These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Two more accounts unsubbed.

First post
Author
Anslo
Scope Works
#261 - 2012-08-07 16:39:12 UTC
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:
Wrong. If this game catered to the masses, it would last long. WoW lasted long. Guild Wars lasts long.

Can you give an estimate of how many games that catered to the masses that didn't last long or are you just picking the top .1% of all games to prove your thesis while ignoring the other 99.9%?

The fact is: EVE is one of the most successful MMOs ever because it is a niche game with a loyal fanbase.

I compare it to those two because they popped into my head while I typed. Aside from that, if one wishes to claim CCP is one of the "big boys," then it must be compared to the big boys of the MMO industry, being GW, WoW, et al. It isn't ignoring the other MMO's such as say, Vindictus or Star Trek Online (lol), as much as it is accurately categorizing it with, as you claim, other companies which stand on equal or greater footing with CCP and Eve Online in terms of population, capital gain, ROI, and these companies' bottom line.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#262 - 2012-08-07 16:41:31 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Prove PvP has directly kept this game alive
It's a PvP game. It was a PvP game from the start. It's still a PvP game now, and it's still alive. What else would it be?

Compare this to the many mass-appeal games that have come, failed, and gone in the same time span. Compare this to the few games that tried to alter their focus and replace their customers. There is a very famous example of this…

Quote:
Playing a game to relax is fundamentally the purpose of a game, the original intent of its creation.
No. Playing a game can be done for many many reasons. Relaxation isn't necessarily one of them.

Quote:
What media coverage?
The media coverage in main-stream media that no other game really manages, since none of them generate the kind of stories EVE creates.

Quote:
It already has stagnated.
Prove it. This time, use actual facts, rather than your guesswork and unfounded assumptions.
Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#263 - 2012-08-07 16:41:31 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Anslo wrote:
No you just chase away new blood and, in turn, new infusions of money. You are undesirables and should be treated as thus.

no, not really

i'm going to have to agree with you here Richard.. Anslo that was stupid.

Richard may be a bit over reacting to the high sec changes, but the simple fact is I don't know anyone who has been suicide ganked.. it isn't THAT much of an influence to the game.

the actual actions they take in the game aren't the problem. the high vs nullsec siege mentality on the forums IS the issue - and in that regard YOU'RE BOTH NOT HELPING.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#264 - 2012-08-07 16:41:34 UTC
Anslo wrote:
I compare it to those two because they popped into my head while I typed. Aside from that, if one wishes to claim CCP is one of the "big boys," then it must be compared to the big boys of the MMO industry, being GW, WoW, et al. It isn't ignoring the other MMO's such as say, Vindictus or Star Trek Online (lol), as much as it is accurately categorizing it with, as you claim, other companies which stand on equal or greater footing with CCP and Eve Online in terms of population, capital gain, ROI, and these companies' bottom line.

you're seriously trying to compare CCP to Blizzard and NCsoft

I don't know what to say

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Denidil
#265 - 2012-08-07 16:42:12 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Anslo wrote:

I don't know what to say

he is rather dumb.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Anslo
Scope Works
#266 - 2012-08-07 16:42:22 UTC
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Prove PvP has directly kept this game alive as opposed to altering the focus of the game to cater to masses who play games to relax. Playing a game to relax is fundamentally the purpose of a game, the original intent of its creation. More fun, more people. Simple.

Don't you think there have been better ways to relax for the last decade than spreadsheets in space? Are you really arguing that EVE players are so inept they couldn't do better if all they wanted to do was relax?

They should be free to choose how to relax. If they want to relax by exploring Egghelende with probes for fun and giggles, then they by all means should be allowed that opportunity without some thick necked over bearing brute pounding on their ship for the 21st time to simply pad his KB and enjoy ruining someone's day. If you want to PvP, fine by me. However, most of us just want you to leave us alone and let us enjoy the beauty of space as so provided by CCP.

