These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Long Warp - An alternative to Star Gates and Jumping

Author
Faelzeth
Just The Tip Industries
#1 - 2012-08-09 03:51:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Faelzeth
In my effort to think of how the game can be improved upon its design and appeal to all players, I decided to put my attention to the aspect of traveling through the numerous systems of Eve.

As of now, there are only two methods of traveling between systems. Star Gates, and Jumping. Both instantaneous methods of travel that would take years to travel at the speed of light.

Here's a little science and math.

Now we know that based on human measurements, Earth being 1 AU (about 93 million miles [149,597,870 km]) from Sol, our local star, light takes 7 minutes to travel before it reaches our planet.

Ships such as frigates in Eve are traveling at speeds such as 6 AU per second. Approximately 558,000,000 Miles (897,587,220 km) per second.

The speed of light is about 186,282 miles per second.

A light year (the distance light takes to travel over one year) is about 63,240 AU. I'll save you the extra numbers and be brief)

Star systems are about 1.8 - 5+ light years in distance.

A frigate wanting to travel just 1 light year would take about three hours. This obviously wouldn't be acceptable to a player as no one would want to sit in warp for three hours.

My suggestion: I want to see how implementing trans-system warping could work out. Here is a mechanic.

Star Gates provide instant travel between systems: The luxury / reward
With an established point of entry and exit with Star Gates, hostiles in gate camps can effectively cut off travel: The risk

Much of the design of Eve with High Risk-High Reward, this idea should be propelled in the sense that if the player wants to give up the luxury of instant travel, they eliminate the risk of hostiles and gate camps.

Edit*- Perhaps not eliminate the risk, but reduce, giving pilots a better fighting chance at surviving through a blockade.

The response to the problem of a three hour plus warp...
Players who wish to engage in these extended warps will require a modification to their ships engine, a module (Low, Medium, High,) that will increase the speed of their ship's warp.
For the sake of the player, but to appeal to game balance, certain penalties should be in effect like the Micro-Warp Drive does with its Capacitor and Signature Radius bonuses.

For a ship to travel from one system to another, I figured that warping between the two systems should take about 15 minutes, maybe more or less? The deal with a trans-system warp is, in order to travel a distance of let's say 3 light years in 15 minutes, a ship's warp would have to be a little over a staggering 200 AU / second.

The power to reach... and maintain this speed... would be immense. But it's science fiction, anything is possible.

There would have to be a lot of thought, more than what I've contrived here, to make a balanced implementation of this.
How can we implement this type of travel and still maintain the need for gate-camps, create runways for long warp or use of a cyno? Balance, it's so important.

Purely from a game-design perspective, I think this could work. For the sake of lore in the Eve universe, I'm unsure how "science" could explain an increase of speed to 200 AU/second.

I personally love traveling in the game of Eve, watching the blue and red shift around the ship as I casually pass by a star. To watch the nebulae grow and shrink into the distance would truly bring about a sense of awe in me.

Does this have potential? Ideas welcomed.
An infographic on Long Distance Warp Mechanics
Easthir Ravin
Easy Co.
#2 - 2012-08-09 04:36:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Easthir Ravin
Greetings

The idea as you put it intrigues me. As you say balance is the key. Maybe a system wide broadcast that an incoming trans-system warp is inbound ( or a module or SOV upgrade whatever) , giving probers a chance at finding the possible ingress point, via disturbed gravity well or insert flashy sifi words here.

IN THE IMORTAL WORDS OF SOCRATES:  " I drank WHAT?!"

Octoven
Stellar Production
#3 - 2012-08-09 04:42:01 UTC
I do like this idea, it is one of the better long warp Ideas Ive seen on this forum. Essentially you are balancing things up whilst giving both parties (Campers and travelers) a choice of path. This adds to the whole sandbox mentality of eve, your choices have consequences

I would support this kind of change
Evil Vile
Drunken Brawlers
#4 - 2012-08-09 04:42:06 UTC
I do like the idea behind this quite a bit. We have our usual cyno/jump bridge travel, but with this why not do something along the lines of the triage module. If you want to make the jump, you activate a module that puts you in stasis until the warp drives are completely warmed up. For instance, for every jump it takes 5 minutes for the module to warm up, and the ship cannot do anything except wait, or get blown up. So the pilot has to wait 5 minutes for every jump it wants to make. Unless it was a non-corp, high-sec pilot, they would need a fleet to help protect it like a POS until it has jumped and left stasis.

Risk vs reward. It could make for an easy jump to another region to transport items, but still have the ability to be intercepted.

Just a thought.
Faelzeth
Just The Tip Industries
#5 - 2012-08-09 04:42:12 UTC
Easthir Ravin wrote:
Greetings

The idea as you put it intrigues me. As you say balance is the key. Maybe a system wide broadcast that an incoming trans-system warp is inbound ( or a module or SOV upgrade whatever) , giving probers a chance at finding the possible ingress point, via disturbed gravity well or insert flashy sifi words here.

