These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Speculative ideas on the typhoon future

Author
Seishi Maru
doMAL S.A.
#1 - 2012-08-10 10:30:15 UTC
Hello, as some may have read in CSM minutes , CCP is thinking in makign typhoon a target painting torpedo boat in future.

I passed some time thinking and want to see what the community feels would be a balanced yet useful ship...

My personal Idea is that TPainters are a type of ewar that does not escalate well, more than 3 in a fleet and you are wasting.. vigils can already do that work with 3-4 noobs. So how to make it useful in a battleship?

For starters I think a typhoon would need to have a 10% per level TP bonus a 5% torpedo rof bonus 6 lanuchers 7 utility high 5 mids (since now is a ewar boat as well) 7 lows and exalty same drones as it has now.

Remember the idea is that the earlier we discuss CALMLY ideas for ships we know will change the less likely we will end up with a 95% already decided Idea in future presented to us but that we perceive to be horrible,

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#2 - 2012-08-10 10:54:34 UTC
CCP needs to fix torps and cruise missiles first.
Uris Vitgar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-08-10 11:10:06 UTC
I love the typhoon for it's enormous versatility, for the fact that your enemies haven't got a clue how you're going to fit it. To me it's not even a missile boat at all, but a half drone half AC boat with lots of utility slots, and target painters don't feature there. Maybe some sort of web bonus would fit better?
Nagarythe Tinurandir
Einheit X-6
Ushra'Khan
#4 - 2012-08-10 12:41:12 UTC
Uris Vitgar wrote:
I love the typhoon for it's enormous versatility, for the fact that your enemies haven't got a clue how you're going to fit it. To me it's not even a missile boat at all, but a half drone half AC boat with lots of utility slots, and target painters don't feature there. Maybe some sort of web bonus would fit better?

i also like the versatility of the typhoon. but i think its possibleto make it a even bigger wild card.
maybe allow it to fit split damage missiles and projectiles or fully missile or fully projectile or fully utility (with drones)
and give a bonus which can conplement all of that but not a weapon bonus. not really sure about that (tank, speed, web, maybe propulsion mod duration, maybe a bonus for the resi shifting hardener?)
balancing should be done with fitting. leave enough space for some interesting fittings but put some restriction onto that boat.
the typhoon wouldnt hit as hard as it does now, but thats ok i guess because right now its a thick brick and packs some serious punch while still have nasty tricks up the sleeve.
Seishi Maru
doMAL S.A.
#5 - 2012-08-10 15:06:23 UTC
Paikis wrote:

The same minutes state that they aknowledge that cruise missiles need to be fixed.
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-08-10 16:48:52 UTC
Paikis wrote:

CCP needs to "fix" a lot of things but right now, it is most likely redundant to reiterate that right now.

As for the Typhoon, it is by far my favorite of the Battleships. I could care less about dmg and all the mainstream crap as it is by far a ship that truly isnt that predictable as other others.
That said, that brings me to the point that I'm not a fan of this "Torp/Painter" intention. Painting should be a job for cruisers and below; Vigil, Bellicose and their T2 variants.

The Torp-facemelter intention sounds great in terms of dealing damage but dep-down I find it doesn't fit the typhoon well. If I wante to be that torp-focused, I'd be going for a Raven; and I don't think it is a good idea to make some sort of Raven jr.

Ewar or something other than RoF/dmg is a good thing. I'm just not fond with yet-another-painting boat.

If we were to only have a choice of the support ewar other than painting, then I would choose Sensor Links range and magnitude bonus. it would at least give it a slight raise on "buddy support".
paint bonus may sound great but in the end, the target actually needs to be slowed down by webbing. Lets not forget that "everybody" is using MWD as a standard (ymmv)

I know tracking links isn't much of a help but there has to be more diversity and not just dmgdmgdmg.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-08-10 16:58:08 UTC
Deena Amaj wrote:
Paikis wrote:

CCP needs to "fix" a lot of things but right now, it is most likely redundant to reiterate that right now.

As for the Typhoon, it is by far my favorite of the Battleships. I could care less about dmg and all the mainstream crap as it is by far a ship that truly isnt that predictable as other others.
That said, that brings me to the point that I'm not a fan of this "Torp/Painter" intention. Painting should be a job for cruisers and below; Vigil, Bellicose and their T2 variants.

The Torp-facemelter intention sounds great in terms of dealing damage but dep-down I find it doesn't fit the typhoon well. If I wante to be that torp-focused, I'd be going for a Raven; and I don't think it is a good idea to make some sort of Raven jr.

Ewar or something other than RoF/dmg is a good thing. I'm just not fond with yet-another-painting boat.

If we were to only have a choice of the support ewar other than painting, then I would choose Sensor Links range and magnitude bonus. it would at least give it a slight raise on "buddy support".
paint bonus may sound great but in the end, the target actually needs to be slowed down by webbing. Lets not forget that "everybody" is using MWD as a standard (ymmv)

I know tracking links isn't much of a help but there has to be more diversity and not just dmgdmgdmg.