Richard Desturned wrote:
[quote=Anslo]No you just chase away new blood and, in turn, new infusions of money. You are undesirables and should be treated as thus.

no, not really

Yes, really. Whether you do it on purpose or not as a means of subterfuge against CCP to close the game down is debatable. But the end product of your BS is easily gleaned.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#267 - 2012-08-07 16:43:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Anslo wrote:
Best Community back in early 2000.
2010. But close — just one number off. A fairly significant number, admittedly, but only one. Anything else you want to invent rather than rely on easily available facts?

Quote:
If you want me to start using accurate numbers and statistically prove you a moron, I'd be happy to.
You have only been able to produce uninformed, easily disproven, nonsensical drivel and personal attacks so far, so yes, it would be a nice change if you could actually produce a single fact for once.
Luc Chastot
#268 - 2012-08-07 16:44:46 UTC
Sir, could I have a billion or two? Thank you. Good luck.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Simetraz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#269 - 2012-08-07 16:44:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Simetraz
Denidil wrote:
Simetraz wrote:
CCP just need to remove gate guns from All gates EXCEPT the ones that border on high-sec.

Once you are in low-sec there is plenty of other restrictions to keep things in check.

I don't have a problem with gate guns being nasty on the border gate, after that welcome to low-sec.

i always thought gate guns in lowsec were sorta dumb. i suppose it deters instalocking tackle frigates, but there has to be a better way of doing that.

Well just from a basic play aspect and from a RP aspect the gates to high-sec would and should be gaurded fairly well.
You shouldn't be able to camp them very effectively.

After that though there is no concord so there really shouldn't be any gate guns either.
It would give people a free pass per say to a low-sec system so they could learn the rules after that there is no free pass,
New player friendly so to speak.

One thing people forget when you talking about the good old days was that the population was ALOT smaller and as such you could run into a gate camp but most of the time the gates were open, in fact most of the systems where empty.
As the population goes up the gate camps have increased and there is always someone in local.

So the good old days had an advantage that obviously nobody wants to admit too.
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#270 - 2012-08-07 16:44:54 UTC
Denidil wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
Anslo wrote:

I don't know what to say

he is rather dumb.

it's not like NCsoft and Blizzard's R&D budgets likely exceed CCP's annual revenue by virtue of having a miles-long portfolio of successful games that predate CCP as a company

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Lexmana
#271 - 2012-08-07 16:48:11 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:
Wrong. If this game catered to the masses, it would last long. WoW lasted long. Guild Wars lasts long.

Can you give an estimate of how many games that catered to the masses that didn't last long or are you just picking the top .1% of all games to prove your thesis while ignoring the other 99.9%?

The fact is: EVE is one of the most successful MMOs ever because it is a niche game with a loyal fanbase.

Your logic is quite broken because you fail to see that CCP is one of the big boys because it produced a niche game very well. It is similar to Ferrari in the car industry. By your logic Ferrari should give up their niche and try to cater to Toyota owners.
Denidil
#272 - 2012-08-07 16:48:46 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:

it's not like NCsoft and Blizzard's R&D budgets likely exceed CCP's annual revenue by virtue of having a miles-long portfolio of successful games that predate CCP as a company

yup

i may not agree with you all the time, and i may give you **** for it.. but you're not dumb. he seems to be.

Anslo
Scope Works
#273 - 2012-08-07 16:49:42 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Anslo wrote:
Prove PvP has directly kept this game alive
1) It's a PvP game. It was a PvP game from the start. It's still a PvP game now, and it's still alive. What else would it be?

Compare this to the many mass-appeal games that have come, failed, and gone in the same time span. Compare this to the few games that tried to alter their focus and replace their customers. There is a very famous example of this…

Quote:
Playing a game to relax is fundamentally the purpose of a game, the original intent of its creation.
2) No. Playing a game can be done for many many reasons. Relaxation isn't necessarily one of them.

Quote:
What media coverage?
3) The media coverage in main-stream media that no other game really manages, since none of them generate the kind of stories EVE creates.

