These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Two more accounts unsubbed.

First post
Author
Tesal
#381 - 2012-08-08 03:03:43 UTC
I'm sorry the OP is quitting. I agree with him that pew pew is at the core of the game but I disagree that it is the be all end all of the game. CCP has to balance multiple professions, each with its own end game activity. In mining its mining with a Rorqual and a Hulk in null. In manufacturing perhaps its building cap ships or T3 cruisers. In trade its amassing huge wealth and rolling around in it. There are strategy players who plot the course of nullsec empires. Some ppl never log on they just want to talk about EvE on jabber or teamspeak. There are pirates who cause grief to the unwary. There are lots of ways to play the game. Its a lot more than hitting f1 or "pure" pvp. There is a bit of roleplaying and a kind of immersion getting into your character to do stuff and a strong community of similar minded people.

I also don't think they are dumbing the game down. It is well known that there is a massive learning cliff that needs to be scaled just to start. Learning the basic mechanics alone is a task, even simple things like the skill que take time and effort to understand. Most ppl throw up their hands and quit after a few days. People who actually stick with the game are rare jewels to be protected.

Vets quit for lots of reasons, but it sounds to me you seem like you are bored with the game and think it will be more boring in the future. There isn't an easy answer to that except to try something new, something you haven't done. Maybe the new content in EvE isn't appealing to you and thats fine, I get why you want to quit. But I draw the line at getting other people enraged enough so they quit as well, which is what this thread is about. Encouraging people to quit is a sin in EvE where there are so very few people willing to play in the first place. The core of EvE is still there to be appreciated as it has been for a long time now. I hope it stays strong. This may be little solace to the OP but its still true as far as I can see. I hope the OP reconsiders quitting or comes back after a while to get some fresh air.
Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#382 - 2012-08-08 03:09:49 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Malphilos wrote:

I recognize you have to say that, I just thought you might recognize it's silly.

MMO.

And you think one person with thousands of accounts is "healthier".

It's silly beyond reason.

Its also not going to happen.

So it still stands a growing game is a healthy game.

Again, if that dude keeps buying subs at or faster than the rate other people are leaving, you're forced to call it a "growing game".

It's beyond ridiculous.

And yet you'll cling.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#383 - 2012-08-08 03:25:36 UTC
Malphilos wrote:

Again, if that dude keeps buying subs at or faster than the rate other people are leaving, you're forced to call it a "growing game".

It's beyond ridiculous.

And yet you'll cling.

Sorry but what you are saying is just stupid. Nobody is paying for thousands upon thousands of subs.
darkenspace
Imperial AMARR White Kights
#384 - 2012-08-08 05:18:19 UTC
well maybe they should keep this game the way the vets like it and just make a eve 2 so that way all the players are happy
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#385 - 2012-08-08 05:34:17 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Malphilos wrote:

It's beyond ridiculous.

And yet you'll cling.

Sorry but what you are saying is just stupid. Nobody is paying for thousands upon thousands of subs.

Thousands of subs... must be quite a mining operation or something.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Motoko Kusanagui
Doomheim
#386 - 2012-08-08 06:08:40 UTC
Good bye OP have a nice life in the real world.

Godspeed to you.
Frying Doom
#387 - 2012-08-08 06:14:21 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Malphilos wrote:

It's beyond ridiculous.

And yet you'll cling.

Thousands of subs... must be quite a mining operation or something.

Next someone will be complaining that it's a boting operation, seriously thousands of accounts easy Lol

Ever here of slave labor aka WoW players Smile

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#388 - 2012-08-08 06:46:41 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:

Another problem with delayed local is that nullsec would need a drastic revamp re: the effort needed to find a target. Simply delaying local would allow me to simply jump a bomber into a system, look for a ship on dscan, warp to wherever it is, and instalock+point it (bombers don't have the targeting delay) - assuming that the ship is even there to be killed. At least in wormholes it works since you have to probe your targets out, with your probes showing on dscan, and there's a mass limit on the number of ships you can get into a given w-space system. No supercapitals, no cynos, no fixed routes. CCP would have to address a lot of things outside of hisec if they were to touch local.