The problem with a torp PVP ship is that you practically HAVE to have dual webs and a TP to effectively melt people.

So with the Phoon having 4 mids, its hard. Making it five helps. But even with five, your fit would need to be MWD, TP, Web, Web, Point.

Not to mention that then with a slot layout of 8/5/7 makes it VERY versatile, able to fit gank and tank and utility...might be much...

Now, If ships that are intended to be Torp PVP fits, then they should get a web bonus as well so that you don't have to use dual webs. Or, Torp explosion velocity needs a buff.

I think as was stated earlier, if you want to make the torp boats viable, you gotta fix torps first.
Seishi Maru
doMAL S.A.
#8 - 2012-08-10 18:38:09 UTC
I dont think torps are that bad. As long as target painting woould be boosted enough. Somethign like a 10% or even if possible 12.5% TP bonus per level would be enough to make it hit BC massively hard.
Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-08-10 18:42:37 UTC
Seishi Maru wrote:
I dont think torps are that bad. As long as target painting woould be boosted enough. Somethign like a 10% or even if possible 12.5% TP bonus per level would be enough to make it hit BC massively hard.

If the BC is slow....

which most of them are not particularly....relatively speaking.
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-08-10 19:04:22 UTC
Quote:
The problem with a torp PVP ship is that you practically HAVE to have dual webs and a TP to effectively melt people.

So with the Phoon having 4 mids, its hard. Making it five helps. But even with five, your fit would need to be MWD, TP, Web, Web, Point.

Not to mention that then with a slot layout of 8/5/7 makes it VERY versatile, able to fit gank and tank and utility...might be much...

Now, If ships that are intended to be Torp PVP fits, then they should get a web bonus as well so that you don't have to use dual webs. Or, Torp explosion velocity needs a buff.

I think as was stated earlier, if you want to make the torp boats viable, you gotta fix torps first.

Missed my point a bit. I know what you mean, but allow me to emphasize on what I meant - my bad btw for not being thorough. I do not want to complicate things but I do find it necessary to explain a bit more .

To make it short in TL;DR form:
My sole point is that the dependancy for support should still remain.
Typhoon is a jack of all trades that should not excel that majorly in a task. Of course, we cannot deny CCP's intention that easily, but I find it is the wrong way to go to give the Phoon such an ability.

But don't take me wrong either.
I'm a Torphoonerd myself, but I find this Painting bonus would just make things too awesome.
The Turret RoF bonus doesn't really help of course in that case, so I know I'd be shooting myself in the foot to say that having a TP bonus is bad.
It can stay. It's just that I'd rather want a different bonus and still have the need for buddies to paint and/or web for me.

*Semi-Long version

Thing is that we do not know what principle CCP would want to follow.
We do not know if it is:

A) Give the ships whatever awesomeness or direct focus bonuses on a given task
or
B) Give them only a bit so that they require help (aka support) from Support ships like Painters; Vigil, Bellicose etc

and a possible C) if the Lore would follow the "realism" philosophy of not being able to do everything possible or simply having Republic Fleet state "dude, our torp-phoons are awesome" and give them all the beef they want.

Alright, the recent CSM states there is some intention of giving the Typhoon a Torp + Painter bonus.
That would be A) - As an example, we have the Caracle that has both of its shipbonuses related to a specific subject; a dmg buff for missiles - and a missile velocity bonus for range etc. There are other ships that have that dual'ity, like Hurricane with the prominent Rate of Fire + Damage beef.

Personally, I'm not a fan of that.
Aside to that: For many people, "Fixing Torps" would just equal giving them more range, more speed, more explosion velocity, smaller explosion radius etc. Unfortunately, there is a thin line between balance and "fixing".

And there has to be a trade off somehow so that the torps are not just an I-WIN or that much superior over other weapon systems. It would be naive to say Torpedoes are fine, but as far as the need "to get a fix" - I think that is not that necessary at this point. And as one could easily say "There are other things to fix than stupid torps/cruise missiles".

It is probably more of another topic, but I really think we need (yet another) thread about how to fix Torps/cruiser Missiles - if it is really that big of a deal.

Personally, I am and I'd prefer the B) variant.
Phoon has Torps but not the essential webbing/TP to up the damage to oblivion.
Okay, taking it realistically, the Phoon would either have this TP bonus or the Webbing; but I seriously doubt that the webbing would happen as webbing is a very powerful crowd-control tool (even in its nerfed state).

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Arriaa
AirHogs
Hogs Collective
#11 - 2012-08-10 19:36:58 UTC
me personally, i always found the typhoon to be a nano style battleship, a one of a kinda, it would make the minmatar race fit well, with the rapier, vagabond, huginn and the speedy nano cane, this race is so strong with speed...

the typhoon itself already has a decent speed, why not make it stronger? give it a bonus to say webs, like previously suggested, but also give it lower sig radius aswell as a boost to agility and max speed

this boat can put out a nice round 900-1000 dps if nano fitted, sounds crazy, but it is one of the very few battleships that can manage it

the typhoon has been cast aside since the nano nerf, it is time to bring it back, even if it is to just bump capitals of stations =P
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#12 - 2012-08-10 19:49:51 UTC
I think the Breacher should get a TP bonus over the Vigil. Furthermore, I think that Minmatar should get TDs since they are the speed race.
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-08-10 21:57:25 UTC
Obsidiana wrote:
I think the Breacher should get a TP bonus over the Vigil. Furthermore, I think that Minmatar should get TDs since they are the speed race.

