These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

so my machine suddenly rebooted while playing and now ...

Author
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#21 - 2012-08-09 22:53:38 UTC
Why did your sys reboot? Could be as simple as bad sectors.

chkdsk /f /r

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Frying Doom
#22 - 2012-08-09 22:56:54 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
El Cid Campeador wrote:
not to be an ass, but GD isnt the place, this is https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=272

I understand that, but i don't want to wait a week for an answer ...

Anywhere else I would say "With an Ego like that and such a sense of self entitlement, have you ever considered becoming an EvE Online player"

But you are already hereLol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#23 - 2012-08-09 22:59:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
May help backing-up (also handy for cloning settings to all your characters and accounts):

Locating the files: http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=371

core_char_*.dat (the numbers are the character ID)
core_user_*.dat (the numbers are the account ID)

Only EASY way I know to figure out the character IDs is to look at the EVEmon settings file (XML) for < characterID >
Lord Arakkis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-08-10 01:29:00 UTC
I love forums. So much passive aggressive wannabe mod doucebag dorkiness...sheesh.

Your still a child in the eyes of the universe

Desmont McCallock
#25 - 2012-08-10 12:08:19 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
May help backing-up (also handy for cloning settings to all your characters and accounts):

Locating the files: http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=371

core_char_*.dat (the numbers are the character ID)
core_user_*.dat (the numbers are the account ID)

Only EASY way I know to figure out the character IDs is to look at the EVEmon settings file (XML) for < characterID >

Finding character ID in EVEMon: File>Manage API keys>Characters tab, ID column
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-08-10 16:22:53 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Why did your sys reboot? Could be as simple as bad sectors.

chkdsk /f /r

I really have *no* idea. It's a brand new machine, three weeks old.
What's odd is the fact that, at the exact same time, the repeatingly occuring router-problem happened.
As in ... i can do anything, except playing EvE, because it keeps showing Status: Unknown until i unplug the router.

Lady Spank wrote:
Quite often when the client hiccups and next login demands agreeing to the eula, i just close the client and try again and it's often 'remembered' my settings.

That's odd, i don't recall having to sign the EULA again ... but thanks for the notice, i'll remember it !

Okay, the .dat files are important to keep ... thanks !
(really ? my overview settings, window positions etc are in there? some guy said it was an xml, but i didn't find any)
(well ... that could be the reason why my settings got lost ... because there were none anymore lol)

Thank you guys !

And regarding the self entitlement ... this isn't exactly an issue where it makes sense to have to wait for an answer long
enough so that i could even re-do all my settings myself, making a thread obsolete.

But maybe things have changed in the Issues-forum ...
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#27 - 2012-08-10 16:27:48 UTC

Don't listen to the helpful people, they're trying to confuse you.

Go to the appropriate board and you'll get help even faster.

Roll

Where I am.

Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#28 - 2012-08-10 16:31:09 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
[
(really ? my overview settings, window positions etc are in there? some guy said it was an xml, but i didn't find any)
(well ... that could be the reason why my settings got lost ... because there were none anymore lol)

Overview settings files and stuff like screen shots are found in the EVE folder under My Documents, easy enough to find. If you don't already have an Overview folder in there, which you should if you had any saved out, just create it and if you don't have any already exported find some that you can use and just drop em into that folder to be able to import them into the game.

I have a set of overview profiles that I created and posted on our forum, see if those work to get you started.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2012-08-10 16:41:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Virgil Travis wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
[

Overview settings files and stuff like screen shots are found in the EVE folder under My Documents, easy enough to find. If you don't already have an Overview folder in there, which you should if you had any saved out, just create it and if you don't have any already exported find some that you can use and just drop em into that folder to be able to import them into the game.

I have a set of overview profiles that I created and posted on our forum, see if those work to get you started.

Thank you for your offer, but i already started remaking mine.

Btw, the only folders i've EVER seen in My Documents/EVE/ are: capture, fittings, logs.

I have *no* idea what folder you are talking about.

Edit: Do you mean to say i need to export the overview settings to create such a folder ? Never did that.
But ... NOW is a GREAT moment to start ... XD
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2012-08-10 16:58:51 UTC
AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN !
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#31 - 2012-08-10 17:03:53 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Virgil Travis wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
[

Thank you for your offer, but i already started remaking mine.

