These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Two more accounts unsubbed.

First post
Author
Anslo
Scope Works
#281 - 2012-08-07 17:01:55 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Anslo wrote:

2) Please, point me to an article of scientific caliber stating that the majority of individual's don't play games to relax but to compete, get angry, and chest beat against other individuals.

There is this little known event currently going on on some little lsland called the Olympic games which falls into this area.

Sorry for not clarifying, I didn't think I needed to. I meant video games, not real world sports. That's a different story.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Lexmana
#282 - 2012-08-07 17:05:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Lexmana
Anslo wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Anslo wrote:

2) Please, point me to an article of scientific caliber stating that the majority of individual's don't play games to relax but to compete, get angry, and chest beat against other individuals.

There is this little known event currently going on on some little lsland called the Olympic games which falls into this area.

Sorry for not clarifying, I didn't think I needed to. I meant video games, not real world sports. That's a different story.

Why stop there. EVE is a PvP centric sandbox Internet spaceships subscription MMO. Do you know of any other PvP centric sandbox Internet spaceships subscription MMOs that has catered to the masses and been successful by providing relaxation?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#283 - 2012-08-07 17:05:23 UTC
Anslo wrote:
1) It's alive (some what)
Incorrect. Last we saw any numbers, it was more alive than ever, having broken the 400k subs line and still going up.

Quote:
Your assumption is invalid
So are all of yours. The difference is that my “assumptions” are not assumptions, but facts. If you want to argue these facts, do so, and stop with the red herrings. Answer the question: what else would it be? Do the comparisons with other games that have come and gone.

Quote:
2) Please, point me to an article of scientific caliber stating that the majority of individual's don't play games to relax
Sure, as soon as you point to one showing that game and relaxation are equivalent. Also, while you're at it, produce one that shows that relaxation comes in only one form.

Quote:
I don't understand what you're trying to convey in your third point.
Tough. It should be simple enough. EVE has produced mass-media coverage of a kind that no other game manages.

Quote:
Stagnation data here. We hit a peak in 2010 and have been on a slow and steady decline in server population since then.
Wow. Numbers really aren't your thing, are they?

No. We hit a peak in 2011, which was killed by Incursion, Incarna and a general lack of attention to the core (PvP) gameplay of the game. This decline was reversed at the mere hint of more core-gameplay focus in Crucible, and at the same time, the subscription numbers shot right up again.

As for the discussion on the forum, they are the same as always, except that the highsec whiners have maybe become a bit more loud and obnoxious in the incessant entitlement issues. The noise has also increased as subscription numbers have increased, which is hardly surprising — more people = more shouting.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#284 - 2012-08-07 17:05:31 UTC
Denidil wrote:
Richard may be a bit over reacting to the high sec changes, but the simple fact is I don't know anyone who has been suicide ganked.. it isn't THAT much of an influence to the game.

Not that it doesn't happen but there's a lot of miners and not all that many gankers in comparison.

It's more about what happens if you all decide to cluster around that not-suspicious-at-all Typhoon with no tank...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#285 - 2012-08-07 17:08:36 UTC
Hammer Borne wrote:
Don't put words in my mouth.
Good thing that I didn't, then. I simply took your words and applied them to the actual context and state of the game and its community.

I even managed to do it without resorting to insults.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#286 - 2012-08-07 17:09:26 UTC
Anslo wrote:
[

And why should I not have an MMO that allows me to compeat with others?
Nerf Burger
Doomheim
#287 - 2012-08-07 17:10:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Nerf Burger
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

>comparing vehicles priced at $20,000-$230,000 and games with monthly fees of $15.

And you say my logic is broken.

Idiot.

no, hes right, it is a stupid comparison.

EVE is actually the game bad mmo players eventually arrive at once they have have gotten **** on in other more skill demanding games. EVEs only real niche, if you can even call it that, is spaceships. If you like spaceships, then eve is a good mmo to play.

Anyone crying about the game being dumbed down for bad players makes the statement in irony. The game is already designed for bad players. If you want a truly skill-based mmorpg with full loot, no safety zones, territorial control and clan warfare, you play Darkfall.
Richard Desturned
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#288 - 2012-08-07 17:13:01 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

>comparing vehicles priced at $20,000-$230,000 and games with monthly fees of $15.

Idiot.

EVE is actually the game bad mmo players eventually arrive at once they have have gotten **** on in other more skill demanding games. EVEs only real niche, if you can even call it that, is spaceships. If you like spaceships, then eve is a good mmo to play.

are you unironically trying to say that EVE, a game which is notorious for its steep learning curve, is not skill demanding compared to other games

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#289 - 2012-08-07 17:13:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Nerf Burger wrote:
EVEs only real niche, if you can even call it that, is spaceships. If you like spaceships, then eve is a good mmo to play.
Nah. If you like spaceships, there are a couple of games out there.