Beyond that, hisec incursion runners don't tend to allow you to join their fleets if you have an active wardec, and you can simply drop corp during wardecs anyway.

No, competent squads don't probe out targets in w-space, as the (PVErs) are most often in anomalies. Combat probes are a tell-tale sign of an empire hunter lost in a wormhole :)

The reason no local works in w-space is teamwork. We are watching the hole, and saw you come in. D-scanning is second nature, we do it subconsciously and you would need to be spectacular combat scanner, or have the luck to be in a huge system to pull it off. This is the difference, with local you don't have a similar need to have eyes on the stargates or be on your toes all the time. But yeah, cynos are also a dramatic difference, and I think not having them is a huge bonus for wormhole pew.

One argument for keeping local in k-space is the "sense of local life" it creates. If you live in an area for a while, you start to recognize familiar names, your neighbours. It also promotes social interaction with strangers, and can offer some pretty funny moments. W-space feels lonely and desolate in comparison, perfect for some people but perhaps not for everybody.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#389 - 2012-08-08 07:08:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Roime wrote:
One argument for keeping local in k-space is the "sense of local life" it creates. If you live in an area for a while, you start to recognize familiar names, your neighbours. It also promotes social interaction with strangers, and can offer some pretty funny moments. W-space feels lonely and desolate in comparison, perfect for some people but perhaps not for everybody.

Another thing I felt so much in WHs was the lack of any station at any distance (you really need to be in vastly dead end 0.0 to feel the same), it's like being an hermit with no backup, no civilization nothing.

But I can also see how this hard mode far west is a very good change for the so inclined players.

I actually feel colonizing sov 0.0 should provide the same far west "unknown lands" feeling.
Maybe make delayed local until you gain sov and anchor something? That something could grant say 2-3 manufacturing slots so it'd also entice people to live in those systems.
Rakael Kateloda
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#390 - 2012-08-08 07:13:07 UTC
Posting in 'back in my days Eve was actually hard and we were forced to walk on broken glass' thread.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#391 - 2012-08-08 07:13:35 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Which matters with your "PVE expansions = drop in playerbase" how?
It matters because you're creating a strawman argument by not reading what I'm writing and assuming for no good reason that I'm talking about the summer of 2011 and that I'm drawing causal relationships like that.

Quote:
Don't forget that I and Akita T even predicted the playerbase drop months before it happened and I even created a chart showing the playerbase trend in the (back then) future.
Too bad that the drop had already started by the time you predicted it. You posted that in April. The decline started in earnest in January and actually had its roots before that. Again, the problem is that you're not reading what I'm writing but instead assuming that I'm talking about something you wish I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about the Incarna summer. I'm talking about the drop that happened just after Incursion was released. At this point, eve was into month 12 of :18 months: and they released a PvE-focused expansion that, to no-one's surprise, grabbed a lot of initial attention but then (as PvE content always does) quickly drops off. Attention was already petering out and Incursion managed to create the standard short-term boost that you see in PvE games: initial high numbers, quick drop-off, and ending up with lower numbers than before. In other words, that kind of expansion does not have the effect that some people think it has.

My point is that, unlike what Ansio is claiming, appealing to a different audience by going all out on the PvE has already proven not to work. Yes, you can prop up some already-sagging numbers with it, but it's a very short term fix and it will not hold. His vision of doubling the numbers by focusing on a different segment than the core gameplay will have the exact opposite effect, and we know this because it has already happened once…

Quote:
Because Incarna was
Yeah, I'm going to stop you there because nothing you say after it is relevant to anything I said and only further reinforces the fact that you're piling up an immense straw man. I'm not talking about Incarna. Read what I write, not what you hope I'm writing. Incarna and the numerous other fsckups that happened around it were just the last straws — the whole thing started waaay before that (and way before you “predicted” something that was already happening).

