These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

ASB is BULL.

First post
Author
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#341 - 2012-08-09 14:48:51 UTC
Congratulations, you learned not to shoot at one of the most powerful tankers in the game.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Gallladorn
#342 - 2012-08-09 15:13:14 UTC
2 nos 1 neut and a TP on a bhaalgorn??? dude that thing shouldnt even undock at the first place..

a well tanked rattler can tank you easily without the ASB if you dont neut it... if you keep neuting him, his hardeners will go off sometime and he will have to use more cap boosters.. and it takes 60 sec to to reload the thing, in the mean time, thats your shot to kill it and you can do it as long as you neut him enough to keep his hardeners down

if you insist on using nos, then make your tank active.. even with a **** active tank you can tank him long enough to kill him when he runs out of boosters
Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#343 - 2012-08-09 15:54:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrett
Seishi Maru wrote:
Captain Nares wrote:
Yes, currently ASB are bs. ASB need a tweak.

Also I don't understand why do we (or game) need them. You can't add any module you want just coz you want, right? Traditional SB's were enough imo, lol Smile

CCP clearly stated that they felt that active tankign was udnerhelming in PVP for a LONG time and that they want minmatar and gallete to focus on active tanking. THe module Was VERY needed. The bonus is not even so large, It nEED to be stronger than a normal SB or it would be as weak as normal SB. Simple as that. That woudl defeat the whole purpose of the module.

The only thing that went down the drain is that CCP (again) underestiamted players min maxing that resulted in people using 2-3 ASB to make the drawbacks and limtis of ASB inexistant!

THAT is thwe whole problem.

I am, for my part very happy with ASB because my low sec main uses mostly arti tornados, and the reduction of buffer fits is soooo sweeeeeet :) So funny to see cycloens that rage that they can tank over 1 K dps and we must be hackers because our 3 tornados killed them so fast!

Let me make a final point. People say that armor tankign ships are usign ASB and that is proof that ASB are overpowered. Well for YEARS Cyclone hulls were fit with BUFFER tank!!! That proves that ASB are NEEDED. The issue is how to make active armor tanking as good but without being a clone.

This. They need to balance it a bit now, especially with armor and perhaps fix the multiple ASB fits, but it's a pretty dang fun module. You can still alpha through a XL ASB but in smaller engagements it gives you some staying power you wouldn't have had before. Just give us a (somewhat) similar armor module. I have changed my tune from earlier in the thread, but that is what these threads are for, eh?

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#344 - 2012-08-09 16:16:54 UTC
First off, single oversized ASB boosters really isn't a major issue. Yes, ships can carry boosters bigger than their class, but that happens with both buffer shield and armor modules as well, so if you are going to penalize oversized XL ASBs, you should penalize 1600mm plates and Large Shield Extenders. I've countered the oversized ASB matter plenty on the blog and in the forums and it isn't a concern.

Dual-ASB setups and Triple-ASB setups, however, and as a small reversal of my previous position, can be overpowered. But that LARGELY depending on the ship, and in most cases, you were sacrificing actual combat effectiveness for tank. Most of the fits I've seen were little better than Procurers with guns. However, in putting together a Triple-ASB Maelstrom fit, I would have to agree that this particular configuration is overpowered.

My thinking is that we already have a "diminishing returns" mechanic in the game that could effectively limit over ASB usage. I think that reducing the ASB effectiveness to say 60-70% for the second one, and 20 to 30% for the third one should make multiple ASB configurations more in line with small PVP needs.

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#345 - 2012-08-09 16:20:20 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
First off, single oversized ASB boosters really isn't a major issue. Yes, ships can carry boosters bigger than their class, but that happens with both buffer shield and armor modules as well, so if you are going to penalize oversized XL ASBs, you should penalize 1600mm plates and Large Shield Extenders. I've countered the oversized ASB matter plenty on the blog and in the forums and it isn't a concern.