I like the disturbed gravity well idea. It would definitely increase the need for probers and maintain the need for gate camps, rather system camps. Would that gravity well be exact or be a random spot in the system?
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-08-09 04:48:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Deena Amaj
Quote:

Purely from a game-design perspective, I think this could work. For the sake of lore in the Eve universe, I'm unsure how "science" could explain an increase of speed to 200 AU/second.

Well, the EVE lore explains warp tech by using zero-Vacuum or so. I doubt it should be that hard to have it explained by thoroughly as we are already experiencing FTL mechanics.

As suggested above: A chance of detecting an incoming "star jump" would be cool, alike probing as mentioned above. Perhaps have a specific POS module that detects the distortion (only detects, not locate it), warning that something might be imbound.

I however have the feeling people might be a bit edgy regarding the total freedom of star-warping from A to B.

But yes, there needs to be alternatives in terms of FTL/jumping.
It has to be a oneway trip though - without dropping in mid-deadspace between the stars.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-08-09 05:12:00 UTC
This idea has been posted and shot down numerous times in various incarnations. The most recent one spawned a hilarious discussion of capital (namely triage) mechanics, hosted by a guy who wouldn't know how undock, nevermind operate, a capital ship even if he did manage to get a hold of one.

The problem with this idea is that it completely removes the choke points that stargates provide. While titans enable people to do this already, it does require a fair amount of planning and getting 200 clueless drake pilots to navigate a menu without shooting each other. (it also provides the potential lulz of the titan having a "derp" moment and activating his own jump drive instead of the jump portal)
Faelzeth
Just The Tip Industries
#8 - 2012-08-09 06:09:50 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:

The problem with this idea is that it completely removes the choke points that stargates provide.

Right, that was a concern when I was thinking of this. Thus the idea of having a probe-able site to scan out. Perhaps limiting it to the same paths that star gates could assist in the preservation of gate camps, as long as the other side has the ability to scan out potential incoming targets.
Ja'thaal Deathbringer
The Directionally Challenged
#9 - 2012-08-09 07:43:56 UTC
Hey there. It's a good idea, in theory, but would need a little more to it than what you've stated.

What about a mid slot module that is essentially a hyper drive? Now, I've been thinking about this myself, and I could see it working like this:

The difference between Warp Drive and Hyper Drive is that Warp engines operate on acceleration of the entire ship in regular space, making them travel at immense speeds faster than light. Hyper Drives, on the other hand, operate on a principle of opening up two windows in subspace and moving the windows between origin and destination points closer together in subspace, and then accelerating the ship into the subspace window. By closer, I mean a LOT closer, but travel in hyperspace isn't instantaneous, nor is it infallible.

Hyper Drive engines would require a massive amount of capacitor to maintain a stable subspace window, so obviously, the smaller the ship, the lower the range given capacitor limitations. Also, Hyper Drive engines would work on a similar principle to Jump Drives, and would still need some sort of destination solution in order achieve and maintain a stable hyper drive window. Also, Hyper Drives would still be effected by Cynosural Jamming arrays due to the fact that the jamming arrays work on a principle of disrupting all ships in its vicinity to lock on to the destination solution of cynosural beacons, or the ability to create a destination solution for their hyper drive.

Long story short, Hyper Drives would serve as gateless inter-system travel that would still have limitations and would also take time to move from system to system.
Uris Vitgar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-08-09 09:30:55 UTC
3 hours per light year is perfectly acceptable, espescially since you can warp while logged out. Since you can't select anything but the sun from outside a system there is still a celestial bottleneck to be defended, and if local updates at even a tenth of a lightyear out there will be no problem of suprise attacks.
You do not even need a module, just a different procedure for warping. Perhaps a "preparing for interstellar warp (journey will take 5.83 hours)" message followed by a 30 second timer which spools up the warp drive for continuous warp mode.
Horus V
The Destined
#11 - 2012-08-09 10:18:58 UTC
Faelzeth wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:

The problem with this idea is that it completely removes the choke points that stargates provide.

Right, that was a concern when I was thinking of this. Thus the idea of having a probe-able site to scan out. Perhaps limiting it to the same paths that star gates could assist in the preservation of gate camps, as long as the other side has the ability to scan out potential incoming targets.

Yesss.

+1 from me !

