These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

so my machine suddenly rebooted while playing and now ...

Author
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-08-09 20:09:40 UTC
... all my settings seem to have vanished.

Anybody here can tell me if there's a backup of them somewhere ?
Some way i can find my old settings again ?

Like ... window positions, overviews, chats, etc ...

Anybody ?

Thanks !
El Cid Campeador
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-08-09 20:11:50 UTC
not to be an ass, but GD isnt the place, this is https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=272
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-08-09 20:13:30 UTC
El Cid Campeador wrote:
not to be an ass, but GD isnt the place, this is https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=272

I understand that, but i don't want to wait a week for an answer ...
El Cid Campeador
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-08-09 20:16:07 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
El Cid Campeador wrote:

I dont make the rules, I dont even enforce em. Just letting you know incase a mod comes in and swoops up your thread :) anyways, no idea what happened with that best of luck to get it all corrected.
LuNaRiAn SeRpEnT
Frontier Acquisitions
#5 - 2012-08-09 20:17:58 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
El Cid Campeador wrote:

So you feel like you are somehow entitled to circumvent the rules simply because you do not want to follow the same process everyone else has to follow?
Anslo
Scope Works
#6 - 2012-08-09 20:19:59 UTC
LuNaRiAn SeRpEnT wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
El Cid Campeador wrote:

So you feel like you are somehow entitled to circumvent the rules simply because you do not want to follow the same process everyone else has to follow?

Don't be a ****, it's not like GD has any ground breaking super important high quality threads anyway.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Pankas Carter
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-08-09 20:22:05 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
El Cid Campeador wrote:

... and you think posting it here is going to make that happen any faster?

Adama: Starbuck, what do you hear? Starbuck: Nothing but the rain. Adama: Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#8 - 2012-08-09 20:23:31 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

Anybody ?

Thanks !

Probably you'll have to do them all over again, sorry. I know how annoying that can be.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#9 - 2012-08-09 20:24:46 UTC
For future reference, is there any way to back the UI up and save the settings in case this happens to me?

Not today spaghetti.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-08-09 20:27:04 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
For future reference, is there any way to back the UI up and save the settings in case this happens to me?

That'd be great to know !
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#11 - 2012-08-09 20:35:34 UTC
LuNaRiAn SeRpEnT wrote:

Of course he does. Just like the guy cutting in front of you in a traffic jam. Depending on where you live everyone does this, so it turns a normal intersection into a nightmare. Self-fulfilling prophecy - I will cut in line to avoid traffic, which creates the traffic in the first place.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-08-09 20:38:00 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
LuNaRiAn SeRpEnT wrote:

Of course he does. Just like the guy cutting in front of you in a traffic jam. Depending on where you live everyone does this, so it turns a normal intersection into a nightmare. Self-fulfilling prophecy - I will cut in line to avoid traffic, which creates the traffic in the first place.
You should look into the mirror. :)
(also: grats to that stupid analogy)
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#13 - 2012-08-09 20:43:14 UTC
Sure… on the TimeMachine disk. P
Blue Harrier
#14 - 2012-08-09 21:23:32 UTC
To try and help you Blink

This assumes you are using Windows 7 but you can find some settings in similar places in XP;

Most of the game settings like your user login details and the cache files are found here;

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE

Note AppData is a hidden folder so you can either turn on hidden folders or type in the path directly to find it.

Your overview settings are stored in xml format in an Eve folder in your My Documents folder.

The xml files can be edited if they are corrupt (I use Notepad++ to edit them if required). Your logs, personal saved fittings and such like are also here.

Hope you find your files ok.

"You wait - time passes, Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold." from The Hobbit on ZX Spectrum 1982.

Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#15 - 2012-08-09 21:23:49 UTC
You should find your settings folder in

C:\Users\[Computer Name]\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE

There you should see a folder with the name that is the same as the path of your EVE TQ install. You may have to rename it if it's gotten messed up.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Spurty
#16 - 2012-08-09 21:51:30 UTC
%appdata%\ccp\eve\yaddayadda

Probably corrupted file there though. I can sell you a new overview for 5 mill ISK ;-)

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#17 - 2012-08-09 21:54:36 UTC
Spurty wrote:
%appdata%\ccp\eve\yaddayadda

Probably corrupted file there though. I can sell you a new overview for 5 mill ISK ;-)

It's ok, the overview importable files are in My Documents Lol

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Kate Stenton
Foundation Enterprises
#18 - 2012-08-09 22:13:37 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

Anybody ?

Thanks !

Like other people have mentioned, most of your settings are saved in "%localappdata%\ccp\EVE" if you're using Windows7. Hopefully you are.

Navigate to that location in Windows Explorer and right-click in an empty area in the folder (so... not on an icon). Click Properties and then click "Previous Versions" tab. Wait a bit for it to load, and hopefully you will have incremental backups of that location for up to 6 weeks.

Double-click on an entry that predates your crash and then copy your old settings from the backup to the settings folder. You can restore single files or the whole folder at once.

Good luck.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-08-09 22:38:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Thanks for your help !

There's a .yaml file there ... but that doesn't seem related.
There are a few .dat files, but not in ASCII.

There are no previous versions saved for that folder ...

Oh well ... no luck i guess ....

Thanks everybody !!
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#20 - 2012-08-09 22:50:54 UTC
Quite often when the client hiccups and next login demands agreeing to the eula, i just close the client and try again and it's often 'remembered' my settings.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

123Next page