got "Socketed".

"This is the Ninja. He will scan you down; he will salvage your wrecks and there shall be no aggro"

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
#7 - 2012-08-11 19:05:37 UTC
Shameless Avenger wrote:
You got "Socketed".

You sockP

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#8 - 2012-08-11 19:06:08 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Denidil wrote:
That would make sense if it wasn't an issue that has suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and if different computers on the same router were all suffering from the same problem.

So no, it's not a router problem. It's the game doing something that trips up the OS' wifi connection.

True, I haven't been seeing people complain about the socket thing until just recently, so it's game-related.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#9 - 2012-08-11 19:12:38 UTC
This is a pretty shocking misuse of the word rampant.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Cobalt Sablestar Icefluxor
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-08-11 19:36:26 UTC
Indeed:

ramp·ant/ˈrampənt/

Adjective:

1.(esp. of something unpleasant) Flourishing or spreading unchecked: "rampant inflation".
2.(of a person or activity) Violent or unrestrained in action or performance.

lol

Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#11 - 2012-08-11 20:22:01 UTC
There is a thread in the right forum with lots of dev responses, especially to people who posted specifics; not so much to people who are just provide accusations and technical responses like "it must be CCP".

I'm an American, English is my second language...

Charles Baker
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-08-11 20:43:09 UTC
Never happened to me ever, been using a Wireless WIFI since i started playing EVE (although i do have a fairly chunky network card+Antennae because i was getting socket issues in other things before EVE)
Ezekial Stone
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-08-14 18:50:27 UTC
I am also getting the error. I never crashed like this before the inferno updates. And it happens sometimes every 2 minutes and sometimes once a day. I was on a mining op last night and socket closed on me 4 times before i filled my Mack with ore. Then, last week, on another client, I was flying my Charon 5 jumps to Jita and socket closed so many times it took me 2 hours to get there. I'm beginning to question my wisdom in paying for 3 clients.
Horza Grob
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-08-14 19:15:19 UTC
Oddly,

I have been getting Socket closed Error ever since the 2nd Inferno patch. This error ONLY HAPPENS on my laptop, never my desktop (even running 3 clients). The error occurs on the laptop with a wired or wireless connection. Both laptop and desktop are wired to the same router and modem.

The only major difference between the two is the OS (although I am sure there are many smaller differences). Laptop has Windows 7 64bit and desktop Windows Vista. I am not sure if this is the cause, however.

I have switched routers several times and oddly the only router out of 3 seperate routers that does NOT have socket errors is an older Linksys WR54T (something like that). I am starting to wonder if it is bad network coding (not sure the proper term) with Windows 7 64bit to the newer off the shelf routers, probably some kind of port controls perhaps? And before you ask, yes I have played with the routers settings and windows 7 settings (firewalls, port blocking, port forwarding, etc) for hours trying to pin this down.

Someone once mentioned they downloaded a Windows 7 64bit Programers edition ??? (or something like that) that solved his problem as it has special coding to better handle network traffic???? Just what he told me as I have not tried to find that special edition of Windows 7.

So for now, I use the laptop for voice comms, maps, etc. but it would be nice to move 1 of my 3 clients onto the laptop if this can be resolved. Like I said the laptop worked perfectly for a year until the 2nd Inferno patch and now getting randomly timed socket closed errors ever since.

The laptop plays all other online games with absolutely no issues (as it always has), so I refuse to buy into CCP argument that they didn't change anything with Inferno that is now causing or escalating the issue.

I hope it can get resolved soon.
Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#15 - 2012-08-14 19:28:49 UTC
Herr Hammer Draken wrote:
So far a common theme seems to be emerging that many if not most of the players that have this problem are using a wireless wifi router. When they switch to a wired router it seems to solve the problem. Their in should lie the clue as to what is the cause.
Related to a wireless wifi.

I just started getting this the other day but i know its not a wifi issue for me as I use a wired connection. I did notice too that it coincides with a general flatline in my internet bandwidth. When I am browsing with firefox it will hang up at the same time that eve boots me.

As much as I would like to flame CCP for this I dont really think its their fault in my case. My grievance is with my ISP...
DatzSik
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-08-14 19:31:39 UTC
Nope! But Type40 should be here soon to lock the thread for speaking against master. I mean lack of content.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-08-14 20:05:06 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Denidil wrote:

this

after the patch I had lots of issues but the next day it seemed to be fine.
Gheyna
Hoover Inc.
#18 - 2012-08-14 20:57:58 UTC
i fixed my connection issues by getting a router (mine was 4 years old)