Dual-ASB setups and Triple-ASB setups, however, and as a small reversal of my previous position, can be overpowered. But that LARGELY depending on the ship, and in most cases, you were sacrificing actual combat effectiveness for tank. Most of the fits I've seen were little better than Procurers with guns. However, in putting together a Triple-ASB Maelstrom fit, I would have to agree that this particular configuration is overpowered.

My thinking is that we already have a "diminishing returns" mechanic in the game that could effectively limit over ASB usage. I think that reducing the ASB effectiveness to say 60-70% for the second one, and 20 to 30% for the third one should make multiple ASB configurations more in line with small PVP needs.

The biggest problem with oversized ASBs comes from when you could never have realistically run the tank in the first place. I'm just a little bit skeptical anytime someone starts talking about it being not overpowered when an XL cyclone can active tank 800 DPS for 5 minutes on a single ASB.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Eternal Error
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#346 - 2012-08-09 16:31:28 UTC
Orakkus wrote:

The individual modules are overpowered, whether in a single, double, or quintuple configuration.
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#347 - 2012-08-09 17:08:33 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:

The biggest problem with oversized ASBs comes from when you could never have realistically run the tank in the first place. I'm just a little bit skeptical anytime someone starts talking about it being not overpowered when an XL cyclone can active tank 800 DPS for 5 minutes on a single ASB.

-Liang

I actually tested this when I went head to head against a Hurricane in multiple engagements.. and only barely defeated a Hurricane (no pills, AC implants, etc.) using that X-Large ASB. The Cyclone's tank SHOULD be on par with the Prophecy's and the Drake's tanking ability because it IS the Minmatar's Tanking BC (every race gets one). In addition, both the Prophecy and the Drake use modules intended for Battleship class ships. So, in that regard, your argument doesn't hold weight. Testing AND comparisons with other tanking Battlecruisers put the Cyclone with one X-Large ASB at exactly where it should be.

Eternal Error wrote:

The individual modules are overpowered, whether in a single, double, or quintuple configuration.

I proved this NOT to be the case with actual combat testing. They aren't overpowered, they just require a change in tactics to defeat. They have multiple weaknesses and also require better overall ship management to run effectively.

Lone Crow
Dust 514 pro ops
#348 - 2012-08-09 17:23:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Lone Crow
Liang Nuren wrote:
Seishi Maru wrote:
Lets be real.. normal shield boosters were also always fitted in oversized fashion anyway on the rare ships that used them :P

There were enough penalties to doing it that IMO it was an open question of whether or not you wanted a Large booster Cyclone, an XL Cyclone, or a buffer Cyclone. ALL of those penalties have been bypassed so strongly that the question is whether you want an XL Cyclone or a dual XL cyclone.

-Liang

I chose not to go with an XL Cyclone because I had to give up two slots for mods that increased CPU. How many CPU enhancing modules would be required to equip two XL ASB’s on a Cyclone? Would it be useful for anything other than a bait ship then?

Also, a big advantage of the ASB was that it allowed you to drop the Cap injector in order to fit something useful like a Web. Isn’t changing it to require a Cap injector to run the ASB sort of missing the point?

Edit:
I am not opposed to limiting ships to one unit as they do with damage control units to avoid circumventing the built in drawback mechanism. After losing two single ASB Cyclones you are going to have a hard time convincing me that a single ASB is OP. In fact, I have gone back to flying Hurricanes. Buffer is still better than ASB when facing more than a few opponents. The theoretical effective health of the ASB is in reality quite ineffective when you die with 8 charges left in your ASB.

Edit 2:
Also, I can’t seem to fit both a Warp Disrupter and a ASB on a Cyclone. I am stuck fitting a Warp Scrambler, which sucks because I can’t catch anything unless it happens to land on top of me. Yet another reason I am going back to flying buffer fit Hurricanes.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#349 - 2012-08-09 17:40:00 UTC
Orakkus wrote:

I proved this NOT to be the case with actual combat testing. They aren't overpowered, they just require a change in tactics to defeat. They have multiple weaknesses and also require better overall ship management to run effectively.

