These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Two more accounts unsubbed.

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#321 - 2012-08-07 18:10:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Anslo wrote:
No, we're not talking about just being a live and active subscriptions.
Eh, no. We're talking about it being alive, which the subscriptions amply show. I should know — I made the initial claim. If you want to construct some kind of strawman or go off on some irrelevant tangent, then feel free to do so without me.

Quote:
I see no evidence of these unanswered issues.
Did you read the paragraph you responded to? Again, it contained for statements, a question, and two comparisons. Now, did you read your answer? It did not answer the question posed, but rather declared that your original request was impossible to answer as a way of moving the goal-posts when I answered it.

Quote:
The first link argument is you simply twisting words in your favor as was mentioned before by another user. […] The second link... […] As for the third article, "Although a great deal of media attention has been given to the negative effects of playing video games, relatively less attention has been paid to the positive effects of engaging in this activity. Video games in health care provide ample examples of innovative ways to use existing commercial games for health improvement or surgical training."
The first link says exactly what I said: that games are about more things than relaxation. It's not me twisting any words — it's exactly what the article states. The second link doesn't say anything and isn't scientific, and the third link is about training, not relaxation. So yes, I'm right, and you proved it quite nicely. Thank you.

Quote:
And what do those event's constitute? Black mail, scams, meta-gaming etc.
Yes. It's the kind of gameplay on a kind of scale that only EVE can offer, and which catches the fancy of the media and why it's pretty darn unique: the game events create spectacular enough stories to bring to the attention of the general public. Where you get the idea that it impacts real lives from, I can't tell, nor what makes you think that it would only reach the media for that reason. If anything, it's because it doesn't impact real lives, but still make for excellent stories that it becomes interesting — it's like that shocking twist in the TV series everyone is talking about.

…now if you want to talk about people taking a game seriously and letting it impact their lives, look up the kind of media attention the themepark games create, usually revolving around people killing themselves.

Quote:
I love how you think the NEX store is a focus on PvE content.
I don't. But that's another nice strawman to add to your collection. I already said what the dip was caused by, and guess what? PvE was a banner feature. So I guess this means you'll concede now, as promised.
Attica
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#322 - 2012-08-07 18:11:51 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Attica wrote:

I am leaving this thread now, maybe :), you sir have perfectly stated all I could have hoped to convey. Still I realise that the gankers wont see it your way, rose colored glasses make unbiased viewing quite impossible. 10/10 for your unbiased take on why things are headed where they are headed.

You do realise that high sec has neven been safer than right now right?

If you want to see bad you should have been around for M0o

Been here since 6-4-2003. I remember MOo and BoB, those corps that could single-handedly change the course of the game. You bring up a good point though. Wonder if we can get actual numbers on how many ships were destroyed between live and now and break them down to how many per month. That would shut one side up if not both.

Pirate tears are yummier than carebear tears for they come from the deeper well of anguish.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#323 - 2012-08-07 18:14:48 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:

the buff to dessys and implementation of cruisers that can fit t3 weapons and what people are calling "perma-hulkaggedon" and your post history proves you are a moron or a troll. Most likely the former.

Yet, when you look at the killboards you only ever see 3 or 4 highsec kills for every 30 or so ships killed and most of them are combat ships.

As for that buff, it also came with the removal of insurance for gank ships so in the end, the cost to gank is the same, only the ships used changed.
Pankas Carter
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#324 - 2012-08-07 18:15:03 UTC
Attica wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Attica wrote:

I am leaving this thread now, maybe :), you sir have perfectly stated all I could have hoped to convey. Still I realise that the gankers wont see it your way, rose colored glasses make unbiased viewing quite impossible. 10/10 for your unbiased take on why things are headed where they are headed.

Been here since 6-4-2003. I remember MOo and BoB, those corps that could single-handedly change the course of the game. You bring up a good point though. Wonder if we can get actual numbers on how many ships were destroyed between live and now and break them down to how many per month. That would shut one side up if not both.

You've got to normalize it against the active players per month, and even then "events" like hulkageddon are going to mess with your numbers.