EVE's niche is the standard marquee selling point: single-shard full-PvP sandbox. It's also rather famous for being fiendishly complex, which I suppose might appeal to the “challenge me” crowd, but I'm not sure it's really a niche in the strictest sense.
Anslo
Scope Works
#290 - 2012-08-07 17:14:42 UTC
Tippia wrote:
blablabla

1) I love how people continue to assume that more subscriptions=more diversity in the player base. Please prove these are new people. If new, why is the average for only population continuing to drop?

2) Facts? Oh you mean those numbers twisted into the same cookie cutter argument used god knows how many times?

3) OK. Recovery and Relaxation Study.Pros and Cons. Therapy. Games through various studies have been utilized and made to be tools of relaxation and recovery to diminish the affects of stress one gets during a regular day, NOT to come on to deal with more stress.

4) I wouldn't call a few articles in the Tech section of BBC unparalleled mass-media coverage.

5) See previous posts. And I wouldn't call this recovering. We never recovered from 2011, and the graph is trending down.

Anslo
Scope Works
#291 - 2012-08-07 17:16:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Anslo
Richard Desturned wrote:
Nerf Burger wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Idiot.

are you unironically trying to say that EVE, a game which is notorious for its steep learning curve, is not skill demanding compared to other games

are you unironically trying to say that EVE's steep learning curve now isn't just being able to join the right blob with enough ass kissing?

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#292 - 2012-08-07 17:17:19 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:

Anyone crying about the game being dumbed down for bad players makes the statement in irony. The game is already designed for bad players. If you want a truly skill-based mmorpg with full loot, no safety zones, territorial control and clan warfare, you play Darkfall.

This why when the topic of EVE comes up in other games this doesnt get posted
Nerf Burger
Doomheim
#293 - 2012-08-07 17:19:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Nerf Burger
Richard Desturned wrote:
Nerf Burger wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Idiot.

it depends on how you define skill, you define skill as general competency. I define skill as quick reflexes, accuracy, use of terrain, motion prediction, map awareness, game sense and actions per minute, all of which are totally irreleveant in EVE gameplay.

If so many eve pirates weren't so awful at skill-based games, you would all be playing darkfall, except those who limit themselves to space games only.
Hammer Borne
Doomheim
#294 - 2012-08-07 17:19:57 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Hammer Borne wrote:
Don't put words in my mouth.
Good thing that I didn't, then. I simply took your words and applied them to the actual context and state of the game and its community.

I even managed to do it without resorting to insults.

No, you didn't. You implied I shared your opinion on the matter. I don't. Your opinion is no more correct than anyone else's no matter how many times you reply and try to twist people's posts around in your favor.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#295 - 2012-08-07 17:20:00 UTC
Anslo wrote:
are you unironically trying to say that EVE's steep learning curve now isn't just being able to join the right blood with enough ass kissing?

Ass kissing eh... hm

They lured me to EVE, so I don't know if that applies.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Richard Desturned
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#296 - 2012-08-07 17:20:08 UTC
Anslo wrote:
are you unironically trying to say that EVE's steep learning curve now isn't just being able to join the right blood with enough ass kissing?

Joining the "right blood" doesn't automatically make you a good player.

Blawrf McTaggart
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#297 - 2012-08-07 17:20:52 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Joining the "right blood" doesn't automatically make you a good player.

goonwaffe.txt
Richard Desturned
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#298 - 2012-08-07 17:22:00 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:
it depends on how you define skill, you define skill as general competency. I define skill as quick reflexes, accuracy, use of terrain, motion prediction, map awareness, game sense and actions per minute, all of which are totally irreleveant in EVE gameplay.

Oh man you're so wrong here that I don't know where to start

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#299 - 2012-08-07 17:22:30 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
are you unironically trying to say that EVE, a game which is notorious for its steep learning curve, ...

EVE's "steep learning curve" was mostly a matter of it's notoriously deficient and inaccurate documentation.

Evidence the number of "vets" complaining that new tool tips and tutorials are "dumbing down" the game.

Even Checkers can be hard if you refuse to tell people where the board is.
Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#300 - 2012-08-07 17:23:36 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Denidil wrote:
Richard may be a bit over reacting to the high sec changes, but the simple fact is I don't know anyone who has been suicide ganked.. it isn't THAT much of an influence to the game.

Not that it doesn't happen but there's a lot of miners and not all that many gankers in comparison.

It's more about what happens if you all decide to cluster around that not-suspicious-at-all Typhoon with no tank...

i know it happens.. i see the killboard entries on eve-kill. my mining alt hasn't even ever been buzzed by a suicide's scout. but then.. i generally park her way out of the way where little to no one is and i pay attention.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.