If you really think using an asb requires "better overall ship management" then you are simply trolling. Also your proof is not proof.
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#350 - 2012-08-09 18:05:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Orakkus
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:

If you really think using an asb requires "better overall ship management" then you are simply trolling. Also your proof is not proof.

Really? Are you actually joking? A buffer tank requires zero interaction from the pilot. It just "is". An ASB requires pilot interaction, i.e. you activate the ASB to get the boost. IN ADDITION, you must be mindful not to turn off the ASB when it is empty or else the 60 second reload starts whether you want it to or not. Let's not also add the fact that you have to purchase ASB "ammo" and try to be conservative about your cap charges because unless you can get more, your effective range gets curtailed rather quickly.

So yes, it does require better overall ship management.

And my proof is not proof? You're going to have to better than that.

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#351 - 2012-08-09 18:25:08 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:

-Liang

I actually tested this when I went head to head against a Hurricane in multiple engagements.. and only barely defeated a Hurricane (no pills, AC implants, etc.) using that X-Large ASB. The Cyclone's tank SHOULD be on par with the Prophecy's and the Drake's tanking ability because it IS the Minmatar's Tanking BC (every race gets one). In addition, both the Prophecy and the Drake use modules intended for Battleship class ships. So, in that regard, your argument doesn't hold weight. Testing AND comparisons with other tanking Battlecruisers put the Cyclone with one X-Large ASB at exactly where it should be.

Eternal Error wrote:

Let me get this straight: you're able to reliably take on a tier 2 BC that's traditionally been considered better in every way with a tier 1 BC all because of a single module? Earlier in the thread I showed how I was confident enough to try to take on a Typhoon from a fairly old character, as well as had plenty of tank for a Legion + Falcon and gank shield Myrm + Ishtar.

And this doesn't sound overpowered to you?

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Eternal Error
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#352 - 2012-08-09 18:47:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternal Error
Orakkus wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:

-Liang

Eternal Error wrote:

Or you didn't prove anything and are just bad at Eve.

Obviously they have weaknesses and CAN be beaten, but that's hardly justification for them "not being overpowered." They are a straight upgrade over regular active tanking, and that is wrong.
Delucian
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#353 - 2012-08-09 18:50:32 UTC
Single upsizing mods is a given in Eve. The single upsized ASB on most ships is a bit OP, but managable. Once you start dropping 2 or more on it becomes a problem and there seems to be a pretty massive OP situation.

Right now a dual ASB Hawk is a really hard target. Aside from a range fit Wolf there isnt much I know of in an AF class ship that can take it. That said, I am no expert, so only speaking from liminted knowledge.

At a minimum, I would like to see either an limitation of a single ASB per fit or a armor mod that is as viable.
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#354 - 2012-08-09 18:56:29 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:

Let me get this straight: you're able to reliably take on a tier 2 BC that's traditionally been considered better in every way with a tier 1 BC all because of a single module? Earlier in the thread I showed how I was confident enough to try to take on a Typhoon from a fairly old character, as well as had plenty of tank for a Legion + Falcon and gank shield Myrm + Ishtar.

And this doesn't sound overpowered to you?

-Liang

Confident? No, in fact my testing put me at only BARELY able to outtank a typically fit Hurricane (one using Neuts). The battle was close enough that had I carried tackle, or if he had assault missile launchers, then it would have been a 30/70 chance that I would have lost. My skills for flying and arming the Cyclone are all topped out except for missiles, which are almost topped out. As it was, going against a Hurricane solo, I ran out of navy cap charges and was in cap.

And let's review what you said here. It wasn't just any module, it was a module DESIGNED to work with the Cyclone's defensive bonus. On a shield tanking ship. A ship that was ALWAYS MEANT to be the Minmatar's tanking Battlecruiser. As far as your Typhoon.. that thing couldn't hold its own against an exhumer, much less an ASB Cyclone. On top of that, none of the kills you listed are solo! If (and yes, it is a big "IF") the killmails are right, your damage varied greatly between 0% to 70% of the overall damage.

So.. No, that doesn't show they are overpowered at all. You just simply used better tactics than your enemy.

Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#355 - 2012-08-09 19:01:57 UTC
Eternal Error wrote:

Obviously they have weaknesses and CAN be beaten, but that's hardly justification for them "not being overpowered." They are a straight upgrade over regular active tanking, and that is wrong.

Pfft.. you're a troll and your point about "They are straight upgrade over regular active tanking, and that is wrong." is pretty much proof positive because active tanking was rarely used in even small PVP conflicts until the release of ASBs. And the configurations that WERE used often were either dual or triple reppers. For Active Tanking to be serious again, there NEEDED to be drastically upgraded because the regular active tanking could never cut it.

Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#356 - 2012-08-09 19:08:35 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:

-Liang

Eternal Error wrote:

Now I have not done nearly as much 'testing' as most. But When I look at the cyclone, I see 8 weapon slots, with a 25% ROF bonus to 5 of them. They get a shield boosting bonus for the tank (I'm curious, does this affect the ASB numbers?).

When I look at the prophecy, I see a cap bonus, letting the ship USE a full rack of lasers, and 6 slots for them (can fit 1 missile I guess, but don't think anyone does), with no bonus at all on dps. They get a resistance bonus of 25% for the tank.

In pvp, as it stands, very few people fit active armor tanking (I hope the day comes where it is more viable, love my active tanking). So its buffer tanked for the prophecy.

Damage its looking like Cyclone > Prophecy.
Tanking for the first minute or so Prophecy > Cyclone.
Tanking past the first minute or so =/=
Tanking past a few minutes Cyclone > Prophecy
Tanking multiple targets Cyclone > Prophecy.
If Neuts are involved? Cyclone >>>>>>Prophecy.

Im not sure where you get 'on par with' from, but I see it as simply superior with ASB's. I did not bring up the Drake for comparison, because it also benefits from ASB, if maybe not as much, and Drake is kind of in a category of its own. Hurricanes are up their with them in popularity due to their versatility.

Saying you have to click a button to maintain it makes it more complicated ... not sure why that was brought up.

Im with Liang on this one.

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Delucian
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#357 - 2012-08-09 19:11:36 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
Eternal Error wrote:

Pfft.. you're a troll and your point about "They are straight upgrade over regular active tanking, and that is wrong." is pretty much proof positive because active tanking was rarely used in even small PVP conflicts until the release of ASBs. And the configurations that WERE used often were either dual or triple reppers. For Active Tanking to be serious again, there NEEDED to be drastically upgraded because the regular active tanking could never cut it.

Which is fine if there is a commensurate armor mod. A single repper needs to be buffed to provide a larger (not 100%, but 50%?) repair per cycle so that they are in line from an active tanking role.
Viribus
Lords of the Lockerroom
WE FORM YUG0SLAVIA
#358 - 2012-08-09 19:16:50 UTC
Eternal Error wrote:

Considering how utterly terrible regular active tanking is in PVP, tengu boosts and crystals notwithstanding, this is not a bad thing.

Buffer tanks have had huge buffs over the years while local tanking has slipped further and further away from viability, people screaming "OP!" about ancil boosters should've seen "regular active tanking" before the plate/extender buff and introduction of rigs.
Eternal Error
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#359 - 2012-08-09 19:24:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternal Error
Orakkus wrote:

Yea... active tanking was rarely used... now it is... therefore it is a straight upgrade over regular active tanking. I am all in favor of active tanking being seriously rebalanced, but the ASB is OP compared to all other current methods of active tanking, period.

Orakkus wrote:

Confident? No, in fact my testing put me at only BARELY able to outtank a typically fit Hurricane (one using Neuts). The battle was close enough that had I carried tackle, or if he had assault missile launchers, then it would have been a 30/70 chance that I would have lost. My skills for flying and arming the Cyclone are all topped out except for missiles, which are almost topped out. As it was, going against a Hurricane solo, I ran out of navy cap charges and was in cap.