In short: you're barking up the wrong tree. The biased fallacy is entirely on your end since you failed to read what I was saying and instead attacked a strawman argument built on noting but your own preconceptions of what I was saying (which is especially odd since the quote you used to start it all off very clearly stated where the problems started).

Stop being prejudiced about what I'm writing, or shush.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#392 - 2012-08-08 07:26:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Tippia wrote:

In short: you're barking up the wrong tree. The biased fallacy is entirely on your end since you failed to read what I was saying and instead attacked a strawman argument built on noting but your own preconceptions of what I was saying (which is especially odd since the quote you used to start it all off very clearly stated where the problems started).

Stop being prejudiced about what I'm writing, or shush.

Like this is the first thread where you make your anti-PvE statements.

I have played a disturbing number of MMOs (mostly PvP ones) and all those which had awful PvE fared worse than those that had a decent PvE.
People are not always up only to kill stuff, certain days one wants to relax or got no time to chase the elusive prey.

Also, looking backwards is always easy to say "numbers already started plummeting before my prediction", go look at the threads that were born exactly in those days (expecially on Market Discussion) to see how much I got flamed for my so obvious predictions.

Moreover, you magically reduced your "PvE expansions" to Incursions. How does *1* expansion make a viable statistical platform to come out with statements about PvE being the cause of players drop?

I find my own theory much more reliable than yours. Incursions came *after* the most fail patches of all time (Dominion and Tyrannis) it was a cascade trigger along with the fail Incarna (fail in the sense it failed to deliver the promise BY LARGE plus all the stuff I wrote above) more than the proven cause.

Finally, it's not prejudice. I am sure we could have a poll to see how much your posts are seen as a sort of self repeating loop, an insurance into getting a thread to 20+ pages long.
This predictability HAS its profitable uses of course so keep posting. Just don't predend people want to waste time playing your permanent same points repetition game.

BTW you still have to reply me on the other thread why am I meant to extensively use and like the terribad new UI while you hated it.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#393 - 2012-08-08 07:59:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Like this is the first thread where you make your anti-PvE statements.
Oook… it's going to be one of those. No, you're still just reading too much into things.

I'm not anti-PvE. I'm anti-anti-PvP. I'm anti PvE:er-entitlement. I'm anti “we are the majority, hear us roar (but don't ask us to prove any of it)”. I'm anti-let's-turn-EVE-into-something-it-is-not-and-into-something-that-bajillion-other-games-already-offer.

In this case, I'm against the notion that going for the ”mass appeal” and throwing huge amounts of resources at PvE content will be the saviour EVE, given that the last time anything along those lines was tried, it had the entirely predictable effect of creating a nice peak with no (or even negative) long-lasting effects.

Quote:
Also, looking backwards is always easy to say "numbers already started plummeting before my prediction", go look at the threads that were born exactly in those days (expecially on Market Discussion) to see how much I got flamed for my so obvious predictions.
Yes, it is. The point is: that's when it started. You may be very proud of having caught it early, but the fact remains that it was already happening by then. I know it, and you know it, so don't come spouting your nonsense about how I blaming Incarna for something that started months (hell, even a year) earlier, because that's just dishonest.

Quote:
Moreover, you magically reduced your "PvE expansions" to Incursions. How does *1* expansion make a viable statistical platform to come out with statements about PvE being the cause of players drop?
There is this little word class called “conjunction”. You should look it up. There's more to it than just PvE… if only you stopped being so prejudiced and considered what I actually wrote.

PvE caused a very short-lived peak in players because it has no long-lasting hold — in EVE or elsewhere, which is why other games have to spew out costly expansions at such high rates or go under. The attempt to do something similar in EVE drew resources away from other, much more needed attention to core gameplay. Consequently, while the PvE expansion propped up the numbers for a while until everything had been figured out and rendered routine, the base numbers were sagging at an increasing rate. When the PvE interest died down, as it always does, we have a sharp dip in numbers from the PvE-ennui combined with the previously hidden lowered numbers from general game abandonment that suddenly were lain bare… et voilà — the start of the population crash of 2011.