V

Zuriaake Yn Gizarm
RSS Task Force
#12 - 2012-08-09 11:30:34 UTC
i dont know if these long warps are possible to develop so easy, but i think it would be as 1000 times cooler as gates.

after long years of playing, the gates taking the feeling of an endless space away a bit :(

i think the gates could exist further but, i rather had an eyeopening epic fly through the giant nebulas between minmatar and gallente nebulas instead of a simple half second plop.

if the gates would exist in that way, the rules and systems of gatecamp etc. would still work..

thats my opinion

sorry for my minmatarian english

fly safe^^

At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-08-09 13:23:05 UTC
Choke points aren't that great either to be blunt. Some points of 0.0 are dead-easy to defend just because there is pretty much only one way to enter. Might as well say that it is a carebear haven because one can easily defend any visitor slowboating in.

One must keep in mind that you cannot come with the I live the rough life of eve and I'm a tough pvper, yet have a simple and easy door to defend anybody who even dares to warp2zero on that gate.

I know there is cyno and people who can attempt to visit, but not everybody, especially roaming small gangs, have Titan/Blackops. And this is possibly the reason why the OP is suggestion an alternate propulsion system.

I'm certain there is a way so that it is not that efficient.
For instance, say if there is a huge SOV-alliance, you should be able to indirectly-hyperjump to one the bordering SOV systems rather than a random star deep in the heart of this Alliance.

To possibly add to this suggestion:
Aside to POS modules detecting "hyper jump/gravimetric anomalies", the defending alliance could maybe have those player-owned PI custom offices have additional stellar sensory to detect them. Perhaps the "Remote Sensing" (PI skill) could be of any use here.
Herp-derp - one could have PI modules/structures feature some orbital "Hubble" satellites to detect those anomalies.

As one propose, that unknown gravity well should randomly be placed in the star system and it shouldn't be all too easy to probe out, meaning you need the probing experts who actually skill things through and not those who just skill to level2.

Lastly, the Deep Space Scan Probe with the 256 AU or so radius - I forgot the name - could be more of a use here.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Uris Vitgar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-08-09 14:15:20 UTC
You talk as if there's a problem with alliances defending their space too easily, but the opposite is true. Even with long pipes and choke points many solo and small gang hunters are able to get through. The majority of camps in nullsec are set up by invaders, not home defence fleets. Bombers, recons, cloaky t3s and blackops can strike whenever and wherever they like no matter how big a camp they have to pass through, and as a sov peasant your alliance is powerless to defend you from them. Nullsec is already halfway into barbarism, fighting out of boredom whilst making money on alts in highsec. This isn't a good time to start making them more vulnerable
Dureena Nafee1
art of eve
#15 - 2012-08-09 14:44:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Dureena Nafee1
This idea is intriguing, so how about adding a new galaxy to explore, a single jump gate to a concord controlled system, then all other jumps from there are via this method, and you can then introduce

Gate Building Ships.
Like a Pos but you can then make your own systems and build your own connections and it would truly be completely new and exciting, like WH space but better.

Think you could have whole alliances leaving by this single gate, manually jumping to a new system then building a gate out from there. so their "network" is not connected to the rest of the universe and needs this module to get there. - until someone else comes in and links up to their network, gates able to be destroyed etc.

That would definately be Eve 2

Edit : - hey even allow everything to be player made in the new galaxy so customs offices, stations etc, wouldnt that make it more interesting when you even have to make the gates for use....
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#16 - 2012-08-09 16:09:29 UTC
I have a couple of suggestions.

Power: Have this use fuel, a predictable amount you would need on board before your drive could start the long warp. No need for a module extra on this at all. If you lack the fuel, you need to use public transit gate style.

Beacon required:
This isn't for a jump drive, so there is no reason for it to show up on the overview.
Someone had to drop a beacon, and anchor it. Once the jump is started, the beacon is no longer needed, as the ship takes the information it needs only when initiating warp.
This DOES mean if you know several are planning on using a beacon, you can have covert eyes watching from the other side. Only allow through the ships you like, then destroy it before others can use it to follow.
Details:
Only one person can use the beacon at a time, the beacon needs 10 seconds to charge. (Need a bunch through faster? use multiple beacons)
Personal, Corp or Alliance level access restrictions.
Covert Beacon: only the covops frigate can lock onto this, it is very hard to scan down if not impossible.
Reicine Ceer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-08-09 17:44:08 UTC
Babylon 5 jumpgate technology; you fly "into" warp-space, where you're travelling at unimaginably vast speeds, and exit out of a jumpgate. Similar to what we have now, but *not* instantaneous. This is precisely what would work for the whole "explaining away 200AU/s :)
mine mi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-08-09 18:45:31 UTC
a variant idea

The idea is the ships can create a artificial Wormhole to the destiny, with only one exit; the distance between the two entries is 1/1000 of the real distance in au, the mass they can pass is 175% of the ship who create the w/h and the only ship who can see the exit
Pross: can not cyno jam
Conss: take time to travel
Faelzeth
Just The Tip Industries
#19 - 2012-08-09 23:15:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Faelzeth
Emulated
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-08-10 12:19:00 UTC
i personally think gates are ****. so +1
123Next pageLast page