Adama: Starbuck, what do you hear? Starbuck: Nothing but the rain. Adama: Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#325 - 2012-08-07 18:16:44 UTC
Attica wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Attica wrote:

Impossible unfortunatlly. The era of M0o, 8 heatsink geddons and beehive domi is now reserved to memories.
Josef Djugashvilis
#326 - 2012-08-07 18:17:44 UTC
How to seriously increase the difficulty level of Eve, stop training.

Train up to, say 20m skill points, (decent multi-racial frigate skill level) then try to do as much as possible with those skills.

This is not a signature.

Nerf Burger
Doomheim
#327 - 2012-08-07 18:39:18 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD TYPE40
I usually just ignore tippia's posts.

*snip*

EDIT: Flaming and personal attacks are not welcome here. Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules. Thank you - ISD Type40.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#328 - 2012-08-07 18:41:13 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Denidil wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
Anslo wrote:
No. I suggest you leave. You and your kind are what make this game have such a low population of players; because you pew at anything that moves, even in a tiny newb ship. For this game to thrive, PvP changes like what's happening should occur. Deal with it.

350k subscribers is not a "low population" in any way, shape or form, hope this helps

i'd like to see that be 700k, or 800k or more. that means CCP could hire more staff and speed of iteration would increase. if that means reducing (but not making suiciding) impossible then I'm fine with that. if that means making resource gathering more exciting i'm ok with that (also because that probably means the ships we pew pew with will cost less because new players entering the resource gathering professions).

and if it means making gooniebabies cry.. then i'm DEFINITELY ok with it

THIS. He gets it. Reign in the pvp and "HTFU" BS and bring in the masses. Slowly amp up pvp a little bit to get them used to it. More subscribers, more capital, a bigger game, more lore and story, more shiny ships, more bug fixes, more hiring, bigger company, better stuff, greater expansions. EVERYONE WINS.

But as I said, PvP extremists are just stagnating the game to the point that "genetic diversity" in eve is so non-existent that it will make it an extinct relic of a failed game where it COULD have been the single greatest and largest MMO to date.

You ae basing all your crying on the argument that PVP is not what people want.

We all understand that you are afraid or have some other curious issues with combat, but all the other gamers actually like playing instead of ship spinning, and getting their subscriptions worth of experiences.

Oh and it's the oldest thriving and second largest MMO of all times, btw.
Cool

Nerf Burger
Doomheim
#329 - 2012-08-07 18:46:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Nerf Burger
Roime wrote:

You ae basing all your crying on the argument that PVP is not what people want.

no, he isn't. Try to think rationally instead of jumping to extreme conclusions. So many stupid arguments like this coming from the crybabies.
ISD TYPE40
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#330 - 2012-08-07 18:48:40 UTC
That is quite enough of that. This thread has been cleaned multiple times with a request that you stay on topic and refrain from trolling, personal insults and flaming. If that is proving too difficult then I will just lock this thread.

While I understand that some subjects are sensitive and can bring out the passion in people, I would ask that you all think before you post, stay on topic and cease with the aforementioned behaviours. Good discussions can benefit us all, lets not ruin them please.

Personal insults, trolling and flame posts removed - ISD Type40.

[b]ISD Type40 Lt. Commander Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#331 - 2012-08-07 18:48:51 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Nerf Burger wrote:
I usually just ignore tippia's posts. *snip*

Tippia is the only one to present any evidence so far...

EDIT: Pardon the intrusion, just editing that quote - ISD Type40.

EDIT: no problem my good man - Baltec1
Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#332 - 2012-08-07 18:57:06 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Malphilos wrote:
Tippia wrote:
We're talking about being alive, which is what the subscription numbers amply show.

Yep, if one person held 500K subs and no one else played at all, the game would be even more alive and well than it is now by your standard.

Well, alive at least. Which is why you deliberately restrict the discussion.

EVE is growing while the new TOR MMO has bled 700k subs in less than 6 months. Which is heathier?

So you're saying that if one person bought 700k subs to TOR it'd be healthier (and thus we imply better) than EVE?