Btw, the only folders i've EVER seen in My Documents/EVE/ are: capture, fittings, logs.

I have *no* idea what folder you are talking about.

Edit: Do you mean to say i need to export the overview settings to create such a folder ? Never did that.
But ... NOW is a GREAT moment to start ... XD

It will happen automatically if you export any overview settings, or you can just create the folder yourself and call it Overview. The folders in the My Documents/EVE are only created when you do something to generate them, like take a screenie, save a fitting, etc.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-08-10 17:05:48 UTC
My settings weren't lost this time, at least ...
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2012-08-10 17:06:20 UTC
Virgil Travis wrote:
(saving space)

Thanks !
Maledictum Aideron
In Praise of Bacchus
#34 - 2012-08-10 18:02:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Maledictum Aideron
You can also copy the settings into a personal folder in My Documents (or anywhere you want) in case those in the default folder become corrupted(or wiped). I've experienced this twice this year during power outages and also a couple times during that outbreak of video driver failcascades a while back with NVidia drivers.
ColdCutz
Frigonometry
#35 - 2012-08-10 18:43:26 UTC
It's possible that Windows 7 is forcing a restart after it install updates in the background. This is the default action for that operating system, for which the developer of that "feature" should be shot - or at least not allowed anywhere near the IT industry again.

Also to expound of the help everyone else has already given, the overview data is located the the settings folder under

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE\{game_installation_folder}\

you probably have multiple folders with the game installation path since your overview settings appeared to be wiped (EVE created a new {game_installation_folder} with the a new overview. The one with your original overview data should be the oldest.
Syler Puuntai
Nomadic Asylum
#36 - 2012-08-10 18:48:51 UTC
Another easy way to find you charid is to right click your portrait on these forums and open image in new tab/window or save img. The string of numbers before _128 is your userid. Yours for example is 688798363
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2012-08-10 20:21:38 UTC
ColdCutz wrote:
It's possible that Windows 7 is forcing a restart after it install updates in the background. This is the default action for that operating system, for which the developer of that "feature" should be shot - or at least not allowed anywhere near the IT industry again.

Also to expound of the help everyone else has already given, the overview data is located the the settings folder under

you probably have multiple folders with the game installation path since your overview settings appeared to be wiped (EVE created a new {game_installation_folder} with the a new overview. The one with your original overview data should be the oldest.

I thought about this, but it's set to do at a specific time ... and it wasn't that time. Thank you for the idea though.

Btw ... i fail to realize why i need my char_id, when i just can copy everything.

I had a crash again today but at least my settings didn't get deleted.

It's odd that nvidia drives get mentioned. I've switched from an ATI-notebook to an nvidia one ... hm.
Maledictum Aideron
In Praise of Bacchus
#38 - 2012-08-10 20:42:45 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
ColdCutz wrote:

I thought about this, but it's set to do at a specific time ... and it wasn't that time. Thank you for the idea though.

Btw ... i fail to realize why i need my char_id, when i just can copy everything.

It's odd that nvidia drives get mentioned. I've switched from an ATI-notebook to an nvidia one ... hm.

I'd check the NVidia forums to see if others report problems with your current driver. Often my computer would reboot without me being able to see any error messages. Are you getting any strange effects visually before the crash? Pink or glittery screen? Ship or gate effects turning white? Those were the typical reports and the things I would often experience before crashes.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2012-08-10 21:34:11 UTC
Maledictum Aideron wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
ColdCutz wrote:

I'd check the NVidia forums to see if others report problems with your current driver. Often my computer would reboot without me being able to see any error messages. Are you getting any strange effects visually before the crash? Pink or glittery screen? Ship or gate effects turning white? Those were the typical reports and the things I would often experience before crashes.

I remember these issues but they were client-related, because it didn't clean up videoram properly.
I had no issues regarding this for a while now and don't think it's that.

Will check because of the drivers ... but it seems nvidia drivers are really good.
At least compared to ATI ... wow ... it's sooo much better with nvidia now !
Arakasi Sokarad
The Alliance of the Invisible Hand University
#40 - 2012-08-12 17:29:56 UTC
What's your System Specs?
Previous page123Next page