Post it in the sticky "Disruption Frigate" thread :D if you haven't already.

confirthisposmed

Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-08-10 23:33:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Loius Woo
The only evidence that needs to be looked at in order to know that torps are broken is this:

Who uses a torp fit ship for PvP?

Anyone? Ill wait...

Meanwhile, I like the Phoon for exactly the reason that no one knows how its fit when they see it running around. It can be fast and deadly and people often don't know what to expect. I would like to see it fixed to be more viable for solo/small gang pvp while maintaining that "x-factor" that people don't know what to expect.
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#15 - 2012-08-11 04:51:06 UTC
Deena Amaj wrote:
Obsidiana wrote:
Post it in the sticky "Disruption Frigate" thread :D if you haven't already.
Already done. That link takes you to my post on it. 8)

Quote:
The only evidence that needs to be looked at in order to know that torps are broken is this:

Who uses a torp fit ship for PvP?

Anyone? Ill wait...

Meanwhile, I like the Phoon for exactly the reason that no one knows how its fit when they see it running around. It can be fast and deadly and people often don't know what to expect. I would like to see it fixed to be more viable for solo/small gang pvp while maintaining that "x-factor" that people don't know what to expect.
Split weapons are going. It is one of the most common complaints about anything in EVE. The X-factor is nice, but it also means it doesn't do anything well. Missiles are going to be the official secondary of the Minmatar. The TP should help it do more damage to smaller targets.

As for PvP, it's been long awhile, but I used a torp fit damage assist Raven out in 0.0 (if I count). I'm Caldari, so damage assist was about all I could do. As far as BSs go, it's about all I had to work with, but torps can do a lot of damage while out-ranging an opponent.
Goremageddon Box
Guerrilla Flotilla
#16 - 2012-08-11 07:50:56 UTC
Uris Vitgar wrote:

I agree. Dont phuck with the phoon
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-08-12 18:43:27 UTC
Obsidiana wrote:
That link takes you to my post on it. 8)

Awesome. I posted there too about it, because I think you're right about it. Breacher is a focused missile frigate.
And

Quote:

Anyone? Ill wait...

Split weapons are going. It is one of the most common complaints about anything in EVE. The X-factor is nice, but it also means it doesn't do anything well. Missiles are going to be the official secondary of the Minmatar. The TP should help it do more damage to smaller targets.

As for PvP, it's been long awhile, but I used a torp fit damage assist Raven out in 0.0 (if I count). I'm Caldari, so damage assist was about all I could do. As far as BSs go, it's about all I had to work with, but torps can do a lot of damage while out-ranging an opponent.[/quote]

Yeah.

Split Weapons policy is a doubled-edge sword/knife.
Let's not forget that the Phoon had a long time a 4/4 turrets and missile hardpoint layout; and not the 5/5 like it is now.

I just don't like that it is becoming too focused on something. Hell, even the description of it fits just perfectly.
But assuming that everybody wants to have some badass pwnage ship, we must simply accept that it is "broken".

As somebody said about dual webbing, it ikst bugs me is that TP bonus won't really do that much as it is the webbing that lets you do the damage. Without the webbing, you can paint all you want if the ship is fast.
That is fine though in terms of game play.

Not to say that the Phoon should get a webbing bonus instead, but TP just sucks in my eyes. It should remain a special for Vigil and Bellicose. Ironically, I'm bitchy about Vigil's dual TP bonus because CCP is putting them as "Disruption" frigates, but TP'ing is not really "Disruption".

Anyways, I'm derailing.

If it is to be about dmg and making Phoon a mainstream ship, then Torp Missile Explosion velocity or stuff like that might be better.

confirthisposmed

Sinzor Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#18 - 2012-08-12 19:43:05 UTC
Typhoon is fine.
Go fix something that is broken, CCP.
Obsidiana
Atrament Inc.
#19 - 2012-08-13 06:42:15 UTC
TP bonus has worked well for the Golem. Consider it a test ship, and the Typhoon would out damage it with normal ammo. Range is an issue, but there are three spots for rigs, skills, and T2 ammo for that.

If you look at CNR setups, a TP is nice to have. Also, VENGA uses TP on PVP fit SBs. So they are valuable in both PvE and PvP. With delayed damage a major complaint in missile PvP (and incursions), short range might be better.

VENGA PvP fittings as advertised in their Bombers Bar channel (each w/ TP):
Hound - Manticore - Nemesis - Purifier

Btw, if anyone needs a long range web bonus, it is the Caldari. The slowness keeps them from using the range.