Or is this just the straw tangent?

I don't much care, my point is that standard is nonsense and it's being used that way for a reason.
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#333 - 2012-08-07 19:20:57 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:
I usually just ignore tippia's posts.

*snip*

EDIT: Flaming and personal attacks are not welcome here. Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules. Thank you - ISD Type40.

I managed to read your little rant before the ISD snipped it. I have to say, hypocrisy at it's finest there, you claim Tippia gives closed minded arguments yet it's just what you do, in fact you don't provide any argument, you just rant like a spoilt child. Every post of yours that I've seen has been the same rambling crap.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Virgil Travis
#334 - 2012-08-07 19:21:55 UTC
Malphilos wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Malphilos wrote:
Tippia wrote:
We're talking about being alive, which is what the subscription numbers amply show.

Yep, if one person held 500K subs and no one else played at all, the game would be even more alive and well than it is now by your standard.

Well, alive at least. Which is why you deliberately restrict the discussion.

EVE is growing while the new TOR MMO has bled 700k subs in less than 6 months. Which is heathier?

So you're saying that if one person bought 700k subs to TOR it'd be healthier (and thus we imply better) than EVE?

I don't much care, my point is that standard is nonsense and it's being used that way for a reason.

Is that the same MMO that they're now calling TORtanic?

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#335 - 2012-08-07 19:22:48 UTC
Malphilos wrote:

Gonna have to say yes.

But a growing game is heathier than a shrinking one. Which means EVE is doing better than just about any of it rivals.
Oraac Ensor
#336 - 2012-08-07 19:54:53 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Anslo wrote:

2) Please, point me to an article of scientific caliber stating that the majority of individual's don't play games to relax but to compete, get angry, and chest beat against other individuals.

There is this little known event currently going on on some little lsland called the Olympic games which falls into this area.

The competitors in the Olympic Games represent only a small minority of the total who play sports, most of whom do so for pleasure and relaxation.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#337 - 2012-08-07 19:58:50 UTC
Oraac Ensor wrote:
The competitors in the Olympic Games represent only a small minority of the total who play sports, most of whom do so for pleasure and relaxation.

Clearly you have never played rugby before.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#338 - 2012-08-07 20:16:34 UTC
Tippia wrote:

No. We hit a peak in 2011, which was killed by Incursion, Incarna and a general lack of attention to the core (PvP) gameplay of the game. This decline was reversed at the mere hint of more core-gameplay focus in Crucible, and at the same time, the subscription numbers shot right up again.

Biased fallacity. Numbers tanked not (just) because of Incarna or lack PvP focus but because of repeated horrible PR down stunts like "greed is good", "fearless" and internal papers leaking out and exposing all sorts of bad news to EvE players.

I usually just skip replying your posts except when you are useful (read: making me sell lots of Macks in the barges thread) but this repeated lies of yours - just to bring water to your mill - are really annoying.

Said that, EvE will do fine both without extreme bears and extreme though guys. Expecially forum only though guys.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#339 - 2012-08-07 20:19:25 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

>comparing vehicles priced at $20,000-$230,000 and games with monthly fees of $15.

And you say my logic is broken.

Idiot.

no, hes right, it is a stupid comparison.

EVE is actually the game bad mmo players eventually arrive at once they have have gotten **** on in other more skill demanding games. EVEs only real niche, if you can even call it that, is spaceships. If you like spaceships, then eve is a good mmo to play.

Anyone crying about the game being dumbed down for bad players makes the statement in irony. The game is already designed for bad players. If you want a truly skill-based mmorpg with full loot, no safety zones, territorial control and clan warfare, you play Darkfall.

As PvP games player (from MUDs to Darkfall) I kinda agree with you.
Only difference is that EvE shines on the "macro" PvP (while sucking very hard at fighting skills), most of the other games don't cater to long term strategy and focus on fighting skills.
Virgil Travis
#340 - 2012-08-07 20:25:56 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Oraac Ensor wrote:

Clearly you have never played rugby before.

Nothing like a game of rugby to help you relax...