Incarna then came along and managed to combine this on-going drop with its own brand of “let's change our customer-base”/NGE-style abandonment; the :18 months: coming to full fruition; the entire MT débâcle in its many many forms (Fearless, Hilmar's letter, the Ishukone Scorp); the “let's screw our fansite and third parties” débâcle, and thus we had the final avalanche made ready by that earlier thaw.

The funny thing is, my theory of what happened is fully in line with yours, but for some reason, you absolutely must believe that I'm only blaming Incarna, or that I'm only blaming PvE, when I said something quite different from the very start. This is why I'm calling you prejudiced: because you get so angry over what you think I'm saying that you fail to notice that we're largely in agreement.

Quote:
I am sure we could have a poll to see how much your posts are seen as a sort of self repeating loop, an insurance into getting a thread to 20+ pages long.
Weell… it's not really my fault if I have to ask repeatedly for people to produce facts to prop up their fantasies, and if they continuously fail to do so. Blink

Quote:
BTW you still have to reply me on the other thread why am I meant to extensively use and like the terribad new UI while you hated it.
Link?
Frying Doom
#394 - 2012-08-08 08:09:35 UTC
On the subject of PvE, it could really do with some new missions. I normally only play missions for 7-10 days a year but they are so repetitive and boring.

How full time mission runners are not just insane, I have no idea.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

XJennieX
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#395 - 2012-08-08 08:11:05 UTC
good riddance to op and whoever else quits for same reason. less gankers the better.
Biomass MeNOW
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#396 - 2012-08-08 08:26:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Biomass MeNOW
Mors Sanctitatis wrote:

But that's not what Eve is about. Eve is about PVP.

Incorrect.

World of Tanks is about PvP
Counterstrike is about PvP (and hacks)
Modern Warfare is about PvP

Those games have zero industry, zero manufacturing, no grinding PvE content to buy the next gee-gaw. They're about PvP, solely and nothing else.

Eve is about every thing else, and PvP. The PvP just happens to be a side junket for the few and the bloodthirsty... I should know, I have played eve for 9 years now and for many of those I was a hardcore PvP junkie.

As PvP became less about cat and mouse and more about hiding until you had overwhelming force, station games, bubbles, castrating webs, neutering NOS, and any of the dozens of PvP eliminating features I looked into other aspects of the game.
Why? Because they're there! Because Eve isn't solely a PvP game.

Until Eve became more of a second job than a game. That's when I hung up my hat. For 18 months I did other things... but Eve clawed me back; like that craving for caffeine or nicotine.

Now I've put down my scram and my web and chill doing exploration or manufacturing with my dozens of T2 BPOs; or go play any of a host of real PvP games when the invariable wardec comes along.

[Edit]
Honestly... Eve is more about being so complex it's a second Job. That is its undoing, right there. Not the wonky PvP that's just whack-a-mole, not the PvE masses with their crocodile tears; it's the fact that the game is more work than Play. All hours alliance callups to defend or take down 0.0 resources. Running around for hours, or even days, fueling tens or hundreds or even thousands of POS's. Managing alliances (god I hated that chore), rights, privelages, security; who can do what where and when.

An damn job.

Even running a production chain in Empire is a chore but at least I can manage it whenever I feel like it.

If CCP wants to bring numbers up they need to remove the complexity that they've spent a decade building. Make it a GAME again,and not the Job that they've turned it into.
Kryss Darkdust
The Skulls
#397 - 2012-08-08 08:32:01 UTC
I understand what Tipia is talking about here. Much of it makes sense but there is one point which I will never concede because I think the data that supports it is overwhelming and that is the undeniable fact that the large majority of Eve players don't participate in "combat" PvP. Thats not to say Eve is not a PvP game, but it offers tremendous amount of PvE outlets and this attracts a lot of players. This large player base seeks to play Eve's economic model be it mining, industry, research, invention, trade, transport and many player created services. These are legitimate players and if they seek more controls over their ability to avoid PvP, like it or not, CCP will ultimatly respond and in many ways already have.