Quote:
It already has stagnated.
4) Prove it. This time, use actual facts, rather than your guesswork and unfounded assumptions.

1) It's alive (some what) as a PvP game because that's all it's been made to be, it's never gone down a different path long enough before PvP extremists scream bloody murder. Your assumption is invalid as there is no way to compare data based on two different circumstance. But with this logic, this makes my point moot as well. So for this point, we have reached an impasse and I concede.

2) Please, point me to an article of scientific caliber stating that the majority of individual's don't play games to relax but to compete, get angry, and chest beat against other individuals.

3) I don't understand what you're trying to convey in your third point. Retype.

4) Stagnation data here. We hit a peak in 2010 and have been on a slow and steady decline in server population since then. Consider then, that population of eve and the content of past forum posts and discussion at the game's inception, versus today. Posts, discussion, the game itself was more civil and attractive versus now. Simply look back at past forum posts and current forum posts. Look at the issues brought up back then by Dev's versus now. It's all become whining and meta-gaming and hurr hurr pvp roolz pve loosers suck.

Anslo
Scope Works
#274 - 2012-08-07 16:51:36 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Anslo wrote:

I don't know what to say

When people say Eve is one of the best Western MMO's out there, yes, I will compare them. Otherwise stop trying to fanboy so hard. Not necessarily directed at you, but others.

Anslo
Scope Works
#275 - 2012-08-07 16:53:28 UTC
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Your logic is quite broken because you fail to see that CCP is one of the big boys because it produced a niche game very well. It is similar to Ferrari in the car industry. By your logic Ferrari should give up their niche and try to cater to Toyota owners.

>comparing vehicles priced at $20,000-$230,000 and games with monthly fees of $15.

And you say my logic is broken.

Lexmana
#276 - 2012-08-07 16:54:39 UTC
Anslo wrote:

4) Stagnation data here. We hit a peak in 2010 and have been on a slow and steady decline in server population since then.

You are making things up as you go don't you? The peak was in 2011. Then there was incarna/monoclegate. It is not a steady decline there was at least one peak also in 2012.
Anslo
Scope Works
#277 - 2012-08-07 16:57:27 UTC
Lexmana wrote:
Anslo wrote:

4) Stagnation data here. We hit a peak in 2010 and have been on a slow and steady decline in server population since then.

You are making things up as you go don't you? The peak was in 2011. Then there was incarna/monoclegate. It is not a steady decline there was at least one peak also in 2012.

January 6, 2011 saw a peak of 36K+ average players, after that it has been lowering. So yes it was 2011, I misread the click and I concede to that error, though I do not concede my error was me simply "making things up."

As for the 2012 peak, it did not surpass the original. A game's population should be going up over time, at all times. If in 2012 the peak average users were 40k+, and at current time at 45k+ or more, I'd be shutting up. However, looking at the data, well...

Hammer Borne
Doomheim
#278 - 2012-08-07 16:57:29 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Hammer Borne wrote:
His points about the crap community are, however, crystal clear. I happen to agree with all of them. Bad communities ruin games and this one has reached an all time low.
Good thing, then, that EVE has won multiple “best community” awards. Blink

But you're right. It has taken a bit of a downturn with all these “waah, I should be safe in highsec” whines that have popped up recently. Makes you wonder what failed themepark game all those lost souls are pouring in from. Since there are so many of them, it's kind of hard to tell these days.

Don't put words in my mouth. That is, exactly the kind of trash I was referring to. Going to extreme lengths to make it seem like your opinion is the only valid one.

Trash.
Lexmana
#279 - 2012-08-07 16:58:41 UTC
Anslo wrote:

>comparing vehicles priced at $20,000-$230,000 and games with monthly fees of $15.

And you say my logic is broken.

Idiot.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#280 - 2012-08-07 16:59:11 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Anslo wrote:

2) Please, point me to an article of scientific caliber stating that the majority of individual's don't play games to relax but to compete, get angry, and chest beat against other individuals.

There is this little known event currently going on on some little lsland called the Olympic games which falls into this area.