These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Q: AFK Market exploits.

Author
Ivan Ward
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-08-09 13:49:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Ivan Ward
Is it ok if I do not log out and stay AFK while I have stuff up for sale, or to buy, on the market?

Do I need to be concerned if they are sold?

Does it matter how much profit I make on the sale?

If I log out before the sale, instead of going AFK, will that make a difference?

FYI I just payed 14.99€ to make these questions.

"Hot pilots we have problems too, we're just like you."

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#2 - 2012-08-09 13:51:20 UTC
Ivan Ward wrote:

FYI I just payed 14.99€ to make this question.

Money well spent.

Roll

Not today spaghetti.

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-08-09 13:51:54 UTC
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#4 - 2012-08-09 13:52:30 UTC
Next time, buy a plex and give it to me please :D

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Forum Harlot
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-08-09 13:53:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Forum Harlot
Yes, obviously this is a bannable offense.

CCP Sreegs wrote:
While this activity does not necessitate the use of a 3rd party program in order to carry it out you ARE generating income in an automated fashion while sleeping which is not being present playing the game.
Boseo
Azure Horizon
#6 - 2012-08-09 13:54:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Boseo
what are you asking exactly? I'm not too sure what you are asking to be able to answer you.

Edit* it seems that I was expecting a more complicated question.... the answer is yes, yes you can.

Edit 2* he is in goons this must be a stealth troll! 10/10 for not having anyone notice.

Sorry but file “forumsig.GIF” is currently unavailable please come back later…… like in a year or so.

Frying Doom
#7 - 2012-08-09 13:55:23 UTC
Ivan Ward wrote:
Is it ok if I do not log out and stay AFK while I have stuff up for sale, or to buy, on the market?

If I log out before the sale, instead of going AFK, will that make a difference?

No. Thats is not a bug or exploit that is how the game was designed. But if you were for example have a POS that manufactured goods out of nothing, that would be an obvious bug because you have made isk for no effort at all. Or if you used a bug that kept giving you isk for bounties because rats kept spawning continuously at a certain point and you had for example sentry drones killing them time after time while you were AFK that would be exploiting an obvious bug.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Nicolae Ceauesescu
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-08-09 13:58:37 UTC
I think it is also unacceptable that skill are in training while not logged in or while not actively playing. Please comment.
Frying Doom
#9 - 2012-08-09 14:00:16 UTC
Nicolae Ceauesescu wrote:
I think it is also unacceptable that skill are in training while not logged in or while not actively playing. Please comment.

Get ****ed

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Ivan Ward
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-08-09 14:00:19 UTC
Forum Harlot wrote:
Yes, obviously this is a bannable offense.

CCP Sreegs wrote:
While this activity does not necessitate the use of a 3rd party program in order to carry it out you ARE generating income in an automated fashion while sleeping which is not being present playing the game.

Will that go into the EULA, or is it by chance already there?

Ivan Ward
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-08-09 14:02:26 UTC

Evidently there are trade skills. What about those?

Nicolae Ceauesescu
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-08-09 14:15:16 UTC
Ivan Ward wrote:
I think it is also unacceptable that skills are in training while not logged in or while not actively playing. Please comment.

Evidently there are trade skills. What about those?

v0v

Tbh, easiest solution for (possible/obvious) exploit you described would be the removal of automation in market. You should be able to put things for sale but actual transaction should be done in trade window. Clicking buy would open trade window to seller and if he/she is not around, wait or buy from someone else. This way one could also try to get the price lower in chat, cut some deals etc. and it would lead to better interaction with the fellow players. Who is with me?
Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#13 - 2012-08-09 14:15:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Pinstar Colton
The concept of Passive income in EVE is a fully supported aspect to the game. The reason you can put up a sell order on the market for up to 3 months is so it can be available to a potential buyer 24/7 for the next 3 months, even if you aren't online at the time to witness the transaction.

PI and Moon Mining (via a POS) are other examples of supported passive income. As others have pointed out, offline skill training is one of EVE's hallmarks, and a prime example of character progression continuing even when you log off.

The fear of the ban hammer relates to bots. Bots are programs that complete actions for you without you having to be there.

Going onto the market and listing your goods for sale and occasionally updating the price to stay ahead of other sell orders? Totally legit. Some players make their fortunes doing this.

Using a 3rd party program to automatically list and update your sell order for you while you are not actively at your computer? Market bot, bannable offense.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#14 - 2012-08-09 14:20:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Ivan Ward wrote:

No, because the amount of money you can make is limited by the size of your order. You are not farming an income source that renews itself indefinately, without limit, and with you having to not be there.

You can be afk
It never runs out
It makes ISK

All 3 got to be true for there to be an issue.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#15 - 2012-08-09 14:22:38 UTC
So did you buy that 2 year old character?

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#16 - 2012-08-09 14:31:02 UTC
The rule is "passive" income is okay as long as you're not using a third-party program to automate activities while you're AFK. If an in-game function allows you to automate activity while AFK (e.g. AFK mining), you're good.

Then again, if your drones kill rats while you're AFK that's bad now, so...

I'm sure they'll figure it out. Smile
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#17 - 2012-08-09 14:33:37 UTC
Can we expand the ISD powers to include moderating bad analogies?

Moderation in moderation, that's my motto!

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#18 - 2012-08-09 14:40:43 UTC
James 315 wrote:
The rule is "passive" income is okay as long as you're not using a third-party program to automate activities while you're AFK. If an in-game function allows you to automate activity while AFK (e.g. AFK mining), you're good.

Then again, if your drones kill rats while you're AFK that's bad now, so...

I'm sure they'll figure it out. Smile

Wrong example at some point the miners cargo hold fills up or the astroid simply vanishes so a player action has to be taken.

In the drones kill rats while AFK scenario it is a not to be acceptable gameplay situation that for 23.54 hours no player action has to be taken. The stupid rats just keep spawning and get nocked out by unmanned sentries. Spawn after spawn, or an automated near endless ISK generator.