And let's review what you said here. It wasn't just any module, it was a module DESIGNED to work with the Cyclone's defensive bonus. On a shield tanking ship. A ship that was ALWAYS MEANT to be the Minmatar's tanking Battlecruiser. As far as your Typhoon.. that thing couldn't hold its own against an exhumer, much less an ASB Cyclone. On top of that, none of the kills you listed are solo! If (and yes, it is a big "IF") the killmails are right, your damage varied greatly between 0% to 70% of the overall damage.

So.. No, that doesn't show they are overpowered at all. You just simply used better tactics than your enemy.

Cool. You did one battle in one ship against what is arguably the best BC for this particular job, and are now convinced that the ASB is in no way overpowered. Also, if your cyclone fit was such that you had no tackle and your tank was barely able to hold against a cane with just ACs and neuts, then I don't even know what to tell you.

Delucian wrote:

Which is fine if there is a commensurate armor mod. A single repper needs to be buffed to provide a larger (not 100%, but 50%?) repair per cycle so that they are in line from an active tanking role.

No, it's not fine. Power creep is never OK, and it's not OK to buff active tanking by just saying **** it and introducing new modules while leaving the old ones to rot.

EDIT: Misread your post. Buffing armor reppers is a start, but you still need to buff SBs/nerf ASBs to a similar level. I also don't think it's as simple as a raw buff to repair per cycle without rebalancing NPC damage and possibly neuts as well.

Viribus wrote:
Eternal Error wrote:

Considering how utterly terrible regular active tanking is in PVP, tengu boosts and crystals notwithstanding, this is not a bad thing.

Buffer tanks have had huge buffs over the years while local tanking has slipped further and further away from viability, people screaming "OP!" about ancil boosters should've seen "regular active tanking" before the plate/extender buff and introduction of rigs.

I agree with everything you said (see above about rebalancing active tanking), but we're not debating whether active tanking should be buffed and closer to what the ASB is now. We're debating whether the ASB is overpowered relative to other forms of active tanking, and the answer to anyone who can do 5th grade math is obviously "yes."
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#360 - 2012-08-09 19:31:54 UTC
Zyella Stormborn wrote:

In pvp, as it stands, very few people fit active armor tanking (I hope the day comes where it is more viable, love my active tanking). So its buffer tanked for the prophecy.

Damage its looking like Cyclone > Prophecy.
Tanking for the first minute or so Prophecy > Cyclone.
Tanking past the first minute or so =/=
Tanking past a few minutes Cyclone > Prophecy
Tanking multiple targets Cyclone > Prophecy.
If Neuts are involved? Cyclone >>>>>>Prophecy.

Im not sure where you get 'on par with' from, but I see it as simply superior with ASB's. I did not bring up the Drake for comparison, because it also benefits from ASB, if maybe not as much, and Drake is kind of in a category of its own. Hurricanes are up their with them in popularity due to their versatility.

Saying you have to click a button to maintain it makes it more complicated ... not sure why that was brought up.

Im with Liang on this one.

ASB management requires more than just pushing a button. I detailed it already above. As far as your list goes, however, it is incorrect. As a side note, the only reason why anyone is thinking the ASB Cyclone is overpowered is because the Shield Boost bonus does work on ASBs.

For the Cyclone to be that effective in damage, you need to have spent considerable SP to train up both missiles and projectile weapons, whereas the Prophecy needs only to use lasers to be effective. Lasers have an excellent damage to range ratio, so while EFT may say that the Cyclone can do X amount of damage, in actual practice it is far less because fighting usually occurs in falloff, which lowers actual damage (as well as shot types) so the damage will be far less. So, this puts typical Cyclone pilot using five Autocannons that he has to fight with along with three weapons modules that he likely won't be well skilled in. As such, it will be rare that you would come against a pilot who is skilled optimally for the Cyclone.

Tanking multiple targets is also a very grey area, as it is possible for damage to outcycle a single ASB. Usually, ships that use ASBs tend not to have as good of resists and the Dual-ASB setups that are common, often sacrifice resists modules to their peril. On the flipside, the Cyclone is a much faster BC and without the penalties that buffer ships have, would be a much harder target to hit.