That said, I do agree that creating artificial safety for PvE players is not a good approach for this type of game, but I also think that the state of the game right now is such that it has artificial risk free ganking which is also very hurtful to the game. For example using cheap throw away destroyers to blow up expensive large ships (Hulks) with what amounts to zero risk or pentalty. This is no more realistic than an artificial no fighting mechanic in High Sec.

Mind you I don't have anything against the concept of suicide ganking in Empire, I mean, I don't even think of it as ganking but rather simply a crime that exists in the game because it makes sense for it to exists and its a part of the game that should be there. I just don't believe the penalties for being a criminal are in line with the severity of the crime. Its really no different if the penalty was so high that no one does it.

Neither extreme is good, their needs to be more of a middle ground where their is a proper risk vs. reward.

Unfortunatly im not sure how a mechanic would work to acomplish that, and hence all Im doing is pointing out a problem without offering a solution.

The reality of Eve is that, if you don't love it like it is today, you should probobly go ahead and unsub. 

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#398 - 2012-08-08 08:40:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Biomass MeNOW wrote:
Those games have zero industry, zero manufacturing, no grinding PvE content to buy the next gee-gaw. They're about PvP, solely and nothing else.

Eve is about every thing else, and PvP.
…except that the “everything else” is also PvP in EVE, and that all of it is rather dependent on combat to have any meaning or purpose. Eve is about PvP through and through, and offers it in a huge variety of forms to appeal to almost any kind of mindset (except the “leave me alone and let me grind” one).

Kryss Darkdust wrote:
there is one point which I will never concede because I think the data that supports it is overwhelming and that is the undeniable fact that the large majority of Eve players don't participate in "combat" PvP.
They may not participate in it, but according to the studies made it is the most liked activity in EVE (source). Granted, it's unclear exactly what people put into the word “PvP” when they answered that, but still. The whole notion that combat is something only a few people do is not particularly well-supported.
Frying Doom
#399 - 2012-08-08 08:40:57 UTC
Kryss Darkdust wrote:
I understand what Tipia is talking about here. Much of it makes sense but there is one point which I will never concede because I think the data that supports it is overwhelming and that is the undeniable fact that the large majority of Eve players don't participate in "combat" PvP. Thats not to say Eve is not a PvP game, but it offers tremendous amount of PvE outlets and this attracts a lot of players. This large player base seeks to play Eve's economic model be it mining, industry, research, invention, trade, transport and many player created services. These are legitimate players and if they seek more controls over their ability to avoid PvP, like it or not, CCP will ultimatly respond and in many ways already have.

That said, I do agree that creating artificial safety for PvE players is not a good approach for this type of game, but I also think that the state of the game right now is such that it has artificial risk free ganking which is also very hurtful to the game. For example using cheap throw away destroyers to blow up expensive large ships (Hulks) with what amounts to zero risk or pentalty. This is no more realistic than an artificial no fighting mechanic in High Sec.

Mind you I don't have anything against the concept of suicide ganking in Empire, I mean, I don't even think of it as ganking but rather simply a crime that exists in the game because it makes sense for it to exists and its a part of the game that should be there. I just don't believe the penalties for being a criminal are in line with the severity of the crime. Its really no different if the penalty was so high that no one does it.

Neither extreme is good, their needs to be more of a middle ground where their is a proper risk vs. reward.

Unfortunatly im not sure how a mechanic would work to acomplish that, and hence all Im doing is pointing out a problem without offering a solution.

Personally I don't see ganking as a profession unless payed by a 3rd party. Ganking someone should cost you money. Now the amount it should cost you should simply be weighted against the Gankee's paranoia.
They have a huge tanked ship it will cost you a lot more than if they are foolish and have no tank at all.
But the current penalties for the crimes are good enough, it is more the enforcement of the negative status that is worrying.

Lexmana
#400 - 2012-08-08 08:56:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Lexmana